2012 Dodge Charger

Based on 164 Ratings for the 2011 - 2018 models.

This is the One.

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Pros: "Chassis, comfort, performance, value."

Cons: "18" wheels get lost; 20's sacrifice comfort."

"Ask my wife; I am always in the market for a new car. It was a hobby. No more. I've had 2 GTO's, a G8 GT, Sonata 2.0t, Genesis (Coupe and Sedan), Sierra Quad Cab... the list goes on. You get the idea. The 2012 Charger SXT is the best car I have ever owned. (Hint: add a Cold Air Intake to the V6. It will help you get over not having a V8 right around 5700rpm. The snarl is intoxicating.) Be patient, look for good deals, and you can take an SXT home for under $25k. It devours interstates for lunch. 70mph = 1500rpm. The chassis is solid. It handles well for such a large car. It has all the features you want; none of the stuff you don't. "Base" stereo with the 8.4 touchscreen is Alpine. Nice! The transmission anticipates your next move. HUGE on the inside, sexy on the outside. If the styling is too much... go with a 300. I'll say this: the car begs for a lumpy torque-monster V8. But unless you live stoplight-to-stoplight, the overachieving Pentastar V6 will take you from 0-60 in well under 7 seconds while sipping regular unleaded. The 8-speed vs. the 5-speed for the Hemi closes the desirability gap between the two considerably."

Fine design, fine car, but not perfect.

By on Saturday, January 16, 2016

Pros: "Excellent value. Best car on the market."

Cons: "Warranty is worthless if the Mfr won't honor it."

"3rd Charger. Second with a Hemi. I love the car in every way, except the most important one: I purchased it new, and a few weeks after purchase, the Hemi motor started making ominous sounds. After many trips to the dealership without repair (they all do that and it's just a charcteristic), I got fed up. Long story short, the Mfr is refusing to stand behind their product, and they'll pay for it. Do not take no for an answer from the dealership or the Mfr. Follow the maintenance recommendations to a tee, do not modify anything, and make them repair it."

Highway Star

By on Friday, December 18, 2015

Pros: "Ride, Handling, Powertrain, Lights, Interior"

Cons: "Brakes could use more initial bite"

"I have a 2015 Charger Rallye AWD. It's a fun, practical and very comfortable car. It is remarkably quiet on the highway and it can cover a lot of ground with quick effortless grace. The excellent and refined chassis and suspension give you a firm supple ride and the car feels incredibly well planted to the pavement. The slick AWD system engages at any speed if you lose traction, if the temperature gets below 40 deg. or if you turn the wipers on. The Rallye also has a Sport Mode that engages the AWD, changes the shift points and firms up the steering. Unlike a lot of cars, Sport Mode actually changes the character of the car. The Rallye model also has a slightly modified intake and "real" dual exhaust with twin cats and mufflers. This bumps the HP to 300. I'm averaging 27 mpg and I consider that pretty good for a big heavy car with good performance. Some of this performance has to do with the overall excellent 8 speed transmission that makes the most of the V6 power curve and pretty much disappears when you drive normally. The Charger offers what I want from a car. It can comfortably carry my family and my stuff. It effortlessly goes where I point it regardless of the weather. It handles well, rides nice and get's with the program when I step on the gas. The fact that it turns heads is secondary but nice."

My Second Dodge Charger, buying a 3rd soon!

By on Saturday, February 8, 2014

Pros: "great looks, fun to drive, SAFE TO DRIVE!"

Cons: "I think the digital guage needs redesigned"

"I leased a 2008 Charger SE and loved it! At 260 HP I thought it was under powered, so when I bought my 2012 Charger SE and nearly 300 HP (PITCH BLACK WITH BLACK INTERIOR, 8 SPEED TRANS AND WING AND WHEEL OPTION) I had the best car I'd ever owned ( I'm 60). Best mpg I ever got was 34! My only complaint is that the base seat was too soft for longer trips. In Jan of 2014 a driver ran a stop sign on a rural road and I T-boned him. Both air bags deployed and most important to me, the air bag that came out the lower dash at my knees saved my knees and likely broken bones. I had lots of bruises and a broken rib - but no cuts. My car was totaled. Thank God I was in big, well made car! I plan to buy an AWD Charger soon - either SXT or RT! Love the Dodge Charger!"

2013 Charger SRT

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "instant power, extremely fast, excellent features"

Cons: "Would be nice to install apps to sound system"

"This is one awesome ride. The performance is breath taking, the build quality is excellent, the sound system is amazing. The handling is pretty amazing as well. The power is literally instant on. On other cars I have owned there is a small gap of time from throttle press, but not on the SRT. This car will be accelerating "before" my brain has even figured out that I stepped on the gas pedal. It's really hard to knock a vehicle that can run down M5's and Maserati's on the highway and costs around $50K. 110mph in this car feel like 50 in a normal car, it's just that planted and solid. The Harmon Kardon sound system with surround sound is really amazing. I have owned some vehicles with nice sound systems, but nothing like this. The closest thing I can think of is the Bose system in some GM vehicles, but's honestly it's not as good as the Harmon Kardon in the Charger. It's actually hard to drive this car with restraint. I try and use the adaptive cruise control, which is also my favorite feature of this vehicle, and there is only so long one can drive and be passed up in this car with so much power under the hood. It screams to be released. Passing on the highway is extremely simple. Within a few seconds (if even that) I can out accelerate 99.9% of all cars and pass. This is a good in town cruiser as long as you don't mind paying for the gas station stops. 14mpg in the city is about right. 23mpg on the high way is about right as well, as long as I use the cruise control and keep the cruise set at or a little under 65. But running for a long time on cruise control is a little like trying to feed jelly beans to a starving lion. Sooner or later, the lion will overcome his hunger and gorge. As much as this "can be" a practical car, it definitely wants to be driven. I do look forward to taking the SRT track day and seeing how this car can run on the race track. Owning this car, even for just a short period of time has raised my interest in being able to take a car like this and drive it to the local race track, just to let the lion out to stretch his legs. This is not my first "fast car" but no other car has sparked that interest in track driving like the SRT and I have also owned Corvettes and Lotus as well. I like the idea of real functioning hood scoops and brake vents. They are just not fake vents in this car, they are real and serve a purpose. It gives the car the exotic look since it has real functioning equipment. The interior is really nice with aluminum and billet replacing plastic. The dash trim wasn't stolen from another car, it was purpose built for the SRT and I can feel the quality. If you buy one, buy it with the red leather and thank me later. That being said I do have a few small recommendations to buyers and the design team at SRT: The car needs to be a bit louder, this is after all a car that run in the same pack with super cars and it needs to sound like one not just at wide open throttle. At the very least give a prospective buyer the ability to "opt in" for a slightly louder exhaust note. A better selection of colors would be nice as well. Muscle cars were known for outlandish colors and stripes and the charger is no different. I would have love to bought a super bee, but most on dealer lots are fairly stripped down and lack the nice sound system of the full blown SRT model. It would be nice if the flag ship product of Chrysler would allow installing apps such as Pandora. SRT is a high performance premium brand and it needs to be on the bleeding edge to command it's price. One last small item is not being able to add the mopar appearance package, which can be added to other models. Luckily I had the dealer buy it separately and then install it. This package includes lighted door sills, interior lighting effects, billet pedals for the floor and a beefy mopar t-handle shifter to replace the teeny leather one that came in the car. That package added the finishing touches to a car that was already awesome in it's own right. As long as one does not mind the higher insurance premiums on this car, or the slightly higher price at the pump, it's definitely a super car bargain. I always wondered what it would be like to own a maserati quattroporte or an aston martin rapide, and even though I own neither I can still say that I understand what it would be like to own either. The Charger really is that good."