2011 Dodge Journey

6.9

Based on 420 Ratings for the 2009 - 2017 models.

7.2/10
    6.9/10
    7.3/10
    7.2/10

Great family car

By on Thursday, December 1, 2016

"great car, very comfortable and secure. the engine is a little small for the weight of the vehicle when accelerating but have a great displacement in highway. average 19mpg"

SAFE GREAT VEHICLE

By on Sunday, November 13, 2016

Pros: "roomy, drives well, good gas mileage for size"

Cons: "this model did not have driver power or lumbar"

"My husband had a head on collision in our 2013 Journey and by the grace of God he walked away. It was totaled but I feel had he been in a smaller or different SUV things wouldn't have turned out so well. I went and got a new 2016 Journey because of this when I was able to replace."

2015 Journey R/T Fully Loaded and Underrated

By on Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Pros: "Value, Loaded with Features, Bluetooth integration"

Cons: "Stylisticly, not the "coolest" looking car."

"This sleeper car is very much underrated. The value you get when adding in top of the line options makes for a great deal. V6 power with tuned suspension on the R/T drives fantastic. Good gas mileage for a V6. Ice cold air in extended desert conditions. Roomy and clever storage everywhere. Comfortable heated leather seats, roomy rear seat, dual zone A/C, premium sound system with the best hands free Uconnect system I have ever used. iPod integration is excellent. Paid $27K new, nothing else in it's class was anywhere close with all the bells and whistles."

Very good car

By on Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pros: "great price, good service and safe"

"Bought this car in January 2010 and was in an accident three months later to the tune of over $13,000. to repair. Side air bags deployed and in my opinion saved my life but did break 3 ribs. The only expense I've had was to replace tires at 40.000. Still have original battery. It has been a great vehicle. Excellent vehicle for the price."

2012 dodge journey 3.6L 6 spd auto

By on Sunday, April 7, 2013

"bought in november 2012 and love the overall performance and reliability. beat all other competitors in price and standard features. looked at mazda,toyota,ford and honda and they all came up short in amenities and priced way too high to justify wasting money on their over hyped ' value'. averaging 21.5 mpg after 3000 miles and it continues to improve. 8.4 sat radio/climate screen, LED exterior/interior lighting, 3rd row seating and ease of operation makes this vehicle a competent SUV."

Love it

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Has plenty of ports to charge personal devices"

Cons: "The AVP package lacks Bluetooth & Garage opener"

"So far I love my car! It handled like a dream runs quiet and rides great. Road trips are a awesome with this car."

overall a great car

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pros: "driveability and comfort"

Cons: "not the greatest milage, but not too bad either"

"This car was very well designed with convienience and comfort in mind. Everything about this car is very good."

Love this car!!!!

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"This is a great car. Drives wonderful and gets good gas mileage."

the best vehicle i ever owned

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

"This crossover is a very well designed vehicle. I was hit by a F350 work truck full size going between sixty and seventy mph directly into my drivers side door and although the vehicle is undriveable it held together very well. I was able to walk away from this crash with a couple scratches and bruised ribs when i clearly should have suffered much worse injuries.It is my opinion that the excellent design saved my life.I will recomend this vehicle to everyone and I will be buying another one as well.This is a very well built vehicle!!!!"

Do Not Buy The Journey!

By on Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pros: "Design is nice"

Cons: "Everything else!"

"Bought this car 5 months ago and I can't give the car away now! Bought it for $25,000 and now it's only worth about $16,000! The price-point was good, the quality was comparable to my previous car, and the reliability is excellent. The car is not comfortable at all, especially for those of you who commute or do long distance travelling (like my family). I had to literally stop every 2 hours just to get the crick out of my back from the seat. Space is adequate for a small family. Any more than 2 children and you are going to have problems. The third row seat is not useable at all. No one but toddlers can fit back there! If you are going to spend at least $25,000 for an SUV, go for the bigger ones like the Chevy Traverse or Dodge Durango. Steer clear from this mess!"

Not worth the trouble.

By on Saturday, April 23, 2011

"I currently own a 2009 Dodge Journey and I am so SORRY I eer purchased it. I have had more headaches than any new vehicle owner should have. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM OF ALL IS WITH THE BRAKES. I HAVE HAD THE BRAKES, PADS AND ROTORS, REPLACED 3 TIMES IN 11 MONTHS (MARCH 2010 TO FEB 2011). IT'S NOT MY DRIVING SKILLS,OR THE ROTORS AND PADS. I have been told it is caused by the wheels heating up and warping the Rotors. Every time the brakes start to go bad, it starts with the entire car vibrating while I'm driving down the Interstate; this increases when I try to hit the brakes. You can't imagine how horrible it feels to wonder if you will lose your life when you need to stop and your car won't respond. Oh, and.... The fact that the Dash melted in the sun should have been an indicator of things to come. I don't think the dealership telling me that the Hot FLORIDA SUN may be to blame. I should be able to live in "Tierra del Fuego" and not have that happen. The emergency peddle broke off within 6 months of ownership. The seats stain from anything falling on it; even water. They had to replace the entire seat because they could not get the stains out(I bought it with those stains, and the saleman promised they would clean it). Bottom line is that Dodge used poor material to manufacture this auto and now wants to sell it as the best thing since sliced bread. Not so much! I am not the only person having this problem. Check ALL the "Known Complaints for 2009 Dodge Journey" online, and you will see what I mean. Why won't Dodge do a RECALL? I am fling for The Lemon Law. My vehicle is not worth very much right now in your KBB. I Hate Dodge Journey!!!!!!!!!"

Terrible quality

By on Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"Brake pads wore out after 12000 miles, brakes squealed had to replace the front rotors local Dodge dealership handed me a paper from Dodge stating that the squealing was "normal vehicle noises" . Front end vibrates when braking at freeway speed. Sluggish motor for a 6 cylinder. Can't keep the front end aligned. Terrible leg room in back seats. Sorry I bought it. First Dodge I have owned at it will be the last one. Don't make my mistake...don't buy this car and be cautious buying a Dodge product"

I love my Journey!

By on Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great power, AWD is excellent"

Cons: "Tires cost a fortune"

"I own a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT AWD that has been nothing less than miraculous. I heard a lot of horror stories about the Journey but I got a price I couldn't pass up. The most "unreliable"vehicle now is approaching 100000 miles without any signs of stopping. I have had ZERO problems with it including the brakes. The 3.5 still runs like new and never uses a drop of oil. The A/C still blows Ice Cold and there is absolutely no squeeks or rattles to be heard. The AWD system is excellent, the week I bought it I drove through a nasty blizzard; when traffic came to a standstill, nobody could make it up a very steep hill. I attempted to climb the hill and the Journey kept digging and I was one of four cars to make it to the top (A Subaru, Grand Cherokee, and a Pacifica.) I average 22 mpg which I find acceptable. My new job will require me to do even more driving (60000 a year) and I will probably be buying a new car. The Journey is staying with me as well, I plan on keeping it until it dies. I will be buying a new Durango within the next 6 months. I've had very good luck with Chrysler products and they have won a customer for life."

Worst car ever.

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"I bought my 2010 journey in may of 2010 brand new. At first I loved it, but by 6 months in realized that it was just a terrible car. All the extra "perks" that you thought you'd love, you'll hate! The in dash cooling system, where your supposed to put drinks, not only doesn't keep them cool, but shakes them up as you drive. The third row seat is hard to get into, and basically impossible to when you have 2 car seats in the middle row. The third row as barely any leg room, so If you planned on adults or teens sitting back there, you can forget it. When you have your third row up, you have NO room behind it for storage of any type. When you turn your ac off in the front, it shuts off the back too. You have to have the front on for it to work any where else. Those are just some of the issues you will have if you get this car. some of the other issues I've had with my car are, my sun visors started changing colors from a tan to red, the breaks and rotors need to be replaced frequently (the breaks are actually too small for that size of a car, which causes them to heat up and warp the rotors), the DVD system stops working. When you insert a disk it freezes the system and you have to shut the car off and turn it back on to get your disk back. When your driving and apply the breaks you get a terrible shaking in your steering wheel and car. I would not reccomend this car to anyone. I talked to a cars sales man today, and he informed me that journeys are just a terrible car in general, and have one of the lowest trade in rates. I wish I would have had him as a cars sales man when I was buying the car, I definatly wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now."

Too many trips to the service department

By on Monday, April 22, 2013

Pros: "seats 5 adults 2 kids, lots of storage bins"

Cons: "Too many problems to list in 50 characters"

"I bought this vehicle new at the end of 2008, traded my 4X4 Ford Explorer for more seating and better gas mileage. Purchased a special "bumper to bumper as long as you own the car" maintenance plan. In 2009 windshield washer hosing had to be replaced (warranty covered it), also changed all four break pads and front rotors and all four 19" (only one manufacture sells this type at $1,100 a set)tires. In 2010 engine bolts broke, not covered by "bumper to bumper" plan; also replaced on set of tires and front break pads. In 2011, passenger side heat stopped working, not covered by plan, was reimbursed by dodge for one early break replacement after providing copies of receipts and filling out paperwork. In 2012, needed another set of 19" expensive tires, so instead used taxes and bought four 18" rims and tires for $1,100. This year, ERG sensor out (something to do with exhaust system) not covered by plan. I spend approximately 50% of my driving time on the highway for about 6 - 12 miles a day, and the rest is in and around town, I live about a mile down a well maintained dirt road. I don't drive it in the snow, because it has absolutely no traction, tires will spin at an intersection after it rains. What I might have saved in fuel costs, I have doubled in maintenance that dodge said was not covered. I get routine oil changes and lubes. I have had enough of dodge."

For a brand new vehical under 25K, This has got to

By on Monday, June 6, 2016

Pros: "Fantastic Price and handels easily."

Cons: "No tow package or auto-start"

"Bought the Dodge Journey SXT because of the 7 person seating. It turns out it is one of the best "Compact" SUVs out there. Handling is a dream and seats are comfortable. With the satellite radio, makes the long drives effortless.Pulled an 1100 mile drive and did not hurt afterwards. Mileage is extremely under-rated. With the fuel economy center on the dash, I was easily making 28-32 mpg. Quick response and breaking. Down Side, No tow package available, Did not come with auto start package, No heated seats. All minor considering this is a "Under 25K" Vehicle."

Engine and Transmission

By on Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pros: "Power, storage space, comfort"

Cons: "Transmission, shifting"

"I have the SXT model with the 3.6L V6. Generally, I like the car with the roominess, flexibility, comfort of the ride and ability to get in and out of tight spaces. While the engine has significant power, it also has significant torque steering when you get on the gas. As long as you know it's coming, you'll be OK. My complaint is about the transmission. It's the 6 speed and it is crazy, all over the place as to what gear you're in. You will be doing 30 mph and you're in 6th gear. It shifts rough, it shifts oddly and this is after having it into the dealer for computer updates and new software downloads. There is nothing smooth about the transmission of this car. Which leads me to worry about the long term reliability as my mileage increases."

2009 Journey SXT AWD

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

Pros: "SUV capabilities with low gas milage"

Cons: "not a true 7 seater"

"I bought my 2009 Dodge Journey with 31k miles and have driven about 30k miles with this vehicle since its purchase. So far, this vehicle has been great for me! From the reviews i have read, most people who have problems with the Journey use the base SE model (V4 with 173 HP). Most reviews for the SXT AWD (V6 with 235HP)version are positive and i concur completely. I live in Chicago and AWD is a must. No problems in snow thus far but it doesnt compare to the Durango i owned before this Journey. The interior has ridiculous amounts of hidden storage (under the seats, in the floor boards, 2 dashboards). GAS MPG has been consistent at 17city, 22 HWY."

2013 SXT

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "excellent acceleration/handling"

"Not familiar with car when I first saw it on lot. Researched it and test drove it and felt it was a good vehicle to consider. Bought SXT Model. Really happy with city/freeway combined fuel milage of about 24 being typical. Really nice acceleration and handling with smooth shifting. Nice backseat comfort for passengers and i like the drivers front seat room and comfort. Plenty of storage space in rear with third row seats being adequate for grandkid. Would never consider the 4 cyl. engine. Great on highway, plenty of acceleration and great handling. Sound system is great. Uconnect is really nice feature for hands free, works like a champ. Would consider this model again when buying a new car."

Top Safety Pick, Best Value, Roomiest in its class

By on Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pros: "Safety, Dependability, Roomyness, Value"

"FIrst of all, according to Consumer Reports, Chrysler is by far the most reliable American made brand, coming in far ahead of GM and Ford. Second of all, this car is one of the only mid-sized SUVs to be chosen as a IIHS Top Safety Pick. These two attributes are the most important ones when choosing a family car. Thirdly, this SUV is the roomiest, most spacious mid-sized SUV, another very important attribute for families. It's a very good SUV, and I got mine around 4K less than a similarly equipped Toyota, Honda, etc. Plus my Journey holds 7 people quite well whereas none of the others could come close. You could put an infant in some of the others 3rd row seat but that's about all. This SUV is best in class, very safe, very roomy, very dependable."

Rides and handles nice. We have owned it from new.

By on Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pros: "Great winter vehicle"

"We have been on two trips of over 1500 miles. This is an all wheel drive and is very reliable in the winter."

very nice vehicle

By on Friday, March 11, 2011

"Have been very pleased with journey, everyone crying about the brakes, changed my brakes at 24,000, did they ever consider their driving style. Got 27 mpg highway at 70mph on a road trip,and between 16 and 18 city, and we dont baby it, Wife loves this vehicle."

Almost a 10! NOT ONE RECALL! No 4 Cyl here !

By on Monday, August 4, 2014

Pros: "Get the 6Cyl for speed when U need it! I did! :)"

Cons: "Nothing major, just a few improvements needed!"

"Pros: The seats are quite comfortable for long trips, beyond comparison! No 'tin can' feeling on the road. The outer color of 'storm gray' reduces all glare in hot terrain. The size of the moon/sun roof is surprisingly large and controls are quiet. The tire traction and front-end suspension do their jobs very, very well, for a real smooth ride. The backup camera is a nice feature. The on screen hands-free calling and sound system controls are safe and handy while driving. The options for door locks and so much more adds value. The interior leather is high quality and stands up to 'people' quite nicely. The added carpet overlays are great preservers. The factory tires are much better quality than I expected. I love how the 'vehicle info' gives so much detailed information on the engine. I know what is going on for a change! Engine hours is a great reality check too. The Sirius XM is for FREE, year one!(It should be for two years on a new car)! I have had many vehicles in my lifetime, but this one is certainly the most versatile I have had. I like to buy things that take a truck, but I don't really need one 95% of the time with this vehicle. I'm still finding things out about my car. It is definitely equipped with some great features! Cons: The side view mirrors control needs updating with more range of motion for short people, so the rear mirror is not too far out of range to see properly. There needs to be larger/more AC vents. The driver seat needs to have truly separate positioning control patterns. (Why are all the visors so ridiculously little, and not just on this car?) The lumbar support is not 'as' adjustable as it should be. The carpeting on/in the cargo area is so thin, it is sadly very substandard. The speaker system could be much, much better for the price. Factory wipers are in need of higher quality and better functioning. The backup camera does not need to beep when vehicle has stopped. Dodge should provide new car buyers with a good leather conditioner for the seating,w/ gloves to maintain it. With the warming seats and steering wheel, the directions for maintaining these needs to be emphasized for warranty's sake. The windows could be tinted a bit darker, legally. If Dodge included a step ladder to reach the roof for cleaning, that would be awesome!"

Great crossover for the right price

By on Monday, March 31, 2014

Pros: "MPG, utility, comfort, performance, radio"

Cons: "Residual value"

"We have owned our 2012 Dodge Journey SXT for about 18 months and love it as much now and the day we bought it new. I don't know how anyone in the real world could ever give this a bad review. Professional auto writers are comparing it based on their vast experience with much more expensive crossovers and SUV's but don't use it for real world function for a family of 4 or 5. This holds the family and all of our stuff quite nicely. We got the V6 which I would recommend to everyone since they aren't that much more, hold their value so much better than the 4 cylinders, and the performance matches anything else I've drive. The road handling and feel is as nice as my Dodge Challenger. There is limited body roll in corners and it cruises smooth and quiet down the highway. Gas mileage is great and beats the EPA estimates in the city and on the highway. The standard features are adequate and we added the safety package with the larger screen radio and rear backup camera. With all Chrysler/Dodge products, you have to do your research and find a very good price with lots of rebates because these don't hold their value very well at all. So if you're someone who buys a car and then trades it in every two years then you'll want to avoid this one. We are about even with book value so finding the most rebates in essential. But if you own a car 5+ year this is the best value out there because it's a great price for a lot of car and what it's worth after 18 or 24 months doesn't really matter if you're not looking to sell it."

Incredible family car, great value

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "Best value by far in it's class. Beautiful, solid"

Cons: "none."

"This SUV has been dramatically improved in every way. It's roomy, very family friendly, and one of the only mid-sized SUVs with a usable third row seat. The seats can be arranged so all 7 of us have adequate leg space. Very quiet ride, solid feel, handles great, incredibly nice interior and electronic features. This is the best value in its class. Also a number one safety pick, so you will get a safety discount on your insurance while keeping your kids as safe as they can be."