1997 Chevrolet Malibu

6.9

Based on 960 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.2/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

Very reliable car

By on Thursday, July 11, 2013

"We bought this car used, I think 2007. It has not given us a bit of trouble. The only thing we have replaced besides tires, oil etc was a right front wheel hub bearing. It has been very economical, even though there is nothing cosmetically special about it."

By on Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pros: "It's a Malibu Nuff Said"

Cons: "No armrests"

"I have just about seen every possible variant of my car From the base sedan up to my LS I see the newer ones and I am proud I own a popular Generation of it I have owned my car for 6 years since I became the second owner and have spent a great deal on this to make it a safe reliable and clean car for whom ever in my family needs to use it of my car I will say this I bought it with 18,000 miles on it it now reads 53,153 not bad for an 11 year old car huh? Yeah I don't drive it much and use it on days where the weather warnts usage IE rain or snow"

kind of annoying

By on Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"This car was great when I first bought it and drives great especially for a beginning driver (it was my first car). However there are some quirks to be aware of... number one is the Anti-Theft System. This system will randomly engage and you must sit and wait for about 10 waiting for it to "relearn" itself (a major inconvenience). The blinkers randomly stop working while you are driving which can honestly be pretty dangerous... The mileage is fair, especially for its age (average about 24 mpg). It's an okay car and with work has the potential to be great... but I would suggest going for an '05 or later model that doesn't have as many issues."

Started strong but died fast

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "The powerful engine and driving performance"

Cons: "Manufacturer problems with the intake gasket"

"The intake manifold gasket went out 3 times during the life of this car. Coolant leaks were a common frustrating problem. Other than that it drove great, had tons of power and always out performed all of the trucks we passed on our way up the snowy mountain roads."

i love this car

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, inexpensive"

Cons: "not enough cupholders, speakers aren't the best"

"im 18 years old and my dad bought me this car. it gets me where i need to be. heat is warm so fast. my friend owns this same car and they say it is also amazing. if you're buying it for a kid for a first car its awesome! a lot of the parts are inexpensive too so if something does happen you won't spend to much money fixing it."

Awesome car!

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"I have owned this car for over 11 years and have never had to have any major repairs. At 216000 miles, it is started to wear down some but I cannot complain. It has been great!"

A great idea, but poorly executed

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Great mpg, good long distance driver"

Cons: "Poor reliability"

"I bought my '01 Malibu, used, in November 2001 and up to now (01/2012) I have added about 105K to the odometer. When it is working right, it works great. The Malibu is very good as a daily driver and also for long trips. It gets very good MPG for a V6; I have seen up to 32MPG and no less than 29 MPG on long trips. The V6 also has plenty of oomph for the average driver. The Malibu impresses on the first drive. Long-term ownership, however, has been a disappointment, especially on the issue of reliability. This car makes frequent trips to the mechanic, sometimes under it's own power, sometimes not. It has barely limped into a shop more than once. It will usually get me where I want to go, but the breakdowns have been just often enough to make me doubt. The frequent repair bills take the joy out of owning this car. The worst so far has been repairing a coolant leak at the intake manifold for $800. Twice. And everything that breaks, will break at least twice due to a steady stream of poor quality replacement parts from Chevy. The worst offenders, besides the intake manifold, have been the A.C. control panel (4 repairs and ready for a 5th), Mass Air Flow Sensor (3 repairs), and the ignition anti-theft system (2 repairs), to name a few. Nothing catastrophic, like the transmission, but the constant re-repairs leach away at my confidence in the Malibu. In short, the Malibu has decent features for a decent price and the peppy V6 makes it fun to drive. But when it comes to reliability, Chevy simply failed: not miserably, but enough to make me question why I bought the car in the first place."

Best Car Ever!

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Very dependable"

"Me and my boyfriend own this car and have had it for a year now. There is 249,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ! We drive it daily. Safe dependable car for our son. Its mt first car and would loooove to have another. i definetly recommend this car and gas is around $3.15 right now and we fill up for $35.00. We've replaced minor things so far. Brakes, new tires, and a altinator. Buy you cant beat that for having so many miles on it!"

Love it!

By on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pros: "Decent price, fuel economy 30mpg , Reliable"

"Small and easy on fuel, yet comfy. We drive 300 miles per week, and its done A for us for 4 years, not one problem. Starts reliably in sub-zero weather."

Good, reliable car, 190K miles, very few issues.

By on Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"This 2001 Malibu LS is a single-owner car that has been well-cared for. The car has 190K miles and has had a few minor problems in it's life including the air-conditioning switch replaced. Leather held up well, Mobil 1 oil all its life, kept good tires on it. Been all up and down the east-coast with it and it never let me down. I would buy another one in the future if the quality is still there with the new GM."