1998 Dodge Grand Caravan Passenger

7.6

Based on 373 Ratings for the 1996 - 2000 models.

1998 SE with 159,000 miles

By on Sunday, July 1, 2012

"My Dad and I bought this van while I was living with, and caring for him. He needed something to put his electric scooter in. He had a power lift put in the back which drew power from the car's battery. We got it used in 2004 for about $8000. He has passed away and now the vehicle is mine. I have used it to transport youth groups, the disabled women I work with and my adult children and their babies. The only problem I ever had with this car was the radiator and that cost me all of $300 to repair. Never had a problem at all with the transmission or engine. I was surprised as I was not very excited about American made vehicles. I am now passing the car on to one of my daughters and her husband so they can save money until they can another one. I, myself will be getting another used one as well. It has given me good service for many years and I am very pleased with it."

Dependable

By on Sunday, August 21, 2011

"Bought this van new in June 1999 and it has been nothing but dependable. The most we have done for repairs have been with the suspension. The only complaint we have with the van, especially as it ages (although it has been aging well!), is that with the 3.3L engine, it doesn't seem to have enough "oomph" sometimes. Overall, we love it and it has been worth every penny we paid. Even with 161,000 miles, it is still going strong and with the exception of a few rust spots starting, it looks nice, too. The interior has held up especially well...and it had a work-out hauling three kids, friends, teammates, etc. over the years. All of the original equipment - AC, power windows, power seats, etc. still works as well as the day we bought it."

By on Sunday, June 20, 2010

"We bought this car new in 1999. 275,000 miles later we are still driving it. We have had to do few repairs: water pump, alternator and vacuum booster on the power brakes. We will have to fix the air conditioner this summer but that is it. We have used Mobil 1 for motor oil from the begining and changed the transmission fluid as prescribed. Don't know if it helped but it could have. Acquisition costs are down to 7 cents a mile! No complaints."

Good overall value

By on Friday, October 26, 2007

"Second Caravan, had a 91 first with the transmission from hades. The 96 is not quite as comfortable with the sport seating, but runs very well at 160k miles. No major issues with transmission or engine. 3.3ltr engine is a bit under powered for living in the mountains, but mileage is solid 21mpg. My 11 ft rowboat fits in the back with the seats out, plus washers, dryers, refrigerators, plywood, camping. Does it all! Brake jobs and tuneups are expensive, but the van is decent value overall. I would buy another one, but the new styling does not appeal to me at all. The dashboard in the newer models reminds me of a tombstone, and the seats are hard and unforgiving."

An excellent family vehicle

By on Saturday, October 20, 2007

"I bught mine with 100,002 mi. two months ago and I haven't had any problems with it since. I only had to change the brakes; which was really expensive ($749) Its really comfortable and the kids love it, specially after getting them a portable double screen DVD player at Bes Buy. You can't hear the engine running, it does over 30mpg on the highway and over 23mg in the city. Over all, this is AN EXCELLENT FAMILY VEHICLE."

Don't skimp on the options

By on Sunday, July 1, 2007

"I've been driving my Caravan for over a month now, and I am really sorry I settled for the smaller V-6 engine. Driving conservatively, I got 14.5 MPG in city driving in warm weather with the air conditioning on. Performance is somewhere between sluggish and adequate. We have a more basic model with a manual lift gate and sliding doors. I wouldn't do that again. On the plus side, we have been pleasantly surprised by the maneuverability for a large vehicle in a tight spot, and the Stow 'n Go seating is a major plus for versatility. We'd consider buying another one, but only if it's loaded with power accessories, putting it at the higher end of the price range."

Incredibly reliable vehicle.

By on Monday, March 13, 2017

Pros: "Great utility, drivability, comfort and value."

Cons: "Headlights and brakes suck."

"I purchased this minivan in June 1997 new and I had been eyeing this vans from 1989 after my previous purchase of a 1987 Plymouth Reliant SE station wagon, when I did I had a discount from the manufacturer (the company I worked for was owned by Chrysler) and the dealership was located across the street from the apartment complex that I lived on, after my purchase everything has been better than everybody thought, my van has now 261.000 miles, and I have never ever opened the engine, it doesnt burn any oil, had one transmission overhauled when it turned 180000 miles (I was climbing the bridge in Baton Rouge La. coming from Miami, Fl. when the tranny lost 3rd and 4th gears, drove it in 2nd gear for 9 hrs home in Texas). This van is still driven today by my youngest daughter as her daily to college and work. My secret to engine longevity, Mobil One, my secret for my transmission longevity, change the transmission fluids and filter every 2 yrs or 24000 miles. I have replaced 1 alternator,1 power steering pump,1 water pump,1 cooling fan assembly (with both fans),1 radiator,3 front bearing hubs assemblies, 1 rear rear brake cylinder,1 brake master cylinder,2 front brake calipers among few other things like shocks,struts,brake pads,shoes and rotors, and I have done most of the work myself. You have a lot of cargo/passenger flexibility, very nimble and maneuverable for such a big vehicle and powerful enough with the 3.3L engine, decent mileage 16-24mpg."

My best Vechile Purchase Ever

By on Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pros: "reliablity, value"

"The reason I'm on here looking is I was involved in an accendent, it was not my fault, and they will probably total my van. I love this thing. I have owned many cars in my life, and this van has by far been the best most reliable vechile I've ever owned. I hope they fix it, and I don't have to go car shoping, because I don't want to."

runs well,holds our family of seven,

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

I own this car

Pros: "price,good for family of 7. easy to drive"

"INterior and exterior are in good shape. Drives well and is very reliable. I would sell it to a friend. It is a 1999 Dodge caravan. What is it worth"

Love this van! Comfort, convenience, best vehicle!

By on Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pros: "typically 20 miles to the gallon, seats 7 comfortably."

Cons: "Can't think of any."

"Bought our 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan in Jan 2003 with 54K miles, it now has 223,000 miles and just keeps going. Granted, we have taken care of it. In the past 10 years we have replaced the serpentine belt 2x (less than $100 each time), the drivers side power window mechanism once and replaced the transmission about 10,000 miles ago. It has plenty of power, love that there are 2 sliding doors on both sides and the dual air is excellent. One of these days the engine may go, but we will replace it and keep the car. Body style has stayed in style, the access is great for us 50 aged folks and our 10 year old Labrador dog. Plenty of space"