2012 Dodge Journey

7.0

Based on 418 Ratings for the 2009 - 2017 models.

7.2/10
    7.0/10
    7.3/10
    7.2/10

Love It!

By on Monday, May 31, 2010

"I bought my Journey a year ago and love it. We live in the country and were unable to get out of our driveway in the past when we got snow unless it was plowed. This past year my AWD Journey made it right out. I am extremely happy with the vehicle, I use synthetic oil in it and get 20 mpg city and 23.5 highway. I would recommend it to anyone. The only thing I am dissatisfied with is the interior lights. I have UConnect and as a result halogen lights are required and they do not illuminate the vehicle very well. Also there are floor lights that I find to be very annoying when driving at night. (I am unable to shut these off unless I want the dash to be dimmed.)"

Get the bugs out.

By on Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"My 09 Journey STX is 10 months on the road has 29000 miles and has been in the shop 6 times so far. The vehicle has never broken down on me but there has been many issues that are annoying and are not acceptable. Most recent was that with in 25K miles the brake pads have worn down and the pads worn uneven and even had scorn the rotter from what the service manager told me "Too Much Metal in the pads." and of course they didn't warrant it because it was a wear item. Pads never made it to the indicators but damaged rotter so expensive fix at my cost. Yea thats High Quality Mopar Parts. The AC makes a loud rattle that has yet to be fixed, there was a grinding noise from the steering and was found that the reservoir was too small after several trips in, There was a creek in the pillar passenger side that took 2 service shop attempts and one full day the body shop to locate the fix. In the process they damaged the headliner and scratched up several places on door panels and other plastics. So back to the shop for a new headliner when delivered. Door hinges tend to start to make a spring sprung sound they fix with loading up on grease. Sunroof makes loud rub noise when opening in vent position. Last thing I can think of is that the alarm has gone off 2 times and the only way to turn if off is use the pull out key to unlock the door because the fob won't respond. The dealer hasn't been able to duplicate so guess I will have to live with this. Okay so the good about the vehicle is that it does have a good amount of power with the V6 but it averages around 18 to 21 mpg on a regular basis. One of the main features and reasons for the purchase was the towing. The 3500 lbs tow is a bit much for the car on speeds of 45 mph or more but around town it does okay. The gearing for 1st 2nd and 3rd are way too close together so shifting with manual mode you just bump through all three gears within 20 mph. It is a fairly comfortable ride and roomy car. The AC works very well and with the rear ac option the car cools down fairly quick. Don't count on the dash drink holder to cool your drinks as it heats up when car is off and runs off the ac so you get a slightly cooler than room temp drink. The under floor mats drink holders don't have drain holes so you have to be careful not to get carpet wet when emptying. Good amount of storage room through out. The interior lighting is fair and attractive. Traction is good and the car stops fast and hard when needed. This was very impressive to me when I had to nail them once because a kid road his bike right out in front of me. The third row seating is cramped and when you sit the seat up there isn't but 12 inches of cargo room which won't even hold most coolers or items for the trip. Overall, the vehicle has many good options and has been reliable to get from point A to B but I have found that the quality isn't what I expected or as good as the Nissans I always had in the past. Also one MAIN POINT to get across is, within 6 months and 18K miles I went to trade due to the unsatisfied towing I needed and found that I had already lost 11K in depreciation. Now in less than a year that has increased to about 15K..... That's a 65% loss in less than 10 months. I hope this helped in your decision. It would have if I had know before I bought."

Great car

By on Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Pros: "AWD great in bad weather.Comfortable lots of power"

"Only problem has been bluetooth. Took 2 trys to get it fixed. Commute 130 miles a day now have 31000 miles on 2011. V6 engine,winter average mileage about 24. Summer average about 26. Lowest average milage for week driving was 21.2 Highest for week was 28.1. Great ride and handling love the nav and hands free. Been really great having to haul around grandkids."

Worst car ever.

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"I bought my 2010 journey in may of 2010 brand new. At first I loved it, but by 6 months in realized that it was just a terrible car. All the extra "perks" that you thought you'd love, you'll hate! The in dash cooling system, where your supposed to put drinks, not only doesn't keep them cool, but shakes them up as you drive. The third row seat is hard to get into, and basically impossible to when you have 2 car seats in the middle row. The third row as barely any leg room, so If you planned on adults or teens sitting back there, you can forget it. When you have your third row up, you have NO room behind it for storage of any type. When you turn your ac off in the front, it shuts off the back too. You have to have the front on for it to work any where else. Those are just some of the issues you will have if you get this car. some of the other issues I've had with my car are, my sun visors started changing colors from a tan to red, the breaks and rotors need to be replaced frequently (the breaks are actually too small for that size of a car, which causes them to heat up and warp the rotors), the DVD system stops working. When you insert a disk it freezes the system and you have to shut the car off and turn it back on to get your disk back. When your driving and apply the breaks you get a terrible shaking in your steering wheel and car. I would not reccomend this car to anyone. I talked to a cars sales man today, and he informed me that journeys are just a terrible car in general, and have one of the lowest trade in rates. I wish I would have had him as a cars sales man when I was buying the car, I definatly wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now."

Freedom and Independence again.

By on Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pros: "Fun and easy to drive."

"I'll start by saying, I came and utilized this site when I was thinking about trading in my old car (06 Cobalt, 2 dr) and getting a new one. I did much research here and had my ducks in a row when I set out to speak to the only salesperson I factually dealt with. This site gave me the ability to have facts of what my car was worth and what the worth was on a new purchase. Thank you so much. I got every dollar I asked for, for my old car. Put some money down and actually drove off in my new 2012 Journey with it being worth more than I owe. After I got the Journey home I ordered the manual and read all the information I was given on the vehicle. I chose the smaller motor as it is the same motor my old car had and I loved it for me and my needs. Broke in the vehicle as they suggested and got the oil changed at 400 miles as with any new motor, molds making metal parts. To ease my mind of any metal pieces that would be worked off of corner pieces or whatever. Then I loaded that baby down and my guy and I, with my 65lb service dog headed for Colorado. On the road I physically learned the Auto Stick and have realized since the trip of the situations in which the Auto Stick should be used and I love it. I love the Cruise Control. And perhaps I should back up a bit and mention the word Disability. In which I am Disabled with an issue that causes me great pain and with the Cruise Control. I can squirm and wiggle to new positions in the drivers seat when I need to. Absolutely love love love it. The reason I traded my old car was, it hurt me and this Journey doesn't. I used the CD and it seems that it's too sensitive as when we'd go over a bump it changed to the next song. No big deal. My other car did that when it was new and it sorted itself out and I'm hoping this one will too. But I'm not that big on playing CD's so it's not an issue. The drivers seat with the Lumbar control is absolutely awesome. When one setting is beginning to annoy me. I simply move it's position and I'm good. Love love love it. I love the "in the floor" compartments. I love the console compartment and the center compartment. I can have my GPS and other valuables with me and there not in view. I read all the reviews about the third row of seats and I'm not sure I'd agree with all the complaints. I'm not sure I'll ever need to use the third row of seats as with my Service Animal. With the third row down. I can have folks in the second row and he is belted to one of the brackets in the rear, so in between him and the second row. I can have luggage or whatever. Worked out fantastically as we brought my mother back with us and had plenty of room. Of course I did come back with more than I went with. While we were there we purchased a soft "large" Highlander case that straps to the luggage racks on top and it didn't seem to slow me down one bit. Two nights on the way back we simply slept at a rest area and headed out again at sunlight. We were so loaded we couldn't recline much but we were comfortable. Any one that has driven from the East to Western Colorado knows you have to go over the Great Divide. And we had no problems what so ever. I watched the temp gauge. Stable just under half way. So I learned that spot is the normal. Which was factually under 200 degrees. When it was chilly out. The needle dropped slightly. Going over the mountains. I was able to set the Cruise and go with the flow. If I needed to slow. I used the minus on that and decreased my speed. And the same with increasing speeds. When it was relevant to be in a lower gear, I used the Auto Stick. In which it would seem to me that 3rd and 4th actually have two gears each. Plainly apparent as I could hear the differences in the motor and see it in the tach. I didn't push it too hard and I ran under 3000 RPM going over the mountains. And when I was on the flat lands the RPM stayed just above 2000. So the difference between this Journey and my old Cobalt are minimal with regard to that. As I, last year. Made the same trip in the Cobalt. I got 29 miles to the gallon for most of the trip and with the air on, going over the mountains. Got an average of 26 mpg. I am so happy with this vehicle. But it's so new you say. How do you know you'll still love it in 5 years, you say. Simple. I'm good on vehicles and know nothing about any other vehicles but GM for a lifetime. And I have become a Dodge fan now. As for my needs now. This just may be the last vehicle I ever own. If it were going to have issues. Something would have happened. Cars have always seemed to talk to me and this one shows me I'm going to be ok. Personal opinion on maintenance. When we got back from Colorado. My mileage was slightly over 4000. The book says to have the oil changed at 6000. And that's bonkers. For a lifetime I have changed the oil in whatever, every 3000 miles or 3 months, depending on garage kept or not. And I just had the oil changed at a Dealership and they put on the sticker that I should be back for an oil change in 3000 miles. You have to have common sense on what you need a vehicle to do for you're lifestyle. And as with any large ticket item. You've got to respect it. In which this one I respect. Everyone had a great trip and we were very comfortable. The climate control. eg fan, air conditioner. The different vents on top and the separate controls work great. My guy in the front passenger seat could be cooler. And my mother in the second row could be warmer. And the dog had air on him too. There are 4 ceiling vents. Common sense would tell you. Close the one next to mom while mom has her's open. And I shut one of the vents off back where the dog was and kept the one over the dog open. On bi-level. The air ran more efficiently that way. And my mom could change her's if she choose to or I could control them all. I'm really happy I found this vehicle. It doesn't hurt me. And I actually drove it off the lot with it being worth more than I owe. I love the way it drives. I love everything about it. And as with most vehicles. Between the drivers side window and the windshield there is a blind spot. Requiring one to lean forward on left curves. The molded bump that helps the glove box light shut off when you shut the glove box, is not tall enough. But there's some little felt circle's back in the jack compartment that I've found that I stuck on that bump and now the light goes off. Those are the only negative's I've found. I'm really happy that we have Kelly Blue Book. As they help you have your ducks in a row. And that helps you approach the salesperson with the attitude they dish to you, usually. Beyond my expectations. Thank you !"

Don't Buy Dodge Journey

By on Saturday, February 12, 2011

"I'll start with the positives because there are a few, but not enough to warrant a recommendation to buy. It drives nicely, it has a cool entertainment system. It's cute and has lots of fun features. It is quiet and has get up and go. Roomy, however, 7 people do not fit comfortably despite seating for 7. Now for the bad news. The gas mileage blows and is no where near what is stated. I average 12-13 city. My sister's Tahoe gets better gas mileage. Brakes - there is a serious issue with the brakes on this vehicle. You can google it and find countless stories. I had to replace my pads and rotors at 9900 miles - yes, you read that right, less than 10k miles. Engine - I had to have the rocker assemblies replaced because they were worn. This was also done at 9900 miles. Seems a little early in the game for that kind of wear. I too hear the werid grinding noise when turning left, not sure what it is. Electrical - the power window on the passenger side never functioned properly. It stops mid-way when rolling up and you have to let go of the window controler and press it over and over to get the window full rolled up. The dash board lights turn off and back on when turning off the wiper blades. Normal according to my dealership. Interior - I have lovely piece of trim that keeps falling off. The dealership has ordered a new one. This is my first non GM vehicle and definitely my last. Very sad I bought it and very scared what repairs await me in the future. DON'T BUY!"

Can't stand this Vehicle

By on Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pros: "nice looking"

Cons: "to many to mention."

"I have had nothing but problems since the Journey was 2 years old. Most problems are not covered by warranty and I will never own another Dodge. Rotors and Brakes replaced 3 times. Parts for this Vehicle are so expensive no matter what it is."

Worst Vehicle I Have Owned

By on Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"I bought my Journey in May 2008 and have had it in the shop several times since then. I had a horrible groaning noise when I turned the wheel in which the service man told me that, that is normal with new vehicles, WHAT!!! Then 5 months later I get a call that there has been a recall for something to do with the power steering. I have already had to have my brakes done and got another excuse and now I have to take it in for a recall involving the braking system, HMMM!! Now I am having other issues also and my vehicle is only 6 months old."

Incredible comfort

By on Friday, April 21, 2017

Pros: "comfort, reasonalbe price, so much room, 3rd row"

"This vehicle has incredible seats! Our trips to Colorado with our dogs have never been so great. Not only easy to sleep in them but also nice sitting for a long period of time... SO much space in the back for multiple people, even when all seats are filled (all 7) seems although there is still enough wiggle room for everyone. I have read reviews showing this car is unreliable, but some vehicles you pick and choose and sometimes you get a bad egg. Ours is 2012 with 56K and is has been great, has taken a few trips out of state and never had an issue. We give it the usual oil changes as necessary and rotate tires when needed. This is a vehicle I know we will keep for a long time. I can only imagine how much kid stuff we can stuff in the storage compartments on one of our car trips!"

Great family car

By on Thursday, December 1, 2016

"great car, very comfortable and secure. the engine is a little small for the weight of the vehicle when accelerating but have a great displacement in highway. average 19mpg"