1997 Chevrolet Malibu

6.9

Based on 958 Ratings for the 1997 - 2005 models.

7.4/10
    7.1/10
    7.5/10
    7.4/10
    7.3/10

Started strong but died fast

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Pros: "The powerful engine and driving performance"

Cons: "Manufacturer problems with the intake gasket"

"The intake manifold gasket went out 3 times during the life of this car. Coolant leaks were a common frustrating problem. Other than that it drove great, had tons of power and always out performed all of the trucks we passed on our way up the snowy mountain roads."

i love this car

By on Friday, January 27, 2012

Pros: "Great gas mileage, inexpensive"

Cons: "not enough cupholders, speakers aren't the best"

"im 18 years old and my dad bought me this car. it gets me where i need to be. heat is warm so fast. my friend owns this same car and they say it is also amazing. if you're buying it for a kid for a first car its awesome! a lot of the parts are inexpensive too so if something does happen you won't spend to much money fixing it."

Awesome car!

By on Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"I have owned this car for over 11 years and have never had to have any major repairs. At 216000 miles, it is started to wear down some but I cannot complain. It has been great!"

A great idea, but poorly executed

By on Friday, January 13, 2012

Pros: "Great mpg, good long distance driver"

Cons: "Poor reliability"

"I bought my '01 Malibu, used, in November 2001 and up to now (01/2012) I have added about 105K to the odometer. When it is working right, it works great. The Malibu is very good as a daily driver and also for long trips. It gets very good MPG for a V6; I have seen up to 32MPG and no less than 29 MPG on long trips. The V6 also has plenty of oomph for the average driver. The Malibu impresses on the first drive. Long-term ownership, however, has been a disappointment, especially on the issue of reliability. This car makes frequent trips to the mechanic, sometimes under it's own power, sometimes not. It has barely limped into a shop more than once. It will usually get me where I want to go, but the breakdowns have been just often enough to make me doubt. The frequent repair bills take the joy out of owning this car. The worst so far has been repairing a coolant leak at the intake manifold for $800. Twice. And everything that breaks, will break at least twice due to a steady stream of poor quality replacement parts from Chevy. The worst offenders, besides the intake manifold, have been the A.C. control panel (4 repairs and ready for a 5th), Mass Air Flow Sensor (3 repairs), and the ignition anti-theft system (2 repairs), to name a few. Nothing catastrophic, like the transmission, but the constant re-repairs leach away at my confidence in the Malibu. In short, the Malibu has decent features for a decent price and the peppy V6 makes it fun to drive. But when it comes to reliability, Chevy simply failed: not miserably, but enough to make me question why I bought the car in the first place."

Best Car Ever!

By on Monday, December 12, 2011

Pros: "Very dependable"

"Me and my boyfriend own this car and have had it for a year now. There is 249,000 miles on it and it still runs like a champ! We drive it daily. Safe dependable car for our son. Its mt first car and would loooove to have another. i definetly recommend this car and gas is around $3.15 right now and we fill up for $35.00. We've replaced minor things so far. Brakes, new tires, and a altinator. Buy you cant beat that for having so many miles on it!"

Love it!

By on Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Pros: "Decent price, fuel economy 30mpg , Reliable"

"Small and easy on fuel, yet comfy. We drive 300 miles per week, and its done A for us for 4 years, not one problem. Starts reliably in sub-zero weather."

Good, reliable car, 190K miles, very few issues.

By on Tuesday, October 4, 2011

"This 2001 Malibu LS is a single-owner car that has been well-cared for. The car has 190K miles and has had a few minor problems in it's life including the air-conditioning switch replaced. Leather held up well, Mobil 1 oil all its life, kept good tires on it. Been all up and down the east-coast with it and it never let me down. I would buy another one in the future if the quality is still there with the new GM."

Good Car for low money

By on Monday, September 5, 2011

I own this car

Pros: "Great price for a full size car and easy to drive."

Cons: "Improve the seat, more cushion."

"I purchase this car use from the auction. This has been a good running vehical for me. No real problems, only you must be careful not to hit the pot holes. I had to replace both front bearing that cost $250 each. Other than that the car runs great. I am up to 124,000 miles. I love the left side dash cup holder. If you keep the oil change every 3,000 miles and air filter change you won't go wrong. One of the engine lifters is tapping lightly, but that can happen to any car. The air condition is grat and heater too. No oil leaks car runs great. This is not a race car, but it will get you to your destination."

Not a bad car

By on Monday, September 5, 2011

Pros: "comfortable, easy to drive"

Cons: "annoying cup holder next to drivers window."

"Not a bad car overall, had it about 2 years now, and only have had to put a few things into it (i.e. brakes and a tune-up). This car did a 3000 mile round trip trek from upstate NY to Florida without a bit of a problem, and got around 30mpg!! I have the fully loaded one, and not a problem at all. very good, dependable car."

Most reliable vehicle around!

By on Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Pros: "Great price, reliable"

Cons: "Gear shifter needed to be replaced recently"

"I have owned this vehicle since buying it in college (9 years ago). It has been a great, dependable car. We maintained the car, by doing necessary tune ups and oil changes and have had no major issues. It is 11 years old and is still running great!"

nice vehicle for the money

By on Wednesday, February 16, 2011

"This Malibu replaced an Olds 8800. I loved the Olds for comfort and ride. The Malibu is not as "Luxurious" as the Olds but it is pretty comfortable especially when compared to a Toyota Corolla or even a Camry. It gets very good mileage - 20+ mostly city driving."

Not bad for an average car

By on Saturday, July 10, 2010

"Bought the car for $3000 with 137,000 miles on it. In general, a good car even with so many miles. No problems with the electical, A/C, cruise control, lights all good. Did have a problem with the ignition module. Got it fixed, runs great. Mileage great, it a 4 cyl. Good, not great pickup, but you sacrifice mileage for power. It has 152,000 miles on it, paint shines, cold A/C, starts up every time. Rear lights do get water inside and there is a slight rattle in the engine compartment. I can live with these small problems considering how much I paid for it. Unfortunately, there is a low trade in (probably because of the mileage) but I have saved that money in gas, low repairs and the price. I use this instead of my 350 Silverado (13 MPG) most days."

Great experience with this car

By on Saturday, June 12, 2010

"I bought this car brand new in 1998. I have now 182k miles on it and the car still runs great, 75 miles to work and back, every day. I have replaced first lamp after 8 years!!! After 9 years and 100k miles I had to replace struts and shocks. Replaced chain at 120k miles. Other than that no major repairs. I change oil, brake pads, etc. regularly as a part of normal maintenance. Still happy with the car, even though now age starts to show... even though it runs great, it's bit noisier and struts are ready for another change... not sure if it makes sense for 12 year old car. Very, very happy with little Malibu!"

Worth more than blue book!

By on Thursday, March 4, 2010

"I bought my 02 Malibu at the end of 2002 with about 18,000 miles on it (the only owner besides the previous leasee.) I didn't have any major problems until maybe 100,000. They were the usual GM problems: intake gasket and water pump due to the Dexcool. Other than that, I take great care of the car, it gets all the recommended maintenance and it's been very good to me in return! I can't imagine ever selling my car and would be devestated if something happened to it. I was disappointed to see how much it was worth now-a-days, but it is 8 years old and has 130,000+ miles. On the same note, for its age, usage on terrible roads and in terrible conditions, also as a delivery vehicle, it runs amazingly well!! It runs just as well as the day I got it! I love my car! As for giving it 4 stars in places, let's face it, it's not the best car every built, but it's a good car!"

Very Reliable Car

By on Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"I bought this car with 44,800 miles in June of this year and so far I am very happy with it. The only problem I've come across is the brakes start squeeling when I am slowing down to a stop from lower speeds for example anywhere from 15-35 mph they start squeeling but they don't if I'm slowing down from anywhere above 35 MPH. The gas milage is also great eventhough my previous car had great gas milage too. I also like finally having a used car that still has working a/c, all of the other cars I have test drove or owned (I've only owned one car before the Malibu and it was a '96 Ford Contour) don't have working a/c."

Good Dependable vehicle

By on Monday, July 27, 2009

"I got 180,000 and it is still a sound vehicle. I had to replace the Fuel Pump twice. I faithfully conducted preventative maintenance (flush radiator, transmossion, power steering and brake fluid). Replaced the A/C control unit and did have to replace the intake manifold. Oil changed every 3,000 miles and did change the struts. Still gets about 29 miles on hwy and about 20 in city."

Horrible Vehicle

By on Wednesday, July 22, 2009

"Within 4 months of buying this piece of garbage the engine went down. The amount of the repairs are worth more than the car and I still owe money on this thing. Long story short if you see this car for sale run far far away in the other direction unless you love to waste money."

By on Sunday, July 12, 2009

"I have owned my 1997 Malibu LS for 12+ years-I am the original owner. I have taken great care of my Malibu and it has been an excellent car in every way. My only complaint is the car does make some interior rattling noises. Small incidental noises rattling in the dashboard. Other than the noise, the car has been free of any mechanical issues, other than normal wear & tear; brake replacement, battery replacement, tires, etc. I have only great things to say about my 12 years with my Malibu."

Average performer

By on Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Car has been really average performing but reliable. Bought it at 93k miles and now has 120k. Had to have the O2 sensors replaced, catalytic conv, EGR, and brakes since buying it. Runs well, but seems to have tranny problems, shifting is weary which causes car not to accelerate fast and hesitates. Very common on Malibu with hesitation and tranny issues. To make sure you are buying a good one, Gun it at a stop light and see if it takes off without hesitation."

Love This Car

By on Thursday, May 7, 2009

"I love my Malibu! I had it for nine year. It was still going with 200,000 miles! The only problem I had was with the brakes-you cannot use cheap brake pads-go with the factory ones. The car gets great gas mileage!"

Great car

By on Wednesday, April 29, 2009

"Bought new in 2000, never had a problem with it. Still runs as great as the day I bought it."

Good for the first 50k miles!

By on Saturday, March 14, 2009

"Good for the first 50k miles, then the manifold gasket goes. Leaky engine, underpowered V-6, Steering went out cost $1500 to fix."

Not so hott

By on Tuesday, March 10, 2009

"I just got this vehicle in August and I have had nothing but problems with it since. If i had known that it was going to be such a hunk of junk i wouldn't have ever bought it."

By on Tuesday, January 13, 2009

"I have owned this car for 8 years and am sad to see it go. With the weather in WI it was a trooper, powered through the snow. Getting rid of it because of an oil leak, water pump leak, just don't want to stick the money into fixing it. At 130,000 miles and 12 years old it's time for a newer Malibu! The CD player is tempermental, and the motor for the driver side window went out at about 100,000. Otherwise I have not had any major problems that weren't normal wear and tear. The only complaint would be that the driver seat didn't recline."

Greet Car

By on Friday, January 9, 2009

"Great car overall could be a little better in snow something good tires would take care of i always had offbrand tires because the low profile tires are expensive."