2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac

Based on 485 Ratings for the 2001 - 2005 models.

Shame on Ford!!!!

By on Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Pros: "Awesome truck."

Cons: "Wished it was stick, engine mounts"

"We bought this used in 08, with about 100000. I needed a pilot vehicle. Not too big, not to small. I needed a pickup that could jump from a dead stop, have take off. I hated a Dodge Dakota, the Toyota Tacoma was not big enough, the Tundra didn't have the jump.... This is an awesome truck. It has never let me down. The only con, is the engine mounts. Total disintegration. That is their only downfall. Every other trac I have seen has bad mounts. Shame on Ford for not making them anymore. I met a guy that HAS and still drives, a 2003, with over 440,000. He said he has only done tune ups. I wish they would make them again. I would buy it. I am sure others would too."

Almost 300,000 miles and not slowing down

By on Friday, August 9, 2013

Pros: "Reliable"

Cons: "cup holders"

"I am the orginal owner and have loved the ten years I have driven this vehicle. Regular maintenance is all it has needed. Still drives great and gets 17.5 mpg on a regular basis. The only complaint I have is the cup holders. Somebody didnt think those through. Wish they would bring it back."

Quite possibly the perfect light truck

By on Friday, July 5, 2013

Pros: "Great size/functionality, runs no matter what"

"I bought my 01 used in mid 05 and it's been a joy ever since. With over 160,000 miles you might expect some problems but the only things I've done have been routine- bulbs, shocks, etc... This truck has driven me and my family from NC to TX to FL and back(repeatedly). It's made it through Bavarian winters, and crossed the Atlantic twice(currently on it's way to CO). The only things I don't like are relatively minor and have been corrected on the newer models. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off- I'm certain it will last that long."

Great, dependable truck - bad gas mileage

By on Thursday, September 22, 2016

Pros: "comfortable, very cheap to maintain"

Cons: "bad mpg, kind of ugly from behind"

"I purchased this truck after my 2003 Ranger was totaled in an accident. The Sport Trac is a great truck. It drives very nearly identical to a Ranger, but feels significantly heavier (if memory serves correct, the Sport Trac is approximately 1,000lbs heavier than a base model Ranger.) This truck is a solid upgrade from a smaller light duty truck. It has more than enough leg and foot room in both the front and back seats. The front and rear seats are both very, very comfortable as well. If you purchase a model that has leather interior though, be warned that the leather is quite brittle compared to similar vehicles. You'll want to keep it oiled and conditioned regularly. I did not do this with my truck, and I now have a small tear in both the drivers seat (to be expected) and back-right seat (cracked from not being conditioned regularly.) The truck is very responsive, and quite reliable, when maintained properly. I've only had one mechanical issue with the truck, which was when the thermostat housing cracked and a small coolant leak occurred. A very cheap fix. I also noticed the transmission started to shift a bit uncomfortably around 100,000 miles, but a fluid change and addition of a bit of transmission conditioner solved this issue. The only other thing to mention is that the gas mileage is quite poor. I used to get, on average, about 15mpg. However, after changing the oil from 5w30 to 0w20 (as recommended by Ford for this engine back in 2010), I received an MPG boost of about 1MPG. I also lowered the truck about an inch, which helped a small amount too. I am currently getting about 17MPG on average, and in order to keep this kind of mileage, I use a fuel system cleaner every 1,000 miles or so. All in all, this is a great, reliable vehicle, as is typical with most Ford trucks. I would recommend this truck to anyone who is looking for the convenience of a truck, with the comfort and practicality of an SUV."

A beautiful and reliable car

By on Sunday, July 26, 2015

Pros: "Beautiful car, nice to drive"

Cons: "No cons, due to health reasons we must sell."

"I am the original owner and have maintained this car even better than the book calls for, it is near flawless in side and out"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Explorer Sport Trac near Honolulu. See local deals