1996 Ford Explorer

8.2

Based on 1183 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

bough my 2000 with 127000

By on Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Pros: "All the extra toys and safty"

Cons: "Gas milage But worth it"

"I love this truck, Great when I go anywhere even fishing. Take off road no problem, I laugh at our snow fall now chews up the snow and spits it out, drove through 29 inch snow storm with ease. I feel very safe in this truck"

2001 Ford Explorer

By on Tuesday, January 22, 2008

"Bought vehicle with 60,000 miles. Now has over 125,000. Have never done any work other than general maintanance. Not a lot of power, but only has the V6. Runs well, rides nice and gets decent mileage (16/21). Interior has held up well and all the electronics work great. Has been a very good, reliable vehicle and I would get another if I were looking for a new SUV."

FORD still stands for Fix Or Repair Daily!

By on Friday, October 4, 2013

Pros: "Plenty of rear rargo space"

Cons: "Reliability issues, weak acceleration (V6 models)"

1998 Ford Explorer XLT

"This is the third Explorer that I have owned since 1992. I purchased my current Explorer from a friend in 2009 to replace my '96 Explorer which literally rusted apart. When I bought this one, it was in excellent condition, with no issues and no rust, as it came from North Carolina. However, in the four years that I have owned it, all sorts of problems have appeared. The transmission has started to slip and I can no longer use the remote to open the door locks, as there is some sort of electrical malfunction (If I want to lock the doors, I must use the key code to open them). Also, there is a problem with the front passenger side window, as it come off it's tracks whenever I attempt to roll it down. Additionally, even though the tailgate itself opens with no problem, the rear tailgate glass will not open. The overdrive button will not engage, and I need a new Transfer Case. Now I realize that my truck is over 15 years old and has almost 150,000 miles on the odometer, but considering the fact that the truck has been taken care of it's whole life, I am a little disappointed in it's durability and reliability."

1998 Ford Explorer XLT

Very dependable

By on Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pros: "Gets you out of trouble on the highway."

Cons: "Center armrest unhinged."

"I used this as my service vehicle (from client-to-client) , I purchased it with 44,000 miles on it and it still has the same feel when driving.The only thing that happened during my 10 year ownership was that the drivers side window regulator broke and the shifting cable slipped a notch, but it still runs great."

Excellent SUV

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

Pros: "Reasonable purchase price, cheap maintenance"

Cons: "Ride is stiff; not a crossover"

"I bought Explorer with 80k already on it, all I wanted was a vehicle that would last another 50k and not have to worry about messing up the family car hauling thing it it. Well almost 200k miles later it is still running great, I have had changed plugs regularly, changed wiring harness once, replaced generator once and other than tires and battery this is all I have done. It gets 18MPG on hwy and 14MPG town, nothing to brag about but what I paid for it and the CHEAP maintenance, I can live with the gas mileage. I do not drive much anymore and this is more than I need."