2001 Chevrolet Malibu

6.9

Based on 960 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.2/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

DEX-COOL

By on Saturday, September 20, 2008

"Bought this 2002 Mailbu new in 2001. Great car with little dissapointments until we took to selling dealer for an oil change. Had to replace the intake manifold at 5 Years and 2 month, 61,000 miles. Due to GM's Dexcool dissolving the manifold ports. At least it did not take out the manifold gasket dump coolant into the oil and trash the entire engine. Appx $1200.00 to repair. Got the Dealer to refund appx $500 for the cost of the parts. Still believe in this car, but why did not GM contact us to tell us that their DEX-COOL Coolant was eating away at the cooling system."

Sharp, comfortable, handles well

By on Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Pros: "Good styling, handles good, comfortable."

Cons: "antitheft not good desigh."

"2nd owner. Was Exec car before me. Put approx 100000 mi on car. antitheft was annoying due to key switch/had it disabled. New engine installed 95000 mi. due to head gasket leak. Otherwise very reliable. Very sharp car with white leather seats and special dk blue paint that shows maroon tint in sunlight. Very comfortable, drives and handles great."

99 and 03 Malibu

By on Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"We have a 99 and 03 Malibu. Both were purchased with about 4,000mi. Both were used to commute about 50 mi per day in heavy highway traffic. 99 has about 200,000mi (hard to convert from Kilometers--we live in Toronto) and 03 has about 100,000 mi. Both are going strong with little work done beyond standard repairs. Would highly recommend this car."

Chevy Made a Mistake!!

By on Tuesday, January 15, 2008

"I have had NOTHING BUT TROUBLE since, literally, the very day the factory warranty ran out. GM says there is nothing wrong with this car, but I beg to differ. This car is trouble. Head gasket, 4 alternators, 6 batteries, ignition switch, rear window motor blown, ignition lock and barrel so stuck that the barrel actually fell out of the dashboard...I am meticulous with maintenance, so it is not me. I have another Chevy, an '01 Silverado, and it is PERFECT @150,000 miles. The Malibu has 80,000 miles and has been nothing but problems since around 35,000 miles. GM refuses to admit that this car is a LEMON. I am disgusted and cannot wait to trade it in. Also, it sometimes takes 2-3 tries before it starts, the transmission shifts so hard that it feels like I'm being rear-ended, the power-entry doesn't work on the driver's door...the pitiful list goes on and on."

No, no, no!

By on Sunday, November 11, 2007

"Purchased my 03 Malibu 2 years ago at just 37,000 miles (it was previously a rental). Since then it has done nothing but let me down. Now at 58,000 miles, I have been left stranded at work 5 different times, 2 of those were extremely dangerous situations in which I was driving the car out of the parking lot and onto a busy street and the gas pedal decided not to let me use it anymore! I have replaced the brakes 3 times. Lets not forget that, as mentioned before, the air conditioning has a mind of its own. Most recently I was driving the car when it began shaking violently and making the most unheard of noises...come to find out it is a broken rocker arm, which let me tell you, is not cheap to fix. Between towing fees, repairs and the fact that this car is terrible on gas and brakes, I'd say its been a money pit and a waste of time. Save yourself the nightmare."