2012 Chevrolet Volt

Based on 224 Ratings for the 2011 - 2015 models.

The most amazingly economical car I've ever owned

By on Monday, November 9, 2015

Pros: "Fun, economical, no range anxiety ever"

Cons: "would have liked a better battery range"

"What can I say - my 2012 Volt is the best car I've ever owned, foreign or domestic. It's also the most economical car I've ever owned - period. Comfortable, fun to drive, and cheap to keep. After 133K miles my total maintenance runs to 3 oil changes, one engine air filter, one set of new tires and tire rotations. Period. And I've saved over 3,800 gallons of gas in the meantime. Add it up - while expensive to buy (I bought early), it will cost far less than almost any other car by the time I reach 5 years of ownership. What? Battery worries? Sorry, the battery is just as strong today as the day I bought it 3-1/2 years ago. Not sure what to more to say except this car is a keeper (although the new Gen 2 Volt's are sure tempting!) Hmmm, maybe it's worth noting that I'm a super commuter and make a round trip to work of 186 miles every day on an average of 1.9 gallons of gas. Around town driving seldom uses any gas at all. Totally awesome. One last note though - avoid use of Sport Mode when the CHP are around - it's hard to behave when you're having fun."

Great car with great design

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Pros: "great long term money saver"

Cons: "overly complicated radio nav system"

"I love the car. It has saved us a lot of money at the gas pump. We get to commute on electric only, but use some gas at times. We pay about 10 to 20 bucks a month at the pump. I have two complaints, first the radio/navigation area is very complicated. I have to take my eyes off the road to make sure I have pushed the correct button. I know this is minor but it really irks me. Secondly (I think) it should have air conditioned seats. It has heated seats and it has good A/C but it should have had seats with built in A/C. I know it is also minor but again it would have made traveling better when we do travel. The only other thing I will have to comment on which is out of anyones control is the depreciation. It has gone down in value faster than we have paid off the note, so it could have long term problems if we decide to resell. Overall its a very good car and would buy it again."

Keep Forgetting Where Gas Goes

By on Monday, September 5, 2016

Pros: "Gas mileage, cheap to operate, decent performance"

Cons: "Price, range could be better"

"I drive my Volt mostly around the city except for a longer trip once or twice a month. I don't care for the little buttons in the interior panel which has been solved better in the latest 2017 model. I have 15,000 miles on the car, 102 mpg lifetime and I'm happy to have bought a Chevy again. I was pleased that the car is quite drivable in cold Boston winters with very little apparent other than the gas motor running more often overall."

Best vehicle ever owned. High quality

By on Saturday, December 26, 2015

Pros: "Exceptional quality performs as expected"

Cons: "Resale, likely due to unsustailable low gas prices"

"Volt has performed better than expected. Average 42 miles electric year round on single charge. Comforatble to drive, handles like a sports car."

Most fun driving ever!

By on Sunday, August 25, 2013

Pros: "quick, green, handling"

Cons: "could use a bit more soft materials in interior"

"Almost looked past the Volt, as have never been a GM fan- but wanted great mpg and needed it to be quick/smooth- not a Prius type hybrid boring drive. Volt is the best ever- a mini-Tesla. Love the fact it still runs as an electric car even when battery is depleted and gas engine runs battery generator. Smoothest, most quiet car ever and is not lathargic like most hybrids. Test drive one and you will be sold."

Best car I have owned yet

By on Sunday, September 8, 2013

Pros: "Low center of gravity, Torque, EREV"

Cons: "Visibility, Center console in rear seats"

"I've owned this car for 11 months and put 8500 miles on it and must say it is the best car I've owned so far. I've owned Audi, BMW, Chevy, SAAB, VW (in order; from most recent through first car). This car is a game changer. It handles well, is a blast to drive (plenty of torque) and is incredibly efficient (my lifetime MPG is 90+ after two big road trips using gas and considering my "lead foot"). I absolutely love it."

Outstanding Vehicle!!

By on Saturday, September 28, 2013

Pros: "Low operating cost, smooth ride, good nav/radio."

Cons: "initial cost."

"This car has the amenities you need, like GPS, link to IPhone, remote control apps for your phone, park assist, heated seats, XM radio, and backup camera. The cup holders, 12V plugs, and storage spots are well thought out for common devices. While only having 2 back seats, they are as comfortable as the front and I often plug in to the 12v and work in the back seat on road trips with others driving. The car is smooth and quiet at all speeds. While fairly expensive up front, the operating cost around the city on electric, where you would ordinarily get your worst gas mileage, is good if you drive conservatively. The same holds true on the highway; it gets good mileage 43-53mpg on road trips. Using the cruise control and drive steadily helps; even while on trips through the mountains in WV. Most of the time we run it on electric around town are fill up ever 1.5-2 months."

A fantastic vehicle; only uses gasoline when driv

By on Sunday, July 17, 2016

"Fantastic vehicle; very environmentally friendly. Engineering excellent for an electric vehicle; in cold weather gas engine starts for only couple minutes to warm batteries, which gets around the inherent limitation of cold weather on all electric vehicles. Heated seats great for winter time comfort without using as much battery power. Would recommend it to everyone."

Everyone should own one. 28000 miles and never any

By on Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Pros: "160 mpg, uses 4amps for 10 hours to charge"

"used value not so good, so go buy one"

First 1000 miles

By on Wednesday, April 20, 2011

"So far the Volt has exceeded our expectations. We have used just 1.18 gallons of gas in the first 1000 miles. If you factor in the cost of electricity we are still close to 200 mpg. The car has run flawlessly thus far, no bugs or software glitches. The ride is smooth and very quiet, like driving on a cloud. GM is very attentive to the Volt owners and has assigned a Volt Advisor who checks in monthly to be sure everything is OK and that there are no questions. They solicit feedback as well for changes/improvements. Probably more than most new vehicles, the Volt's value will depend upon your driving style and the range you drive in. Keeping it charged and in EV mode will bring the best return value. If overall cost is your main concern, a used car or more typical high MPG compact is probably a better choice. But if you want to drive the most interesting and technically advanced vehicle available, try the Volt. We love it!"

I love this car - but..

By on Sunday, July 14, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, Forget Gas, Stylish"

Cons: "Low Profile, Poor Heating, Expensive"

"I've been driving the volt now for about a year, and since I live in Montana I thought I'd answer questions I constantly get about the battery in cold weather. I've driven the Volt in temperatures as cold as -20 F and as warm as 99 F. You do lose battery range in the cold weather, but the company is pretty up front about this. On a normal day 50-80 degrees, I get a range of about 36 miles off of the battery before switching to gas. On the coldest days, that range went down to about 20. On the days where the temp is hitting around 100 I see a reduction down to around 32-30. The cooling system is great, but the heating leaves much to be desired. Also, the car is VERY low to the ground. Which is fine for city driving, but here in Montucky the roads tend to be less than perfect and no matter how carefully I drive the plastic panel they put on the front end is always scrapping. It turns heads and makes me feel like a teen again when people stare. This car is EXPENSIVE; but I'm saving around 100 bucks a month on gas, and that more or less evens out my payments after you consider the tax breaks. Those facts/complains aside: I love the Volt, and I'm not sure how I'll ever go back to driving any other car. I never got to the gas station anymore unless I'm traveling long distance, and even then the gas mileage is pretty good. It handles very well, and the interior makes me feel like I'm driving around an Ipod."

Best Car I have ever owned!

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Economical, fun to drive, great ride"

Cons: "Would like another 20 miles of EV range."

"I have owned countless cars over the years and the Volt is the best I've owned regardless of price. In fact, I traded a 7 series BMW for this car and haven't missed it for a minute. The ride is smooth and silent. Handling is superb which I would credit to the low center of gravity provided by the 450 lb battery which runs down the center of the car. Forget the EPA rating nonesense! I average over 100+ mpg with a 140 mile round trip daily commute. If you check out the VoltDC app, you can look at what folks are getting all over the country. Most get even better mpg than I do since I end up using about 1 gal of gas a day. It has also been absolutely reliable, with no dealer visits in the over 22k miles other than tire rotations every 7500 miles (which were included in my maintenance warranty). I still have over 45% oil life left before I will need an oil change. This car is a no-brainer!"

Great car BAD PRESS!

By on Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Pros: "Drives and looks great! Suede seats. Stats onsta"

Cons: "Can't think of one."

"I have been looking at the Volt for the past four years. The thing that concerned me was the EPA 38EV mile rating. Recently I checked it out on Volt Stats, these are real world Volt stats, and they are impressive. Some of the people are at 98.9% EV miles. I said I don’t want to be a nut; I want to enjoy the car. Well folds we purchased 2014 Volt Saturday, and we have now put 223 miles on it in less than three days, and 217 are EV miles that is equals 97% EV miles. I drove the car to Costco with my wife on Saturday, and got 51 EV miles on a charge. The roundtrip was 56 miles, so 90% of my drive was EV miles. I drive a Corvette, and the Silverado like it is a Corvette, so I am not considered a conservative driver. My point is you don’t have to be and ultra conservative driver to easily beat the EPA estimate or most driver from the light. The instant torque at zero rpm is wonderful! The dealer filled the tank, which I thought was humorous. We didn’t buy the car to put gas in it; we have a Corvette that burns gas and rubber very well. My wife didn’t inform me that she could charge at work, until we were well into the purchasing the car. We bought the car, because we plan to drive it a lot! We have a Corvette, and Silverado. The Corvette has had zero miles put on it since we got the Volt home, and the Silverado 10 miles. We will use them for their intended purposes fun, and work. We live out of the city, and plum nearly out of the country. The road off the highway is awful! It is like and old washing rub board. The Volt rides better than the Silverado that has a much longer wheelbase, and is quitter. You can’t even tell it is same road. I was very impressed. It has the brownstone color, that doesn’t show dirt. We are lot more impressed owning the car, than the test drive. There is nothing like it for the money!"

My favorit car

By on Thursday, August 28, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive and one time tax credit"

Cons: "no spare tire small air comprssor to fix flat"

"I love this car! 68 mpg lifetime. 142 mpg on this last tank of gas. My electric bill did not go through the roof. It costs about $1 a charge. Most of my driving can be done in electric but when I run out of electric car goes seamlessly into gas mode. On a trip last summer when I could not charge I still got 40mpg driving at highway speeds of 75mph using the AC. When lease is up I will be leasing another."

Glad I waited and glad I bought it

By on Tuesday, March 12, 2013

"I was interested in this car when I first heard about the concept in about 2006 or so. When it was time to replace my 1996 Chevy Cavalier 165,000 miles the Volt was not available so I went with the Honda Civic hybrid. I was satisfied with the car and unlike some averaged 47 miles per gallon with it. When the 2013 Volt came out with the "Hold" feature I thought I would take a look since my commute is 42 miles round trip with a two mile long 10% grade hill. The version I picked had a sticker price of almost $42000. Wow, but with the $7500 federal rebate, $3500 state rebate, about $3000 off the sticker price, $2000 cash back from Chevy, and 0% financing the deal was tough to pass up. $26000 is not that much more than a similar equipped Camery and the like. The car drives great. So far the best range I have gotten is 50 miles on days with the high temperature around 60F and the worst range has been 35 miles with high temperature around 20F. The total energy usage (gas + electricity) so far has been between $40 per month in November to $50 in January traveling about 1,000 per month. Yes it might not break even for a very long time compared a Honda Fit but these cars really can't compare. Saying the Volt will not make up the price difference over a $15000 car might be true but it's is not a $15000 car."

Smooth ride

By on Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Pros: "Very well built"

Cons: "Although good enough, could be little more roomy."

"I bought the 2014 Volt Premium about a month ago, and the more I learn about it, the more I like it. I did trade a 2012 Prius plug in hybrid on it, and with no regrets. Although the Prius was a great car with an average 47 MPG, its EV mode maxed out at 12 miles. The Volt is way ahead of all other Plug in hybrids, owning it is proof enough."

Best car ever

By on Sunday, April 26, 2015

"At 70 I have owned many cars, Volt is the future of driving, well made fun to drive a real game changer..Turning in my 2012 for a 2015..love it."

A glimpse into the future

By on Saturday, August 9, 2014

Pros: "Economy, Reliability and Driving experience"

Cons: "Sales persons not knowledgeable about the Volt"

"We have had our 2014 Volt for close to 6 months now. 93% of our driving has been pure EV, with the gasoline range extender only having been used infrequently on days we drive over 50 miles. Our average fuel economy to date works out to 416 MPG if you factor in the gasoline it has used. More importantly, with an EV - we monitor Kwh used per 100 miles, and to date we average 28 KwH/100 miles. We drive about 1000 miles/ month with the Volt, and average commute to/from work is around 30 miles round trip. The Volt has been 100% reliable. It has not been back to the dealer, had any service or problems since we own it. It hasn't made any trips to the gas station yet either! We find the car is very comfortable up front. I am 6' plus and over 300# and find the driving position very good. The back seats are tight, but even a big guy like me has squeezed in there for short 30 minute trips and been fine. The back seat is just fine for kids or smaller adults. Storage with the hatch back is great. This is our second car. We have a big chevy Tahoe for long family trips when we travel with kids and the dogs. The Volt is not made for this. However, for the average commuter driving to work daily or running errands around town - the Volt is simply brilliant. We have a grid tied solar PV array on our roof, and knowing I can charge the battery with surplus electrical power I generate puts a huge smile on my face. The car has very good acceleration, thanks to all that torque from the electric motor. Handling is solid and sure footed. Being such a heavy car it does very well in rain and slushy roads. The brakes are outstanding and I love the fact that you can select how much regenerative force they provide. Overall we are extremely satisfied with the Volt. A car like this needs to fit your lifestyle to be fully appreciated. Sure they are not inexpensive, but then purchasing any vehicle is never about making a sound financial choice....it is a convenience and an emotional purchase. For us, with a small family and lots of pets, the Volt makes a perfect second car since we already have a large family hauler in the fleet. Conclusion....we love our Volt...and can't wait to see what the new 2016's will bring."

after buying cars for 40 years .. VOLT is the best

By on Monday, October 21, 2013

Pros: "Smooth Quiet no shifting effortless POWER."

Cons: "Window switches are touchy for my big fingers."

Snow on the outside preconditioned inside...no engine smoke

"Smooth quiet power no ICE can match. Bought my White Base Volt on Dec 22, 2012 and have not been to a gas station since. The car has been flawless. I now agree with over 128,000 automotive engineers from around the world who voted the Chevy Volt as the best engineered car on the road today. After 3 years I still don't see a real competitor. I hear about a lot of concept cars. I paid $22,900 for my Volt after rebates."

Snow on the outside preconditioned inside...no engine smoke

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Fun to drive, great car, nice design, amazing mpg"

"The Chevrolet Volt is really a great car! It really does save you money. On average people drive 900 miles in between fill ups. I would highly suggest buying a Chevy Volt!"

Proud of my Volt! Great deal on a great car!

By on Thursday, April 11, 2013

Pros: "Value, technology, luxury, cool factor"

Cons: "Rear seat space"

"My Volt has been a great buy and a great experience. I drive 120 miles per day. My gas bill was over $130/week. Now with my volt I go from home to work using less than a gallon of gas! Prius can't get close to that kind of performance; not to mention Prius is buttt ugly. My utility gives me special rates so my charge cost less than one dollar. I purchased my loaded 2013 Volt for under $30k after discounts and the tax breaks. That's far less than you would pay for the Lexus hybrid or a gas guzzling BMW. My volt is kept pristine and gets lots of attention. I rarely go to the gas station but some people are thrown for a loop that I'm buying gas for an electric car. I tell them It's my style Cher, I'm a man that demands his cake and gets to eat it too. I'm a big guy but volt has good front room seating. It's a little cramped if someone sits behind me, but I tend to lean back in my seat more than most. Handling is superb. The dash led me to name my car Enterprise. It has enough complexity to intrigue an engineer like myself. It takes some getting used to compared to your average dumbed down product interface, so if you are simple in nature it might be overwhelming. Charging is easy and takes 6-8 hours on a standard outlet. I thought long and hard before purchasing but I have no regrets at all! I can't explain it, but owning a Volt makes me feel like I'm part of some elite club where only the big dogs play."

I LOVE This Car!!!

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Fun, quiet, luxurious, electric/gas, sustainable"

Cons: "Would like a rear wiper on the hatch"

"I honestly am excited every day when it's time to drive my Volt. To cruise around on pure electric -- QUIETLY -- is a feeling like none other. It feels as though it is floating down the road. The Volt is a solid, heavy car. When in the midst of violent winds in storms, the car holds its own without deviating from the road (unlike smaller, lighter-weight cars that get battered side to side from the winds). Its weight has also proven to be good in snowy conditions, which makes a difference in retaining control. The interior is very comfortable. Love the heated seats! They are activated by the external temperature but can easily be controlled and adjusted. People who have ridden in the back seat have been surprised at the roominess and leg room. Having a hatchback is wonderful for loading groceries, and the ability to fold down the back seats to accommodate larger items makes this car so much more versatile than a regular sedan. Plugging the car in for charging is a no-brainer. It works completely on my 110 outdoor outlet. The mileage obtained on one charge is relevant to outdoor temperatures. In the summer, I'm able to get between 46-50 miles on one charge. However, the winter charge rate drops to between 28-32 -- dependent on if it is zero degrees or 32 and also whether the heated seats, heater, rear defroster, front defroster, etc. are all activated. That being said, I typically use my car the most for around town driving, which allows me to drive on all-electric. I've currently owned the car now for almost 2 years with 6,200 miles on it -- and have only used 18 gallons of gasoline! That makes my MPG over 250 mpg. But what I DO love is when I drive out of town with it, I have gasoline that powers the generator that powers the battery. So, I'm able to drive completely across the U.S. if I want and not have battery range anxiety as people with all-electric cars do. Or better yet, come to a complete stop because they've run out of battery and cannot find a charger in their vicinity. It's the only completely versatile car made so far, and I would urge everyone to try it. Its luxury rivals any other car on the highway today, as does the smooth ride. Bose makes a wonderful sound system for music and Sirius, and of course the automatic telephone answering system and calling system is great. Navigation system is a bonus, as is the back-up camera and the car sensors that beep to tell you that you are too close to an object. I can’t tell you how grateful I am for that especially when parallel parking. A jack accomodates an M3P player. The side mirrors are heated, too, and THAT makes life wonderful in the winter. Are there any downsides, you wonder? There is only one item I would request of GM: I would like a rear windshield wiper on the hatchback window just to make my vision clearer in the rain and snow. The bottom line for me is that I am now NOT contributing to all the nastiness being spewed into the air from traditional gasoline engine cars with exhaust, and I feel I am doing my part in caring for our Earth's atmosphere. Running on electric is much cheaper than gasoline. I've seen an increase of only $5-10 on my monthly electric bill. If you convert that into gasoline, we're talking maybe 3 gallons at today's prices. Can you drive a month on 3 gallons? Ummm, no. Oh -- I forgot to mention that it has lots of get-up and go!!! The initial price seems high, but remember that you receive a federal tax credit which is helpful at the year's end. But you are also receiving a lot of car for that price. I urge you to test-drive a Volt and see for yourself."

Really like not having to buy gas

By on Monday, February 6, 2012

Pros: "Gas bill way down, easy to drive, wife loves it"

Cons: "Wish up front cost was cheaper"

"So far, I have been getting 175 MPG. I charge up every night with the standard outlet charger (haven't upgraded to the level II charger yet which charges in just 4 hours) and am ready to go for 35 - 40 miles depending on the temperature and if I have to run the seat heaters or not. Drives well and will spoil you with how quiet it is; now when I have to drive my V8 truck I feel like I'm driving an army tank. My wife and I love this car and wouldn't trade it for anything else. We have noticed our electric bill has gone up between $20 - $30 per month, but the Onstar report estimates that we have saved a couple hundred gallons of gasoline already. If you do the math, $3.50/gallon multiplied by 250 gallons saved = $875 saved so far (well worth the extra 20 or 30 bucks a month for electricity). With this car, we just drive right by the gas stations and joke about how we can't remember the last time we had to put gas in the car. The "I thought those were electric" commercials are actually pretty true to life; people will come by and actually say that when we stop to get drinks or snacks at a gas station (or to use the potty)."

Love the Low, Prowling Look - and the Performance

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "Great looks, great performance, awesome technology"

Cons: "Zero, none, nadda."

"I've had my Volt now since January, 2011, and I still look forward to driving it. I've owned many wonderful cars, but the Volt is the best so far. It is quick off the line and has nice, tight handling. The technology and creature comforts are amazing. Overall, it even beats my prior BMW 540i Sport (which is saying a lot, no question). I drive all week without burning a drop of gas, and then take it on long road trips without worrying for a second (it burns gas at about 40 mpg on long trips). All in, my Volt's lifetime mileage is 77 mpg. As best we can tell there is essentially no change in our household electric bill. I'll never go back to owning a conventional gas-burner. Never."

Great on gas, gives up nothing

By on Thursday, January 26, 2012

Pros: "great mileage, well finished, practical"

Cons: "Touch controls can be hard to see at dusk"

"I bought my Volt mainly for the promised gas mileage and am not disappointed but was also pleasantly surprised since it is a very practical and enjoyable vehicle to drive. It has great seats, an excellent sound system and is very quiet, not only in electric mode but also in gas-electric. The low center of gravity translates into excellent handling and the electric drive has lots and lots of torque. It keeps up with everything on the road. The hatchback design has lots of access and storage space. Oh yes, and mileage varies from 38-40 mpg in gas-electric mode to 150 mpg in combinations of electric (about 25 miles) and gas-electric. I use the provided charger (110v) which is fine for overnight charging. The overall range is about 350 miles. if you run out of electric charge on a long trip, just fill it up like a conventional drive vehicle."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Volt near Honolulu. See local deals