2007 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 810 Ratings for the 2001 - 2007 models.

153,000 miles and still going !

By on Sunday, April 13, 2008

"I bought the 2001 Grand Caravan Sport with 3.3 liter flex fuel as a used vehicle in 02'. It had at the time 31,000 miles and was a retired rental vehicle sold at my local Dodge dealership. It has been and continues to be a suprisingly reliable vehicle. It always starts and has some pep in the engine still. Now the cons. 1) Transmission acted up out of nowhere at 95,000 miles; would not shift out of 2nd in "D". After troubleshooting by pulling the trouble codes off the odometer, it revealed the transmission computer was bad. That part is located in the driver's front wheel well ,behind the splash shield. The dealer said I would have to have that part programmed; never did and it shifts fine. At 128,000 miles, the engine misfired badly AFTER a tuneup ;plugs wires. The coil went bad and was not firing all six cylinders. Replaced the coil at a cost of $87.00 and all was well. A/C compressor locked up and made a horrendous sound, replaced that part at a cost of $140. Alternator died at 150,000 miles and bought a reman' at Advance Auto for $120. Driver's window will not roll down and testing revealed that is a bad motor. Now the Pros. 1) The transmission has held up well and still shifts well for the miles and age. I have never had it rebuilt ,just the trans. computer replaced. HOWEVER, most Chrysler owners may not be aware that these transmissions take ATF+4 transmission fluid; not Dexron IV or Mercon. Make sure you let your mechanic know ! It's available at most parts stores or at the local Dodge/Chrysler Jeep dealer. I've replaced the engine oil and filter every 3000 miles and the trans fluid and filter every 30,000 miles with of course ATF+4. I don't know it all, but I hope this review helps fellow Caravan owners on what to look out for and not getting ripped off for a new transmission when it just may be a simple $200 computer ! Overall, still runs great, no headgasket problems or overheating, shifts well and took it to So.Cal. from Texas and back without a problem. Still averages 17 MPG around town and 25 MPG on the highway !"

Easy to repair if you are a "Shade Tree" mechanic.

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Comfort, easy to repair (if you have a clue)"

Cons: "RUST issues in fender wells and rocker panels"

"I've owned Caravan's, Voyager's and a Town and Country since 1984. I have only one thing to say bad about the 2001-2007 model years... RUST! If you get one with clean rocker panels in the "salt belt" then it's a rare bird. Better undercoat it quick to keep it that way... The 1996-2000 years were much better about rust and you will likely find older ones with better body integrity then the newer, sad to say. Here's a trick that helped me get 314,098 miles out of an all wheel drive 1992 version and over 200,000 miles on 5 more up to a 2005 model; Instead of using a Fram PH-16 oil filter (or equivalent), try using a PH-8A Filter instead, has twice the filter area and keeps the oil MUCH cleaner, use FULL synthetic oil too. Happy motoring! 3.3 Liter motor is indestructible if taken care of..."

Definantly Worth It...

By on Sunday, January 11, 2015

"I bought this vehicle brand new in '03 and has been totally reliable throughout the 11 years I have it so far. I would recommend this car to anyone. I purchased it because I have a family of 4 and my brother's old Ford truck wasn't going to work. Now, me and my son use it as the 'Fishmobile' and keep all of our fishing supplies in there, such as fishing poles and tackle and still remains very reliable, even to have 330,000 miles on it."

WORST YEAR FOR GR CARAVAN

By on Saturday, December 27, 2008

"I love the stow and go feature and the styling of the van but it has the worst reliability. Check the internet and I am not alone in these problems. The rack and pinion steering system has been replaced in my van 4 times. Dodge has finally redesigned the part and it seems to be working. In the spring of last year there was a 15,000 part backorder of rack and pinions because it had failed on so many vehicles. Also the Body Control module fails at about 40,000 miles causing failure of the power locks just after the warranty expires. Beware and check the internet and you will see the numerouse complaints on the 2005 Grand Caravan."

Excellent minivan

By on Sunday, April 20, 2014

Pros: "Roomy Comfortable, Versitile, Economical"

Cons: "The speedo only goes up to 120."

Great looking car, always in style.

"I purchased this vehicle new. It is a great car. Smooth ride powerful yet very economical 3.8 L v6 Engine has great power for passing and is silky smooth and quiet at cruise. I regularly travel to the southern USA and cruise at 75 to 80 mph speeds fully loaded with ease. My SXT has 4 wheel disk brakes and the responsive handling and strong brakes saved me from a serious collision, when another car cut across the road right in front of me! I do keep the car hand washed and waxed, the original paint is 10 years old and still looks beautiful. The seats are very comfortable and the interior can perform a multitude of functions, Hauling kids, or dogs, or cargo or any combination is a snap!"

Great looking car, always in style.