1997 Chevrolet Suburban 1500

Based on 446 Ratings for the 1992 - 1999 models.

By on Sunday, March 23, 2008

"This is the SUV for those who want a real utility vehicle. This is built considerably stronger than modern SUV's and can handle abuse a lot better. 361,900 miles on the original engine speaks for itself. Low cost of ownership when it comes to upkeep and maintenance. Inexpensive to repair when it does need fixing. This is a daily driver over the sierra's between Reno Nevada and Bishop California."

Darn good

By on Sunday, December 2, 2007

"Roomy and reliable. Hauls the kids, their strollers scooters bikes the dog and grandma...comfortably (oh and mom and dad too!). Plenty powerful, tows great, good visibility. A few repairs but nothing more than you would expect when putting well over 100k miles on! The ultimate road machine. I'll get another if this one wears out...though it seems like it might never do that. Yeah gas costs a bit at 15 mpg, but the safety factor and comfort for my family is well worth it. Anyway I would have to replace it with 2 of those 30mpg vehicles to haul my gang and their stuff. Mom likes to drive it too."

best one yet

By on Wednesday, November 21, 2007

"This is my 3rd suburban, I've had this one nearly 6 years. I love it. it always runs great, hauls people, furniture, equipment, whatever I need and still rides comfortably and safely. I am at a point in my life where I could pay cash for a smaller, more economical vehicle. I'm not ready to give this one up. I'll drive it til the wheels fall off and then put them back on and drive it some more!"

By on Thursday, November 8, 2007

"Have owned for five years, Very happy. Yes, I have spent some money in repairs, but those are to be expected. Gasoline will be five dollars per gallon before it even begins to become a reason not to drive this vehicle. The safety of my family is far more important."

One of my Favorite Vehicles

By on Wednesday, November 7, 2007

"I,ve owned and driven lots of cars and trucks in my time. I must say that the Chevy Suburban has given me everything that I could ask for in a vehicle. Excellent comfort inside, very roomy, stylish, and reliability. If I had a negative about this ride I would say that the mileage isn't all that great (11 mph). However all of the great qualities of the Suburban far outweigh the one negative."

I love Suburbans

By on Tuesday, August 28, 2007

"The Chevy Suburban is the best SUV on the road if you are looking for a classy and comfortable vehicle with luxury appointmets. The newer Suburbans handle almost like cars and new or old they are hard to beat for a long distance family driving vacation. I have driven a Suburban for 8 years and I will never drive anything else, as long as I live in a winter climate anyway!"

By on Thursday, August 9, 2007

"I have traveled the Country in my Suburban. You dont' feel like you are in a tin can going down the interstate! I can't imagine traveling in anything else. Very comfortable. (and enough room to separate the kids if they start arguing) Great vehicle for traveling! Other than average wear, the only big problem I've had with my suburban is the braking system."

i love it

By on Saturday, July 28, 2007

"i couldn't have asked for a better safer vehicle for me and my children, it has so much room, very comfortable for rear passagers, plus i have plenty of room for groceries or kids bikes or whatever............."

My Favorite

By on Thursday, July 26, 2007

"We've had our Suburban for 10 years - still runs GREAT and looks great. My favorite vehicle ever!! Mileage is 15 -17 mpg - not bad for a vehicle this size. Friends with minivans don't get much better and don't have the space or towing capacity. Tows great, I've used the 4WD many times - LOVE it. Only trouble is - kids are grown - we only drive it 3 - 4 times/year now - mostly to move kids to and from college. Passenger seats are comfortable - esp the 3rd seat."

Best so far

By on Sunday, July 22, 2007

"This has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. I plan to keep mine for many more years. No major problems so far! The only bad thing is the way the center seat folds to allow for a passenger to clime in the back (third row). Bad design."

Awesome truck!

By on Saturday, July 7, 2007

"This has been the best vehicle I've ever owned. It's very comfortable and has lots of power. I love this truck!"

Good Family Hauler

By on Thursday, March 2, 2017

Pros: "Great Long Life Family Hauler"

Cons: "4L60-E Trans Issues"

"This Suburban was purchased when it was 5 years old with 130k on the odometer. I had it another 18 years and it was relatively trouble free. This truck was driven with a full load of 7 passengers with their luggage about 65% of the 97k miles we put on it. About another 20% it was pulling a heavy trailer. Comfortable, the front & rear heat and A/C are a must for a cabin as voluminous as this truck has. When fishing, boating, hunting, and off-road driving for a good portion of its life. Really was easy on tires, only went through two sets in 97k miles of travel. The tow package included a big radiator and an engine oil cooler. Never did it overheat even at wide open throttle going up to and through Eisenhower Tunnel on hot summer days. Transmissions were a problem though. The transmission was replaced once with a GM remanufactured unit then rebuilt again in a transmission shop, getting only about 45,000 miles out of them before the sunshell broke both times. That was also the deathknell of this truck. At 223,587 miles the transmission when out again. At that point, the truck was 23 years old with nearly 1/4 million miles. The body and interior were still in good shape, but the paint had started peeling on the exterior. (The galvanized body panels never showed any rust.) The R12 A/C system needed repairs to be functional. The cost to bring it back to highway cruiser status was more than to replace it with a newer low-mileage GMC Yukon XL. The truck was sold to a young man who overhauled the engine and fitted it with a salvage yard tranny. He painted the once glossy Summit White flat forest camouflage and turned it into his hunting vehicle. As far as I know, its still running today. The shift-on-the-fly 4-wheel drive worked just fine the whole time I had the truck."

Best horse I ever owned.

By on Wednesday, May 27, 2015

"This truck is a horse. Does everything well and keeps on running. Have owned for 18 years."

Great car but mileage could be better but for size

By on Sunday, April 27, 2014

Pros: "Great first car, acceleration, power, towing"

Cons: "Gas gas gas, very pricey to fill up (44gal tank)"

"Purchased in 2000, been in my family's possession for the past 14 years. Great family car, great for driving down the street or crossing state borders. Mileage is not amazing, low to mid teens, but for its size and its age it has performed exceptionally well. Acceleration is good as well, it may be an older vehicle but it still has the pep in its step to keep up with many newer vehicles in its class and in some cases outperform the vehicles released within a couple of years. No major repairs at all have been needed besides tire replacement. Minor repairs include broken window: stuck button (children playing with the button), door handle: internal gears broken (improper rotational force applied), seats: leather is worn and torn from years of wear, headlights: dead light bulb. Tows like a dream, handles U-haul trailers easily, the power output of the engine is fantastic. It's a great first car for your teen, because it's big it encourages safe driving, alertness/awareness of surrounding traffic. It takes a lot of gas to fill the tank because it has a 44 gallon tank (an enormous cost in today's gas economy) but it also means that you do not have to fill it up as often as same class vehicles with smaller tanks. Overall: great car, very few repairs, great first car."

Greatest vehicle ever built

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Cons: "Cup holder is right in front on heat vent"

"Takes one heck of a licking but keeps on ticking"

lots of room

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive. Big and safe"

Cons: "wish it got more mpg"

"Tons of room and a smooth ride. Gas isnt that good but could be worse."

Super nice drivin

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Does ok on mpg for a full sized family suv, safe"

Cons: "altenators go out somewhat fast"

"This car drives nice, is comfortable to be in. Pretty reliable and does excellent when your towing. My Wife and i Love it."

love it

By on Friday, February 17, 2012

"I have own this vechile for 9yrs and I love it. It has 199,000 miles and still running strong. Yes has had some work done to it, but nothing ever over $500, and only twice. I live in the country and drives awesome in the snow."

great ride...comfortable and still stylish.

By on Sunday, February 5, 2012

"I have had this jewel for 6 months and I love it. It drives great and it's a beast in 4x4. She's comfortable on long trips and surprisingly affordable on those trips. Not loving the 40 gallon tank when buying gas, but its worth it to throw the family and friends in to go places."

Absolutely great vehicle

By on Friday, February 3, 2012

Pros: "none"

"This is my second Suburban and I would not purchase any other type. These trucks are reliable, comfortable, provide massive seating and carry space. The driver is able to see far beyond normal while driving and through the snowing winters, this vehicle is unsurpassed. When towing, this truck and my previous Suburban tows like there is nothing behind it. I kept my first one for 10 years and this one is going on 14 years, while running like new."

I would like to eventually own another one newer .

By on Monday, January 16, 2012

"It has been a great towing vehicle and has great power. I bought it with out power windows so I wouldn't have to worry about electric problems. The only bad thing is, it isn't the most fuel efficient."

best vehicle ive ever owned

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

Pros: "very reliable vehicle"

Cons: "gas milage sucks"

my beast

"this vehicle has gottin me outta a few slumps snow banks mudd hail storms and much more if i ever had a chance id buy anoter one every day"

my beast

I love this truck

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "great ride, comfortable, powerful, carries a lot"

Cons: "Low MPG"

"I've own this Suburban for 3.5 years, minimal maintenance required. I own/drive other vehicles as well, so this one may sit for a while between driving it. No matter, starts and runs every time. Trips of 600 miles or more, runs like a champ. All the amenities still work. Love it. Comfortable. Heated leather."

awesome vehicle

By on Monday, October 17, 2011

Pros: "great engine. lots of room. great handling"

Cons: "not one"

"i believe that the suburban is one of the most reliable suv's ever made. never gives me any problems"

My 4th Chevy

By on Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Dusk

"I got this Surburan 6 months ago and put a little money in it and alot of labor but she is a really great truck and perfect for my family!"

Dusk

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Suburban 1500 near Honolulu. See local deals