1997 Ford Expedition

Based on 793 Ratings for the 1997 - 2002 models.

Best Ride Yet!

By on Friday, March 5, 2010

"I have owned this 99 Expedition 2wd Eddie Bauer Edition for 3 years. When I got it it had 110,000 miles on it. It now has 160,000 on it and is still going strong. Only problem I have ever had with it was due to the cad. converter and brakes. Before getting this vehicle I searched and searched for a good spacious dependable vehicle and after seeing this one I decided to get it. What a wise choice!! The gas mileage is only about 15 mpg, but hey the comfort makes up for that tri fold. The value of this SUV went down the tubes after everyone started "going green" but I don't expect to sell my expedition any time soon so that does not matter to me either. I LOVE MY EXPEDITION!!! In my opinion, you can't go wrong when buying one. My next vehicle (after my current Expedition dies) will be another Expedition."

2000 expedition

By on Friday, February 15, 2008

"A workhorse, pulls heavy loads with ease. 11-14 mpg with 4wd and tow package. Cabin space is huge and confortable. Ride is pleasant and quiet."

Best Family Truckster Ever

By on Friday, November 30, 2007

"Bought my white XLT with Tow Package, rear air and third seat new in late 1996. It now has 126000 miles. Two unexpected repairs needed: $700 for A/C part and $500 for lower ball joints - both were done just beyond the warranty somewhere around 45000 miles. Other than normal brake (2 replacement sets of pads with new rotars at 90k) and tire replacement (every 45-50k with michelins ) it has been a very reliable vehicle that has never left us on the roadside. It still looks good (when waxed) and passes the California test with good numbers. The A/C is icy cold, it doesn't burn oil and has never leaked a drop on the driveway. The interior is roomy and comfortable. It still looks almost new (3 boys and lots of soccer and little league teams later!) with no rips, fades or thin spots. It towed our 4500# camp trailer with ease and accelleration is reasonable for a big vehicle. It never got better than 12-13 mpg around town but will get 17-18 mpg on highway if you let it just cruise at 65. If you do push it on the highway it will still get 15 -16 mpg at 70-75 mph. We liked it enough to buy a new 2004 EB and keep the old XLT. The new EB rides and handles better but the old XLT has fewer rattles and creaks - and it gets better mileage. If we ever get rid of the old one I will be sorry to see it go. Maybe because there are so many good family memories with this vehicle. If you are thinking of buying a used one I'd recommend you find one with tow package for the heavier duty engine, transmission and cooling system that have been so reliable for us."

one of the best SUV's created

By on Saturday, February 7, 2009

"This is no doubt one of the best family sport utility vehicle created. It has a powerful and "torquey" V8 5.4L engine and the stock off-road capability is quite superb for an outdoors kind of family. Even for someone who might like to get a little mud on the tires it does pretty well. Trust me, I've put this thing to the the test. It has an extremely good turning radius for a mid-size SUV and if I didn't know any better I would say it has the best. I've never had any major problems with this car. Just the occasional bearings that need replacing once you pass that 150,000 mile mark. I do all the work on the vehicle myself and since it's not too new i dont have to worry about all the electronics like cars today. Yet its not too old that it doesn't have the same luxuries as the newer ones. Overall it's a great vehicle and I'd recommend it to anyone... As long as its one that has been taken care of, such as mine. I hope my review has helped and take care."

My Experience

By on Monday, February 11, 2008

"Very reliable vehicle. 3 kids and they did not do anything to it other than the carpet mats. Very sturdy. Still rides extremely smooth on the road, especially when I compared it to my 2006 F150. Engine is solid, no work necessary at all. Have only changed out the battery, tires, and the vehicle security module ($300). I am keeping this vehicle until it drops dead on me because I have not had to invest more than $1000 in the 7 years of using it."