2012 Dodge Journey

7.0

Based on 410 Ratings for the 2009 - 2017 models.

7.3/10
    7.0/10
    7.3/10
    7.2/10

Great Vehicle

By on Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pros: "room and many little storage areas inside"

Cons: "the very back does not have the room of a mini van"

"I think that this is a great car, a great buy and it gives you a lot of room if you have a big family without looking like you are in a minivan. It has many extra feature to hide things and even in the back you really don't feel cramped. I was pleasantly surprised. I was all set to purchase a Toyota Highlander and the Dodge Journey won me over and was much cheaper."

not worth the money spent

By on Friday, September 2, 2016

"we have had nothing but issues with our journey. the radio has been replace it was changing stations by itself. the passenger door actuator went out and you had to climb through the car to let the passenger inside. they missed a spot on the roof of the car when they were painting and you can see clear coat right over the primer. the car is two years old and now the hood of the has bubbles starting under the paint. we liked the car for the third row. the third row is very deceiving on the size. a small child is cramped in the third row seat."

Love It!

By on Monday, May 31, 2010

"I bought my Journey a year ago and love it. We live in the country and were unable to get out of our driveway in the past when we got snow unless it was plowed. This past year my AWD Journey made it right out. I am extremely happy with the vehicle, I use synthetic oil in it and get 20 mpg city and 23.5 highway. I would recommend it to anyone. The only thing I am dissatisfied with is the interior lights. I have UConnect and as a result halogen lights are required and they do not illuminate the vehicle very well. Also there are floor lights that I find to be very annoying when driving at night. (I am unable to shut these off unless I want the dash to be dimmed.)"

Not my best decision.

By on Saturday, September 24, 2016

Pros: "comfortable, roomy, 3rd row, lots of space."

Cons: "needs brakes often, not reliable or dependable."

"I bought it when I started putting money into my Toyota Highlander at 250,000 miles and traded it, 3 years ago. I should have kept it. It ran better at that high mileage than this one. When I first bought it I had the problem of the car shutting off, the ignition was replaced, then a year later I replaced the transmission (thank God I got the extended warranty). The brakes go in this car every 3 months. (Again very thankful I have a reasonable mechanic) The brakes are not made big enough for the size of this vehicle. It drives nice and it's very roomy and comfortable. This year it wouldn't start, I replaced the starter, the relay and a few fuses but it can still do it from time to time. It's just not reliable. Hoping to trade it soon and go into a more reliable vehicle. I personally would not spend the money on this model or year. Although I know people who have the AWD and love it. I have the FWD."

Great Family Vehicle

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Great Value"

"This car is great for a family and driving kids around. With the third row seat it is very versatile. Good power and decent gas mileage."

Excellant vehicle ever

By on Monday, July 13, 2009

"I would recommend this vehicle to anyone. Good on gas mileage drives nice. my husband and i were looking around last year (2008) for a new vehicle test drove Chevy Equinox and the Buick Enclave cept on coming back to the Dodge Journey. We bought the R/T with evertyihng in it my husband and I love it."

By on Thursday, March 4, 2010

"This car is an absolute joy to drive. The power of the 3.5L engine is wonderful! The car is comfy to sit in. Better interior would be appreciated, but looking at all the competitors everyone uses too much hard plastic. Great ground clearance. Only went to a dealer to have the oil changed, everything else is solid and well built."

never again!

By on Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"i bought this 4 cyl for my job (delivery) for "good gas mileage" boy did i pick the wrong car! my 2001 grand cherokee awd v8 gets the same mileage. not to mention the fact that it takes 20 min to get to 60mph with the air on. im a mopar girl all the way...and will continue to be when i trade this PIECE in ASAP"

Not happy

By on Thursday, January 15, 2009

"The most troublesome factor is the upholstery fabric, have already had front and back replaced. Even water leaves stains even after Scotchgard. Labeling over key slot is coming off. The soda can cooler is a joke, I had 2 cans of pop explode in there. I miss a digital compass and keyless entry remote. We have had lots of Dodges, but I will not purchase a Journey again."

I love my Journey!

By on Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great power, AWD is excellent"

Cons: "Tires cost a fortune"

"I own a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT AWD that has been nothing less than miraculous. I heard a lot of horror stories about the Journey but I got a price I couldn't pass up. The most "unreliable"vehicle now is approaching 100000 miles without any signs of stopping. I have had ZERO problems with it including the brakes. The 3.5 still runs like new and never uses a drop of oil. The A/C still blows Ice Cold and there is absolutely no squeeks or rattles to be heard. The AWD system is excellent, the week I bought it I drove through a nasty blizzard; when traffic came to a standstill, nobody could make it up a very steep hill. I attempted to climb the hill and the Journey kept digging and I was one of four cars to make it to the top (A Subaru, Grand Cherokee, and a Pacifica.) I average 22 mpg which I find acceptable. My new job will require me to do even more driving (60000 a year) and I will probably be buying a new car. The Journey is staying with me as well, I plan on keeping it until it dies. I will be buying a new Durango within the next 6 months. I've had very good luck with Chrysler products and they have won a customer for life."

Best crossover ever

By on Monday, December 7, 2009

"This is the best crossover I've ever driven. We use to have a Caliber and loved it as well, but as our family grew we needed something larger and the Dodge Journey is perfect. Great handling (specially in the snowy hills of Eastern Iowa). Good gas mileage (averaged 26 mpg on two separate 2000+ mile trips). Would recommend the SXT or R/T over the SE as the larger engine comes in handy in hilly conditions."

Very Nice Value

By on Friday, February 21, 2014

Pros: "Price, features, build quality, 3rd row"

Cons: "exterior look - more Caravan than Durango"

"The Dodge Journey is the best value in it's category. I shopped around, and the amount of features for the $$ was unbeatable with the Journey. The V6 is a phenomenal engine with great power coupled with a smooth 6 speed trans. We don't use the 3rd row often, but it is a fantastic option to have available. I was never a Dodge fan, but I have been impressed with the quality and feel of the Journey. This may seem insignificant, but I like it when i close my car door and the vehicle feels solid. We have had no reliability issues just at 1 year of owennership! I have recommended this vehicle to my friends and family and look forward to purchasing a Durango in the near future."

BEST AFFORDABLE SUB FOR THE FAMILY!

By on Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Pros: "Very Affordable, Safe, Power Everything, 3rd Row"

Cons: "Value Decreases Quickly"

"I just purchased the 2012 Dodge Journey AVP in September of 2016. I am so happy I chose this SUV! I have come to really enjoy Dodge and this car was just as reliable and affordable as I have come to expect from them. If your like me and simply cannot afford 30k for the Toyota Highlander or Ford Explorer - the Dodge Journey is perfect for you! My kids love the third row seating and it is functional as well as comfortable. The drivers seat is super comfy and the smooth ride makes me feel safe. There are so many little convenience features- driving the Journey is very rewarding! There are lights that illuminate the ground at night when your stepping out of the car, great for making sure you have good footing. The dash is a array of functional features including range according to what is in the gas tank and real time MPG. The fabric interior is soft but durable, the wear and tear from children does not scare the Journey one bit. The climate control is excellent for keeping everyone happy and comfortable. The walk up unlock feature is awesome if your carrying a baby and can't fumble with keys to unlock the doors - simply approach the car with keys and it welcomes you by unlocking. The exterior is sharp and modern - it is a cool looking car. Get basically all the space of a minivan without the bulky look. The rear seats fold down so you have plenty of room if you need to haul groceries or furniture. For being a large SUV the Journey is super easy to drive - and it is not hard to see where your going without a back up camera. Power doors, windows, moon-roof, heated mirrors, climate control, nice stock speakers, and touch screen radio make this car my new favorite in the Dodge line. If your like me and just can't waste 30 - 40 grand on a car but still want something functional and nice - don't wait any longer - get the Journey and you will not regret it!"

better than minivan

By on Friday, March 27, 2009

"i bought this car for my wife, and she loves it more with every passing day. its acceleration is fenaminal and it has a much better ride than our 2007 grand caravan. the only complaint i have is the center counsil where the raidio is, i'm 6'5" and my knee sterts to hurt after a long drive. other than that it is the best value for a cross over type car. we bought it for ten thousand less than the ford or g.m."

A very comfortable multi purpose vehicle

By on Saturday, October 17, 2015

Pros: "a lot of car for the money"

Cons: "four cylinder is reliable but needs a little more"

"Love my Journey! Very comfortable multi purpose vehicle. Great for people moving or for hauling supplies & my multi media equipment. The only detractor is that my four cylinder four speed is a little sluggish. But not so much as to take away from the great value of this car. You get a lot of room, comfort and smooth road manners for not much money when compared with some others I considered."

This car is vastly under-rated

By on Sunday, August 21, 2016

"I have owned this car for more than two years without any issues at all. The interior is well designed, and the 8.4" screen is very helpful. Several of my neighbors have bought Journeys as well due to this car. The stance and wheels are great as well."

Owned 2010 4yrs next month, bought a new crew

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "7 passanger, 6 cyl. lots of toys to play with."

"Our 2010 SXT was excellent. 7 passanger, 6 cyl. ran great. put 45K miles on it and traded it yesterday for a new 2013 journey crew, fully loaded. Plenty of room to take the grand kids on vacation. Rides better than the 3 previous Cadillacs we've owned. Would reccomend this to anyone looking for a great comfortable suv. Always get the 6 cyl. lots of power to spare. Lots of toys on the new one to make traveling fun."

I would replace

By on Wednesday, September 15, 2010

"I have had my 2009 since June of 09 and I love it. The third row seats folds flat which gives me room that my previous mini van didn't for groceries. This is by far the best vehicle for the money I have owned that fits my family of 6. If I wrecked it today, I would have another one tomorrow. I don't regret my decision one bit."

What a LEMON

By on Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pros: "decent mpg, nice looking vehicle"

Cons: "bad brakes, misfiring cylinders, bad customer serv"

"BRAKE ISSUES and ENGINE PROBLEMS. Bought this vehicle brand new 19 months ago. It has been in the shop more than not. Chrysler’s not willing to back their product. After about a week of ownership received letter from Chrysler there was a known brake defect and they would warranty them with deductibles up to 36k miles vs 12k. At 7445 miles I had brake issues. Dealership fixed no charge. At 19653 had second brake job. At 24k more brake issue, rotor and pads replaced on front and back, $50 deductable. At 28000 miles 3rd brake job all 4 wheels, calibers hang up $100 deductable. I had the vehicle in 9x for brakes. Also engine misfire. Now there is a lifter noise. Contacted Chrysler asked for assistance. Asked to have replaced under LEMON LAW. They said wasn't a lemon, would not waive deductible for brakes. The moldings around the front doors have been replaced 3x and the overhead consol was also replaced 3x. Had a friend who bought the same vehicle one week after me. She traded hers off within the first sixt months due to the same engine problems I experienced. Reviewed various websites and found SEVERAL reviews with the same issues. Chrysler delivered a very bad product with the 2010 Journey. NOT HAPPY LOOSING MONEY, between the down payment and current trade in value, I am loosing $6000 but to put new brakes on every 7 to 13000, I will go broke. Saying good bye to Chrysler and hello to GM."

Love it!

By on Monday, September 10, 2012

Pros: "Lots of car for the money, very comfortable seats!"

Cons: "Some of the plastic in the interior feels cheap."

"I love everything about this vehicle, it's so much car for the money! I most enjoy the way it drives, very smooth gear shifting, you don't even feel it. For such a large vehicle i'm pleased with the gas mileage, we get about 19mpg around town with all the stop and go. Also the seats are extremely comfortable, great for long trips! We are truly loving this vehicle and plan to keep it for a very long time!"

I LOVE THIS CAR!!

By on Monday, October 10, 2016

Pros: "User friendly, comfortable, awesome"

"I totally think this car is under-rated! Ours is brand new yes, but I read all the reviews and have talked to Journey owners and they love theirs as well. I was a little nervous because of the reviews, but when I talked to people (that I didn't even know!!), they told me the car didn't get a 'fair shake'. They are right! It is comfortable, drives smooth, rides smooth, and I can fit everything and everyone in it at the same time. The Bluetooth connection is great, the UConnect as well. It has great acceleration gets great gas mileage, is comfortable and I LOVE IT. Highly recommend!!"

Get the bugs out.

By on Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"My 09 Journey STX is 10 months on the road has 29000 miles and has been in the shop 6 times so far. The vehicle has never broken down on me but there has been many issues that are annoying and are not acceptable. Most recent was that with in 25K miles the brake pads have worn down and the pads worn uneven and even had scorn the rotter from what the service manager told me "Too Much Metal in the pads." and of course they didn't warrant it because it was a wear item. Pads never made it to the indicators but damaged rotter so expensive fix at my cost. Yea thats High Quality Mopar Parts. The AC makes a loud rattle that has yet to be fixed, there was a grinding noise from the steering and was found that the reservoir was too small after several trips in, There was a creek in the pillar passenger side that took 2 service shop attempts and one full day the body shop to locate the fix. In the process they damaged the headliner and scratched up several places on door panels and other plastics. So back to the shop for a new headliner when delivered. Door hinges tend to start to make a spring sprung sound they fix with loading up on grease. Sunroof makes loud rub noise when opening in vent position. Last thing I can think of is that the alarm has gone off 2 times and the only way to turn if off is use the pull out key to unlock the door because the fob won't respond. The dealer hasn't been able to duplicate so guess I will have to live with this. Okay so the good about the vehicle is that it does have a good amount of power with the V6 but it averages around 18 to 21 mpg on a regular basis. One of the main features and reasons for the purchase was the towing. The 3500 lbs tow is a bit much for the car on speeds of 45 mph or more but around town it does okay. The gearing for 1st 2nd and 3rd are way too close together so shifting with manual mode you just bump through all three gears within 20 mph. It is a fairly comfortable ride and roomy car. The AC works very well and with the rear ac option the car cools down fairly quick. Don't count on the dash drink holder to cool your drinks as it heats up when car is off and runs off the ac so you get a slightly cooler than room temp drink. The under floor mats drink holders don't have drain holes so you have to be careful not to get carpet wet when emptying. Good amount of storage room through out. The interior lighting is fair and attractive. Traction is good and the car stops fast and hard when needed. This was very impressive to me when I had to nail them once because a kid road his bike right out in front of me. The third row seating is cramped and when you sit the seat up there isn't but 12 inches of cargo room which won't even hold most coolers or items for the trip. Overall, the vehicle has many good options and has been reliable to get from point A to B but I have found that the quality isn't what I expected or as good as the Nissans I always had in the past. Also one MAIN POINT to get across is, within 6 months and 18K miles I went to trade due to the unsatisfied towing I needed and found that I had already lost 11K in depreciation. Now in less than a year that has increased to about 15K..... That's a 65% loss in less than 10 months. I hope this helped in your decision. It would have if I had know before I bought."

Dependable and comfortable

By on Friday, March 15, 2013

"This is a Great car with good gas milage for its size and utility. It can carry up to 7 passangers, tow a trailer, have luggage on the roof rack and still get 23 miles per gallon on the highway and in comfort. You cant't beat that. With a standard load and a cold air intake I get 27-30 MPG on the highway. That is great for a V6 SUV. For the price it out does the competition. Cost $2000-5000 less then anything in its class as equipt"

Great car

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "AWD great in bad weather.Comfortable lots of power"

"Only problem has been bluetooth. Took 2 trys to get it fixed. Commute 130 miles a day now have 31000 miles on 2011. V6 engine,winter average mileage about 24. Summer average about 26. Lowest average milage for week driving was 21.2 Highest for week was 28.1. Great ride and handling love the nav and hands free. Been really great having to haul around grandkids."

Worst car ever.

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"I bought my 2010 journey in may of 2010 brand new. At first I loved it, but by 6 months in realized that it was just a terrible car. All the extra "perks" that you thought you'd love, you'll hate! The in dash cooling system, where your supposed to put drinks, not only doesn't keep them cool, but shakes them up as you drive. The third row seat is hard to get into, and basically impossible to when you have 2 car seats in the middle row. The third row as barely any leg room, so If you planned on adults or teens sitting back there, you can forget it. When you have your third row up, you have NO room behind it for storage of any type. When you turn your ac off in the front, it shuts off the back too. You have to have the front on for it to work any where else. Those are just some of the issues you will have if you get this car. some of the other issues I've had with my car are, my sun visors started changing colors from a tan to red, the breaks and rotors need to be replaced frequently (the breaks are actually too small for that size of a car, which causes them to heat up and warp the rotors), the DVD system stops working. When you insert a disk it freezes the system and you have to shut the car off and turn it back on to get your disk back. When your driving and apply the breaks you get a terrible shaking in your steering wheel and car. I would not reccomend this car to anyone. I talked to a cars sales man today, and he informed me that journeys are just a terrible car in general, and have one of the lowest trade in rates. I wish I would have had him as a cars sales man when I was buying the car, I definatly wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now."