2002 Ford Escape

8.4

Based on 1259 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

Very good vehicle!

By on Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Pros: "great in snow, pretty safe"

Cons: "no traction control"

"I bought my Escape brand new in 2003. I've had it for 13 yrs now and have been pretty happy with it. I love the "on- demand" 4x4... It's been excellent in the snow. We've had a few things go wrong with it in the last 3-4 yrs. It eats alternators every 2 yrs it seems. I've had to put 2 new sets of brakes on it, new tires, and the regular maintenance. I plan to keep it for a bit longer as long as it stays running."

One of the best vehicles I have ever owned

By on Monday, May 9, 2016

"6 years of nearly zero problems with my Escape hybrid. Killer driver in the winter here in MN, no problems at all. I can get 31mpg if I watch my driving. Tough vehicle with plenty of room. Yes, it has that standard SVU look, but for a light SVU it's great. Nearly as good as my Taurus, love it"

LOVED this car!

By on Thursday, March 21, 2013

Reason: needed more space

Pros: "Fun to drive all year round! Great gas mileage!"

Cons: "rethink if you have small kids."

"I bought my 2003 Ford Escape XLS in January of 2005 with 70000 miles on it. It was a program car, hence the higher mileage. It was awesome. Extremely reliable. Great clearance height for awesome winter driving without 4WD. I was impressed with this SUV for having a comfortable ride, good gas mileage for an SUV, roomy and lots of space for hauling things with the back seat folded down. The A/C was as cold as cold could be and it always started in the winter months without issue. I hit a deer once with it going about 55 MPH and barely felt the impact. I felt very safe in this SUV. The damage was minimal so I had it repaired. The only reason I sold it was because we had a child and there wasn't enough room when we went on long trips with a pack and play, stroller, luggage, and all the other things kids come with. The only money I ever put into it was replacing coils which isn't expensive if you know how to do it yourself (my brother did it for me). Tires can be a little pricey too (a set of 4 ran me about $600 with install and everything). I will totally buy another one after our kids are bigger and don't need strollers and pack and plays."

Great high school and college car

By on Thursday, March 14, 2013

"Got this car when I was a sophomore in high school with 34,000 miles. I am about to complete my 4th year in college and have had no major issues with it at 95,000 miles. It's a little loud on country interstate at above 70. At only 4 cylinders, accelerating up hills on the interstate above 75mph can be painful. However I have gotten it up to well over 100. It's been averaging around 20miles to a gallon with my lead foot."

Great truck

By on Tuesday, June 8, 2010

"I bought my 4cyl. 5spd. Escape with 100,000 miles and have added another 150,000 with no problems. Still uses no oil and gets 26MPG. I'll I've done is brakes, tires (1 set), belt, and alternator. Very versatile vehicle that I will hate to replace. Will probably get another one if I can find one like it"