2000 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1185 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

Takes a licking ,keeps on ticking

By on Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Pros: "Responsive fun to drive,"

Cons: "center console armrest broke"

"Bought it about 9 years ago. Hands down best vehicle i ever owned. Never fails to get me where I need to go"

4x4 all weather love

By on Saturday, March 30, 2013

Pros: "RELIABLE & COMFORTABLE FOR FRONT PASSENGERS"

Cons: "greater seat belt adj. & larger rain duct diam."

"I'm the second owner. Purchased at 60,000 miles. Transmission ran a little rough at 99,000 miles - did 2 transmission fluid changes - cleared up any particulate in the system. Ran perfectly until 215,000 when I had the bands changed out. Runs just like it did at 60k mi. I take this vehicle for mild off-road exploring. It gets me to work through heavy snow and weather conditions when others in pricier all wx-traction vehicles are stuck on the side of the road. I regularly get 17.8 mpg. During snow conditions in 4wd high gear my mpg drops to 14. Still handles well. Corners pretty tightly for an SUV. I am having some trouble with the rain ducts around the sun-roof, but that can be helped by keeping the ducts clear so they don't back up in heavy rains. The only mild complaint I've had from passengers in the back seat on long trips is that the seat's aren't the most comfortable, but still not bad, and they'd like a head rest and greater adjustment on the seat-belt height so it won't choke shorter passengers. (I'd like that too.) I LOVE MY CAR!!!!!! Good maintenance = long life. FANTASTIC ENGINE!!! SMOOTH!!!"

TRANSMISSION

By on Friday, October 24, 2008

"for 99 and 2000 ford explorer V8 have a problem with their tansmission computer. half of them that experiance a tansmission failure is due to this. Mine has been in and out of the shop for 6 months because of this and is finally almost working (has to go in for transmission fluid leak because of a terrible mechanic). I would avoid this car in a V8 model!"

modern day Sherman Tank

By on Saturday, October 18, 2008

"The bad; 18 miles per gallon gasoline. 3 transmissions in 200k miles. 2 150 dollar each front hub wheel bearings 200k miles. 1 40 dollar fan belt adjuster assembly 180k miles. 1 160 dollar altenator 200k miles. 1 faulty under hood electronic relay box. 0 will not turn heads at a dragstrip. The good; Engine rpm to gear ratios excellent. Will take a logging trail surprisingly well. Ford quality interior and acoustics. Switches standing the test of time. Seats and ride quality better than GM or Dodge. Engine surprisingly strong with 200k miles [knock on wood]."

This car has been a joy to drive.

By on Monday, January 9, 2017

Pros: "Comfortable, stylish-looking & a great value"

Cons: "Not too many I can think of"

"This has been an excellent vehicle that has served me well the entire time I have owned it. It is beautiful looking, one of the Limited Edition Explorers, and very comfortable to drive in. It has been a cherished member of my family."