2001 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1183 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

Takes a licking ,keeps on ticking

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Pros: "Responsive fun to drive,"

Cons: "center console armrest broke"

"Bought it about 9 years ago. Hands down best vehicle i ever owned. Never fails to get me where I need to go"

4x4 all weather love

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE & COMFORTABLE FOR FRONT PASSENGERS"

Cons: "greater seat belt adj. & larger rain duct diam."

"I'm the second owner. Purchased at 60,000 miles. Transmission ran a little rough at 99,000 miles - did 2 transmission fluid changes - cleared up any particulate in the system. Ran perfectly until 215,000 when I had the bands changed out. Runs just like it did at 60k mi. I take this vehicle for mild off-road exploring. It gets me to work through heavy snow and weather conditions when others in pricier all wx-traction vehicles are stuck on the side of the road. I regularly get 17.8 mpg. During snow conditions in 4wd high gear my mpg drops to 14. Still handles well. Corners pretty tightly for an SUV. I am having some trouble with the rain ducts around the sun-roof, but that can be helped by keeping the ducts clear so they don't back up in heavy rains. The only mild complaint I've had from passengers in the back seat on long trips is that the seat's aren't the most comfortable, but still not bad, and they'd like a head rest and greater adjustment on the seat-belt height so it won't choke shorter passengers. (I'd like that too.) I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!! Good maintenance = long life. FANTASTIC ENGINE!!! SMOOTH!!!"

TRANSMISSION

By on Friday, October 24, 2008

"for 99 and 2000 ford explorer V8 have a problem with their tansmission computer. half of them that experiance a tansmission failure is due to this. Mine has been in and out of the shop for 6 months because of this and is finally almost working (has to go in for transmission fluid leak because of a terrible mechanic). I would avoid this car in a V8 model!"

modern day Sherman Tank

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"The bad; 18 miles per gallon gasoline. 3 transmissions in 200k miles. 2 150 dollar each front hub wheel bearings 200k miles. 1 40 dollar fan belt adjuster assembly 180k miles. 1 160 dollar altenator 200k miles. 1 faulty under hood electronic relay box. 0 will not turn heads at a dragstrip. The good; Engine rpm to gear ratios excellent. Will take a logging trail surprisingly well. Ford quality interior and acoustics. Switches standing the test of time. Seats and ride quality better than GM or Dodge. Engine surprisingly strong with 200k miles [knock on wood]."

This car has been a joy to drive.

By on Monday, January 9, 2017

Pros: "Comfortable, stylish-looking & a great value"

Cons: "Not too many I can think of"

"This has been an excellent vehicle that has served me well the entire time I have owned it. It is beautiful looking, one of the Limited Edition Explorers, and very comfortable to drive in. It has been a cherished member of my family."

good vehicle

By on Monday, September 14, 2009

"I purchased a 99 ford explorer with over 140,00 miles on it (scary, i know) but to my surprise i have not had any serious problems with it...it now has 182,000 miles on it and i have not had to replace anything on it.the only minor problem i had was the driver side door latch would not unlock..but that cost me 50 bucks to fix..decent vehicle. when im done with college i may get a new ford explorer"

Best Rig I've Ever Owned

By on Tuesday, September 1, 2009

"I have driven my 1998 Ford Explorer for the last 12 years…I purchased in new and I just love it. After all these years I have had no major repairs. The rig has the original alternator, starter, transmission, engine, A/C & P/S. All interior lights, electronics, and power windows, seats are original without any problems and no leaks anywhere. The only problems are that the transmission needed some adjustments while the rig was under warranty. The transmission was making a hissing sound when idling. It did have an overheated issue due to a stuck thermostat. I had to replace the front wheel bearings & rotors. And I needed to put in a new turn signal. The rig is just a solid safe and comfortable truck. It’s drives much smoother and is has noticeably less road noise then my wife’s 2002 Honda Odyssey (which is a great people mover car and more practical that the Explorer) If the transmission dies I would have it fixed, but if the engine dies it would need to put her down. I’m planning to get at least 5 more years out of so I can give it to my daughter. I would love to get a new rig, but I can’t find anything better than my 1998 Ford Explorer XLT, that costs less than $50,000. Keep on trucking!!!"

Great SUV

By on Thursday, March 6, 2008

"I have had this 98 XLT for 2 years now. All I have done is normal maintance other then I had to replace the intake Manifold gaskets. that I did myself in 2 hours. Ive put 17,000 miles on it since I have had it, has 145,120 miles on it. I have drove it from Columbus, ohio to New Orleans, LA, with no problems at all and got 20mpg, only down fall is comfort on the long trip. Only other problem is the Radio/clock display dont work, but the radio, CD and tape works great, the display comes on once in a great while for a few minutes. I also have a 92 explorer non 4x4 that I have had the transmission rebuilt twice, the A4LD transmissions are junk, so if you want to buy a explorer or ranger Have the transmissions checked, and avoid the A4LDs!!"

Very good vehicle except for the transmission.

By on Monday, July 4, 2016

Pros: "very good vehicle with a significant flaw"

Cons: "transmission"

"This 4WD EX has been a very good vehicle except for the transmission. It had to be replaced with a rebuilt three times. Ford paid for less than half of the first replacement only. The first two replacements were done at a Ford dealer. The only one that lasted was the third. It was done by a transmission specialist (not at the dealership)."

Hasn't failed me yet!

By on Friday, March 21, 2014

Pros: "Great 4x4, timeless design, comfortable cabin"

Cons: "horrible gas mileage, underpowered"

The day I got it! Clean & lookin' sharp.

"So this was my first truck, and I bought it used with just over 150k miles about a year ago. It's a 1997 Explorer Sport, and this thing has just blown me away. I've put almost 40k miles on it in the last year, and I haven't had a single problem other than an $8 heater control valve. Every morning it starts without hesitation, even with the unusual winter we've had in NC. Which brings me to one of my biggest points; the 4x4 on this truck is incredible. My Explorer is equipped with the optional limited slip differential, combined with the ControlTrak 4x4 system, I had no issues in the snow and ice. I have to drive in moderate off road/muddy conditions every day, and I have never had a problem, even running with cheap Dextero street tires. I drive it hard, take 7-8 hour long trips frequently, off road daily, and haul friends and family everywhere. It's comfortable, it runs smooth, it's got plenty of towing torque, and it's safe. I do have a few complaints though. One, the base 4.0 OHV V6 is severely under-powered and requires a lead foot pulling out on to highways. The gas mileage is absolute garbage. It feels hesitant in tight corners, and the transmission is starting to shift hard. Considering what I put the truck through, I'm not surprised. To make up for those complaints though, I installed an aftermarket air intake, it gave a bit more power and improved the mileage by 2-3mpg. A $200 investment that's already paid for itself. All in all, this truck has never failed me, and is, for lack of better words, Built Ford Tough."

The day I got it! Clean & lookin' sharp.