2012 Chevrolet Sonic

Based on 175 Ratings for the 2012 - 2017 models.

Fun. Cheap.

By on Sunday, December 23, 2012

Pros: "Price. Turbo. Good gas mileage."

At the lot!

"Get the turbo. Fun to drive. Good for price. Good gas mileage. Buy American."

At the lot!

I love this car

By on Saturday, January 14, 2017

Pros: "everything"

Cons: "nothing"

"This is the truly the best car I have ever owned. I have had no problems with it period. Other than normal service and tires I have not one complaint what so ever. I am on the road as much as the average driver and I see how other driver of any make or model drive and it is truly a shame how people abuse their ride. Then people will turn around and rate this car as not good. It is the drivers responseablilty to take good care of their ride and from how I see people drive it is no wonder they have problems with this very nice compact car. I drive and take really good care of my sonic and it is paying off. My advice to anyone is has complaaints about the sonic change you driving habits and stop abusing the sonic.It is a well built very dependable car and I just love it."

Great small car!

By on Monday, September 12, 2016

Pros: "Looks, MPG, Safety, Lots of space!"

Cons: "Minor repairs, interior is mostly plastic."

"It's a great little car, very stylish, rides well, and handles great! It fits four 6 foot adults with room to spare in the trunk. There's a lot of room when you fold down the back seats! It's also pretty peppy for its size, if you ask me. It also gets great mpg, I average about 34 mpg with little effort. I also love the dash board, the digital speed and other information is so easy to read, I don't think I could ever go back to regular speedometers now! And the MyLink system is great!"

Great car for teenager.

By on Friday, March 28, 2014

Pros: "Good gas mileage comfortable peppy"

Cons: "Bad resale value interior build quality is cheap"

"I feel there is an issue with my transmission that has not been dealt with by the dealership despite numerous attempts at a diagnoses. Otherwise the car is comfortable to drive, has some pep thanks to the turbo and its cute. Aside form the horrible resale value its a pretty decent car. Brakes are spectacular if you don't mind them a little touchy. The build quality could use some better craftsmanship on the interior. Overall not bad."

Amazing vehicle. I love it!

By on Monday, December 10, 2012

Pros: "Comfortable, stylish, great gas mileage"

Cons: "would like leather seats and sun roof"

"This car gets amazing gas mileage. The inside is very nice and comfortable. The trunk is shocking; it is huge! I love that you can use Bluetooth and you can sync your Mp3 to it. If you are looking for a great car, go for the Sonic!"

Beats the Competition

By on Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, reliability, interior space"

Cons: "not enough pedal space for big footed people"

"This is an excellent car for the money. People who complain about the gas mileage in comparison to other sub compacts need to remember that the Sonic blows the others away in engine power and acceleration. It also drives more substantial than the others because it is somewhat heavier."

So far VERY Happy with 2016 LT Hatchback

By on Monday, February 13, 2017

Pros: "Peppy for a 1.8 L - unique styling - Love it"

Cons: "Back doors do not shut unless you slam them"

"The front end styling is what first caught my eye - no big bug-eyed plastic covers - Handles great - even in the winter with ABS and Traction control. Audio system and sound are great. Even BTooth connects to my cheap Tracfone for hands-free talking. But the pricing is what really sold me. I got the midline LT model with bunches of neat features for under 16000 (Had 1500 rebate - 1500 GM employee discount (my wifes father, and a 1500 down payment). There was an intermittent problem with sound system not turning on but they finally fixed it with a firmware upgrade. ONLY pet Peeve is the rear doors do not shut completely unless you slam them!!!!! I drive it very carefully (minimal revving) - Believing this Sonic will give years of great service."

So far, so good

By on Saturday, November 5, 2016

Pros: "Good value for dollar"

Cons: "The miles per gallon numbers are lower than stated"

"I have owned this car a year and it has most of the options offered for this model. (LTZ) It has a refined ride, smooth transmission and good road manners. It may be one of the nicest winter cars with a good heater and heated seats. Seems to be put together well. My Link radio is a nice system. My only complaint about the car is the 17 wheels, which are bad news in the snow. I downsized to a set of 16 wheels with aggressive snow tires for the front end during the winter. So far no problems to report."

Great, but I don't love it

By on Friday, August 5, 2016

Pros: "Quiet, comfortable, roomy trunk"

Cons: "Radio touch-panel, digital speedometer, Onstar"

"This car (2016-LT Sedan, 5-sp)does everything I wanted. It has more trunk length than similar cars for transporting my RC planes. The seats are comfortable on a long trip, it rides well, and is quiet. I find that I need to watch the tachometer more when shifting than other cars, because the car is quieter. The things I don't love are things I wouldn't have noticed before driving it a while. The digital-only speedometer display is not as useful as an analog display, because you can't see it "move." I see that they are changing back to analog for 2017. The touch-panel display for the radio is a distraction while driving. There are buttons on the steering wheel to change the volume, but not to change radio stations. You have to take your eyes off the road to find the places on the screen to touch. You can't reach and push buttons by feel. I tried the Onstar services while it was free. We have pushed the SOS button a few times by accident while adjusting the mirror. It was useful to connect a laptop to wifi while driving on a trip. But I find the online data not organized in a way to help me use it. It is data-heavy, and requires lots of clicking. It does not give digestible summary displays. For example, it gives a driver "score," but this score does not take into account my MPG, which to me is primarily important. I made a one-mile trip yesterday, and I got a 0 for my daily driving score because a car drove in front of me in a parking lot, and I had to hit the brakes hard. I can even see online on a map exactly where this happened. The driving score seems to primarily be based on hard braking per mile. Because Onstar does not state the actual formula used, the score is not meaningful to me. I also find that the Onstar calculated MPG is higher than actual. I keep a logbook of every gas fill-up, and my true overall average MPG for the month was 31.0 MPG. This is right where I expect, as the stated MPG is 26 city, 35 highway, and 30 overall. Onstar reports 37 MPG average for the same period. This might be a bug in their software, as that was my peak MPG on a trip during that period. Conclusion: the car does great at what I bought it for. My gripes are mostly with the radio interface and the Onstar subscription that I will let expire, anyway."

It's a great car

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

"The car is perfect but it's a13upgrade to 14"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Sonic near Honolulu. See local deals