1993 Ford Explorer

7.5

Based on 257 Ratings for the 1992 - 1994 models.

It Won't Give Up!

By on Thursday, September 11, 2008

"I have a '92 Explorer XLT with a 5 speed stick. I bought it used in Sept. '97 with 70,000 miles on it. Now, 11 years later, it has 197,000 miles and it just keeps going! I've done the recommended maintenance over the years: oil changes, coolant, serpentine belt, ect. I have also had to replace the power steering pump, starter, transfer case solenoid, wiper relay, center armrest support bracket. Overall, I have done nickle and dime maintanence and haven't done anything major. It's not a great offroad vehicle, but with good rubber it does fine in ice & snow. I get 20 mpg with my daily driving, and about 21 mpg out on the road.....it's geared too low to do better on the highway. The paint is fading in the last couple years, but what can you expect? It runs great and always gets me where I'm going. I will keep driving this one until the wheels fall off!"

suprizing value

By on Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Bought it used, cheap, showing 77K milage, has to be 177K. Didn't expect much. Needed a work vehicle. Gas gage didn't work. Typically, door handles broken, padded thing on console broken, etc. so it showed quite a bit of wear and tear. In the past 5 months, I've put 20K miles on it, without ever touching a thing. It doesn't use oil, it starts first time, every time. If it runs low on fuel, the fuel pump gets hot and cranky, but if you keep a decent amount of gas in it, it's fine. With no gas gage, I just allowed for 15 mpg in town driving and always set the trip meter so as not to run out. AFter a few weeks, I couldn't put gas in it, it was already full. So, around town driving, I've now figured out, it gets closer to 19 or 20. Better than the advertised milage on the new Ford Escape. Rides rough. If you've worked all day, and your back hurts, this is not going to be a comfortable ride home. Other than that, it's an excellent value."

Takes a Licking, keeps Ticking

By on Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"I have one of the original models (12/90); for two years drove it around central Calif coast for 18,000 miles, then Seoul South Korea for another 90,000 miles. Korea is a tough place for vehicles, but this XL model shugged off everything, monsoon rains, freezing weather, snow and HEAT, lots of HEAT, average speed in Seoul is 25 MPH, so I was amazed on how well my Explorer acted. Had some rust and repaired rocker panels, Korea used salt and a lot of it, got it resprayed, and surfaces redone, now back in Florida, 130,000 miles and getting same 17 MPG since day-one and now it has been 19 years, still has same get-up-and-go! A real work horse, currently looking at adding another Explorer (93 Eddie Bauer) to my driveway."

Still running!

By on Wednesday, June 25, 2008

"I love this truck. Bought my 93 EB with 127k in 2005 and put another 70k on it since. I don't drive particularly rough but the v6 runs strong. The previous owner took lousy care of the truck as I've replaced tie rods/ball joints, valve cover gaskets, starter, and now the tranny (lost overdrive). Also replaced myriad interiors pieces due to scribbling, holes, stupid stuff, etc). But it's really comfy, gets 24 mpg highway w/ cruise, hauls plenty, and I love the styling! And it gets around great in the snow! I just wish the interior wasn't quite so plasticy (quality rating of 3). I still recommend the Explorers!"

Great after 14 years

By on Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"I bought this XL new in New York in 94. I've driven it to California and back and all over the Rocky Mountains. It has seen its share of off road use for hunting and fishing. I blew the automatic hubs and put manuals on it and have not had any trouble with this vehicle other than normal driving stuff. No rust but the clear coat on the paint is starting to come off. Good gas mileage (20-22) and it just keeps going. Ford Tough for sure. At 161,000 miles, it is a winner."