2008 Chevrolet Malibu

Based on 592 Ratings for the 2008 - 2012 models.

2009 Malibu LT

By on Saturday, February 6, 2010

"I traded my Nissan Altima for a car which I though was of comparable value. I was wrong. It is much better. Smoother, quieter ride with more extras for the same price. I have had the Malibu for almost a year and it has been great. The only short coming compared to the Altima was that the Altima got slighly higher gas mileage."

Electrical gremlins kept car grounded about a year

By on Sunday, July 31, 2016

Pros: "Comfort, roomy, quiet-smooth ride, extra features"

Cons: "Steering, Reliability, Clunky front suspension"

"GM Recall kept this car as my 'Town Car' for about a year. In other words, I didn't dare take it out of town. Finally a fix was found and all has been well for a year. (Stop lights would come on independent of brake petal operation...or go OFF when the brakes were applied.) Hard to check your stoplight status when the car is in motion...tho some reflection is seen in rear window at night from the high mount brake light. Finally saw this in daytime when outside the car, engine running and no one in the driver's seat. Stop lights on full intensity, and they'd stay on for extended periods of time at idle or on the road. Also, at times occurring with this, the cruise control would dump and I'd get occasional check engine light on the dash. At odd intervals, the cruise would again operate, no apparent pattern. GM fix admitted to loose control module, vibration induced, sometimes moisture induced, causing corrosion in module terminals. Intermittent occurring...had to find a time when car was in malfunction state and scoot over to the dealer so they could 'SEE'. Finally did this, they tried several fixes that failed, and I then filed federal safety complaint via on-line format and received answer. Some months later, GM announced intent to examine this and POSSIBLY issue recall. Eventually it all fell into place and I got the official GM notice of recall for my specific VIN. But, parts not yet available, thus would be notified when they came in. I was not...had to keep bugging the local dealer who one day said they'd had that recall 'fix' for some time. Got it corrected the next day. Still had to go thru the hoops with GM to get my earlier spent money back for two failed pre-recall 'fixes'...and that took time. Several phone calls, several E-mails, dealer finally told me to come and and collect my check from their local dealer operations fund. Too much corporate layering to step through. Long time...and I more then 'earned' my $185.00 refund for the eventual 'fix'. otherwise.... Some rattles in the front suspension make it sound cheap, but mostly it is fairly quiet inside. Credit laminate in front side window for this, I believe. The Steering/Handling feel is so- so. Not precise, a bit to heavy and labored feeling. Wide turn radius, compared to other cars. The car feels heavier than it is. MPG about average and 'as advertised' on the sticker but I can do a little better with an all day Interstate cruise, speed steady, minimum stops. Winter, in town, 20 - 22 mph consistent. All this from the Eco-Tech 2.5 liter four cylinder, the basic engine. A fairly good family car or an 'old man's' car. Visibility to rear and sides is limited...backup camera would help and window redesign would make it better. But I compare this to the greenhouse glass cars of the 50s & 60s with excellent rear and side views, thin pillars, no headrests, etc. Yup, I'm an 'old man !"

Best vehicle I have ever owned!

By on Saturday, August 17, 2013

Pros: "Price, Comfort, Reliability, Look, Features"

"My experience with my 2011 Malibu LT2 has been fantastic! The drive is smooth and the car itself is sharp! Plenty of features to make the vehicle fun (aux audio input, XM radio, heated seats). Years ago my parents purchased a Malibu and now (2013) it is driving fantastic with low maintenance. With this knowledge I decided to purchase used and I couldn't be happier! I applaud Chevrolet on the work and dedication to this model. My 3 year old son and I have enjoyed every trip in this vehicle whether it is just to see family and friends, go to work or daycare!"

I have had only minor issues. Love this car!

By on Tuesday, May 28, 2013

"I purchased this car for my daughter because it was rated one of the top safest cars on the market. We have had minor electrical problems, and one major problem that had something to do with a "rocker arm"? Anyway $1000 later, we still have it, and it still drives like new, good on gas, and quite comfortable, as you can see by the 175,000 miles it has on it! I only wish I had a moon roof, navigation system and the "on star". That would really be sweet:) I am going to trade it in soon, and upgrade this vehicle."

Stylish and Reliable

By on Saturday, April 27, 2013

Pros: "Attractive, very smooth ride, very comfortable"

Cons: "small rear windshield, cup holders could be bigger"

"This is my first Malibu, my first Chevy actually, and I've been very happy with this car. The car itself is attractive inside and out. The engine could be a bit more responsive, but I opted for the 4 cylinder instead of the V6. The ride is very smooth, so much so that I occasionally find myself going 80mph without realizing it. If you're looking for a reliable midsize sedan and don't want to be stuck in something boring, check out the Malibu."