2012 Chevrolet Sonic

Based on 177 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

Great small car!

By on Monday, September 12, 2016

Pros: "Looks, MPG, Safety, Lots of space!"

Cons: "Minor repairs, interior is mostly plastic."

"It's a great little car, very stylish, rides well, and handles great! It fits four 6 foot adults with room to spare in the trunk. There's a lot of room when you fold down the back seats! It's also pretty peppy for its size, if you ask me. It also gets great mpg, I average about 34 mpg with little effort. I also love the dash board, the digital speed and other information is so easy to read, I don't think I could ever go back to regular speedometers now! And the MyLink system is great!"

Amazing vehicle. I love it!

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, stylish, great gas mileage"

Cons: "would like leather seats and sun roof"

"This car gets amazing gas mileage. The inside is very nice and comfortable. The trunk is shocking; it is huge! I love that you can use Bluetooth and you can sync your Mp3 to it. If you are looking for a great car, go for the Sonic!"

So far, so good

By on Saturday, November 5, 2016

Pros: "Good value for dollar"

Cons: "The miles per gallon numbers are lower than stated"

"I have owned this car a year and it has most of the options offered for this model. (LTZ) It has a refined ride, smooth transmission and good road manners. It may be one of the nicest winter cars with a good heater and heated seats. Seems to be put together well. My Link radio is a nice system. My only complaint about the car is the 17 wheels, which are bad news in the snow. I downsized to a set of 16 wheels with aggressive snow tires for the front end during the winter. So far no problems to report."

Beats the Competition

By on Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, reliability, interior space"

Cons: "not enough pedal space for big footed people"

"This is an excellent car for the money. People who complain about the gas mileage in comparison to other sub compacts need to remember that the Sonic blows the others away in engine power and acceleration. It also drives more substantial than the others because it is somewhat heavier."

Great, but I don't love it

By on Friday, August 5, 2016

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable, roomy trunk"

Cons: "Radio touch-panel, digital speedometer, Onstar"

"This car (2016-LT Sedan, 5-sp)does everything I wanted. It has more trunk length than similar cars for transporting my RC planes. The seats are comfortable on a long trip, it rides well, and is quiet. I find that I need to watch the tachometer more when shifting than other cars, because the car is quieter. The things I don't love are things I wouldn't have noticed before driving it a while. The digital-only speedometer display is not as useful as an analog display, because you can't see it "move." I see that they are changing back to analog for 2017. The touch-panel display for the radio is a distraction while driving. There are buttons on the steering wheel to change the volume, but not to change radio stations. You have to take your eyes off the road to find the places on the screen to touch. You can't reach and push buttons by feel. I tried the Onstar services while it was free. We have pushed the SOS button a few times by accident while adjusting the mirror. It was useful to connect a laptop to wifi while driving on a trip. But I find the online data not organized in a way to help me use it. It is data-heavy, and requires lots of clicking. It does not give digestible summary displays. For example, it gives a driver "score," but this score does not take into account my MPG, which to me is primarily important. I made a one-mile trip yesterday, and I got a 0 for my daily driving score because a car drove in front of me in a parking lot, and I had to hit the brakes hard. I can even see online on a map exactly where this happened. The driving score seems to primarily be based on hard braking per mile. Because Onstar does not state the actual formula used, the score is not meaningful to me. I also find that the Onstar calculated MPG is higher than actual. I keep a logbook of every gas fill-up, and my true overall average MPG for the month was 31.0 MPG. This is right where I expect, as the stated MPG is 26 city, 35 highway, and 30 overall. Onstar reports 37 MPG average for the same period. This might be a bug in their software, as that was my peak MPG on a trip during that period. Conclusion: the car does great at what I bought it for. My gripes are mostly with the radio interface and the Onstar subscription that I will let expire, anyway."

It's a great car

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

"The car is perfect but it's a13upgrade to 14"

The LTZ Turbo is a blast to drive!

By on Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, sporty, fun to drive, great commuter"

Cons: "too small, tight squeeze with a car seat"

"Great gas saver but still sporty enough!"

Awesome car, Fun, Fast and excellent 40 plus MPG.

By on Sunday, December 9, 2012

Pros: "Great Value, great MPG, great fun to drive."

Cons: "Wish I had a center arm rest."

"Decided to sell my 2001 Jeep Cherokee because of fuel economy and started to do the research. I really wanted to stick with domestic so my search was narowed to the Chevy Sonic and the Ford Fiesta and I did not want to wait for the Dodge Dart. Drove the Fiesta and the Sonic and there was no comparison, the Chevy rode better, was quicker, quiet and very comfortable. My research led me to order a sedan LT with the 1.4 Turbo, six speed manual. We have now driven over 5000 miles with a combined fuel avearge of 40MPG since we bought the car. If you are in the market for a subcompact car you really need to check out the Sonic. This car has exceeded all of our expectations and for someone who had not owned a GM vehicle for years it has created a new confidence that we can build a car in Michigan, USA, that can compete with the best in the world. Nice job Chevrolet, and thanks to the Lake Orion workers who have built a world class car. Keep it up!"

Great car for fair price

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pros: "safety, fun to drive"

Cons: "nothing, great for its class"

My orange Sonic 2LT sedan with automatic transmission and 1.8 engine at Julia Pfeiffer State Park in California

"I own an orange Sonic 2LT Sedan with automatic transmission and the 1.8 engine. I've driven it through the windy, mountainous roads of Highway 1 in California, been stuck in traffic in San Francisco, gone through country roads near San Jose, and been on a 150 mile straight trip with my Sonic. On the numerous hairpin turns of Highway 1, my Sonic stuck to the road like glue, even at 55mph. It delivered more-than-suitable amounts of power to charge uphill, and the brakes work wonders on the light vehicle going downhill, all while maintaining 33mpg on rugged terrain like that. Stuck in traffic, its engine is extremely quiet and there is absolutely no vibration. The seats are comfortable enough to sit in for copious amounts of time while waiting for red lights to finally change, once again, all while maintaining a cool 27mpg in traffic jams. On long trips, it really struts its stuff in comparison to other cars in its class. Its comfortable and reasonably spacious. I'm 6 feet tall, 170lbs and I don't even have the seat all the way back while i'm driving. I managed to fit 4 people, and their luggage for a plane trip, in this car with suitable leg room and comfort, 5 people might be stretching it though. I registered 39mpg on the highway. Now, the looks. As aforementioned, my Sonic is an orange sedan, so I'm going purely based off of its specific style and my personal opinion. I think the orange paint job really stands out on my Sonic. I also think the sedan looks better than other sedans in its category. Its a small car, but its headlights and front grill give it a mean, sporty look. Also, the all of the exterior lights on it are extremely bright. The interior is hard plastic, but it doesn't look or feel particularly bad. or cheap. The dash lights glow blue, and the gauges are all tubular and motorcycle-like. Overall, the front dash looks somewhat blank, and futuristic. The interior of my Sonic is cloth, and the black clashes well with the orange outside. The safety features on this car are quite vast. It has almost no blind spots, and it comes with 10 standard airbags. Fortunately, I've not experienced those airbags yet. Overall, it drives nicely, and has a lot of features for the price. It doesn't look half bad in the orange sedan option either. The controls are also very easy to become accustomed to. It also has a great price and fuel economy."

A lot of feature for a practical price

By on Monday, April 1, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage, great sound system/electronics"

Cons: "Seats stiff, not the most comfortable"

"The Chevrolet Sonic is a very affordable car with good gas mileage and numerous features in the LT model. While the interiors finishing is adequate albeit stiff, it does provide enough for a basic price. The car could use an additional 12V power supply/USB port for the back seat. Overall I would highly recommend this car in comparison to the Cruze that is fetching top dollar."

my first new car

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "best car gm made ever"

Cons: "not a thing"

"retired a 2000 grand am for my sonic would not give up my sonic for anything best car ever. it's a blue lt turbo seadan"

Good car for the price and my family

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "Great value for the money. Plenty of options in the 2LT."

Cons: "Hard plastic interior. Little hard to handle in strong winds."

"This car is a great value and very reliable...so far. It has plenty of room and the 2LT has all the options that I wanted- cruise, remote start, etc. The hard plastic interior takes some getting used to, but looks good. It handles well enough, but I had to drive through a thunderstorm on the way home from the dealership and it felt a little top heavy and harder to keep straight."

Good car for the money

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Plenty of room, good price, plenty of power,"

Cons: "Hard plastic interior, really light in winds"

"I have driven this car for a while now and I really do like it. It has plenty of power and the gas mileage is really good. If taking car with accelerating and driving a little slower this car can get 40 miles per gallon. I really like the entertainment system and the hands free features. The onstar navigation has helped me alot. There is plenty of room, more than I ever thought possible with such a small car. The car is very quiet with little wind noise. There is plenty of storage for small items everywhere. I like the extra storage compartment above the glovebox and the USB connection within this storage space. There are some things that I have learned to live with though. The hard plastic interior takes a little to get used to. The car sits higher in the rear so seeing behind can be hard. The car is very light, so it is harder to hold straight in strong winds. Its gears does not allow it to coast freely down long hills, but I guess this saves on brakes. These things aren't a deal killer for me. A good sporty car for the price."

LOVE IT!!!

By on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cons: "No trunk release in the car, only on key."

"I love my Sonic. We just had a snow storm with 8 inches. The Sonic was great! My husband calles her the beast because she went through it like nothing. Love the safety!"

nice car really surprised

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "fair pricing ,fun2 drive ,excellent interior"

Cons: "cup holders,mpg ,"

"after owning a toyota yaris sedan that never got less than 34 mpg that got totaled in an accident i was on the hunt again for an economy car . toyota quit making the sedans and the hatchbacks just arent inviting to me i decided to test the chevy sonic cause i am a chevy fan except for one thing .thier fuel mpg testing must be on pikes peak going downhill or in a vacuum chamber somewhere cause they never get what they say they will. i havnt had the car long and driving it gently hwy mileage has been about 27 to 29 at best which its not broke in yet so im hoping it gets better. besides that i love it .it looks great it does have some pep if needed. i have the 1.8 with auto trans i got the LT for cruise and upgraded sound and got the foglights and 16 "wheels. cup holders in center console are to far back but overall i am pleased if the mpg gets up a little more after break in ill call it a homerun for chevy. right now ill just call it a triple"

I feel like this car was made exactly for me!

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"I went into test driving a Chevy with some reservations. Especially a compact where the market is dominated by foreign cars like KIA, Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda. Boy was I wrong. Lets start from the beginning. I had been driving a KIA that was approaching 100k miles and was in need of a new car that had the best fuel economy available and also a warranty. So I figured I would go back to KIA. I test drove the Rio and was unimpressed. It just didn't do anything for me. Not only the car itself but also the pricing on upgrading a base model to an automatic transmission and power package. After tallying up all of that, I was out of my price range. Since that didnt work out, I figured I would ride it out with what I had and not get a new car. Then I came across the Sonic on the dealerships website. I was first drawn to the look of the front of the exterior. Very sporty looking. Chevy has separated themselves from the pack by dramatically changing the way the front end looks compared with most compacts out on the road. Afterall, this is what you would see coming down the road. Might as well make it look good. So I did alot of research on the Sonic. The only thing that was holding me back was the mileage ratings on the sticker. My KIA was still pumping out 33mpg on average, and the Sonic seemed to be slightly better from what I was reading. I figured I would request a test drive of the Sonic anyways just to stoke my curiosity. From the moment I put it into 1st gear at the dealership and hit the road I was hooked. The car feels solid for being so small. It rides nice and has good insulating qualities for keeping out road and wind noise. I test drove (and purchased)the base model Sonic which is the 5 speed manual, 1.8L engine. It has crank handle windows, but comes standard equipped with keyless entry, power doors and locks, am/fm radio with auxillary input (no cd - no big deal to me). One thing I thought was great with the radio in this car that I had not had before is the ability to store both AM and FM stations on the same favorites list. So. The gas mileage seems to be quite the topic of contention concerning this car and the 1.8L engine in it. To be honest I was a little concerned when I first started driving the Sonic because I was only getting about 34mpg (highway) for the first few hundred miles. However, after hitting the 500 mile mark on the odometer, this car is showing me how economical it can be. This morning, I averaged 42.8 mpg. Unbelievable but true. Granted 37 of the 40 miles I drive to work are freeway miles at speeds 55 to 70 mph. Driving around town does drop the averages down quite a bit to the high 20's / low 30's but still well within reason. My only gripes are minor. When starting the car first thing in the morning it sounds louder than I am used to. Not excessively loud but just enough to make you notice. The radio speaker system they put in the base model barely is adequate and the radio menus are somewhat clunky to navigate. The cup holders are positioned farther back than I would like them to be in the center. The dashboard console is lacking certain features like an always present "engine temperature" that is on most cars. And lastly...I am not particularly fond of pressing "menu" every time I want to switch the console reading from odometer/trip over to avg. mileage/till empty readouts. Independent buttons would have worked just as well. The cons are typically items that are associated with the "bells and whistles" of the car not the mechanical operation. The car as a whole itself is fantastic and I am loving it. This is a solid little car that is fun to drive and should save you some money in the long run. I now look forward to driving again because of my Sonic."

Great Vehicle.

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pros: "Exterior Design, Seating space, Features, Fuel economy, Handling, Price, Quality."

Cons: "Plastic interior, acceleration, Manual Adjust Seats."

"Chevy finally did something right. I tested the fit, and fiesta. When I got into this car I knew it was going to be mine. It handles like a champ, and I live on a golf course with all types of bends and curves. The car is very quite and smooth. Very easy to hold a conversation, and not worry about wind, and traffic noise. The interior left a bit to be desired. I ultimately upgraded to the leather seats for comfort, and ease of cleaning. I am 6 ft tall but there is plenty of head, leg, shoulder space. I would expect this car to sell for thousands more than it was listed. This car is very solid and I would suggest it to anyone looking for a great city car that is shockingly fun to drive."

Best quality vehicle we have owned.

By on Sunday, August 7, 2016

Pros: "Looks, fun ride, features/accessories,air-bags"

Cons: "Cup holder position.Fairly high priced."

"We only have 18,000 miles on our Sonic, bought new. The Turbo 1.4L Sonic 6-speed-automatic is quiet but very peppy. Jackrabbit starts reduce mileage considerably! At steady 45mph it can achieve 52mpg. At 35-40mph with few stops, mileage is 38-42mpg. Stop and start in town is 26-30mpg. TEN Air-Bags ! We drive sensibly, and only once a month the transmission "hunts" a moment for a gear. If you have a lead-foot and brake hard and lead-foot again, the transmission will "hunt" for a gear. Otherwise, the gear changes are imperceptible. Coasting to a stop the transmission gradually downshifts through all the gears, and in gear 2 the engine is engaged and it torques like a light braking effect. At Idle, the transmission disengages; when brakes are released, it engages instantly. Manually shifting through the gears is available, but is no fun, as it overrides your choice (for sake of safety?) too often, and if you play the gears, fuel mileage FALLS. Ride is perfect and sporty for vehicle type and size, and the car hugs the road and takes turns without sway. Electric steering has road feel and requires a little effort, so you know you are driving. Power Brakes also require a little force, but it stops on a dime. Style is quirky in rear, handsome in front, rakish from side. Wheels are painted silver alloy, never get brake dust stains, and always appear clean. Monotone color scheme is achieved free if car is black or gray. Interior is durable, and roomy enough if you are 5'10" or less. 4'10" wife drives with safe space between face-chest and the steering wheel. Seats are not too low, as some small cars can be. Rear visibility is greatly blocked by rear-seat headrests, which we remove if we have no riders back there. Brake lights are VERY bright. Headlights do the proper job. There is a spacious hidden compartment above the mini-spare-tire, and then the visible storage is ample for a car of very short bodied hatchback design. Rear seats fold down very close to flat. High ceiling allows lots of headroom and increases hatch volume...the car is about 2 inches taller than other cars I have owned. Tachometer is bold and analog, Speedometer is digital and easy to read. Radio sounds terrific, even when blasting. Oil life monitor and continuous mpg readout and other choices are on the computer-mini-screen. Fuel gauge has 12 boxes that relate perfectly to the approx. 12-gallon tank. A warning light goes on when using last gallon. Stiff plastic Door Pocket rim rubs the side of your leg. Cup holder between front seats is too far back. Glove box and an electronic device box are good sized. Powerful heat/a-c fan and tight body actually makes you have to slam the last door shut."

Stylish, fun to drive, good gas mileage!

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "Stylish, good gas mileage, easy to load"

Cons: "No armrest for passenger"

"I've owned my Sonic since it was brand new. It now has over 32,000 miles on it. I love it just as much now as when I first bought it. Its a small car, and I don't expect more out of it than would be appropriate for this class of car. The car gets the best gas mileage at 55 mph; I can get 41-43 mph driving 55. Driving 70-77, I drop down into the mid 30s. I don't drive enough just in town to tell you what it gets in town alone. Its peppy. The transmission does take some getting used to. It is a little hard shifting. Compared to some small cars I've had before, where you had to get out and push them up hills, this car is in a class by itself. A trip through some good hills up and down last weekend, and had no problems keeping up and passing other cars. Love my car. Will buy another one."

best ever

By on Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, comfortable, good gas m"

Cons: "no dvd, bad gps app"

"I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CAR!! i purchased my car 4 months ago with 45,000 miles on it and i could not be happier. Car is so cute inside and out! everyone compliments it on how nice the interior is. runs great, only problem i had was having to replace the heating element on the drivers side 1 month in. Also the gas mileage is really good! $25 to fill the tank and lasts me along time...ill drive 60 miles on the highway and look down to see it JUST went down one gas notch. I could not be more happy with the car I picked...It is really fun to drive, i do not have any blind spots....for a small car it has plenty of front space and a decent amount of back space."

Great car.

By on Thursday, July 4, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great mpg, versatile (hatchback)"

Cons: "Radio a tad weak but works well."

"Many say their mileage is not as claimed however I routinely get 41 mpg or more on the highway running at 70 mph. My car is a tad over a year old and the mileage continues to get better. I have not had any problems whatsoever so the quality is fantastic. The 1.4 L turbo is the engine to get (which I have) it has more power and is the mpg winner of the two. The car is very quite inside, I didn't expect that. I think Chevy hit one out of the park with the Sonic. I would highly recommend this car."

Best of Both Worlds

By on Thursday, November 22, 2012

Pros: "Fuel Mileage, Looks, Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Cup Holders, Some Cheap Plastic,"

"I've had my sonic for approximately 6 months and I'm a satisfied customer. I have the turbo 1.4L and would highly recommend this motor over the 1.8. It's only a 750.00 dollar option, but gives better fuel mileage and more power. If styling and buying an American made product are two high concerns, then look no further. Assembled in Lake Orion Michigan by American workers with a look and stance that clearly sets it apart from its predecessors. It has four fully functional doors, but has the sportiness look of a two door. It was motorcycle inspired and has a gauge cluster as well as a set of headlights that are unlike anything else on the market. I'm currently averaging 42 MPG and have had zero problems. I've recently installed a performance tune and I'm now at 178 Horsepower and 198 ft lb of torque. All of this while still averaging 40MPG. Anyone looking for a great commuter car that has a little get-up and most of all "American Made," look no further. This car will go down in history as the "sleeper" that was overlooked."

My First Car

By on Saturday, December 31, 2011

Pros: "Great price! PERFECT size, OnStar, good gas, comfy"

Cons: "No power windows, cruise or CD player in LS"

I added the pink pin stripe :)

"This car is perfect for me. Single military member and this is my first car. It's super safe with the 10 air bags. AIRBAGS FOR YOUR KNEES! REALLY! On Star is a huge plus! I can plug my iPhone up and save up to 36 radio stations. It gets great gas and the trunk is HUGE! I LOVE THIS CAR!!"

I added the pink pin stripe :)

I love my car!!

By on Thursday, December 17, 2015

Pros: "Great gas mileage"

Cons: "Car drifts in bad weather"

"I love this car, the only thing I don't like about it is that it is so light....when I am driving in a storm or windy weather, I literally can feel my car drift, pretty scary sometimes bc I work night shifts lol but other than that I absolutely love it. I have had it since July of 2014. Great gas mileage"

A Nice Little Car for the Price

By on Friday, September 5, 2014

"I bought this car because it is assembled in USA. My car is 2013 LTZ with 5 speed manual transmission, gas mileage is excellent, combine highway and city, 33.9 miles. I drove the car cross the country, it's given me a lot fun! The only thing is the clock synchronization is not working and the leather seats look like fake. Otherwise, it is a perfect car! Thanks GM!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Sonic near Honolulu. See local deals