2009 Dodge Journey

7.0

Based on 412 Ratings for the 2009 - 2017 models.

7.2/10
    7.0/10
    7.3/10
    7.2/10

Worst car ever.

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"I bought my 2010 journey in may of 2010 brand new. At first I loved it, but by 6 months in realized that it was just a terrible car. All the extra "perks" that you thought you'd love, you'll hate! The in dash cooling system, where your supposed to put drinks, not only doesn't keep them cool, but shakes them up as you drive. The third row seat is hard to get into, and basically impossible to when you have 2 car seats in the middle row. The third row as barely any leg room, so If you planned on adults or teens sitting back there, you can forget it. When you have your third row up, you have NO room behind it for storage of any type. When you turn your ac off in the front, it shuts off the back too. You have to have the front on for it to work any where else. Those are just some of the issues you will have if you get this car. some of the other issues I've had with my car are, my sun visors started changing colors from a tan to red, the breaks and rotors need to be replaced frequently (the breaks are actually too small for that size of a car, which causes them to heat up and warp the rotors), the DVD system stops working. When you insert a disk it freezes the system and you have to shut the car off and turn it back on to get your disk back. When your driving and apply the breaks you get a terrible shaking in your steering wheel and car. I would not reccomend this car to anyone. I talked to a cars sales man today, and he informed me that journeys are just a terrible car in general, and have one of the lowest trade in rates. I wish I would have had him as a cars sales man when I was buying the car, I definatly wouldn't have bought it knowing what I know now."

Freedom and Independence again.

By on Thursday, September 6, 2012

Pros: "Fun and easy to drive."

"I'll start by saying, I came and utilized this site when I was thinking about trading in my old car (06 Cobalt, 2 dr) and getting a new one. I did much research here and had my ducks in a row when I set out to speak to the only salesperson I factually dealt with. This site gave me the ability to have facts of what my car was worth and what the worth was on a new purchase. Thank you so much. I got every dollar I asked for, for my old car. Put some money down and actually drove off in my new 2012 Journey with it being worth more than I owe. After I got the Journey home I ordered the manual and read all the information I was given on the vehicle. I chose the smaller motor as it is the same motor my old car had and I loved it for me and my needs. Broke in the vehicle as they suggested and got the oil changed at 400 miles as with any new motor, molds making metal parts. To ease my mind of any metal pieces that would be worked off of corner pieces or whatever. Then I loaded that baby down and my guy and I, with my 65lb service dog headed for Colorado. On the road I physically learned the Auto Stick and have realized since the trip of the situations in which the Auto Stick should be used and I love it. I love the Cruise Control. And perhaps I should back up a bit and mention the word Disability. In which I am Disabled with an issue that causes me great pain and with the Cruise Control. I can squirm and wiggle to new positions in the drivers seat when I need to. Absolutely love love love it. The reason I traded my old car was, it hurt me and this Journey doesn't. I used the CD and it seems that it's too sensitive as when we'd go over a bump it changed to the next song. No big deal. My other car did that when it was new and it sorted itself out and I'm hoping this one will too. But I'm not that big on playing CD's so it's not an issue. The drivers seat with the Lumbar control is absolutely awesome. When one setting is beginning to annoy me. I simply move it's position and I'm good. Love love love it. I love the "in the floor" compartments. I love the console compartment and the center compartment. I can have my GPS and other valuables with me and there not in view. I read all the reviews about the third row of seats and I'm not sure I'd agree with all the complaints. I'm not sure I'll ever need to use the third row of seats as with my Service Animal. With the third row down. I can have folks in the second row and he is belted to one of the brackets in the rear, so in between him and the second row. I can have luggage or whatever. Worked out fantastically as we brought my mother back with us and had plenty of room. Of course I did come back with more than I went with. While we were there we purchased a soft "large" Highlander case that straps to the luggage racks on top and it didn't seem to slow me down one bit. Two nights on the way back we simply slept at a rest area and headed out again at sunlight. We were so loaded we couldn't recline much but we were comfortable. Any one that has driven from the East to Western Colorado knows you have to go over the Great Divide. And we had no problems what so ever. I watched the temp gauge. Stable just under half way. So I learned that spot is the normal. Which was factually under 200 degrees. When it was chilly out. The needle dropped slightly. Going over the mountains. I was able to set the Cruise and go with the flow. If I needed to slow. I used the minus on that and decreased my speed. And the same with increasing speeds. When it was relevant to be in a lower gear, I used the Auto Stick. In which it would seem to me that 3rd and 4th actually have two gears each. Plainly apparent as I could hear the differences in the motor and see it in the tach. I didn't push it too hard and I ran under 3000 RPM going over the mountains. And when I was on the flat lands the RPM stayed just above 2000. So the difference between this Journey and my old Cobalt are minimal with regard to that. As I, last year. Made the same trip in the Cobalt. I got 29 miles to the gallon for most of the trip and with the air on, going over the mountains. Got an average of 26 mpg. I am so happy with this vehicle. But it's so new you say. How do you know you'll still love it in 5 years, you say. Simple. I'm good on vehicles and know nothing about any other vehicles but GM for a lifetime. And I have become a Dodge fan now. As for my needs now. This just may be the last vehicle I ever own. If it were going to have issues. Something would have happened. Cars have always seemed to talk to me and this one shows me I'm going to be ok. Personal opinion on maintenance. When we got back from Colorado. My mileage was slightly over 4000. The book says to have the oil changed at 6000. And that's bonkers. For a lifetime I have changed the oil in whatever, every 3000 miles or 3 months, depending on garage kept or not. And I just had the oil changed at a Dealership and they put on the sticker that I should be back for an oil change in 3000 miles. You have to have common sense on what you need a vehicle to do for you're lifestyle. And as with any large ticket item. You've got to respect it. In which this one I respect. Everyone had a great trip and we were very comfortable. The climate control. eg fan, air conditioner. The different vents on top and the separate controls work great. My guy in the front passenger seat could be cooler. And my mother in the second row could be warmer. And the dog had air on him too. There are 4 ceiling vents. Common sense would tell you. Close the one next to mom while mom has her's open. And I shut one of the vents off back where the dog was and kept the one over the dog open. On bi-level. The air ran more efficiently that way. And my mom could change her's if she choose to or I could control them all. I'm really happy I found this vehicle. It doesn't hurt me. And I actually drove it off the lot with it being worth more than I owe. I love the way it drives. I love everything about it. And as with most vehicles. Between the drivers side window and the windshield there is a blind spot. Requiring one to lean forward on left curves. The molded bump that helps the glove box light shut off when you shut the glove box, is not tall enough. But there's some little felt circle's back in the jack compartment that I've found that I stuck on that bump and now the light goes off. Those are the only negative's I've found. I'm really happy that we have Kelly Blue Book. As they help you have your ducks in a row. And that helps you approach the salesperson with the attitude they dish to you, usually. Beyond my expectations. Thank you !"

Don't Buy Dodge Journey

By on Saturday, February 12, 2011

"I'll start with the positives because there are a few, but not enough to warrant a recommendation to buy. It drives nicely, it has a cool entertainment system. It's cute and has lots of fun features. It is quiet and has get up and go. Roomy, however, 7 people do not fit comfortably despite seating for 7. Now for the bad news. The gas mileage blows and is no where near what is stated. I average 12-13 city. My sister's Tahoe gets better gas mileage. Brakes - there is a serious issue with the brakes on this vehicle. You can google it and find countless stories. I had to replace my pads and rotors at 9900 miles - yes, you read that right, less than 10k miles. Engine - I had to have the rocker assemblies replaced because they were worn. This was also done at 9900 miles. Seems a little early in the game for that kind of wear. I too hear the werid grinding noise when turning left, not sure what it is. Electrical - the power window on the passenger side never functioned properly. It stops mid-way when rolling up and you have to let go of the window controler and press it over and over to get the window full rolled up. The dash board lights turn off and back on when turning off the wiper blades. Normal according to my dealership. Interior - I have lovely piece of trim that keeps falling off. The dealership has ordered a new one. This is my first non GM vehicle and definitely my last. Very sad I bought it and very scared what repairs await me in the future. DON'T BUY!"

Can't stand this Vehicle

By on Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pros: "nice looking"

Cons: "to many to mention."

"I have had nothing but problems since the Journey was 2 years old. Most problems are not covered by warranty and I will never own another Dodge. Rotors and Brakes replaced 3 times. Parts for this Vehicle are so expensive no matter what it is."

Worst Vehicle I Have Owned

By on Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"I bought my Journey in May 2008 and have had it in the shop several times since then. I had a horrible groaning noise when I turned the wheel in which the service man told me that, that is normal with new vehicles, WHAT!!! Then 5 months later I get a call that there has been a recall for something to do with the power steering. I have already had to have my brakes done and got another excuse and now I have to take it in for a recall involving the braking system, HMMM!! Now I am having other issues also and my vehicle is only 6 months old."

Great family car

By on Thursday, December 1, 2016

"great car, very comfortable and secure. the engine is a little small for the weight of the vehicle when accelerating but have a great displacement in highway. average 19mpg"

SAFE GREAT VEHICLE

By on Sunday, November 13, 2016

Pros: "roomy, drives well, good gas mileage for size"

Cons: "this model did not have driver power or lumbar"

"My husband had a head on collision in our 2013 Journey and by the grace of God he walked away. It was totaled but I feel had he been in a smaller or different SUV things wouldn't have turned out so well. I went and got a new 2016 Journey because of this when I was able to replace."

2015 Journey R/T Fully Loaded and Underrated

By on Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Pros: "Value, Loaded with Features, Bluetooth integration"

Cons: "Stylisticly, not the "coolest" looking car."

"This sleeper car is very much underrated. The value you get when adding in top of the line options makes for a great deal. V6 power with tuned suspension on the R/T drives fantastic. Good gas mileage for a V6. Ice cold air in extended desert conditions. Roomy and clever storage everywhere. Comfortable heated leather seats, roomy rear seat, dual zone A/C, premium sound system with the best hands free Uconnect system I have ever used. iPod integration is excellent. Paid $27K new, nothing else in it's class was anywhere close with all the bells and whistles."

Very good car

By on Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pros: "great price, good service and safe"

"Bought this car in January 2010 and was in an accident three months later to the tune of over $13,000. to repair. Side air bags deployed and in my opinion saved my life but did break 3 ribs. The only expense I've had was to replace tires at 40.000. Still have original battery. It has been a great vehicle. Excellent vehicle for the price."

2012 dodge journey 3.6L 6 spd auto

By on Sunday, April 7, 2013

"bought in november 2012 and love the overall performance and reliability. beat all other competitors in price and standard features. looked at mazda,toyota,ford and honda and they all came up short in amenities and priced way too high to justify wasting money on their over hyped ' value'. averaging 21.5 mpg after 3000 miles and it continues to improve. 8.4 sat radio/climate screen, LED exterior/interior lighting, 3rd row seating and ease of operation makes this vehicle a competent SUV."

Love it

By on Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Pros: "Has plenty of ports to charge personal devices"

Cons: "The AVP package lacks Bluetooth & Garage opener"

"So far I love my car! It handled like a dream runs quiet and rides great. Road trips are a awesome with this car."

overall a great car

By on Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Pros: "driveability and comfort"

Cons: "not the greatest milage, but not too bad either"

"This car was very well designed with convienience and comfort in mind. Everything about this car is very good."

Love this car!!!!

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

"This is a great car. Drives wonderful and gets good gas mileage."

the best vehicle i ever owned

By on Saturday, March 17, 2012

"This crossover is a very well designed vehicle. I was hit by a F350 work truck full size going between sixty and seventy mph directly into my drivers side door and although the vehicle is undriveable it held together very well. I was able to walk away from this crash with a couple scratches and bruised ribs when i clearly should have suffered much worse injuries.It is my opinion that the excellent design saved my life.I will recomend this vehicle to everyone and I will be buying another one as well.This is a very well built vehicle!!!!"

Do Not Buy The Journey!

By on Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pros: "Design is nice"

Cons: "Everything else!"

"Bought this car 5 months ago and I can't give the car away now! Bought it for $25,000 and now it's only worth about $16,000! The price-point was good, the quality was comparable to my previous car, and the reliability is excellent. The car is not comfortable at all, especially for those of you who commute or do long distance travelling (like my family). I had to literally stop every 2 hours just to get the crick out of my back from the seat. Space is adequate for a small family. Any more than 2 children and you are going to have problems. The third row seat is not useable at all. No one but toddlers can fit back there! If you are going to spend at least $25,000 for an SUV, go for the bigger ones like the Chevy Traverse or Dodge Durango. Steer clear from this mess!"

Terrible quality

By on Wednesday, October 6, 2010

"Brake pads wore out after 12000 miles, brakes squealed had to replace the front rotors local Dodge dealership handed me a paper from Dodge stating that the squealing was "normal vehicle noises" . Front end vibrates when braking at freeway speed. Sluggish motor for a 6 cylinder. Can't keep the front end aligned. Terrible leg room in back seats. Sorry I bought it. First Dodge I have owned at it will be the last one. Don't make my mistake...don't buy this car and be cautious buying a Dodge product"

I love my Journey!

By on Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great power, AWD is excellent"

Cons: "Tires cost a fortune"

"I own a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT AWD that has been nothing less than miraculous. I heard a lot of horror stories about the Journey but I got a price I couldn't pass up. The most "unreliable"vehicle now is approaching 100000 miles without any signs of stopping. I have had ZERO problems with it including the brakes. The 3.5 still runs like new and never uses a drop of oil. The A/C still blows Ice Cold and there is absolutely no squeeks or rattles to be heard. The AWD system is excellent, the week I bought it I drove through a nasty blizzard; when traffic came to a standstill, nobody could make it up a very steep hill. I attempted to climb the hill and the Journey kept digging and I was one of four cars to make it to the top (A Subaru, Grand Cherokee, and a Pacifica.) I average 22 mpg which I find acceptable. My new job will require me to do even more driving (60000 a year) and I will probably be buying a new car. The Journey is staying with me as well, I plan on keeping it until it dies. I will be buying a new Durango within the next 6 months. I've had very good luck with Chrysler products and they have won a customer for life."

For a brand new vehical under 25K, This has got to

By on Monday, June 6, 2016

Pros: "Fantastic Price and handels easily."

Cons: "No tow package or auto-start"

"Bought the Dodge Journey SXT because of the 7 person seating. It turns out it is one of the best "Compact" SUVs out there. Handling is a dream and seats are comfortable. With the satellite radio, makes the long drives effortless.Pulled an 1100 mile drive and did not hurt afterwards. Mileage is extremely under-rated. With the fuel economy center on the dash, I was easily making 28-32 mpg. Quick response and breaking. Down Side, No tow package available, Did not come with auto start package, No heated seats. All minor considering this is a "Under 25K" Vehicle."

Engine and Transmission

By on Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Pros: "Power, storage space, comfort"

Cons: "Transmission, shifting"

"I have the SXT model with the 3.6L V6. Generally, I like the car with the roominess, flexibility, comfort of the ride and ability to get in and out of tight spaces. While the engine has significant power, it also has significant torque steering when you get on the gas. As long as you know it's coming, you'll be OK. My complaint is about the transmission. It's the 6 speed and it is crazy, all over the place as to what gear you're in. You will be doing 30 mph and you're in 6th gear. It shifts rough, it shifts oddly and this is after having it into the dealer for computer updates and new software downloads. There is nothing smooth about the transmission of this car. Which leads me to worry about the long term reliability as my mileage increases."

2009 Journey SXT AWD

By on Friday, December 20, 2013

Pros: "SUV capabilities with low gas milage"

Cons: "not a true 7 seater"

"I bought my 2009 Dodge Journey with 31k miles and have driven about 30k miles with this vehicle since its purchase. So far, this vehicle has been great for me! From the reviews i have read, most people who have problems with the Journey use the base SE model (V4 with 173 HP). Most reviews for the SXT AWD (V6 with 235HP)version are positive and i concur completely. I live in Chicago and AWD is a must. No problems in snow thus far but it doesnt compare to the Durango i owned before this Journey. The interior has ridiculous amounts of hidden storage (under the seats, in the floor boards, 2 dashboards). GAS MPG has been consistent at 17city, 22 HWY."

2013 SXT

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "excellent acceleration/handling"

"Not familiar with car when I first saw it on lot. Researched it and test drove it and felt it was a good vehicle to consider. Bought SXT Model. Really happy with city/freeway combined fuel milage of about 24 being typical. Really nice acceleration and handling with smooth shifting. Nice backseat comfort for passengers and i like the drivers front seat room and comfort. Plenty of storage space in rear with third row seats being adequate for grandkid. Would never consider the 4 cyl. engine. Great on highway, plenty of acceleration and great handling. Sound system is great. Uconnect is really nice feature for hands free, works like a champ. Would consider this model again when buying a new car."

Top Safety Pick, Best Value, Roomiest in its class

By on Sunday, January 8, 2012

Pros: "Safety, Dependability, Roomyness, Value"

"FIrst of all, according to Consumer Reports, Chrysler is by far the most reliable American made brand, coming in far ahead of GM and Ford. Second of all, this car is one of the only mid-sized SUVs to be chosen as a IIHS Top Safety Pick. These two attributes are the most important ones when choosing a family car. Thirdly, this SUV is the roomiest, most spacious mid-sized SUV, another very important attribute for families. It's a very good SUV, and I got mine around 4K less than a similarly equipped Toyota, Honda, etc. Plus my Journey holds 7 people quite well whereas none of the others could come close. You could put an infant in some of the others 3rd row seat but that's about all. This SUV is best in class, very safe, very roomy, very dependable."

Rides and handles nice. We have owned it from new.

By on Thursday, September 15, 2011

Pros: "Great winter vehicle"

"We have been on two trips of over 1500 miles. This is an all wheel drive and is very reliable in the winter."

Not worth the trouble.

By on Saturday, April 23, 2011

"I currently own a 2009 Dodge Journey and I am so SORRY I eer purchased it. I have had more headaches than any new vehicle owner should have. THE BIGGEST PROBLEM OF ALL IS WITH THE BRAKES. I HAVE HAD THE BRAKES, PADS AND ROTORS, REPLACED 3 TIMES IN 11 MONTHS (MARCH 2010 TO FEB 2011). IT'S NOT MY DRIVING SKILLS,OR THE ROTORS AND PADS. I have been told it is caused by the wheels heating up and warping the Rotors. Every time the brakes start to go bad, it starts with the entire car vibrating while I'm driving down the Interstate; this increases when I try to hit the brakes. You can't imagine how horrible it feels to wonder if you will lose your life when you need to stop and your car won't respond. Oh, and.... The fact that the Dash melted in the sun should have been an indicator of things to come. I don't think the dealership telling me that the Hot FLORIDA SUN may be to blame. I should be able to live in "Tierra del Fuego" and not have that happen. The emergency peddle broke off within 6 months of ownership. The seats stain from anything falling on it; even water. They had to replace the entire seat because they could not get the stains out(I bought it with those stains, and the saleman promised they would clean it). Bottom line is that Dodge used poor material to manufacture this auto and now wants to sell it as the best thing since sliced bread. Not so much! I am not the only person having this problem. Check ALL the "Known Complaints for 2009 Dodge Journey" online, and you will see what I mean. Why won't Dodge do a RECALL? I am fling for The Lemon Law. My vehicle is not worth very much right now in your KBB. I Hate Dodge Journey!!!!!!!!!"

very nice vehicle

By on Friday, March 11, 2011

"Have been very pleased with journey, everyone crying about the brakes, changed my brakes at 24,000, did they ever consider their driving style. Got 27 mpg highway at 70mph on a road trip,and between 16 and 18 city, and we dont baby it, Wife loves this vehicle."