2001 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1185 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

FORD still stands for Fix Or Repair Daily!

By on Friday, October 4, 2013

Pros: "Plenty of rear rargo space"

Cons: "Reliability issues, weak acceleration (V6 models)"

1998 Ford Explorer XLT

"This is the third Explorer that I have owned since 1992. I purchased my current Explorer from a friend in 2009 to replace my '96 Explorer which literally rusted apart. When I bought this one, it was in excellent condition, with no issues and no rust, as it came from North Carolina. However, in the four years that I have owned it, all sorts of problems have appeared. The transmission has started to slip and I can no longer use the remote to open the door locks, as there is some sort of electrical malfunction (If I want to lock the doors, I must use the key code to open them). Also, there is a problem with the front passenger side window, as it come off it's tracks whenever I attempt to roll it down. Additionally, even though the tailgate itself opens with no problem, the rear tailgate glass will not open. The overdrive button will not engage, and I need a new Transfer Case. Now I realize that my truck is over 15 years old and has almost 150,000 miles on the odometer, but considering the fact that the truck has been taken care of it's whole life, I am a little disappointed in it's durability and reliability."

1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Very dependable

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Gets you out of trouble on the highway."

Cons: "Center armrest unhinged."

"I used this as my service vehicle (from client-to-client) , I purchased it with 44,000 miles on it and it still has the same feel when driving.The only thing that happened during my 10 year ownership was that the drivers side window regulator broke and the shifting cable slipped a notch, but it still runs great."

Excellent SUV

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Reasonable purchase price, cheap maintenance"

Cons: "Ride is stiff; not a crossover"

"I bought Explorer with 80k already on it, all I wanted was a vehicle that would last another 50k and not have to worry about messing up the family car hauling thing it it. Well almost 200k miles later it is still running great, I have had changed plugs regularly, changed wiring harness once, replaced generator once and other than tires and battery this is all I have done. It gets 18MPG on hwy and 14MPG town, nothing to brag about but what I paid for it and the CHEAP maintenance, I can live with the gas mileage. I do not drive much anymore and this is more than I need."

very dependable in winter

By on Friday, December 2, 2011

Pros: "love it, gets through piles of snow"

Cons: "pretty tall vehicle to get it"

"a great vehicle, very little upkeep to it, it is great for traveling and plenty of space for luggage in back, like the tinted windows"

durability

By on Saturday, March 6, 2010

"these vehicles have some of the most durable drive-trains i have ever owned all I have done is Beat my explorer getting stuck and rocking it out. driving completely sideways on ice or any wet surface pulling people out of the ditch towing stuff that should never be hooked up to a 6 cylinder. and yet it has given me no problems the auto 4x4 kicks in when ever I would need it its just an all around great truck"