1999 Ford Escort

7.7

Based on 824 Ratings for the 1997 - 2002 models.

Heart of a Champion

By on Thursday, October 6, 2011

Pros: "easy and cheap to fix, light weight, 30 mpg highway"

"I bought my 99 Escort in 2002, when it had 115,000 miles (!) on it. It must have been a fleet car. I love this car, it has been so reliable for the past nearly 10 years. The only reason I am planning to replace it is because I live in Minnesota and it is rusting in some bad places. This car is nothing fancy, which made it great for trips to the lumber yard, the mulch pile, and so forth."

1998 SE Sport Escort Sedan

By on Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Pros: "Excellent mpg and wonderful engine"

Cons: "Seats are hard and it vibrates a bit in idle."

"I've owned this car for almost 8 years and now have 225,000 miles on it. The engine is phenomenal - it runs and runs. It has next to no rust, and has been to Florida twice, 2 bikes on the back and 12'kayak on top. Will probably take it to Florida again this winter. It's also made numerous trips to Iowa from Michigan and many trips up to the Mighty Mack Bridge from south Michigan. I average 38-42 mpg. It's not very comfortable (we use seat cushions), and it vibrates a bit in idle. But the air works great, I have all options and basically, I can't complain about something that cost me a mere $3500. I've had the usual struts, brakes, timing belt, a few tie rods, etc but I still have never changed the muffler in the 127,000 miles I have owned it! (Maybe it's stainless steel and, no, I'm not complaining!) I feel compelled to see how long she will go. I've never changed the water pump but that's all that concerns me."

If ever made again, I'd be first to buy it.

By on Friday, April 12, 2013

Pros: "average gas mileage = 36; no major repairs"

Cons: "4 cyclinder vibrations around 100,000 miles"

"This review is for 2001 and 2002 Ford Escort SE NOT the ZX2 sports car. I got a deal because I paid $8,000 cash with no financing. In 2003, I totaled my 2001 SE when a driver going wrong direction on interstate hit me head on. I walked away. I received enough for car to buy a 2002 SE with all cash and no financing. [Tip--never finance.]. I put 215,000 miles on the 2002 car. Yes, you read that right--215,000 miles. Repairs were one gear shift thing (under $40), regular oil/spark plugs type maintenance, high mileage tires, brake lights (under $5), turn signal bulb (under $5), timing belt and related belts (under $300 from retired mechanic versus thrown engine price at regular dealer--tip: this happened at 200,000 miles and was a design flaw that was corrected in 2003 model). Regardless of what others say. I put 215,000 miles in 10 years and average gas mileage before corn was 38 and now is 33 in summer and 35 rest of year. I was planning to keep it forever, but an 18 wheeler totaled it. I walked away. Car saved my life twice. Ford discontinued car in 2003 to make 25 mpg fuel efficient vehicles. Go figure."

EXCELLENT CAR!

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "DRIVER FRIENDLY!"

Cons: "I DO NOT HAVE ANY!"

"This car replaced a 2004 Saturn Ion that I purchased brand new for cash. It was totaled when another driver made an illegal left turn right in front of me. I got out without visible injuries. Because of a lot of traffic, I did not see the other driver until he bolted out in front of me. I purchased my 1999 Ford Escort used. I am the 2nd owner of this car. It had 93,000 miles when I purchased it. We drove this car from Southern California to Knoxville, Tennessee, about 3,500 miles, in 39 hours ... driving straight through except for pit stops. It performed PERFECTLY! The salesman at the dealer where I purchased it told me that he did NOT think it would make that trip. He was very surprised when I told him not only did this car do it, it performed perfectly. This car has continued to perform perfectly in the 5 years since we drove it on that trip. It is the best car that I ever owned. VERY driver friendly (EXTREMELY important), good visibility (not boxed in like a tank), excellent condition and mechanical functioning ... ALWAYS RELIABLE! I am NOT getting rid of this car until it is time to put it to rest."

Great little 4banger

By on Wednesday, August 26, 2009

"Drove a 00 ZX2 for bout 3 years then totaled it :( then recently bought a 98 ZX2 and they run great with the manual tranny's and rarely ever need routine maintenance except for brakes and A/C compressor. They have a descent amount of pep for a 4cyl and get at best around 36mpg highway and town mileage combine. My recent one has 172k miles on it so far and these motors can take a descent beating too they love high rpms when you need to or want to stomp on it. But they aren't something you want to drive in the winter they want to spin so easy unless you slip the clutch a lot."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Ford Escort near Honolulu. See local deals