2005 Chevrolet Malibu

8.1

Based on 1009 Ratings for the 2004 - 2007 models.

By on Friday, January 30, 2009

"I obtained this car out of a deal with a dealership after having bought a different make that was a lemon. Let me say that this car was not my first choice and I never would have considered buying a Malibu on my own. But I have owned this car for 3 years and have put over 97,000 miles on it without a single problem. The only thing I have had to replace is both sets of brake pads, which I consider to be routine maintenance, and not unreasonable considering the mileage I have put on. It gets great gas mileage and is very comfortable. This is truly the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned."

2006 Malibu, 230,000 miles and going strong. 4CYL

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "Good MPG, Ice Cold A/C, Great Radio!"

Cons: "Its a 4 cylinder, Ehhhh... Hubcaps rattle, A LOT!"

"This HAS to be the BEST car I have EVER owned. Currently pumping out 230,000 miles with issues so minimal it is almost unreal. I did have to replace the control arms and struts at around 225K. (I'm still not sure struts were needed) The check engine light has came on once, for a completely wore out thermostat around 215K. The only electrical issues I have came across is the key less entry system, no longer works and the power door lock switches are starting to get tired. Nothing else. I haven't forgot anything! Just typical routine maintenance any car would need! SO MUCH better then my previous Ford! (I sent the Ford to the graveyard at 192K and worried the last 50K miles worth! LOL) My 06 Chevy still runs strong, leave me feeling confident to go wherever I want and I am just going to keep on driving it until it is dead!"

Have been very impressed

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "Nice ride, lots of room inside, good gas mileage"

Cons: "not cute"

"I purchased this car with 29,000 miles on it in 2008. It has done a lot of business travel with me, now in 2014 it has 186,000 miles on it. It has the typical rattle in the dash "turn up the radio" type noise. I have only done maintenance items on this car. The passenger seat airbag sensor has been off for years but other than that no problems what so ever. I have been very impressed with this car. I would recommend it to anyone who is finding a decent mileage used one."

Bought it for my kid

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"I was so impressed with the value+performance+capability package of the 2003 Malibu which I bought for my oldest kid, that a few months later I bought a 2004 Malibu for my next kid. The younger kid only uses it lightly for local short trips, so the miles have not piled up. Even so, reliability is 100% perfect. Next year she'll be away to college with it, and I'm confident in it. As GM typically does, the car has abundant power. As is a new trend with GM, the car has good fuel economy. That is, a GM V-6 powered mid-sized sedan gets 30 mpg on highway trips. There is one trip I take occasionally involving twisty-turny mountain roads near Austin, TX. The thumb-rocker control on the automatic transmission makes safely navigating that trip a breeze. In my other cars, it's not so easy. My daughter likes all the convenience features of this car, so I'll add that GM has done well at making a car that delivers a pleasant user experience. I've had the car for 4+ years now. According to this web site, the '04 LS model is worth about 60% more than the '03 base model. Maybe so, but they are both fine cars for the price paid."

Powerful and Roomy

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "V6 standard, Reliable, and huge interior"

Cons: "V6 can suck up your gas, takes turns hard"

"I bought my Malibu Maxx at 50,000 miles from a rental agency I worked at at the time, and after some repairs to the brakes (they were rusted from inactivity), this car has made me a happy man. I am 6'5", and this car can handle my tall, fat family (up to 5 full-sized adults) with no problems. The fold-down rear seats also saved my skin when having to move home from college, easily taking most of my stuff in two trips. I've had it on highways, gravel roads, and no roads, and I've never had any problems with power or mobility. The V6 has surprisingly good get-up-and-go, and can power up steeper grade highway hills with ease. If drive like an old man and don't use the power of the V6, I can easily get a consistent 23 mi/gal. On pure highway, can get all the way up to 30+ mi/gal! Only recently have I had any problems with it; it almost overheated, which was fixed with a new water pump and serpentine belt. With most of the "old car" repairs (repairs done around 80,000 miles) done, I fully expect this car to last another 100,000 miles. I highly recommend this vehicle to any starting family on a budget."