2004 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1259 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Great reliable car

By on Saturday, May 28, 2016

Pros: "affordable, reliable, easy to drive."

Cons: "front end problems"

"I bought this car used and have loved it ever since. It is not a luxury model but it is easy to drive, reliable, affordable all the way around. Its great in the snow and not bad on gas. One thing I have had issues with now that it is older is the front end wheels. I always seem to be replacing tire rod ends, wheel barings, etc."

Love this vehicle!

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "Easy to drive, comfortable with decent MPG."

"I have owned this vehicle for almost 7 years, put over 200,000 miles on her and have not had major issues! Largest expense was a new alternator (approx. $450). Other than that it has been all routine maintance: oil changes, and tires. It even gets decent gas mileage, ranging on average for me at 22-24 MPG. I have moved several times in the past, and other than large pieces of furniture can fit just about everything in the vehicle, when folding the back seats, great size trunk in general too!"

Best vehicle ever

By on Saturday, March 1, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable,"

"One of the must reliable vehicles I've owned. The V6 has good power, tows trailers well, if you floor it will push you back in seat and break the tires loose. Lots of cargo room, with or with out the back seats folded down."

Wonderful vehicle, only one issue thus far!

By on Saturday, November 3, 2012

Pros: "Everything...'cept..."

Cons: "exhaust issues."

"The XLS has been an awesome vehicle...the only issue was pertaining to the exhaust- the third (standard) catalytic converter had gotten stopped up and needed to be removed. Other than this issue it has been great, gas mileage is very appealing and is great as it is a four cylinder. The interior is very comfortable and stylish without being unpractical. Just be sure to treat your bumpers to prevent discoloration. The spare should be full-sized as well, but that is an easy fix. I absolutely love my car, it has been a joy so far and I am in love with it. <3"

Second one!

By on Sunday, May 20, 2007

"I loved my 2003 Escape so much but was gettting up close to 100,000 without the extended warranty. What did I trade it in for? ANOTHER Escape! Very pleased w/ my new 2007 Escape."

Very good vehicle!

By on Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Pros: "great in snow, pretty safe"

Cons: "no traction control"

"I bought my Escape brand new in 2003. I've had it for 13 yrs now and have been pretty happy with it. I love the "on- demand" 4x4... It's been excellent in the snow. We've had a few things go wrong with it in the last 3-4 yrs. It eats alternators every 2 yrs it seems. I've had to put 2 new sets of brakes on it, new tires, and the regular maintenance. I plan to keep it for a bit longer as long as it stays running."

One of the best vehicles I have ever owned

By on Monday, May 9, 2016

"6 years of nearly zero problems with my Escape hybrid. Killer driver in the winter here in MN, no problems at all. I can get 31mpg if I watch my driving. Tough vehicle with plenty of room. Yes, it has that standard SVU look, but for a light SVU it's great. Nearly as good as my Taurus, love it"

LOVED this car!

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Reason: needed more space

Pros: "Fun to drive all year round! Great gas mileage!"

Cons: "rethink if you have small kids."

"I bought my 2003 Ford Escape XLS in January of 2005 with 70000 miles on it. It was a program car, hence the higher mileage. It was awesome. Extremely reliable. Great clearance height for awesome winter driving without 4WD. I was impressed with this SUV for having a comfortable ride, good gas mileage for an SUV, roomy and lots of space for hauling things with the back seat folded down. The A/C was as cold as cold could be and it always started in the winter months without issue. I hit a deer once with it going about 55 MPH and barely felt the impact. I felt very safe in this SUV. The damage was minimal so I had it repaired. The only reason I sold it was because we had a child and there wasn't enough room when we went on long trips with a pack and play, stroller, luggage, and all the other things kids come with. The only money I ever put into it was replacing coils which isn't expensive if you know how to do it yourself (my brother did it for me). Tires can be a little pricey too (a set of 4 ran me about $600 with install and everything). I will totally buy another one after our kids are bigger and don't need strollers and pack and plays."

Great high school and college car

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Got this car when I was a sophomore in high school with 34,000 miles. I am about to complete my 4th year in college and have had no major issues with it at 95,000 miles. It's a little loud on country interstate at above 70. At only 4 cylinders, accelerating up hills on the interstate above 75mph can be painful. However I have gotten it up to well over 100. It's been averaging around 20miles to a gallon with my lead foot."

Great truck

By on Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"I bought my 4cyl. 5spd. Escape with 100,000 miles and have added another 150,000 with no problems. Still uses no oil and gets 26MPG. I'll I've done is brakes, tires (1 set), belt, and alternator. Very versatile vehicle that I will hate to replace. Will probably get another one if I can find one like it"

Good small SUV

By on Monday, October 22, 2007

"had this Escape for 3 years and have great use from it. I drive the heck out of this car and have had NO breakdowns are repairs needed. Besides the regular maint. I have not had to fix anything. Great first SUV!!! Ride is a little bumpy and a little noisy but not a real issue."

Original owner low mileage erlderly disabled

By on Saturday, March 25, 2017

Pros: "Great value for the price of 7,400"

"In one year, I drove a total of 1,000 miles documented by my insurance agent for renewal of auto insurance. This is a beautiful, immaculate vehicle that has been babied. I have the original sticker which was over 28 or 29 thousand. I paid for a cargo cover. I had a back-up sensor installed which cost around 500.00 All the tires are warrantied for life. I have all the maintenance records, including gas receipts with the mileage and odometer reading written on the gas receipt. I have name this wonderful car Milagro which means Miracle."

Great car!

By on Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Pros: "Great buy! Handles well. Dependable."

Cons: "Nylon seat covers stain--no big deal."

"I bought the car used 5 years ago and have put 75,000 miles on it. It has been very dependable with no major work done on it--just routine maintenance. I get about 24 mpg. The car is comfortable and has plenty of room for luggage, etc. I paid less than $8000 and so it has been a great car at a great price."

I have been very content with this car.

By on Saturday, April 26, 2014

Pros: "Fun to drive, very safe"

Cons: "Found nothing wrong with it."

"For the most part, this vehicle has been at the top with me in performance and comfort. A few minor repairs I've had done to it and it still gives me the quality I like in a car. If I could, I'd keep it forever, but as it is, I will need to go with another of its kind or something larger. My goal is to get a newer F150...not brand new, but near it."

I love my 2005 Escape. It's a great car!

By on Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Pros: "Very reliable car."

Cons: "It is not 4 wheel drive."

"I bought my 2005 Esacpe in 2007 because I needed a winter car. It I has been a wonderful car with next to nothing spent on repairs. I feel safe driving in it and the interior is very spacious and comfortable."

Great little car. I love it!

By on Monday, August 12, 2013

"I have had this car since it was a year old: It's a 2001. The road to our place is a mountain road, half of it unpaved. I have been told by others who ride in it that it handles the road better than anything they have been on this road in. Pretty large interior for a small SUV."

Have had no trouble in 7 years of ownership

By on Friday, January 18, 2013

Pros: "Great car"

"Good vehicle"

still going after 150,000 and 11 years

By on Sunday, August 5, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive; 4WD great in snow; great driver seat"

Cons: "road noise, tranny died at 93K mi."

"This vehicle has been fun to drive and the motor has been a good runner all the way. It started needing repairs at 93,000 mi. Transmission, starter, alternator, front suspension parts, etc. However, the car was 6 years old before it needed anything besides brakes and tires, which have still only been replaced once in 150,000 mi. of both city and highway driving. I'm finally giving it up for a minivan because our family has grown and we need more room."

7 years in, I still love my Escape!

By on Saturday, June 9, 2012

Pros: "Value, reliability, cargo capacity, durable"

Cons: "Not enough storage, no 'nooks' for sunglasses, etc"

"I am the original owner of my 2005 Ford Escape XLT Sport, and I can honestly say I love it as much today as I did on day one. For an AWD/V6, fuel efficiency is better than expected. It has ample pickup when merging with traffic and responds well when braking - regardless of road conditions - even at 7 years. It handles flawlessly on wet Florida roads ('08 - present), and was an absolute dream in snowy/icy conditions ('05-'07). I'm not sure what sort of clear coat was used, but my Escape looks just as good today as it did in '05. In the 7 years I have driven this vehicle, I've had just ONE major issue, and I myself am partially to blame for the mishap. At 65K, I knew my cooling system wasn't working properly, and did not fix the issue right away. In all honesty, I waiting nearly a YEAR to finally fix it, and by then the damage was considerable (understandably so). In the end, I replaced the thermostat, coolant temperature sensor, flushed the radiator, replaced the coolant overflow resevoir, replaced the water pump *AND* a water pump housing component. The housing component was such an infrequent repair (and due in no small part to my gross neglect of the warning signs my cooling system was in trouble), that I made not one, but several ACE/dealer/repair tech message boards (blushing). That said, since my rather expensive lesson in cooling system etiquette, my Escape has run like a dream. I'm not fanatical about routine maintenance, but I have met all of the recommended milestones within a reasonable timeframe. Given my marginal care and many, many miles of travel (in both the US and Europe!!), I cannot stress enough how fantastic the Escape has been. I truly do love my XLT and will drive it until it can no longer be driven, at which time, I will feel as though I am burying a close friend."

Will get another one!

By on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pros: "It's ALL good!"

"I bought this car 8 years ago. I drove it, then my daughter drove it and now I'm driving it again. I love this car! I will definitely buy another another one when this one finally quits. I've had to make some repairs but my mechanic tells me it's good for another 70K miles at least. He has one with over 200K miles. It's a great little work horse with amazing pick up. Never a hesitation or a hiccup. I just hope the new "redesigned" Escape coming out is as good a this one."

escape #2

By on Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"This is my second Escape. Had a 2001 and put 93,000 miles on it in 6 years. Only problem was an oil leak and bad O2 sensor, both repaired under warranty. What I like best about the escape is, it seats five people in relative comfort, has enough power with the v-6 engine, is easy to park. Small on the outside and big on the inside.Next escape will be a 4 cylinder for better gas mileage."

By on Sunday, May 24, 2009

"Unfortunately I just totalled my 2002 Escape XLT a few days ago but feel the need to post a review to "honor" this great vehicle. I put 160,000 miles on it & had NO significant non maintainence issues. I can attest to its being A+ in a head on impact at 40 mph. The airbags, belt & front impact crumple zones let me walk away with what I consider mild whiplash. I could not have asked for more from a car."

great escape

By on Sunday, November 9, 2008

"this little SUV is just grand! it is the perfect size for just hopping in and going. love the gas mileage, love the comfort and love the ability to stick anything in it. we have used it to vacation with, we pull the boat with it and sometimes even the horse trailer. it is super for just getting the job done. i would highly reccommend it for anything! i have had my escape for about four years and i would definately buy another one."

lOVE IT

By on Monday, February 4, 2008

"I have an 03 that I bought in 03 & have had problems with at all. I highly recommend it for single folks like myself who transport items or just end up leaving items inside their vehicles like I do. I also recommend it for families, comfort & lots of leg room & storage room."

Escape Review

By on Wednesday, January 16, 2008

"I have a 05 Escape with over 72K miles and have not had any mechanical trouble with this vehicle. It gets around 26 mpg with a 4 cylinder engine and is strong enough to go up the mountains on snowpacked roads to take me to the ski areas/resorts."