2012 Chevrolet Malibu

Based on 592 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

Outstanding car; Awesome driving in the city

By on Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Pros: "Style, practical, easy to drive, great mileage."

Cons: "Not great for tall people"

"This care is a real beauty. It is a sharp looking car and it is a dream to drive. It is so easy to maneuver in the city with easy start/stop and its turn radius is great. It's easy to park and drive. It gets great mileage and is smooth on the highway. This is the best car I've ever owned."

Have owned for 2 years and had electrical problems

By on Monday, December 2, 2013

Pros: "Comfortable, fuel efficient"

Cons: "Electrical problems."

"I have owned the 2010 Malibu 1LT for 2 1/2 years. About a year after purchasing, the air conditioning stopped working (late summer), and the check engine light came on. It started again a few days later. I made it through the summer with the A/C working part time. It started again this spring. I had it checked, and the code read that the engine temp was out of range. I was told to change the thermostat. I did, as well as the sending unit since they are there together. I thought it was fixed, but it has done it again since, probable 6 weeks later. Then the traction light started coming on, and the display read Service ESC, and Service Traction. When this happens, the transmission shifts erratically while going down the road at highway speeds. I am told that this is not under warranty, yet it is related to engine and transmission. All ABS sensors are fine, and these codes come on randomly. If you turn off the engine and re-start, the code goes away, but might come back within minutes."

Love the car!

By on Friday, April 5, 2013

Pros: "Handles great, nice power"

"I have the loaded LTZ model. This is my first sedan ever! The transition took about 2 weeks. I still love my old car and the Malibu didn't really feel like an upgrade. Yes its much newer than my other car and has a sunroof but my old car has leather same as Malibu and it is supercharged. After I accepted the fact Im getting older and want an "adult" car lol I really like the lines of the car inside and out. I was pleasantly surprised by the power since I thought I was downgrading from my previous supercharged car. I love the storage on the dash. This car rides MUCH smoother than my previous sport suspension car but the handling is just as tight as a sport car. The Leather and the dash trim are nice. It is a sharp sporty yet sophisticated car with all the power I need and the comforts I enjoy. Very happy with my first sedan purchase!"

Alright

By on Saturday, March 16, 2013

Pros: "Fun and comfortable to drive in clear weather"

Cons: "Transmission skipping/not responding on occasion"

"I'll start with saying that this is the newest car I've ever owned as all my other vehicles have been at least 6+ years old when I owned them and almost constantly had problems so I am a bit biased towards my Malibu. This car has plenty of interior space for passengers, which can comfortably sit an averave fully grown man in the back seat. The seats are very comfortable and it rides smoothly. In having the car for a year I've needed to replace the steering column assembly because the original was faulty and rattling around within the housing. I've had issues with the transmission skipping or not responding immediately on occasion, however the mechanics said that it is either a timing issue with the computer or an issue with dirty intake system (the air intake has already been cleaned and the computer checked, yet the issue still persists). A con of this car is if you live in the Midwest or colder states is how poorly it handles the snow. The traction control system helps in handling slick snow-packed areas, but I find that I feel a sense of a lack of control when driving. This could be due to a combination of the type of tires that came with the car, the weight of the car, and the lifeless feeling in the stealing wheel. A suggestion would to put all weather tires on the vehicle. Something that takes getting use to is the lifeless gas pedal. I've been told that the gas pedal is not connected to the accelerator but is rather connected to a computer (possibly two computers) and then the computer is connected to the acceleratior. So if you love the feel of power in the pedal, definitely go with a different car. Overall, this car is fun to drive especially in spring to fall weather."

. the

By on Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pros: "body style, cabin style, fuel econ. Like it a lot"

Cons: "head light swich, ex arm rest, torque steer"

"Just bought this Malibu. It has the LTZ package with the 6 cylinder 6 speed slapstick transmission. Car looks great, runs great, and would put it up against any other in its class. I bought it out of town. The trip home was 100 miles. The terrain was varied with hills and flats. The car's average MPG was 40. Speed driven was below 75. Now that it is in full time service it gets, on average in town 24. Needless to say I was ecstatic over this There are some cons to the car. I am 6'2" 210. 1 Getting in and out of the car is a task. there is a armrest extension that hits my butt when I get in. I have learned that I just don't get in it like a bigger car. 2. The trunk is about worthless. It does have the pass through rear seats so that might help a little. Have yet to put anything in it. 3. The high / low headlight switch is a push verity instead of a pull. Someone with small hands will have to reach for it. As for mechanical I have only found one thing so far that causes me concern. While in manual shift mode, the shift from 3rd to 2nd produces massive torque steer. This only happens in these two gears. I will not be doing this shift when it is icy or wet out."

This is the best car I have ever owned.

By on Monday, February 13, 2012

Pros: "Everything is excellent"

Cons: "Radio Tuner knob broke, cannot find a replacement"

"The car still has the original rear brakes. Only normal maintenance item have been done. I did switch to Mobil 1 at 125000 miles. Only on 3rd set of tires. Getting 29 MPH. Love this car."

This Malibu drove like a champ In Hurricane Irene

By on Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Pros: "The smooth ride"

1st night arrived home with 11Malibu Ambient lighting

"Ironically I had taken a test drive on the Malibu with the intent to actually rule it out. I really thought I would stick with German engineering that I've always happend to favor"

1st night arrived home with 11Malibu Ambient lighting

2nd Malibu

By on Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Pros: "Price, Handling, Ride, Mileage"

Cons: "Interior Plastics"

"Owned a 2009 Malibu LS with over 60,000 miles, traded for a 2011 LT. Great gas mileage (over 32 hwy) handling and ride. The six speed is much better with the four cylinder and provides better starts than the previous four speed. We used to drive Audi, Land Rover and Infiniti but the high initial cost and continuing cost of ownership didn't make much sense. Chevy was half the initial cost and we had no problems with the LS or LT yet in over 60,000 miles."

love this car

By on Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pros: "easy to drive, comfortable, goes great in the snow"

Cons: "have nothing to say against this car"

"never got stuck all winter when other cars could not get through the snow or were sliding, my Malibe was great"

very disappointed

By on Sunday, February 6, 2011

"I bought a 2011 Malibu, had it back to dealership 9 times in less than 2 months. First time it was due to the dealship selling me a car full of hail damage. Then a bad tire, kept going flat then the driveside wiper was not working, it liked to "jack rabbit" at take off, maybe all just minor issues, but all within 2 mos and less than 750 miles, finally on 10th trip to dealership I asked for a full refund and went elsewhere to buy a new car. I really liked the style, the color of the car and its options but I just did not have time to be inconvenience with constant repairs."

amazed

By on Thursday, September 23, 2010

"I was looking for a car obviously and the man in me was immediately drawn to the camaro v6, simply put if you look at the gear ratio and track times, the v6 is faster by a hair than the v8 ss for a lot cheaper. I entered the camaro, turned it on, and fell in love. when I was finished I drove back to the dealer and what stopped me from going home with it that day was the words, daddy you go fast, and realized in my bliss my 3year old in the back looked like a giant, and there is no reasonable way to justify that car to anyone with a young child. Started looking and saw the impala and malibu test drove both and fell in love with the malibu, the LTZ has a comfor level and it just absorbs you into the seats. the Interior clashes with the exterior, two tone leather and dash, but when the lights go out the ambient lighting and all the nifty features blow my mind. the paddle shifters that the vette's imploy. I mean this is a sedan and I usually have an slighted look towards said vehicles. I'm a sports or truck person. I think that if the gas savings and safety features wheren't what they were I would have completely overlooked this gem. I've owned it for 6 months. and haven't had any problems except for the factory faulted air conditioner didn't shut the flap from the outside for max air. Not a big problem seeing as the chevy bumper to bumper cover's everything. Overall very satisfied. I gave it a ding for 4 star's simply for the dashes over usage of plastic parts. It appears to be made up of other material but def plastic."

Great First New Car-but has problems

By on Saturday, September 4, 2010

"Immediately noticed a slight shimmy in the frontend and pull to the left. Took back to dealer and they could not find problem but did a wheel alignment. After 6 months shimmy continued but now the pull was to the right. Had them rotate tires, fixed problem. They charged me and would not cover under warranty-disappointing! Have had a slight rattle (since day one) in the right rear deck area - I sustpect the speaker has something touching it since it rattles when bass is turned up. The dealer says they can't locate the problem. Now, there's a loud popping sound when we sit and when we exit the driver's seat. It's back to the dealer for yet another warranty claim. Hopefully, they will repair it. Overall we love the car. We drove it on a 3200 mile road trip to the east coast. Got 32 MPG (not bad since we have the 6-cyl) and was comfortable to ride. We have the Red Jewel Coat color and it's hard to keep clean...but look awesome when washed."

Safe Car

By on Saturday, July 24, 2010

"I owned my 2009 Malibu LT for 20 months and was very pleased with it. The only complaints were noisy brakes (fixed under warranty) and a little hesitation on acceleration. My Malibu was recently rear-ended on the freeway and was totaled. IT did an excellent job of absorbing the impact allowing me to walk away from the experience without major injuries."

Awesome vehicle

By on Monday, March 29, 2010

"I love love love my malibu. I got the malibu in September 2009. It is not only a very comfortable car but it is very nice looking on the outside and inside. I actually get a little better mileage than it says. I get about 24 in the city and 30-32 on the highway. I was recently involved in a car accident on the 12th of March and it held up very well. I was hit by a large chevy truck on the driver's side and all of the damage was cosmetic and I barely felt the impact. I would highly recommend this car to anyone!"

Great value

By on Friday, February 26, 2010

"Great car for the price. I paid only $24,100 for a car with $30,000 sticker (a leftover 2009). It has more features than my 2008 CTS at about 15k less. It is difficult to tell which car you are driving and the interior is just as well done at tehe Caddy."

My Caddy in disguise

By on Wednesday, February 17, 2010

"This car's been fantastic. I bought it right before GM declared bankruptcy, so I really got a good deal on it. But aside from the price, the comfort and styling is more glamorous than some $50k cars I've driven. It also snowed about a week after I bought it, but this Chevy plowed right through it like a champ (albeit, probably due to the 3500lbs weight of the car). The only downsides are that due to that weight, I don't think this car should have a 4cyl engine, I'd definitely buy the 6cyl instead. As for MPG, since I'm in stop and go traffic all the time I average 24....also have a lead foot."

By on Tuesday, December 29, 2009

"Chevy has put it all together in the 2009 Malibu. Don't bother with the 6, the 4 has all the power you need and great fuel mileage. I drive 130 miles a day to work and home. I love this car. I ride very comfortable and I'm 6' tall and over 200 lbs."

Good Car!

By on Wednesday, December 9, 2009

"I love this car; it looks great and runs like a champ! Gas mileage is ok, but could be better for the size car that it is. I have a 4 cylinder and recommend getting a 6 as the pickup when pulling out into tight spots etc. is not great. Don't risk a tight space between cars. Also, the view from the drivers seat when turning is a little limited because the side panels are wider than I would like. All in all though it's a great little car with many standard features!"

Sweet Ride

By on Monday, December 7, 2009

"It is early as I have only a little under a month and 575 miles on this beauty but boy do I love it so far. Downsized from the 08 Trailblazer which I loved but killed me at the pump with all the city driving I do.For under 23,000 for the LT model I couldn't ask for more! My teenage nephews and niece couldn't believe it when I pulled up to take them out the first Sunday afternoon, they said they didn't know the malibu looked that nice haha So far it drives like a dream, has a very peppy 4 cyl and looks amazing for the price. The gas has improved a little so far to 17.5 from the first tank so I expect that to get better with age as all cars do but I do drive about 99% city and almost no highway ever so we shall see. My son is only 3 but calls it the cool car lmao. I do agree with one complaint I have read but it is minor. The front doors could use another 2-3 inches when they open as sometimes if I am in a hurry I hit the emergency brake on my way in but like I said no big deal really. I also love the on star for a year and the XM now that I have experienced it will keep it for only 10 bucks a month after the 3 month trial. I will try to remember to review after 6-12 months to see how she is holding up :)"

Driving the heck out of it

By on Wednesday, October 14, 2009

"Bought it in Jan 2008. Now have 28000 miles on it. So far, so good. Its a comfortable confident drive. Rear door lock doesnt always work. Hit the heater switch a couple of times. Had a tree branch fall on the rear quarter panel and had that fixed. A few nails in the tires (love the PSI indicator). Took it on a few road trips, got about 31 mpg with the V6 Ltz. Drove up to Maine from TN and it was a great drive. Its not fussy. Its not being pampered. It's still nice and tight. Doesnt look like the Avalon pictured above with the reviews, LOL. Wonder why KBB does that? Just seems to keep on keepin on the way I want a car to do."

very sporty

By on Thursday, September 3, 2009

"very nice ride comfortable smooth yet very sporty with the 6 speed slap shifter and great on gas recently drove to ft lauderdale fla from central new jersey (edison) cost of fuel was a whopping 75 dollars in my words just a great overall car i own the black granite metalic with sunroof chrome premium 17 inch wheels a real eye catcher so if you are in the market to purchase the lt1 go for it you wont regret it. paid 22,500 tax title and plates included cash money mrsp was 25,995"

I love my Mailbu LTZ!

By on Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"I researched cars for almost 10 weeks and test drove the Sonata, Camry, Fusion and Accord before buying the Malibu LTZ. I love the 6-speed automatic-4cyl combination, which is getting me excellent gas mileage. I held out until Chevy put out the all-ebony leather interior instead of being forced to get the two-tone, and I'm glad I did. The ride is ultra quiet and so comfortable, and the OnStar and satellite radio are a treat for someone like me who travels 3-4 days a week. I debated between the LTZ and the Accord, but couldn't justify the Accord's higher price and lesser features. Even though I never though I'd buy American again, Chevy got this one right."

Best value out there

By on Friday, May 1, 2009

"I bought the LT1 about six months ago, and couldn't be happier. I've owned and driven a lot of cars, but the new Malibu is by far the best deal for the money. I had no intention of buying the Malibu when I visited the local dealer, but took it for a drive because a guy at the club has one and has been raving about it for months. I now know why he's so enthusastic. The car rides like a Caddy and in my opinion is better looking. It is by far the most quiet car I've been in with the exception of the big Lexus (which costs around 80 grand). Ride and handling in the Chevy is the best in its class. All for under $21,000! Before buying a Camry or Accord do yourself a favor and try the Malibu. You'll buy it."

Still Loving it

By on Sunday, November 30, 2008

"9 months into ownership, and I still am loving the car. I have an LTZ with every bell and whistle. Just drove down to FL for the weekend. Drove great, got about 28.9 mpg in driving (would have been better, but half the drive was not interstate). I have a long commute, and it is very nice to drive. Best features: Remote start, OnStar, Tire pressure monitors, Auto Climate Control, Steering wheel audio controls. Still smooth ride, still solid feel. Wish it had a bigger gas tank, but I cant complain about mileage. EZ to accidentally hit the seat heater switch, but when your butt starts getting toasty for no reason, then just check the seat heater button."

the best most reliable vehicle Ive owned so far

By on Saturday, April 5, 2014

Pros: "onstar, excellent turn radius, smooth driving"

Cons: "a little too low for the front end prot. guard"

"The malibu is a hands down comfortable well driving vehicle. Its very roomy for the trips we have made and the onstar navigation/car phone has come in very handy. Automatic tire presure reader has also been a blessing. We love the online data uplink the vehicle can send for diagnostics."