1998 Chevrolet Malibu

6.9

Based on 958 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

Basicly an up-sized Cavalier...

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Affordable, good mileage,roomy,plentiful"

Cons: "Uncomfortable,weak suspension,base grade issues"

"I was sold this car without a disclosure or Carfax. Mine is pretty much bottom of the barrel. After the 1 year warrantee from the dealership, things started going wrong... electrical gremlins, service engine lights, evaporator leak, ingnition switch, clear coat issues, ect. There's no comfortable way to drive this car on long trips. The seats are "minimal" and the armrests are very ill-placed. The rear suspension is mushy and doesn't like to be loaded, even though there's loads of trunk room. 4 grown (160-185#)adults makes the car bottom out on bumps. On the up-side, the mileage is pretty good at 25 mpg /-, and it runs fair for a small 4 cyl. in that size of car. It's fairly inexpensive to maintain even with "better" parts. There are plenty of these in the salvage yard, so used parts are abundant also."

start every day for the last 7 years

By on Monday, September 1, 2008

"had to replace front brake pads every year. then figured out after owning about 5 and a half years that they were being installed backwards. watch out the wear indicator goes on the inside on these vehicles. had intake gasket leak at about 80,000 miles and 4 years old.repaired under extended warranty by gm dealer and has been alright since.fuel leak from pressure regulator the winter of 07-08.stop after a day without needing repaired at about 104000. be careful when messing around the with fuel pressure regulalor because the throtle body part that hold the accelerator cable is made out of plastic on 00 models and will crack or brake when hit hard enough. cost about $300 to $400 dollar at dealership luckily i was able to get one from local junk yard for $50.00. signal and hazard lights acting up last week. start back working . had hazard swith replaced under recall a couple of years ago. the only other problem was a tie rod which was also done under extended warranty about 3-4 years ago. at 109,000 the engine runs good. gas mileage is ok"

Caution, take heed

By on Thursday, October 18, 2007

"I purchased my car [2001 Chevrolet Malibu] used (~88000 miles on it with a clean title). It was beautiful, spacious and ran well. However, the car has now started to fall apart (it now has 130,000 miles). I understand that there is normal maintenance required for all cars, new and old and that some parts just wear out. However, since purchasing the car (~3.5 yrs ago), I have had to put significant amount of money into it, equivalent to at least 1/2 of what I paid for the total car. You have been warned: -new battery -new brakes ($$) -leaky intake manifold gasket (coolant was leaking out from engine, not into it, Thank God) ($$$) -thermostat ($) -water pump ($$) -the radiator cap has never fit correctly (so the coolant drips) -the current problem--the car wouldn't start. The mechanic (competent or no) replaced the ignition switch and cylinder ($$$$). ONE DAY after getting it back, the car stalled while turning a corner and is now back in the shop. (the (not) competent mechanic does not know what is wrong with it yet, but it looks electrical ($$$$$)). (This problem may/may not be associated with the original problem and/or work that was done, this has yet to be determined) -Miscellaneous: The struts and/or shocks in the front sound like they are about to go as well. So, if you choose to buy this year (2001) of Malibu, good luck! Some of these problems have been addressed on several forums, so I know that I am not the only owner of a 2001 Malibu that has had problems."

I loved my Malibu

By on Saturday, September 8, 2007

"We had a 2001 that we bought when it only had about 17000 miles on it, and when I crashed it, it had over 100000 miles on it. We never had one problem at all!!! It got around 20+ miles per gallon. We just loved this car!!! One of the reasons we choice a Malibu was because of the safty rating... good thing that held true, I walked away from my accident w/out a scratch on me!!! If you were thinking about getting one you should!!!!!!"

junk!

By on Wednesday, July 25, 2007

"I bought a '99 malibu from a car dealer in 2004. It had only one owner who used it as a commuter car. One month after purchasing the coolant system went bad, although the engine never overheated, the head still cracked. After replacing that (at a cost of $2300.00) I noticed a ticking noise in the engine... it now has a "sticky lifter" which could seize at any time. Aside from those problems, it will randomly shut off at any given time, and the dashboard lights come on and off randomly. This car has been nothing but trouble, and I heard from both my mechanic and other malibu owners that they have experienced the same problems (with the coolant system and electrical system.) The good things about it are its size, its very comfortable even for adults in the back seat, and it still looks "new" after 8 years."