2012 Chevrolet Malibu

Based on 592 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

First new car!

By on Sunday, November 2, 2008

"I love my malibu! I drive 120 miles a day for work, and i average 30-32 on the highway. love this car, great fit & finish, and great looks. some people have asked me why i bought a cadillac, and i look at them and say "it's just a malibu...", and then they realize it is! My favorite thing about it is the chrome. just enough, not too much. especially the chrome wheel covers.... they fool EVERYONE into thinking i spent the big bucks on real chrome wheels... but theyre just covers!"

GLAD I BOUGHT

By on Friday, July 11, 2008

"This vehicle is amazing!!! I'm very happy with my milage as I am averaging 26.5 mpg both city and highway with my V-6. I got the LTZ and could not be more happy with all the equipment and performance. It's a very solid ride that is equally quiet inside. XM is cool and mine also has blue tooth built in so it's aesy to follow the new law here in California. If you are considering a vehicle in this class the Malibu is truely the best in class."

Love It

By on Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"I haven't had this car but a week, but I totally love it. Chevrolet did a great job in redesigning the Malibu. I test drove a Ford Fusion, Nissan Altima, the Malibu and an Impala. I also looked at the Pontiacs. The Malibu won me over. Its exterior is sporty but classy looking and the interior doesn't lack anything at all. I love the two-tone leather. It drives and rides great!"

Several issues

By on Monday, May 19, 2014

Pros: "handles well on road, good gas mileage"

Cons: "many repairs, difficult to see in reverse"

"Bought car NEW. 5 months old-transmission replaced. At 2 years old, front struts replaced. 3 years old, trunk shock replaced. 3 1/2 years, transmission issues again... Difficult to see when backing up..."

A great car

By on Friday, January 24, 2014

Pros: "A great interior experience"

Cons: "Lacks traction on snow."

"I love this car. The interior is superb. It has all the features I can think of needing. It's roomy enough for a big guy like me. The only gripe is that it is too light in the snow so it has traction issues on snowy days. Otherwise, it rides well and gets good mileage."

Outstanding car; Awesome driving in the city

By on Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pros: "Style, practical, easy to drive, great mileage."

Cons: "Not great for tall people"

"This care is a real beauty. It is a sharp looking car and it is a dream to drive. It is so easy to maneuver in the city with easy start/stop and its turn radius is great. It's easy to park and drive. It gets great mileage and is smooth on the highway. This is the best car I've ever owned."

Have owned for 2 years and had electrical problems

By on Monday, December 2, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, fuel efficient"

Cons: "Electrical problems."

"I have owned the 2010 Malibu 1LT for 2 1/2 years. About a year after purchasing, the air conditioning stopped working (late summer), and the check engine light came on. It started again a few days later. I made it through the summer with the A/C working part time. It started again this spring. I had it checked, and the code read that the engine temp was out of range. I was told to change the thermostat. I did, as well as the sending unit since they are there together. I thought it was fixed, but it has done it again since, probable 6 weeks later. Then the traction light started coming on, and the display read Service ESC, and Service Traction. When this happens, the transmission shifts erratically while going down the road at highway speeds. I am told that this is not under warranty, yet it is related to engine and transmission. All ABS sensors are fine, and these codes come on randomly. If you turn off the engine and re-start, the code goes away, but might come back within minutes."

Love the car!

By on Friday, April 5, 2013

Pros: "Handles great, nice power"

"I have the loaded LTZ model. This is my first sedan ever! The transition took about 2 weeks. I still love my old car and the Malibu didn't really feel like an upgrade. Yes its much newer than my other car and has a sunroof but my old car has leather same as Malibu and it is supercharged. After I accepted the fact Im getting older and want an "adult" car lol I really like the lines of the car inside and out. I was pleasantly surprised by the power since I thought I was downgrading from my previous supercharged car. I love the storage on the dash. This car rides MUCH smoother than my previous sport suspension car but the handling is just as tight as a sport car. The Leather and the dash trim are nice. It is a sharp sporty yet sophisticated car with all the power I need and the comforts I enjoy. Very happy with my first sedan purchase!"

Alright

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun and comfortable to drive in clear weather"

Cons: "Transmission skipping/not responding on occasion"

"I'll start with saying that this is the newest car I've ever owned as all my other vehicles have been at least 6+ years old when I owned them and almost constantly had problems so I am a bit biased towards my Malibu. This car has plenty of interior space for passengers, which can comfortably sit an averave fully grown man in the back seat. The seats are very comfortable and it rides smoothly. In having the car for a year I've needed to replace the steering column assembly because the original was faulty and rattling around within the housing. I've had issues with the transmission skipping or not responding immediately on occasion, however the mechanics said that it is either a timing issue with the computer or an issue with dirty intake system (the air intake has already been cleaned and the computer checked, yet the issue still persists). A con of this car is if you live in the Midwest or colder states is how poorly it handles the snow. The traction control system helps in handling slick snow-packed areas, but I find that I feel a sense of a lack of control when driving. This could be due to a combination of the type of tires that came with the car, the weight of the car, and the lifeless feeling in the stealing wheel. A suggestion would to put all weather tires on the vehicle. Something that takes getting use to is the lifeless gas pedal. I've been told that the gas pedal is not connected to the accelerator but is rather connected to a computer (possibly two computers) and then the computer is connected to the acceleratior. So if you love the feel of power in the pedal, definitely go with a different car. Overall, this car is fun to drive especially in spring to fall weather."

. the

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "body style, cabin style, fuel econ. Like it a lot"

Cons: "head light swich, ex arm rest, torque steer"

"Just bought this Malibu. It has the LTZ package with the 6 cylinder 6 speed slapstick transmission. Car looks great, runs great, and would put it up against any other in its class. I bought it out of town. The trip home was 100 miles. The terrain was varied with hills and flats. The car's average MPG was 40. Speed driven was below 75. Now that it is in full time service it gets, on average in town 24. Needless to say I was ecstatic over this There are some cons to the car. I am 6'2" 210. 1 Getting in and out of the car is a task. there is a armrest extension that hits my butt when I get in. I have learned that I just don't get in it like a bigger car. 2. The trunk is about worthless. It does have the pass through rear seats so that might help a little. Have yet to put anything in it. 3. The high / low headlight switch is a push verity instead of a pull. Someone with small hands will have to reach for it. As for mechanical I have only found one thing so far that causes me concern. While in manual shift mode, the shift from 3rd to 2nd produces massive torque steer. This only happens in these two gears. I will not be doing this shift when it is icy or wet out."