2012 Chevrolet Sonic

Based on 177 Ratings for the 2012 - 2018 models.

Great, but I don't love it

By on Friday, August 5, 2016

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable, roomy trunk"

Cons: "Radio touch-panel, digital speedometer, Onstar"

"This car (2016-LT Sedan, 5-sp)does everything I wanted. It has more trunk length than similar cars for transporting my RC planes. The seats are comfortable on a long trip, it rides well, and is quiet. I find that I need to watch the tachometer more when shifting than other cars, because the car is quieter. The things I don't love are things I wouldn't have noticed before driving it a while. The digital-only speedometer display is not as useful as an analog display, because you can't see it "move." I see that they are changing back to analog for 2017. The touch-panel display for the radio is a distraction while driving. There are buttons on the steering wheel to change the volume, but not to change radio stations. You have to take your eyes off the road to find the places on the screen to touch. You can't reach and push buttons by feel. I tried the Onstar services while it was free. We have pushed the SOS button a few times by accident while adjusting the mirror. It was useful to connect a laptop to wifi while driving on a trip. But I find the online data not organized in a way to help me use it. It is data-heavy, and requires lots of clicking. It does not give digestible summary displays. For example, it gives a driver "score," but this score does not take into account my MPG, which to me is primarily important. I made a one-mile trip yesterday, and I got a 0 for my daily driving score because a car drove in front of me in a parking lot, and I had to hit the brakes hard. I can even see online on a map exactly where this happened. The driving score seems to primarily be based on hard braking per mile. Because Onstar does not state the actual formula used, the score is not meaningful to me. I also find that the Onstar calculated MPG is higher than actual. I keep a logbook of every gas fill-up, and my true overall average MPG for the month was 31.0 MPG. This is right where I expect, as the stated MPG is 26 city, 35 highway, and 30 overall. Onstar reports 37 MPG average for the same period. This might be a bug in their software, as that was my peak MPG on a trip during that period. Conclusion: the car does great at what I bought it for. My gripes are mostly with the radio interface and the Onstar subscription that I will let expire, anyway."

everything I hoped for

By on Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Pros: "efficient and fun"

Cons: "rear door limits rear seat ease"

"2016 Sonic hatch turbo delivered on what expected. Gas mileage in mid 30s. Turbo puts torque where you need it in powerband. Steering precise, ride supple, handling sharp, seat supportive and quiet road noise. I needed short car because of parking situation but do not feel deprived in this hatch-plenty of space inside. Proud it's made in USA!"

Love the Sonic

By on Saturday, June 25, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, economical, inexpensive, well equipe"

"The Sonic is great fun to drive and very economical. Also very user friendly. Easy to load cargo and roomy enough for 4 people comfortably. Has been very reliable. No need for any repairs; only oil changes. The car is everything we expected and more. We did recommend the car to another person who bought one and loves it as well."

My First Car

By on Thursday, July 17, 2014

Pros: "Fun to Drive, Great Gas Mileage, Very Nimble."

Cons: "Engine not as PEP as other subs."

"When I got my license back on 5/27 i was looking at VARIOUS car's including this one. The Line up was the Mazda3,Focus,Rio and the Sonic. I Originally was Going to get the Mazda3 but then it was sold...but wasn't warranted by the Manufacturer. So it was a toss between the Rio and the Sonic since the Focus didn't get a GREAT Review by CR. So in the End I bought the Sonic..it's my First Car, it Rides well..VERY Good HANDLING, & Came with 3 months Free OnStar, which I will continue after the trial is over, and I even use the OnStar App for my iPhone. VERY Good Gas Mileage, although i Got the LS Auto with Power all EXCEPT Windows and no Cruise Control. VERY Nimble and Fun Car To Drive."

This is an amazing vehicle, so much fun to drive!

By on Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Pros: "Everything!"

Cons: "No sun roof in mine.."

"Love the manual transmission, very easy to learn on!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Sonic near Honolulu. See local deals