2012 Chevrolet Sonic

Based on 173 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

best ever

By on Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Pros: "great price, fun to drive, comfortable, good gas m"

Cons: "no dvd, bad gps app"

"I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH MY NEW CAR!! i purchased my car 4 months ago with 45,000 miles on it and i could not be happier. Car is so cute inside and out! everyone compliments it on how nice the interior is. runs great, only problem i had was having to replace the heating element on the drivers side 1 month in. Also the gas mileage is really good! $25 to fill the tank and lasts me along time...ill drive 60 miles on the highway and look down to see it JUST went down one gas notch. I could not be more happy with the car I picked...It is really fun to drive, i do not have any blind spots....for a small car it has plenty of front space and a decent amount of back space."

Quick acceleration, and solid grip but lousy MPG!

By on Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Pros: "Acceleration"

Cons: "MPG, Resale Value"

2013 Chevrolet Sonic- Silver LS Automatic

"I purchased this unit during March of 2014 as a certified pre-owned vehicle with 10,700 miles on from the get-go. I found the ride to be rather pleasant but also somewhat sporty! The noisy engine I found to be rather thrilling for my taste, as it somewhat resembles my 2011 v6 Camaro. This vehicle however, is much lighter and better balanced! My trim is the base LS automatic engine that comes with just the very basics and no outgoing bells & whistles. I didn't do much haggling with the price as they were at way under my price range for that year and model. Even though I’m not so happy with the Sonic’s MPG, as well as its resale value, I have to admit it was a great decision by far. I’m rather content overall with the purchase, and if given the chance again, I would certainly buy the Chevrolet Sonic a second or third time!"

2013 Chevrolet Sonic- Silver LS Automatic

A Nice Little Car for the Price

By on Friday, September 5, 2014

"I bought this car because it is assembled in USA. My car is 2013 LTZ with 5 speed manual transmission, gas mileage is excellent, combine highway and city, 33.9 miles. I drove the car cross the country, it's given me a lot fun! The only thing is the clock synchronization is not working and the leather seats look like fake. Otherwise, it is a perfect car! Thanks GM!"

Great vehicle for the price!

By on Friday, August 17, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive"

Cons: "No cruise control, cup holder placement"

"Bought the LS Base Model Sonic for my daughter back in May. Immediately took it on vacation, putting 1,900 miles on it. Was pleasently surprised on it's comfort and handling. I have a bad back and have difficulty with long drives and the seats in the Sonic gave me no problem. Back seat comfort was adequate as well as the leg room. Gas mileage on the highway is fantastic. Only wish it had a bigger gas tank and cruise control. Only issue I have is with a defect in the paint on the hood; looks like a chemical stain underneath the clearcoat. Pointed out to the dealership two months ago and still waiting for a response."

Fun. Cheap.

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pros: "Price. Turbo. Good gas mileage."

At the lot!

"Get the turbo. Fun to drive. Good for price. Good gas mileage. Buy American."

At the lot!

2nd Sonic since 2013

By on Thursday, January 19, 2017

Pros: "Economy Style Comfort"

"I bought a 2013 Sonic LT Sedan with 8 miles on it. I fell in love with the styling. I put 54000 miles on it in 3 years. It never let me down. When it came time to trade in I didn't hesitate with a 2016 Sonic LT sedan. I was sold on the ease of owning one that I didn't look at anything else. I searched online for the best deal. I picked up my 2016 almost 3 years to the day of buying the 2013. The only extra I got was the Driver Confidence Package. This was the Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning. Outside of that it is exactly like the 2013. I got black for the color instead of gray. It shows the dirt sooner but other than that I love it 6 months in with only 7000 miles so far. It is a great value. Great comfort for a small car. Great gas mileage, 27.9 so far on average with 99% city/town driving. I have gotten up to 38 highway just going on the highway for under an hour so far. I love the styling and the lights are what sets it off from the rest of the pack. It isn't Generic looking and you know it's a Sonic from a good distance. Nothing else on the road can compare with the front end. It's what caught my eye in the first place. Looking forward to many years of faithful service from this one. I drive fewer miles now and I still love my car. I've tinted the windows added rain guards on the doors and am going to put fog lights on next. She's a beauty and I'm very happy with her. My dad always called his cars Betsy, but she is called Dasher. Just watch her go. No problem with getting on the highway with the 1.4 turbo. It may only have 138 HP but it feels like a whole lot more. Step on the gas and merging is not a problem. Great car all around."

Great small car!

By on Monday, September 12, 2016

Pros: "Looks, MPG, Safety, Lots of space!"

Cons: "Minor repairs, interior is mostly plastic."

"It's a great little car, very stylish, rides well, and handles great! It fits four 6 foot adults with room to spare in the trunk. There's a lot of room when you fold down the back seats! It's also pretty peppy for its size, if you ask me. It also gets great mpg, I average about 34 mpg with little effort. I also love the dash board, the digital speed and other information is so easy to read, I don't think I could ever go back to regular speedometers now! And the MyLink system is great!"

Great car for teenager.

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage comfortable peppy"

Cons: "Bad resale value interior build quality is cheap"

"I feel there is an issue with my transmission that has not been dealt with by the dealership despite numerous attempts at a diagnoses. Otherwise the car is comfortable to drive, has some pep thanks to the turbo and its cute. Aside form the horrible resale value its a pretty decent car. Brakes are spectacular if you don't mind them a little touchy. The build quality could use some better craftsmanship on the interior. Overall not bad."

Amazing vehicle. I love it!

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, stylish, great gas mileage"

Cons: "would like leather seats and sun roof"

"This car gets amazing gas mileage. The inside is very nice and comfortable. The trunk is shocking; it is huge! I love that you can use Bluetooth and you can sync your Mp3 to it. If you are looking for a great car, go for the Sonic!"

I love this car

By on Saturday, January 14, 2017

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"This is the truly the best car I have ever owned. I have had no problems with it period. Other than normal service and tires I have not one complaint what so ever. I am on the road as much as the average driver and I see how other driver of any make or model drive and it is truly a shame how people abuse their ride. Then people will turn around and rate this car as not good. It is the drivers responseablilty to take good care of their ride and from how I see people drive it is no wonder they have problems with this very nice compact car. I drive and take really good care of my sonic and it is paying off. My advice to anyone is has complaaints about the sonic change you driving habits and stop abusing the sonic.It is a well built very dependable car and I just love it."

Beats the Competition

By on Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, reliability, interior space"

Cons: "not enough pedal space for big footed people"

"This is an excellent car for the money. People who complain about the gas mileage in comparison to other sub compacts need to remember that the Sonic blows the others away in engine power and acceleration. It also drives more substantial than the others because it is somewhat heavier."

So far, so good

By on Saturday, November 5, 2016

Pros: "Good value for dollar"

Cons: "The miles per gallon numbers are lower than stated"

"I have owned this car a year and it has most of the options offered for this model. (LTZ) It has a refined ride, smooth transmission and good road manners. It may be one of the nicest winter cars with a good heater and heated seats. Seems to be put together well. My Link radio is a nice system. My only complaint about the car is the 17 wheels, which are bad news in the snow. I downsized to a set of 16 wheels with aggressive snow tires for the front end during the winter. So far no problems to report."

Great, but I don't love it

By on Friday, August 5, 2016

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable, roomy trunk"

Cons: "Radio touch-panel, digital speedometer, Onstar"

"This car (2016-LT Sedan, 5-sp)does everything I wanted. It has more trunk length than similar cars for transporting my RC planes. The seats are comfortable on a long trip, it rides well, and is quiet. I find that I need to watch the tachometer more when shifting than other cars, because the car is quieter. The things I don't love are things I wouldn't have noticed before driving it a while. The digital-only speedometer display is not as useful as an analog display, because you can't see it "move." I see that they are changing back to analog for 2017. The touch-panel display for the radio is a distraction while driving. There are buttons on the steering wheel to change the volume, but not to change radio stations. You have to take your eyes off the road to find the places on the screen to touch. You can't reach and push buttons by feel. I tried the Onstar services while it was free. We have pushed the SOS button a few times by accident while adjusting the mirror. It was useful to connect a laptop to wifi while driving on a trip. But I find the online data not organized in a way to help me use it. It is data-heavy, and requires lots of clicking. It does not give digestible summary displays. For example, it gives a driver "score," but this score does not take into account my MPG, which to me is primarily important. I made a one-mile trip yesterday, and I got a 0 for my daily driving score because a car drove in front of me in a parking lot, and I had to hit the brakes hard. I can even see online on a map exactly where this happened. The driving score seems to primarily be based on hard braking per mile. Because Onstar does not state the actual formula used, the score is not meaningful to me. I also find that the Onstar calculated MPG is higher than actual. I keep a logbook of every gas fill-up, and my true overall average MPG for the month was 31.0 MPG. This is right where I expect, as the stated MPG is 26 city, 35 highway, and 30 overall. Onstar reports 37 MPG average for the same period. This might be a bug in their software, as that was my peak MPG on a trip during that period. Conclusion: the car does great at what I bought it for. My gripes are mostly with the radio interface and the Onstar subscription that I will let expire, anyway."

It's a great car

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

"The car is perfect but it's a13upgrade to 14"

The LTZ Turbo is a blast to drive!

By on Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage, sporty, fun to drive, great commuter"

Cons: "too small, tight squeeze with a car seat"

"Great gas saver but still sporty enough!"

Awesome car, Fun, Fast and excellent 40 plus MPG.

By on Sunday, December 9, 2012

Pros: "Great Value, great MPG, great fun to drive."

Cons: "Wish I had a center arm rest."

"Decided to sell my 2001 Jeep Cherokee because of fuel economy and started to do the research. I really wanted to stick with domestic so my search was narowed to the Chevy Sonic and the Ford Fiesta and I did not want to wait for the Dodge Dart. Drove the Fiesta and the Sonic and there was no comparison, the Chevy rode better, was quicker, quiet and very comfortable. My research led me to order a sedan LT with the 1.4 Turbo, six speed manual. We have now driven over 5000 miles with a combined fuel avearge of 40MPG since we bought the car. If you are in the market for a subcompact car you really need to check out the Sonic. This car has exceeded all of our expectations and for someone who had not owned a GM vehicle for years it has created a new confidence that we can build a car in Michigan, USA, that can compete with the best in the world. Nice job Chevrolet, and thanks to the Lake Orion workers who have built a world class car. Keep it up!"

A lot of feature for a practical price

By on Monday, April 1, 2013

Pros: "Good gas mileage, great sound system/electronics"

Cons: "Seats stiff, not the most comfortable"

"The Chevrolet Sonic is a very affordable car with good gas mileage and numerous features in the LT model. While the interiors finishing is adequate albeit stiff, it does provide enough for a basic price. The car could use an additional 12V power supply/USB port for the back seat. Overall I would highly recommend this car in comparison to the Cruze that is fetching top dollar."

Great car for fair price

By on Sunday, June 10, 2012

Pros: "safety, fun to drive"

Cons: "nothing, great for its class"

My orange Sonic 2LT sedan with automatic transmission and 1.8 engine at Julia Pfeiffer State Park in California

"I own an orange Sonic 2LT Sedan with automatic transmission and the 1.8 engine. I've driven it through the windy, mountainous roads of Highway 1 in California, been stuck in traffic in San Francisco, gone through country roads near San Jose, and been on a 150 mile straight trip with my Sonic. On the numerous hairpin turns of Highway 1, my Sonic stuck to the road like glue, even at 55mph. It delivered more-than-suitable amounts of power to charge uphill, and the brakes work wonders on the light vehicle going downhill, all while maintaining 33mpg on rugged terrain like that. Stuck in traffic, its engine is extremely quiet and there is absolutely no vibration. The seats are comfortable enough to sit in for copious amounts of time while waiting for red lights to finally change, once again, all while maintaining a cool 27mpg in traffic jams. On long trips, it really struts its stuff in comparison to other cars in its class. Its comfortable and reasonably spacious. I'm 6 feet tall, 170lbs and I don't even have the seat all the way back while i'm driving. I managed to fit 4 people, and their luggage for a plane trip, in this car with suitable leg room and comfort, 5 people might be stretching it though. I registered 39mpg on the highway. Now, the looks. As aforementioned, my Sonic is an orange sedan, so I'm going purely based off of its specific style and my personal opinion. I think the orange paint job really stands out on my Sonic. I also think the sedan looks better than other sedans in its category. Its a small car, but its headlights and front grill give it a mean, sporty look. Also, the all of the exterior lights on it are extremely bright. The interior is hard plastic, but it doesn't look or feel particularly bad. or cheap. The dash lights glow blue, and the gauges are all tubular and motorcycle-like. Overall, the front dash looks somewhat blank, and futuristic. The interior of my Sonic is cloth, and the black clashes well with the orange outside. The safety features on this car are quite vast. It has almost no blind spots, and it comes with 10 standard airbags. Fortunately, I've not experienced those airbags yet. Overall, it drives nicely, and has a lot of features for the price. It doesn't look half bad in the orange sedan option either. The controls are also very easy to become accustomed to. It also has a great price and fuel economy."

my first new car

By on Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pros: "best car gm made ever"

Cons: "not a thing"

"retired a 2000 grand am for my sonic would not give up my sonic for anything best car ever. it's a blue lt turbo seadan"

Good car for the price and my family

By on Saturday, September 24, 2011

Pros: "Great value for the money. Plenty of options in the 2LT."

Cons: "Hard plastic interior. Little hard to handle in strong winds."

"This car is a great value and very reliable...so far. It has plenty of room and the 2LT has all the options that I wanted- cruise, remote start, etc. The hard plastic interior takes some getting used to, but looks good. It handles well enough, but I had to drive through a thunderstorm on the way home from the dealership and it felt a little top heavy and harder to keep straight."

Good car for the money

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

Pros: "Plenty of room, good price, plenty of power,"

Cons: "Hard plastic interior, really light in winds"

"I have driven this car for a while now and I really do like it. It has plenty of power and the gas mileage is really good. If taking car with accelerating and driving a little slower this car can get 40 miles per gallon. I really like the entertainment system and the hands free features. The onstar navigation has helped me alot. There is plenty of room, more than I ever thought possible with such a small car. The car is very quiet with little wind noise. There is plenty of storage for small items everywhere. I like the extra storage compartment above the glovebox and the USB connection within this storage space. There are some things that I have learned to live with though. The hard plastic interior takes a little to get used to. The car sits higher in the rear so seeing behind can be hard. The car is very light, so it is harder to hold straight in strong winds. Its gears does not allow it to coast freely down long hills, but I guess this saves on brakes. These things aren't a deal killer for me. A good sporty car for the price."

LOVE IT!!!

By on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cons: "No trunk release in the car, only on key."

"I love my Sonic. We just had a snow storm with 8 inches. The Sonic was great! My husband calles her the beast because she went through it like nothing. Love the safety!"

nice car really surprised

By on Friday, January 20, 2012

Pros: "fair pricing ,fun2 drive ,excellent interior"

Cons: "cup holders,mpg ,"

"after owning a toyota yaris sedan that never got less than 34 mpg that got totaled in an accident i was on the hunt again for an economy car . toyota quit making the sedans and the hatchbacks just arent inviting to me i decided to test the chevy sonic cause i am a chevy fan except for one thing .thier fuel mpg testing must be on pikes peak going downhill or in a vacuum chamber somewhere cause they never get what they say they will. i havnt had the car long and driving it gently hwy mileage has been about 27 to 29 at best which its not broke in yet so im hoping it gets better. besides that i love it .it looks great it does have some pep if needed. i have the 1.8 with auto trans i got the LT for cruise and upgraded sound and got the foglights and 16 "wheels. cup holders in center console are to far back but overall i am pleased if the mpg gets up a little more after break in ill call it a homerun for chevy. right now ill just call it a triple"

I feel like this car was made exactly for me!

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"I went into test driving a Chevy with some reservations. Especially a compact where the market is dominated by foreign cars like KIA, Hyundai, Toyota, and Honda. Boy was I wrong. Lets start from the beginning. I had been driving a KIA that was approaching 100k miles and was in need of a new car that had the best fuel economy available and also a warranty. So I figured I would go back to KIA. I test drove the Rio and was unimpressed. It just didn't do anything for me. Not only the car itself but also the pricing on upgrading a base model to an automatic transmission and power package. After tallying up all of that, I was out of my price range. Since that didnt work out, I figured I would ride it out with what I had and not get a new car. Then I came across the Sonic on the dealerships website. I was first drawn to the look of the front of the exterior. Very sporty looking. Chevy has separated themselves from the pack by dramatically changing the way the front end looks compared with most compacts out on the road. Afterall, this is what you would see coming down the road. Might as well make it look good. So I did alot of research on the Sonic. The only thing that was holding me back was the mileage ratings on the sticker. My KIA was still pumping out 33mpg on average, and the Sonic seemed to be slightly better from what I was reading. I figured I would request a test drive of the Sonic anyways just to stoke my curiosity. From the moment I put it into 1st gear at the dealership and hit the road I was hooked. The car feels solid for being so small. It rides nice and has good insulating qualities for keeping out road and wind noise. I test drove (and purchased)the base model Sonic which is the 5 speed manual, 1.8L engine. It has crank handle windows, but comes standard equipped with keyless entry, power doors and locks, am/fm radio with auxillary input (no cd - no big deal to me). One thing I thought was great with the radio in this car that I had not had before is the ability to store both AM and FM stations on the same favorites list. So. The gas mileage seems to be quite the topic of contention concerning this car and the 1.8L engine in it. To be honest I was a little concerned when I first started driving the Sonic because I was only getting about 34mpg (highway) for the first few hundred miles. However, after hitting the 500 mile mark on the odometer, this car is showing me how economical it can be. This morning, I averaged 42.8 mpg. Unbelievable but true. Granted 37 of the 40 miles I drive to work are freeway miles at speeds 55 to 70 mph. Driving around town does drop the averages down quite a bit to the high 20's / low 30's but still well within reason. My only gripes are minor. When starting the car first thing in the morning it sounds louder than I am used to. Not excessively loud but just enough to make you notice. The radio speaker system they put in the base model barely is adequate and the radio menus are somewhat clunky to navigate. The cup holders are positioned farther back than I would like them to be in the center. The dashboard console is lacking certain features like an always present "engine temperature" that is on most cars. And lastly...I am not particularly fond of pressing "menu" every time I want to switch the console reading from odometer/trip over to avg. mileage/till empty readouts. Independent buttons would have worked just as well. The cons are typically items that are associated with the "bells and whistles" of the car not the mechanical operation. The car as a whole itself is fantastic and I am loving it. This is a solid little car that is fun to drive and should save you some money in the long run. I now look forward to driving again because of my Sonic."

Great Vehicle.

By on Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Pros: "Exterior Design, Seating space, Features, Fuel economy, Handling, Price, Quality."

Cons: "Plastic interior, acceleration, Manual Adjust Seats."

"Chevy finally did something right. I tested the fit, and fiesta. When I got into this car I knew it was going to be mine. It handles like a champ, and I live on a golf course with all types of bends and curves. The car is very quite and smooth. Very easy to hold a conversation, and not worry about wind, and traffic noise. The interior left a bit to be desired. I ultimately upgraded to the leather seats for comfort, and ease of cleaning. I am 6 ft tall but there is plenty of head, leg, shoulder space. I would expect this car to sell for thousands more than it was listed. This car is very solid and I would suggest it to anyone looking for a great city car that is shockingly fun to drive."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Sonic near Honolulu. See local deals