2004 Chevrolet Malibu

8.1

Based on 1008 Ratings for the 2004 - 2007 models.

By on Friday, January 30, 2009

"I obtained this car out of a deal with a dealership after having bought a different make that was a lemon. Let me say that this car was not my first choice and I never would have considered buying a Malibu on my own. But I have owned this car for 3 years and have put over 97,000 miles on it without a single problem. The only thing I have had to replace is both sets of brake pads, which I consider to be routine maintenance, and not unreasonable considering the mileage I have put on. It gets great gas mileage and is very comfortable. This is truly the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned."

2006 Malibu, 230,000 miles and going strong. 4CYL

By on Thursday, October 13, 2011

Pros: "Good MPG, Ice Cold A/C, Great Radio!"

Cons: "Its a 4 cylinder, Ehhhh... Hubcaps rattle, A LOT!"

"This HAS to be the BEST car I have EVER owned. Currently pumping out 230,000 miles with issues so minimal it is almost unreal. I did have to replace the control arms and struts at around 225K. (I'm still not sure struts were needed) The check engine light has came on once, for a completely wore out thermostat around 215K. The only electrical issues I have came across is the key less entry system, no longer works and the power door lock switches are starting to get tired. Nothing else. I haven't forgot anything! Just typical routine maintenance any car would need! SO MUCH better then my previous Ford! (I sent the Ford to the graveyard at 192K and worried the last 50K miles worth! LOL) My 06 Chevy still runs strong, leave me feeling confident to go wherever I want and I am just going to keep on driving it until it is dead!"

Have been very impressed

By on Monday, December 15, 2014

Pros: "Nice ride, lots of room inside, good gas mileage"

Cons: "not cute"

"I purchased this car with 29,000 miles on it in 2008. It has done a lot of business travel with me, now in 2014 it has 186,000 miles on it. It has the typical rattle in the dash "turn up the radio" type noise. I have only done maintenance items on this car. The passenger seat airbag sensor has been off for years but other than that no problems what so ever. I have been very impressed with this car. I would recommend it to anyone who is finding a decent mileage used one."

Bought it for my kid

By on Tuesday, October 14, 2008

"I was so impressed with the value+performance+capability package of the 2003 Malibu which I bought for my oldest kid, that a few months later I bought a 2004 Malibu for my next kid. The younger kid only uses it lightly for local short trips, so the miles have not piled up. Even so, reliability is 100% perfect. Next year she'll be away to college with it, and I'm confident in it. As GM typically does, the car has abundant power. As is a new trend with GM, the car has good fuel economy. That is, a GM V-6 powered mid-sized sedan gets 30 mpg on highway trips. There is one trip I take occasionally involving twisty-turny mountain roads near Austin, TX. The thumb-rocker control on the automatic transmission makes safely navigating that trip a breeze. In my other cars, it's not so easy. My daughter likes all the convenience features of this car, so I'll add that GM has done well at making a car that delivers a pleasant user experience. I've had the car for 4+ years now. According to this web site, the '04 LS model is worth about 60% more than the '03 base model. Maybe so, but they are both fine cars for the price paid."

Powerful and Roomy

By on Monday, July 21, 2014

Pros: "V6 standard, Reliable, and huge interior"

Cons: "V6 can suck up your gas, takes turns hard"

"I bought my Malibu Maxx at 50,000 miles from a rental agency I worked at at the time, and after some repairs to the brakes (they were rusted from inactivity), this car has made me a happy man. I am 6'5", and this car can handle my tall, fat family (up to 5 full-sized adults) with no problems. The fold-down rear seats also saved my skin when having to move home from college, easily taking most of my stuff in two trips. I've had it on highways, gravel roads, and no roads, and I've never had any problems with power or mobility. The V6 has surprisingly good get-up-and-go, and can power up steeper grade highway hills with ease. If drive like an old man and don't use the power of the V6, I can easily get a consistent 23 mi/gal. On pure highway, can get all the way up to 30+ mi/gal! Only recently have I had any problems with it; it almost overheated, which was fixed with a new water pump and serpentine belt. With most of the "old car" repairs (repairs done around 80,000 miles) done, I fully expect this car to last another 100,000 miles. I highly recommend this vehicle to any starting family on a budget."

great family car

By on Monday, April 28, 2008

"I love my malibu. I was looking for a car that had enough room for two rear facing car seats in the back seat and the truck room for a double stroller. This had it all! I am very satified."

Too many problems

By on Friday, December 28, 2007

"I bought my 2006 Malibu in March of 2007. Since then I have had starter problems, (when I turn the key, it won't come on), clunking in the steering, which I just found out is leaking struts. The doors keep swinging shut. The car itself gets pretty good mileage, about 25 in the city and about 32-35 on the highway. It's a comfortable car to drive. Lots of get up and go but when turning corners in rain, the car skids a bit. My car is kind of a cranberry color. Very pretty."

I would buy one again

By on Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Pros: "Great price, gets great gas mileage"

Cons: "Nothing comes to mind"

"I've had my car almost ten years and (knock on wood) I have had no major issues with it. It gets great gas mileage and rides/drives well on long trips. I'm 5' tall so I feel that it is very roomy; however, my husband is 6' tall and he's not as comfortable in my car. My current mileage is about 180,000 and I'm still getting almost the same mpg as I was when I first bought it (approx 28 in the city; closer to 35 on the highway). I believe I definitely got my money's worth out of this car and I would buy another Malibu."

Great car

By on Thursday, August 22, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive,great gas mileage"

Cons: "problem with electric window back passanger side"

"I just Love this care good on gas comfortable easy to drive got new tires on the front but due to husband passing can not afford the payments asking 6000.00 just to pay off or take over payments already paying for another car with less payments to go.it's a maroon color."

Nice Car

By on Friday, March 27, 2009

"I really like this car. This is the second Maxx I have owned. It's has good power for passing and gets good gas milage. I really like all the room the car has. It's also very comfortable. I dive 30,000 miles per year and I am very comfortable in the car. It also does very well in the snow. Overall this is a great car, I'm sad they don't make the maxx any more!!!!!!!!"

exceeding my expectations

By on Monday, March 23, 2009

"i bought my malibu used through my employer and have put 10000 miles on it since purchase. so far it has been problem free. what it lacks in style it makes up for in space, ergonomics, and utility. my ecotec powered model also averages 31mpg which is great on my wallet. i would recommend this car to anyone"

Overlooked and underrated!

By on Tuesday, November 25, 2008

"I bought this car as a second choice, but ended up loving it! PROS: heated leather seats, sunroof, rear DVD, and more, all for less than $23k brand new! We averaged 31 mpg on a two day trip averaging 65-79 m.p.h. Rear seats (and front passenger seat) all fold flat for amazing cargo hauling! With the slide/recline function of the rear seats, legroom is unsurpassed (for a car in this price range). Heated seats are great for cold weather and the car handles pretty good on snowy/icy roads. CONS: Styling, while unique, doesn't exactly draw crowds. I hate to say it, but the typical GM downfalls affect this car: minor mechanical malfunctions that don't keep the car from running, but are annoying nonetheless. Such as: windshield cowling rattle (fixed), headlight jiggle (fixed), vanity mirror covers broke off (fixed), steering rack clunk (deciding if I want to pay to get it fixed or not). All of these things are easily tended to, but they shouldn't need to be. I really want to love domestic cars and buy American (this is my fourth Chevy), but the older I get, the more I want a car that functions like...well, a Honda, guess. I've heard the new generation Malibu raises the game. Let's hope so, for GM's sake."

Never Again

By on Thursday, July 19, 2007

"I have had a series of problems with the power steering and steering linkage. The dealership seemed incapable of a permanent fix to this problem"

HUGE Disappointment

By on Friday, July 13, 2007

"This is a great looking, fun and comfortable little car to drive, and when it's not in the shop, it drives well, accellerates welll and handles very well. Other than that it has been an enormous disappointment. Power steering has been an issue from Day 1. Just finished paying ANOTHER $700+ to the dealer to fix it again, and looking at another $400+ to fix the clunking noise in the steering column that they tell me is a problem with all the Malibus because of a defective part. But it won't kill you like bad power steering might... My power steering went out in the middle of rush hour traffic in DC metro area this time. First time it went out and stranded me (a gal, ALONE) in the middle of the night on the interstate. I was driving along and suddenly I had no control. Pretty scary. Air bags didn't deploy when I got T-boned hard enough to push the car 24 feet, also scary...The side front and rear air bags were a big selling feature for me. Would have been nice if they had worked. Lots of little things have gone wrong since the beginning. I have a mysterious leak that soaks my back floor mats every time it rains, the paint is off of the radio knob (this after only about 2 months), the trunk release doesn't work, (fixed once, still no good), the trunk doesn't stay up when you open it, the horn works only occasionally and then just a sickly bleat, radiator went at 32,000 miles. Gas mileage a big bummer also. Averaging 19.8 or less in town. Best I've seen was 23 on a trip with lots of straight highway miles. I'm ready to paint this car yellow and put a lemon license plate on it. Let's see, oh and the trim around the door frame in rear passenger door won't stay on. Now you may think after hearing all this that I beat my cars up! Not so! This car has been gently driven, well under the norm for mileage (I walk to work and the car doesn't get more than 50 miles a week now), and treated kindly. Next time I will buy a Honda! Stay away if safety, reliability or economy and value are important to you. I thought I was getting a great car for a great price. What I got was a pretty lemon. This is a 2004 model car purchased in October 2003."

My favorite car so far

By on Saturday, January 11, 2014

Pros: "Extremely practical, roomy, and fun to drive."

Cons: "Mileage. Roominess means I drive kids to college"

"If they still made this car, I'd get another. It has almost everything I want in a car. The only things missing are navigation, Bluetooth (neither of which were available on any car when I bought it), and better mileage (although an average of 23 mpg isn't bad). It has an enormous cargo capacity because of the flexibility of the seats (60/40 rear and passenger front seat all fold down). It set a new standard for me: the car must be capable of hauling tall IKEA bookcases. Absolutely everyone (including my friend who is 6'2" and rather large) comments on the spaciousness of the back seat. There are also a number of little things that make life easier: it comes with 2 netted compartments perfect for carrying a gallon jug of milk. The cargo cover is solid and can be adjusted to a number of different positions, including one that makes a perfect picnic table "before the game". In its typical position as a cargo cover, it has hooks on it for your grocery bags. It fits a full-sized spare tire. The cup holders are built in rather than those cheesy plastic ones that fold in. It's incredibly comfortable to drive - we've driven across country on both highways and interesting dirt roads, and it always does well. I've never owned a car this long, but I haven't seen any reason to get rid of it, particularly because there is no low or mid priced car that even comes close."

Best vehicle I have ever owned.

By on Sunday, October 2, 2011

"This has been a fantastic car. I have had no problems. Great gas mileage and very dependable. The interior space will suprise you. The rear seats slide back and forth for extended leg room or extended cargo space. The rear seats also recline for more comfort on those long trips. The 3.5 litre, 200 HP emgine is not only fuel efficient but suprisingly quick. Having front wheel drive, the Maxx is also very good in snowy conditions."

great car

By on Friday, May 23, 2008

"i have this car for 6 months and i get anywhere between 28 to 34.5 miles a gallon best around 65 miles an hour very comfortble riding buy this car anytime again also it is great in snow holds the road great better than my 4 wheel drive pickup"

Love my Malibu

By on Wednesday, January 2, 2008

"I bought my car Feb. of 05. It has not given me too many problems. Just recently it started to make a clunking noise when I turn my steering wheel a certain way and also it delays sumtimes when I try to start it. I think it is due to the automatic starter. I never have problems with icey or snowy roads in the winter and in the summer it stays very cool. I love this car and would recommend it to anyone."

Terrific Little Car!

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Pros: "Easy to drive, reliable, low maintenance"

Cons: "Pass. seat headrest blocks visibility to rt. rear"

"After driving Taurus Wagons for nearly 20 years, I bought the Maxx when Ford appeared to be discontinuing the Taurus because I was worried about parts down the road; I planned to drive the Maxx till either it or I fell apart. That was nearly 9 years ago -- so far both of us are still doing well. The Maxx has been an awesome performer -- never an unexpected problem. Some emissions work had to be done for the inspection 2 years ago and it got complicated, but that was because of the federal equipment and standards, not because of GM or the model. I had no problems at the most recent inspection. I really love this little car -- the only problem is that it is "little." I have 3 grandchildren, 3 car seats totally fill the back seat, and I couldn't have an installed infant seat with 2 "older child" seats. But there's lots of cargo space for normal use, including putting down the back seats. Imo size is a personal preference, and the car's performance, handling, pick-up, "parkability," etc. are all excellent. Unless Chevy has lowered the standards for this car, it's a great buy."

decent little car

By on Monday, April 15, 2013

Pros: "good fuel economy , reliable car , comfortable too"

Cons: "panels rattle, driver seat welds broken"

"bought this car when my buick blew a head gasket. it had 165,000 or so on it now have almost 190,000 on her. she had some problems when we first met.major problem was batt light would come on when you tried to accelerate. check engine light never came on only the service vehicle soon light would flash and the electric power steering would cut out every time you mash the gas. thought alternator was bad had it checked it was fine. so changed the belt and pulleys still had the same issues. so thought computer was bad, but I did some research online and found out that if the spark plugs and wires are after market this will cause the problem. someone had put after market wires on this car. for some reason it only wants a/c delco parts got some new wires and plugs from the dealer and wa la problem solved. she runs like a champ now. no problems at all since just changed oil and you know regular maintenance. very good on gas. I drive 30 miles one way to work and back. she gets me there all week and Friday night I still have a little less than A quarter tank. that century, I had to fill up on the 3rd day. So I am very pleased so far. I am just starting to hear bearing noise but that is part of regular maintenance , the car does have over 190,000 on it time to change them out anyway and do brake job at the same time. tires seem to be wearing evenly as well rotate those every 4 to 6 thousand miles.the driver seat welds have broken so seat moves around. this seems to be a reacquiring theme on most Malibu forums also. I just took the seat out and had a mechanic weld it back for me and that did the trick for 20 dollars. just to recap most of the problems are minor little annoyances that don't cost to much to repair, so all in all a very good reliable car that will get you from point A to B safely."

I love this car

By on Saturday, August 11, 2012

"Reliable and Comfortable what more do I have to say"

Best vehiclle I ever bought

By on Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pros: "Reliable, room for 2 sets of hockey gear 2 kids"

Cons: "around 170K the CD player died."

"At a 198,000 miles my car has developed a major issue. The transmission is going out, although it still drives it slips under heavy load, such as starting from a stop at the bottom of steep hills. This is the first major issue I have had in all those miles. I did standard repairs, brakes, struts, flush the transmission at 100K. When it hit 150,000 miles I had to replace the spark plug wires and the water pump. Still the body is solid,the engine is strong considering, my mpg went from 35 on the freeway to 27, but it was only rated for 29 to start with so who's complaining. This has been a fantastic car. I recommended it to a friend and he is still driving his as well, both 2006 with a ton of commuter miles on them. I am getting a new transmission next week and back on the road for more hockey!"

Great American made Vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By on Thursday, November 17, 2011

"Almost six years into owning it - not one problem. Handles great, is very comfortable on long trips, extremely dependable - other than normal maintenace not one issue, 30 mpg highway, great job by American workers on an American icon - Chevy. I would put this car up against any foreign job of comparable price."

34 MPG, quite, great ride, reliable, fast

By on Saturday, August 15, 2009

"I am 61 years old and bought this car new in late 2006. Looked and drove many other cars, including the tinny Hondas and Toyotas. I have 37000 miles on it and still get an average of 34 MPG. It really gets up and moves for a 4 cylinder car (same engine that holds the world record speed for a 4 cylinder engine) and is smoother riding, quieter than most I drove at this price (including again the Hondas and Toyotas). I have had no problems with this car except the tires wore out too soon, what do you expect, they were Bridgestones. They wore fast as did other Bridgestone tires I have had on other new cars. Also had a set of Bridgestones where 3 out of four bubbled on another car that had Michelins on it before (should have bought Michelins again and finally did; great tires except for their road hazard warranty that expired after 4 years-drill bit went through sidewall. that was not covered). I change my own oil and filter - very easy to do because oil filter is on top of engine, I wish all my other 12 cars had that feature. Would recommend this car to anyone. It still looks great and have gotten complements on its look still! Also, all kinds of room, no crampiness, great seats."

neat design, so-so execution

By on Saturday, September 27, 2008

"First, the pros and cons: Pros- Very roomy for 4 full-size adults Cheap to buy as a used car Hatchback design with folding seats allows for lots of cargo Peppy V6 returns good highway MPG Good view from every seat, lots of glass around you Can be adjusted to fit a wide variety of drivers Good all-around performing automatic transmission Available with side air bags, abs, traction control (some are options, though) Cons- Squeaks and rattles abound on rough pavement Electric power steering is not trouble-free Occasional wonky behavior from interior elecrical systems Higher than expected cost of insurance (nowhere near a sports car, though) Fuel tank doesn't fill completely (even after TSB repair) I picked up a fully loaded, low-mileage '04 LT model used for $10,500 from a private party. It needed a bumper repainted and tires, but otherwise was in good shape. The car is aging fine, but suffers from some minor "first-year GM model issues" that may be better sorted out in the '05-'07 Malibu. The clunky electric steering is the biggest issue for most buyers, but in many cases it can be temporarily fixed by lubricating the steering shaft (check online for a TSB; any handy person can perform this repair). I like this car-- if it weren't for the rattles and the clunky steering I'd love the car. Recommended, but use caution and check it out thoroughly when shopping..."