2009 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.0

Based on 322 Ratings for the 2008 - 2017 models.

7.4/10
    7.0/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10

Bad Idea

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Plenty of room for 6 people. Swivel n go."

Cons: "Cheaply build, low mpg, poor preformance."

"We have owned 2 previous used Dodge minivans before and were very pleased, and sadly this has been the worst. A/C went out at 18,000 luckily it was in warranty, the electric sliding doors have a mind of their own at times and the same goes for the transmission. It same engine as our 97 and 05 but it feels underpowered, I understand this is no sports car, but I would think it should be better than our 97 3.8L that achieved nearly 28mpg on the hwy with 4 passengers. while our 2009 3.8L rarely gets above 21mpg @ 65mph. The only thing that seems to be decent is the suspension and ride comfort otherwise its a waste of 30k. My advice, stay away from the 2007-2010 models. Go older like 2003-2006 or the newest 2011 with the better engine."

Great family van has all the bells and whistles!

By on Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Pros: "Almost everything!"

Cons: "Rattles"

"Great power very comfortable for a family of five excellent reliabilty and sporty look makes you think your not in a typical van! The only down sides are the handling is typical of a van and the overhead console with the two dvd screens has a tendency to rattle and im OCD so it drives me crazy others may not mind. Great van we have been many places and are planning a trip out west next year in it! Highly recommended:)"

Love to drive this vehicle on road trips

By on Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pros: "Mileage"

Cons: "Rattles here and there"

"Have owned several Dodge caravans and find them great people and item haulers"

By on Friday, March 12, 2010

LEMON

By on Tuesday, September 9, 2008

"Problems: brakes rotors sliding doors front end noise gear shifter bumper trim seats"

ok

By on Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Pros: "lots of room to haul stuff"

Cons: "replacement parts are way to expensive"

"it was ok untill I had to replace a y hose and I could not buy just the hose you have to buy the hose and a pipe and you do not need the pipe it was so stupid. I need a reliable car and this is not it."

By on Wednesday, May 13, 2009

don't buy it !!!!!!!!!

By on Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"Car recieved 04-09-2009;after 3 days and 100 miles "check engine light " is ON.........nothing more to say ????????"

Sorry I bought it - clunky and uncomfortable.

By on Friday, December 2, 2011

Pros: "Good value, mechanically reliable."

Cons: "Everything is hard to use."

"I had to quickly replace my totalled Taurus Station Wagon last year, and didn't spend much time comparison shopping because I needed a car and was also injured from the accident. Since this is such a popular car, I figured it would be serviceable after owning a station wagon. It was also a good value as a pre-owned car with moderate mileage. While it has been extremely mechanically reliable, this basic model is the most uncomfortable and inconvenient car I have ever owned. Not only does it not have power windows (which knew about and normally could live with), the manual windows are HARD to roll down, and I can't reach the passenger side front window handle unless I park and physically get out of the driver's seat. The rear hatch is only operable by unlocking with the key, so I always have to remove it from the ignition, or bring it outside to the car in order to place something in or remove something from the trunk. It's so inconvenient - what a pain. I haven't had a car without a hatch release button in my entire life - who would design it this way? The cargo door is also heavy and difficult to close, and removing or tipping the back seat to increase cargo room is a fullon wrestling match. I often just end up using the passenger area for cargo because the trunk is so difficult to deal with. Totally defeats the point of having a van or station wagon. The sliding doors on the sides are hard, too - a challenge for my kids to close by themselves. The passenger area has no areas for storage of small items that kids have. Their stuff is always falling out of the cupholders and rolling around the car. The climate control doesn't work well throughout the car. I have to roast or freeze in the front seat in order to provide a somewhat comfortable temperature for my rear seat passengers. The car is too long to have vents just in the dashboard. It does handle well in the snow, but sudden stopping on wet pavement is worse than I expected. That's probably a function of the bulk of the car. The paint and body are much more easily damaged than any car I've ever owned. I use this car the same way I used my station wagon, but that car never suffered huge deep scratches from shrub twigs at the edges of my driveway as this Grand Caravan does. In addition, when there was an obscene amount of snow last winter, there were tall snow banks everywhere, and I backed into them twice while turning in my driveway. At essentially 0 mph the snow banks caused fist-size dents in the rear bumper. By the way, the reason I backed into the banks is that there is absolutely no way to see what is directly behind the car below the level of the rear window. I understand this comes with owning a van, but I can't get over the difficulty of backing out of parking spaces, etc. It's the same length as the station wagon, but it feels like backing up a cruise ship with a blindfold on. I'm not entirely surprised by the insane amount of gas it eats, but it's REALLY bad. I mostly drive around in town, and estimate my mpg is about 10. I cannot wait to ditch this clunky, depressing shoebox for something more user friendly."

By on Thursday, March 12, 2009