2005 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1257 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Great reliable car

By on Saturday, May 28, 2016

Pros: "affordable, reliable, easy to drive."

Cons: "front end problems"

"I bought this car used and have loved it ever since. It is not a luxury model but it is easy to drive, reliable, affordable all the way around. Its great in the snow and not bad on gas. One thing I have had issues with now that it is older is the front end wheels. I always seem to be replacing tire rod ends, wheel barings, etc."

Love this vehicle!

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "Easy to drive, comfortable with decent MPG."

"I have owned this vehicle for almost 7 years, put over 200,000 miles on her and have not had major issues! Largest expense was a new alternator (approx. $450). Other than that it has been all routine maintance: oil changes, and tires. It even gets decent gas mileage, ranging on average for me at 22-24 MPG. I have moved several times in the past, and other than large pieces of furniture can fit just about everything in the vehicle, when folding the back seats, great size trunk in general too!"

Blown away

By on Tuesday, October 9, 2007

"For a while my wife had wanted an Escape and with the gas prices soaring this spring/summer she said she wanted a hybrid. After seeing the 2008's we both agreed we liked the exterior styling of the 2007 models much better. We were able to find an 07 with every available option and with only 6000 miles (the previous owner took an unexpected retirement and bought a large boat so he traded this vehicle in for a large F series to haul his boat). We've had the vehicle for a few weeks and these are our impressions beginning with the positives. The POWERTRAIN is exceptional. We get fuel economy as advertised. I found with a smooth gas pedal and low speed city driving I can approach 40 miles per gallon! The Constant Variable Transmission is exceptionally smooth as there are no gear shifts occuring. The constant switching of the powertrain from electric only to gas plus electric to gas only to recharging the batteries during coastdowns and braking is nearly seemless. An untrained person would never know this switching is occuring. Word from Ford development engineers is the powertrain is bulletproof and should never fail. The only component that will need servicing in the future will be the batteries and though I understand they are quite expensive, should be more than paid for by the money saved with fuel. The electronic message center is super cool. It has a navigation system which has worked very well. The sound system is all I could ask for in a vehicle of this type. The field of vision is excellent and the seats are very comfortable. There is also good back seat room and adequate storage room behind the back seats. Though I've read about some people thinking storage was inadequate, we feel it is good. The center console, glove box, and door pockets all offer front passenger storage options and there are two front seat drink holders in the console. If I were designing my perfect vehicle I would change just a few things. There is a slightly moderate amount of interior road noise which is really not too bad, however I would try to make it quieter. Also the vehicle tends to wander slightly, especially on highways though this may be a funtion of a short wheelbase vehicle and low rolling resistance tires combined with 4 wheel drive. Finally the interior though premium seems like it could have been made a little more plush. The leather seating material is a little stiff as opposed to soft leather I find in luxary vehicles. We would highly recommend the hybrid Escape to anyone looking for a vehicle in this class."

Best vehicle ever

By on Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable,"

"One of the must reliable vehicles I've owned. The V6 has good power, tows trailers well, if you floor it will push you back in seat and break the tires loose. Lots of cargo room, with or with out the back seats folded down."

Wonderful vehicle, only one issue thus far!

By on Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pros: "Everything...'cept..."

Cons: "exhaust issues."

"The XLS has been an awesome vehicle...the only issue was pertaining to the exhaust- the third (standard) catalytic converter had gotten stopped up and needed to be removed. Other than this issue it has been great, gas mileage is very appealing and is great as it is a four cylinder. The interior is very comfortable and stylish without being unpractical. Just be sure to treat your bumpers to prevent discoloration. The spare should be full-sized as well, but that is an easy fix. I absolutely love my car, it has been a joy so far and I am in love with it. <3"

Love my car... but

By on Wednesday, January 23, 2008

"I love my ford escape but at 70,000 it's starting to have problems (muffler fell off, emergency brake had to be replaced, spring came out of motor valve, moon roof motor has been replaced twice). I love my car, how it feels, how it looks, how it drives, but I question the quality, to be having these kinds of problems at 70,000."

Second one!

By on Sunday, May 20, 2007

"I loved my 2003 Escape so much but was gettting up close to 100,000 without the extended warranty. What did I trade it in for? ANOTHER Escape! Very pleased w/ my new 2007 Escape."

Great SUV

By on Saturday, January 7, 2017

Pros: "Fun to drive with lots of possibilities"

Cons: "Gas mileage that can be corrected"

"If your looking for a really comfy, nimble & fun to drive vehicle, look no further. I bought the 3.0 L automatic version with cloth seats. This small but plenty of room SUV does exactly as I expected for getting around in all types of weather (rainy & snow). The only negative I found with this SUV is the gas mileage. I expected this based on the previous owner didn't do all the general maintainces such as regular oil changes, transmission services & tune-ups. This I expected too, based on the service records left in the glove box & original loan papers. Mind you, I wasn't expecting to find such paper work like this in a used car from a new/used car dealer. That's another issue involved with the car dealer where I purchased. Anyhow, I plan on getting all needed updates done shortly. As a retired mechanic of over 25 years I still do all my own repairs & updates. The trade in my wife & I we owned was kept in great shape for 14 years. And mind you, my wife cried to see that car go. She gets attached to all our cars we have owned over the many years. And I think we both will do same with this great find as well too !!!"

Very good vehicle!

By on Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Pros: "great in snow, pretty safe"

Cons: "no traction control"

"I bought my Escape brand new in 2003. I've had it for 13 yrs now and have been pretty happy with it. I love the "on- demand" 4x4... It's been excellent in the snow. We've had a few things go wrong with it in the last 3-4 yrs. It eats alternators every 2 yrs it seems. I've had to put 2 new sets of brakes on it, new tires, and the regular maintenance. I plan to keep it for a bit longer as long as it stays running."

One of the best vehicles I have ever owned

By on Monday, May 9, 2016

"6 years of nearly zero problems with my Escape hybrid. Killer driver in the winter here in MN, no problems at all. I can get 31mpg if I watch my driving. Tough vehicle with plenty of room. Yes, it has that standard SVU look, but for a light SVU it's great. Nearly as good as my Taurus, love it"