2002 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 1160 Ratings for the 2002 - 2005 models.

BEST VEHICLE EVER

By on Thursday, February 4, 2010

"2002 w/145000 mi, purchased new: Still has original spark plugs, shocks, exhaust, ball joints; no wheel alignment, no rust, no accidents. Replaced wheel bearings, A/C condensor, rear springs, and 4X4 shift control module - only major repairs. Replaced brakes 2(or 3) times and rear rotors once and 7 yr old battery; 80000 mi on first tires...still going good on second set. Changing oil every 3000mi, religeously. 15mpg city/20-21mpg hwy. COST to DRIVE: $.237/mi BEST VEHICLE EVER"

Great Buy

By on Sunday, November 18, 2007

"I recently purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer with the 4.6 Liter SOHC V8 and Four-Wheel Drive. I can say honestly that I haven't been happier about a vehicle I have bought. I was originally concerned about getting it since it is five years old and had 61,000 miles on it. Well, It now has almost 70,000 on it, has been to the Beach (Literally on it), in mud (Never once got stuck), and has been driven all over town and on the highways. I feel secure, it has pretty decent get-up-and-go, and is sure footed in the corners or under hard braking. I read a lot of car magazines, like Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and Road & Track, and so I did a little of my own testing. With mine being an Eddie Bauer with a V8, I got it to run to 60 in about 8 seconds. The fastest I had it was 110, maybe 112. There is a speed governor, so it tops out right around there. My average MPG in town is around 13, and on the highway I get about 20-21. Not great, but I've driven worse. Off-Road, the suspension travel leaves something to be desired. Numerous times I have encountered un-even terrain and gotten stuck. Well, not stuck, but couldn't go forward without a running start. Two tires come off the ground and even in four low, it won't go. When it has all four down, it seems like it is unstoppable by the elements of nature. I'm sure that I could get it stuck should I try, but I think I'll leave that to the guys that don't care about what they drive. The interior is extreamly comfortable, decently quiet, the stereo is clear and can get pretty loud, there is room for all five people (I have the five passenger model), and the view out is relatively good. One comment I get from alot of people is that fact that the rear windows go all the way down. The adults like that. With the window lock on, the Children have no control of the window and it proves to be very helpful with three to six year olds in the back. Cargo room is abundant, I have yet to use the roof racks cause I can fit everything I need in the back. I would strongly recommend that a person looking for a reliable mid-size sport utility stop by a Ford dealer or used-car lot, or heck, even your neighbors house to take a look at an Explorer. You can go wrong!"

One of the best vehicle I have owned!

By on Thursday, May 23, 2013

"This car has been one of the best that I have owned. The engine with 249000 miles on it has been untouched by a mechanic except for oil changes and a alternator at 152000 miles At 248500 miles I replaced valve cover gaskets and front rear end seals. At 180000 miles I replaced the right rear wheel seals."

My favorite vehicle of all times

By on Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Pros: "Love almost everything about it"

Cons: "Third row is a pain to get into"

"I owned many cars ,trucks, caravans and I have to say my 2004 FordEplorer is my favorite. It's definitly not a feminine vehicle .i have 189,000 miles with all origanal parts. I finally had to replace parts but only had to spend $2,500 for all new tires, bearing, upper lower control arm, alignment some rear work as well. This Truck never stood me wrong. I love how it rides. Mind you its not a smooth ride like a Honda pilot. This is a manly truck. I am afraid to get a newer model, newer is not always better"

This truck does it all for me Eddie Bauer V8

By on Monday, February 18, 2013

Pros: "Will do it all, haul people, cargo, lots of power"

Cons: "Bad reviews info screen too dark in daylight"

"I choose the 2002 explorer even though i have heard about all the problems, owning all fords my whole life i felt like i couldn't go wrong. I purchased it used from a ford dealership with 68,000. I have owned this vehicle for 4 years, eddie bauer v8 all wheel drive. I was a little apprehensive about this purchase, but i have to say that 4 years later i am very happy, only minor problems, i have put on 45,000 miles in four years, from highway driving, light off road/sand-dirt, and snow. I have heard alot of bad reviews about transmissions, and other serious problems, maybe im lucky, i have not experienced any of the major problems, i maintain it very well, changing major fluids before recommended intervals sometimes in the crucial areas like trans, transfer case, coolant. It is very fast, lots of extra power with the v8 that you don't get with the v6, i guess only time will tell!"