2002 Dodge Durango

8.1

Based on 983 Ratings for the 1998 - 2003 models.

Great SUV

By on Thursday, March 25, 2010

"Over 157K and still runs and drives like new. I get 18 MPG not bad for such a big truck. My wife loves to steal it from me every chance she gets and she has a new car. No problems in 10 years. Just regular upkeep."

Great idea, not so great follow through

By on Sunday, January 22, 2012

Pros: "relatively low purchase price, intuitive layout"

Cons: "low mpg, wide A-pillars, computer issues"

"The 1999 Durango seems great on the surface, but there are some issues underneath. The good: It is a good size being larger than a FourRunner or Cherokee and smaller than a Suburban or Tahoe. The interior design is nice with three row seating, generous cup holders, and an intuitive layout. The third row seat disappears leaving a large, flat load area. There is plenty of power from the 5.9l V8. The transfer case has worked flawlessly. The weight balance is good -- the Durango can go places in 2WD that required 4WD from a previously owned Tacoma. The bad: It gets terrible gas mileage. A buddy's Suburban, which is much larger, gets 4-5 mpg better than the Durango no matter what we are doing. The engine control computer is likely to fail. If you get a "no bus" error message, check the computer. Make sure you turn off the OD when towing heavy loads or you will burn up the OD and have to rebuild the transmission. The A pillars are very wide resulting in a rather large forward blind spots, especially on the drivers side. All things considered, it hasn't been bad but it hasn't been great either. If it got better gas mileage, my feelings might be a little different, but if I had it to do over again, I would have bought a Tahoe or Suburban or Yukon."

Good SUV

By on Tuesday, September 23, 2008

"I bought this SUV used with 90,000 miles on it. It is a 2001 SLT 5.9 4x4. For the engine size/4x4 status/towing it did fair with MPG. I was getting 12/15 until I did a full tuneup, K&N air filter, New Monroe Sensitrac shocks, Tornado for air intake. Then I was getting 16.9-18 mpg on the highway. 13 in the city. I have a job that requires me to travel, towing a 18 ft travel trailer for living while on the road, needing 4x4 for snow and living in elevation. Travel nursing has its benefits. I bought this in TN, took it to Texas for 2 months, Arizona 6 months, Colorado 2 months, NM 3 months. I have put 28,000 miles on it now, about $1000 in maintenance/parts that I replaced myself. It has enough power to tow without a problem (7,500lbs). Trailer was 3,000 lbs so I did not even know it was back there most of the time. Had a problem with water heater, replaced it. I tyically drive 85 mph on highway and while towing 70mph. While towing on the highway I got 13 mpg. Its a good little SUV, but with gas prices going from $4.50 per gallon its time to get something more efficient but with all the great qualities. Xterra has grabbed my attention off road version. All and all its a good little SUV, but you have to sacrifice the MPG for the big V8. I thought a bigger trailer was in my future so that is why I bought this car. My 2 cents. Hope it helps."

Right SUV for the Right Price

By on Thursday, January 17, 2008

"As a mom of 2 I love this SUV. It is high up but not so high I feel like I need a step ladder to get in. I feel safe knowing my boys are up higher than a sedan or even a van. It has AC in the rear which is awesome for my kids and the 3rd row is easy put up or down, even for me. When the 3rd row is down I have tons of space for strollers, blankets and whatever else I toss back there. I have had NO mechanical problems and it has never even sputtered or acted like it was going to breakdown which is HUGE with me. The last thing I want is to be stuck on the side of the road with two kids waiting for a tow truck. The best thing about this SUV is that we have a boat and this puppy can tow like it is nothing. We can all sit comfortably, run the AC and tow our boat and it does not hurt our gas milage to tow either. Good safe ride that my husband likes to drive also."

It can wheel! 2003 SLT+

By on Tuesday, August 7, 2007

"I've rock crawled it, climbed steep trails in it, tromped through deep snow, towed cars and boats, drove it 100 mph, bought it new and have had not one problem. 97000 miles and runs like new."