2012 Ford Escape

8.3

Based on 544 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

2009 Escape XLT 2wd

By on Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive with plenty of power. Sound system."

Cons: "Rear headrest removal."

"I was very surprised by the pick up and power this 3.0 6 cylinder has. Very smooth shifting 6 speed automatic transmission. Cabin is very roomy despite it's outward appearance. Plenty of leg room front and rear. Audio system sounds superb. SYNC, USB connection for iPod and bluetooth for phone work great with buttons on the steering wheel. Voice command is very handy. Easy to maneuver and park. Automatic headlights is a plus, as is the keyless entry and driver's door keypad (all cars should have this feature!) I like the computer information on MPG and oil change info. I got 24 MPG on combination highway/city rush hour traffic. Almost 10 more MPG than my previous car, a 1999 Explorer. On the negative side, having to remove the rear passenger headrests to fold the back completely flat seems to be an after thought."

Excellent small SUV

By on Sunday, January 29, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, Sync, Sporty Looking"

Cons: "No real cons, but better gas mileage."

"I have owned this for just over two years and love it. The traction stability is fantastic, the 4WD is very handy and the Sync is something I will never be able to do without again. I use this tow my motorcycles as well as drive for work. I drive about 35K a year and and 6'-4" tall. The comfort is incredible. I have a sliding sunroof that I love as well. The only complaint I have is the it "only" gets 20-24 mpg with the V6. That's not too bad and I love the extra power the V6 has over the 4 cyl. I have driven both. I would like an engine that gets 35 mpg and still has the horsepower, but who wouldn't, right? If you're thinking about it...get it!"

Size convient for around town; space good

By on Saturday, September 22, 2012

Pros: "Good MPG, tows traler well, handles well,"

Cons: "Temp control butons hard to ID,"

"Purchased in Nov. 2011. Have run 20,000 miles with no problems. V-6 with 6 speed auto transmission handled pulling 1200 lbs from Kansas to Wyoming with no problems in mid summer 100 deg F heat. Maintained 75 mph in Rockey mountains would sometimes shift down to 5 th or 4th gear but maintained speed. Engine/transmission are great combination. Good torque rise on engine in mountains w/o any excessive shifting. Great acceleration for vehicle weight and size. 23.5 mpg towing trailer on 2000 mile trip to & from Wyoming. Drove to Connecticut, two adults with luggage plus 500 lbs. Escape computer showed 29.6 mpg on 1600 miles highway driving. MPG better than expected. Would liked to been able to purchase six way passenger seat option."

Nice compact SUV

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

"Very well thought out design. I purchased this vehicle for my wife and it fits her to a tee. It's an SUV but in miniature. My wife is petite and for larger people like myself, interior space can be a challenge. I purchased the navigation limited edition and i am impressed on the design. Yes, there is some "excessive" noise when going from 1st through 3rd gear but this SUV is simple to drive with more than enough power in it's V6 to get you where you are going in all conditions. I am a chevy man and was more inclined to buy an Equinox but my wife insisted that we also looked at the escape and rav-4. The price, the drivability and all of the simple features won us over. I would buy again and again....."

pleasantly surprised!!

By on Friday, October 12, 2012

Pros: "great price, easy on the wallet"

Cons: "NONE!"

"This little suv is amazing! I was looking for a vehicle that gets great mileage and runs flex fuel. I was nervous at first because I was told flex fuel vehicles have an annoying engine noise. I have noticed absolutely NO noise. The seats are comfortable, the sync system is convenient. This suv is not 4*4, BUT it can handle its own. No mechanical issues at all. So here's the big one! I came around a corner and a teenager was coming out of an alley, texting... I was able to make a quick steering adjustment, he missed my passenger side and barely clipped my bumper. The ONLY damage that the escape ended up with was a broken tail light and a scuff mark on the bumper! I did have to dealer order the part, but the price wasn't too hard on the wallet. Thank goodness for the steering, or he would've done more damage. This one still believes in, "BUILT FORD TOUGH!""

Better than expected

By on Sunday, April 05, 2009

"I purchased this vehicle based on economic logic. To my surprise, I really like the car. It drives very comfortably and has plenty of space. The gas mileage really can be 34 mph and even higher, depending on how you drive: slow city driving, bumper to bumper jams and rolling through foothills you can easily get 40 mpg. Unfortuantely, I am a freeway driver and always in a hurry. I tend to get about 27 - 28 mpg with my driving habits. My first impression is that is was made for a man -- everything is flat and hard, not curvey or soft. The seat was uncomfortable at first. I don't know if it molded to my body or if I just got used to it. But, after 7,000 miles I don't notice it any more. It has plenty of power for my needs -- typical mom stuff. Very quiet when in electric mode, a bit noisy when using gas but not as noisey as a typical truck. I love the Sync -- it makes so much sense and is easy to set up & use. I just tell my car to call home and talk like my family is in the car with me. Sync my iPod, plug in my laptop, etc. Very techno friendly. I have been a toyota driver for 30 years and really wanted a Lexus Hybrid, but could not justify the cost to mileage ratio. I was very reluctant to switch to Ford but now I am glad I gave it a chance."

2008 not the best year for the Ford Escape.

By on Friday, January 25, 2013

"2008 was not the best year for the Ford Escape. Early on had trouble with the transmission fluid cooler. Water pump went out early. The heating and cooling system is difficult to adjust. The glove box is a little small. The gas mileage is not bad for a V-6, can get 23-25 highway if I hold the speed to 65 or less and the road is not too hilly. Do like that V-6, gives plenty of pep and is really holding up well after 120,000 miles. Like driving it and hope to keep it to 200,000."

great for a two year lease

By on Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Pros: "great vehicle for a two year lease"

Cons: "rust, fabric on seats,4x4"

"Loved this car for the first two years. Tailgate started rusting,so got it "fixed" just to have it rust again right after my warrenty ran out.Ford won't fix again.the seats are very hard to get clean.The plastic shield over the speedometer reflects sunlight in your eyes.And at just over 47,000 miles my air conditioner broke.Oh,and if you still want to get one, don't bother spending the extra $ on the 4x4,it never kicks in, even when your stuck."

Love the vehicle!

By on Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"We got this vehicle as we needed something that was not as gas consuming as the vehicle we had previously. This vehicle is great on gas mileage and my husband, who is quite tall, fits in the vehicle well and is comfortable when he drives around and doesn't hurt when he gets out of the vehicle after long trips."

Beware of transmission problems

By on Friday, April 02, 2010

"Be very careful of 2009-2010 Escapes on the used market. Many will have transmission problems. I'm sure more than one person is going to try to unload one. Ours is going back in for repair number three for a right intermediate shaft leak. I fellow owner I met on the internet ultimately had his Escape bought back by Ford because of the same problem. Fords are good cars/trucks and the Escape is a decent vehicle - but nothing special. The 6-speed automatic transmission is junk."

Exceeded Expectations!

By on Thursday, February 21, 2008

"Have sold Fords in the past and had a 10 yr old pickup I needed to upgrade. Having no need for another truck at this time we felt we wanted an SUV and drove several from different manufacturers. We were concerned with safety, driveability and especially fuel economy. We found the Escape far and above the best value out there and took it on a 5,000 mile honeymoon trip and loved it! Fuel economy was great, we averaged almost 28 mpg on several tanks of gas! Handling and ride were both impressive. We couldn't be happier with our limited and love every feature on this vehicle! Would recommend it wholeheartedly! PS: We really love the way cargo area can be modified and can actually sleep in it when rear seats are removed, which is quick and easy!"

5th Ford and I'm tradeing it in for my 6th

By on Monday, October 14, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, dependable, great mpg, stylish, smart"

Cons: "No disappointments!"

"I love my Fords because they have taken care of me and my family for 34 years. I've had a Zepher station wagon (we out grew in 2 years), 2 Custom conversion Econoline vans (10+ years each), 2 Escapes (7yrs & Hybrid 5 yrs), and now I will buy an Explorer (only because they messed up the Escape)and I now need more room for the grandchildren!"

I am very happy with my ford Escape limited.

By on Saturday, May 04, 2013

"This vehicle is a great buy as well as a Dream to drive. It gets great gas mileage 25 highway 18 city. Rides great, and is real comfortable also not alot of rosd noise. I had a trailer tow package added at the factory for towing my, bass boat. Which this vehicle does very well while still getting 22 mpg. This car has plenty of power even while towing up hill. As well you don't feel the transmission, shift while towing with the 6 speed transmission. Also with the camera on the mirror while backing up it"s breeze,hooking onto your boat or camper. You don't need a, second person to watch you back up?"

A good vehicle for the money

By on Monday, March 18, 2013

Pros: "good value, low operating costs so far."

Cons: "Awful upholstery fabric"

"I bought this car new. Delaware is easier on cars. Decent roads and no hills to speak of. After 3-1/2 years I only have 26669 miles on the car so it has been used sparingly. Service from the dealer has been very good. Only one minor recall. I hate the upholstery fabric but seats are comfortable. I often tow a 5x8 trailer...no problems with weight. It's not a sports car but handling is good for a small SUV. Gas mileage has been as advertised...better on long hauls. It was too late when I realized the cross braces for the roof rack were not included. RIPOFF!"

Not a good vehicle

By on Sunday, November 27, 2011

Pros: "None worth mentioning"

Cons: "Poor quality"

"Bought this vehicle used. Ran good for about three months, then started some major problems. Went to start vehicle and could not get it started. Something had "fused" to the engine. Had to get it towed in. In shop for one week. Suddenly lost power while going up hill. Clutch installed at factory defective. Had new clutch and seals put in under warrenty. In shop for 2.5 weeks. Dashboard lights seem to come on/off randomly at times. Dealer has no answer/solution for this at this time. All in all, am very disappointed in this vehicle. Bought this SUV for my wife. She is afraid to drive it for fear of when the next time it will break down for no real reason. Now I have to trade this off, at a loss of course, because Ford is not able to build a decent vehicle of any quality. I will never buy another Ford product."

Car seats are aweful

By on Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"The 2008 XLT is the 2nd Ford Escape that I had owned. I orginally bought a 2004 XLT and jsut loved the SUV. The Escape is perfect size for myself, husband and our dog. When we have the grandbabies the size is good also. I bought the 2008 due to the mileage that I had put on my 2004. The seats are the worst I have had. If there is a drop of water that lands on the seats it stains the seat. You have to do a complete shampooing of the whole seat to remove that spot. The seats are uncomfortable on long trips. I had the 2008 for 1 year and traded it for a new 2009 Ford Escape Limited with leather seats. Once again I am in love with my Escape. However,I would Never reccommend the 2008 with cloth seats."

Never left me stranded, ever!

By on Sunday, July 20, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, responsive, great value and gas mileage."

Cons: "I haven't found any yet."

"This car is so reliable! Any problems have been minor with the security/ignition system and a water pump issue. Incredible pick up for passing on the highway, especially for a 4cyl. Rugged, compact, fun to drive. I just paid it off and hope to drive it another 200K!!"

save yourself the time and money

By on Friday, June 08, 2012

"my 2009 escape xlt 6 cylinder was the worst mistake of my car buying history. my vehicle has been in the dealership 15 to 20 times with multiple problems. that means times not days they had it to service the problem. please save yourself and consider all other options. if i save one person from the purchasing of this vehicle then it was worth it to write this review."

By on Saturday, February 12, 2011

"I traded in my 2002 Ford Escape for the 2008 that I now own. As long as Ford is making Escapes, it is the car that I will buy. It is amazing how well the Escape holds its value. It is the most reliable car I have ever owned. It is just right size - not too large, but large enough if I need to buy some bulky items. It handles extremely well in snow and ice."

2nd one

By on Friday, September 10, 2010

"wife loves it, great vehicle to drive bought first one used, bought new one a year or so later , loved them both!"

Best Ford Ever

By on Monday, October 13, 2008

"I have owned many different SUVs over the years, and this little honey is the best. I am 6ft.3" and I have plenty of room.Rear seat passengers have plenty of leg room. Gas mileage is averaging 26.4. Plenty of pep. Drives and handles better then the Expedition I just had. Needless to say I am very happy with this Escape."

3rd one in 6 years

By on Friday, July 25, 2008

"I would recommend the Escape to anyone.Even after totalling my first one, by hitting a telephone poll and walking away, and then haviny 2 more, which the most serious problem I had was a glitch n the fuel filter cap, I have had nothing but enjoyment in the overall performance of this SUV.Great job Ford!"

Very Pleased

By on Sunday, December 30, 2007

"We had thought about Toyota, Hyundia and Honda for our first SUV but after a test drive of each and the features and coverages we were happy with the Escape. The Insurance was surprising low and the gas mileage has been good. This was a good choice and it was less expensive than the others."

So far...best vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 11, 2007

"I just bought a used 08 Escape, V6, Limited. I love it! The price was right comparred to other SUV's. It's stylish, comfortable and safe."

Love the Hybrid

By on Tuesday, September 04, 2007

"I have had the Escape Hybrid for a little over 2 months. I carefully considered buying it before I made the purchase and I am so glad that I did it. It is perfect for my family of 3 and I know I have plently of room if I decide to add a second child. I love the look and feel of the Escape. This month I went almost 3 weeks on 1 tank of gas. Almost as good as my Corolla did. I would recommend it to anyone."