2012 Ford Escape

8.3

Based on 540 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

not a favorite

By on Monday, May 11, 2009

"I have only had my vehicle for eight months and I have had to replace the condesor unit for the a/c and also have had smal leaks in the transmission."

Really Great Overall

By on Tuesday, April 28, 2009

"This is a long review, but I am in the car alot (>15k miles), and I appreciated the specific reviews. I ordered a 2009 and have had it since October. I wanted to be able to get stability control (it was silly that was not on the 2008) and to get the improved horsepower, though I was a little nervous getting a vehicle with a new powertrain. I compared several other vehicles and was coming from a V8 Jeep (needed better gas mileage but did not need the towing capacity). I have not had a Ford product before, and did ALOT of comparison shopping because I had no intention of getting a hybrid. I have gotten the expected gas mileage. I surprising like the capless fuel thing (it doesn't seem like a big deal...but). I had to stop watching the hybrid screen because it was too distracting : ). Mine is fully loaded with everything except the running boards. I don't agree with the kbb review that the CRV has more power--the one I test drove was very anemic generally but especially in the mountainous territory I live in and 2 lane roads where I need acceleration to pass; plus the CRV did not have bluetooth in the '08--I don't know if that has been corrected. There is really good pick up and response in the Escape. The Acura SUV was nice, and was the only thing that had a stereo that came close to the sync system, but overall was not worth the money, the premium gas, and other issues. The Nissan dealer wanted to charge a premium over sticker--after I laughed at him I left without test driving it, so I can't really compare past that. I did not need a third row seat, and you just could not justify the math work on the Highlander Hybrid (at least I could not) if you did not need the third row so that did not work. The sync system is great--I had to have sirius and love the sync feature of favorite songs, I only wish the list could be longer; I have experienced a little cutting out but that is clearly a software thing: the cool thing is that with the usb port you can try to fix it yourself before you even have the dealership do it if you want. You can tell that will be good for updates later. I love the MP3 jack for my audiobooks as well as having the regular outlet in the console (great for tailgating, or even when I need to charge both work and personal phones at the same time). The other '09 improvement is the piano black in the console; it is nicer cosmetically. Interior storage in the center and sides are good; there is not much of a glove compartment, but as the driver you can't reach that when driving so I prefer the center console. Also, in particular, the integration with the phone, and one touch transfer of the entire phone list from your phone is great. I needed the AWD for the mtns but have seen it kick in (there is a light on the dash) in some rainy weather where the roads have bad drainage, so I am even happier I traded the slight gas mileage. The nav system is great. Ford has subbed out the maps to a real GPS company, which makes a huge difference (I have seen some who sub it out to the stereo company and the maps end up being subpar). Cons-- (You will see that some of these are nitpicky) Can't get the deals on the hybrids, but I do think gas will go back up and these hold their value better so I could make the math work (the less you finance, the easier it is for the math to work). I wish it had the Homelink for the garage door opener. The back seats got better in the '09 but don't lay down perfectly flat (I am constantly moving stuff). I wish the exterior and interior came in more colors/options, but I think that is a function of the lower production numbers. The seat heater only has one heat setting (the jeep had two which was nice) and after a while it dies down, and by a while I mean 30-40 mins--I have a long commute. The passenger seat is manually adjusted. The leather on the seats is not as high as quality as the jeep--stuff rubs off on it (keep in mind, my car in a mobile pit); it wipes back off, but I noticed it. Also, the eco-friendly filling of the seats does not feel as sturdy, or maybe the seats are shaped differently, but there may be a slight quality trade off there (I did not have a negative reaction to the curvature of the seats as some have). I don't mind the rugged styling as much--the square shape allows slightly more space in the back and the blind spots in the very curved SUVs are horrible."

Loving my new ride!

By on Monday, April 27, 2009

"After driving my 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee into the ground (176000 miles), I bought a 2009 Ford Escape last month. I have a tall family, and it can fit 5 adults that range in height from 5'10" to 6'3" very comfortably. It's got plenty of pick up and I'm pleased with the gas mileage (24 mpg on average, we do a lot of winding hilly driving with numerous stops & accelerations). I love the Sync system! My kids are big texters, and it's so nice to be able to hit the button on the steering wheel and be able to hear their messages read to me. There's nothing about this car that I don't love. I know that I've only had it for a little over 2000 miles, but, that's plenty of time to figure out if a car is for you or not. Keep up the great work Ford!! This was my 3rd Ford purchase, and it won't be my last."

By on Friday, April 24, 2009

"You get a lot for your money with this vehicle. It's stylish and comfortable. It definitely turns heads. I've gotten more compliments than I expected while driving this vehicle. I had transmission problems at 14k miles. The car doesn't have much power... takes a while to speed up. Gas mileage dramatically declined after hitting 10k miles. Wind noise and road noise louder than expected, however, you hear the road more than you feel it. It's really a smooth ride. Despite it's unreliability, it's a very economical buy. I just don't see this car lasting me more than 5 years. But it's worth it for the short run."

Exactly What I Needed

By on Monday, April 20, 2009

"I have owned my 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid for two months and just love it. My fuel economy reached 31.8 mpg on the first tank and I could not be happier. It has plenty of room and is comfortable to drive. I am looking forward to many years of service from this vehicle"