1997 Ford Expedition

Based on 794 Ratings for the 1997 - 2002 models.

My Family Truckster

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "Very Comfortable for trips and day to day"

Cons: "Tendency to wear dwn frnt tires if you dont rotate"

Our Family Truckster

"We have owned ours for 7 years and put 120,000 miles on it. It has 180,000 on it now. We have NEVER had a problem. NEVER left us stranded. Easy to maintain. My family has grown from 2 of us to 5 of us. We take cousins and aunts and uncles and grandparents, and never seem to run out of room. I am a firefighter and seen several of these in head on collisions and rollovers. It has done a terrific job in the safety category for the occupants in those collisions. The seats are comfortable for the long trips and it is NOT so big that you can't park it. Room for the kids to spread out. Even though it has 4.6L V8, it has never lacked the get up and go power I have needed. My only complaint is that the suspensions design is rough on front tires and you have to rotate your tires if you want to get a decent tread life out of your tires. A great choice. Now that they are getting old enough that they aren't very expensive, any 1997-2002 Expedition would be a good choice for a family looking for safety and comfort without spending $40,000 for a new SUV."

Our Family Truckster

drives like a dream

By on Friday, March 8, 2013

Pros: "Room and comfort"

Cons: "mpg is 16,not bad for big suv but w/gas price,tuff"

"Best driving vehicle i have driven, and i have drove a Lot, one of my favorite used cars i have bought. It's like sitting in your recliner holding a steering wheel, bout effortless to drive. my wife even says it's more comfortable than her '12 pathfinder..."

Great driver

By on Friday, December 16, 2011

Pros: "very reliable, doesnt get stuck, great truck"

Cons: "could use better gas milege, a bit big"

great truck.

"this truck is very reliable and nothing has gone wrong with it, i love this true. its great for winter, ive never gotten stuck or slid around. its a very stable truck. i will be running this truck until it doesnt work any longer. the heated seats are very convienent. and it has no problem being a work horse."

great truck.

expedition review

By on Tuesday, March 18, 2008

"We are still the first owner's on this vehicle. It has been through numberous road trips. We have drove it from Iowa to Florida and back with no problems with four kids. It has enough room that they all can have their own space. I love the fold down cup holder in the second seat row. It is great for kids that are in a car seats. They can actually reach the cup holders. I do not like how the third seat was design on this model. It is very heavy and bulky to take out if you need to remove it. I wish that the third seat would have fold down like the second row does. Also if you put in two car seats in the third row, the car seat on the passenger side will lean towards the window since their is a gap between the seat and the window."

I couldn't ask for more!

By on Sunday, October 16, 2011

"After 240,000 miles, all I've done is tires, shocks, ball joints, an alternator, two sets of plugs and regular oil changes. Whether around town, towing, highway miles, hauling heavy loads...it's been, by far, the best vehicle I've ever owned."

Incredible vehicle!

By on Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Pros: "Perfect vehicle."

Cons: "Gas, but worth every gallon!"

"I will never own another vehicle! My 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer edition is the one. 170,000 and ZERO problems. No matter what happens to her in the future, she will be repaired, rebuilt whatever it takes to get her back on the road. This is a great SUV, get one!!!"

Best Ride Yet!

By on Friday, March 5, 2010

"I have owned this 99 Expedition 2wd Eddie Bauer Edition for 3 years. When I got it it had 110,000 miles on it. It now has 160,000 on it and is still going strong. Only problem I have ever had with it was due to the cad. converter and brakes. Before getting this vehicle I searched and searched for a good spacious dependable vehicle and after seeing this one I decided to get it. What a wise choice!! The gas mileage is only about 15 mpg, but hey the comfort makes up for that tri fold. The value of this SUV went down the tubes after everyone started "going green" but I don't expect to sell my expedition any time soon so that does not matter to me either. I LOVE MY EXPEDITION!!! In my opinion, you can't go wrong when buying one. My next vehicle (after my current Expedition dies) will be another Expedition."

one of the best SUV's created

By on Saturday, February 7, 2009

"This is no doubt one of the best family sport utility vehicle created. It has a powerful and "torquey" V8 5.4L engine and the stock off-road capability is quite superb for an outdoors kind of family. Even for someone who might like to get a little mud on the tires it does pretty well. Trust me, I've put this thing to the the test. It has an extremely good turning radius for a mid-size SUV and if I didn't know any better I would say it has the best. I've never had any major problems with this car. Just the occasional bearings that need replacing once you pass that 150,000 mile mark. I do all the work on the vehicle myself and since it's not too new i dont have to worry about all the electronics like cars today. Yet its not too old that it doesn't have the same luxuries as the newer ones. Overall it's a great vehicle and I'd recommend it to anyone... As long as its one that has been taken care of, such as mine. I hope my review has helped and take care."

2000 expedition

By on Friday, February 15, 2008

"A workhorse, pulls heavy loads with ease. 11-14 mpg with 4wd and tow package. Cabin space is huge and confortable. Ride is pleasant and quiet."

Best Family Truckster Ever

By on Friday, November 30, 2007

"Bought my white XLT with Tow Package, rear air and third seat new in late 1996. It now has 126000 miles. Two unexpected repairs needed: $700 for A/C part and $500 for lower ball joints - both were done just beyond the warranty somewhere around 45000 miles. Other than normal brake (2 replacement sets of pads with new rotars at 90k) and tire replacement (every 45-50k with michelins ) it has been a very reliable vehicle that has never left us on the roadside. It still looks good (when waxed) and passes the California test with good numbers. The A/C is icy cold, it doesn't burn oil and has never leaked a drop on the driveway. The interior is roomy and comfortable. It still looks almost new (3 boys and lots of soccer and little league teams later!) with no rips, fades or thin spots. It towed our 4500# camp trailer with ease and accelleration is reasonable for a big vehicle. It never got better than 12-13 mpg around town but will get 17-18 mpg on highway if you let it just cruise at 65. If you do push it on the highway it will still get 15 -16 mpg at 70-75 mph. We liked it enough to buy a new 2004 EB and keep the old XLT. The new EB rides and handles better but the old XLT has fewer rattles and creaks - and it gets better mileage. If we ever get rid of the old one I will be sorry to see it go. Maybe because there are so many good family memories with this vehicle. If you are thinking of buying a used one I'd recommend you find one with tow package for the heavier duty engine, transmission and cooling system that have been so reliable for us."