2003 Chevrolet Impala

8.2

Based on 997 Ratings for the 2000 - 2005 models.

Great new look, but leaking head gasket...

By on Monday, March 10, 2008

"I have had this vehicle for just over a year now and it has been great. Recently I was changing my oil and noticed a build up of oil at the base of my engine. So I followed to oil trace up to discover that my intake manifold was leaking oil! I was a little shocked to see this! This car has been nothing but great to me thus far. So I took it into a GM Certified shop and they verified that it was in fact leaking. They also informed me that GM was investigating this problem on several other vehicles as well. If you already own one, remove the plastic cover on top of the engine and check to see if there is any oil leakin anywhere. If you are concidering buying one, keep on eye on it for the first year or so. From what I was told I am not the only Impala owner to have this happen. Other than that, this car has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. Great style, comfort, driving, and performance. Get 28 mpg highway avg. and around 20 city! Not bad for a V6 and a sedan this size!"

Thoughts after a year used

By on Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Pros: "Reliable, Fast, Roomy, Safe"

"When I first got the car, it had 129K miles on the odometer, and needed some pretty brutal repairs. While I have to say, it was expensive getting it back up and running, this car has been great to have. It's roomy, it's fast, it has tons of space in the trunk, it's reliable, and it's incredibly safe (although I've never needed to test this)"

Definitely got my money's worth

By on Monday, November 18, 2013

Pros: "Virtually problem free."

Cons: "Not the best styling, but I don't care."

"I bought my 2000 Impala used when it had about 36,000 miles on it.For years it had no issues. I have since replaced the ac compressor, wheel bearings and most recently the fuel pump. But all of that pales in comparison to car payments. This is the best car I have ever owned. Almost 300,000 miles and still going."

EXCELLENT CAR VERY DEPENDABLE

By on Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Pros: "fun to drive dependable and economical to operate"

"I bought the car used to drive to work only. I put a lot of miles on a car in a month's time. This car has out performed any car previous purchased for work purposes. It has been very dependable, minimal repairs and economical to operate."

I LOVE my Impala!

By on Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Pros: "Fast - Affordable - Spacious - Reliable"

Cons: "Cold wipers!"

"My 2001 has been SO GREAT! Had to replace intake gasket, but it was my third car with that type engine, so we knew what was coming...had extended warranty in place. Would definitly buy another if I didn't need 4x4. My ONLY HATE about this car was the wipers not on the windshield. They never heated up with the defroster on to wipe the snow off. I would have to wait for the rubber to warm up and expand to touch the shield again to be useful. Weird I know, but a real issue for upstate NY !! Otherwise, TWO THUMBS UP ACROSS THE BOARD !!"

Best Car I've Ever Owned!

By on Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Pros: "Great price, fun to drive, safe for new drivers!"

Cons: "Honestly can't think of ANY!"

"Loved this car from the first time I drove it. Bought it used, but, it had very LOW miles on it. It had ALL the bells & whistles I was looking for & a few that I'd never had before, such as heated seats, and a sun roof, which I LOVE. Have owned this car for 7 years now, and STILL LOVE IT, as much as the first time I drove it! Love the stereo system in it, the sporty yet luxurious feel of the interior and exterior style. Love the performance of the engion. It's always "peppy". No one can ever pass me up, unless I let them! LOL! Great Car! Also: excellent gas milage. Couple more things I just thought of....also like the large truck and the back seat will fold down for larger cargo. Handles well on wet roads."

Best Car I Owned!

By on Saturday, January 5, 2013

Pros: "Awesome,good pricing,Long-lasting"

Cons: "Anti-theft lock not working"

"I had this car for almost 12 years! It has been my #1 car for that time. VERY GREAT 1ST CARS! My father kept telling me not to buy an Impala but I did anyways. but my power anti-theft lock isn't working."

Great car...very dependable commuter car

By on Monday, November 21, 2011

Pros: "good price for the features, fun to drive"

Cons: "headrests are uncomfortable"

"This car has been an excellent commuter car. I love how it drives and all of the features it has. It holds a family of four and our luggage comfortably when we take a trip."

Make sure you look this car over before buying!

By on Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"My dad originally bought this car when it was fairly new. I then got it from my sister, and everything seemed to be alright with it for a year or so. I just had to get minor work done on it. I have replaced the wheel bearings 3 times in the past year and a half (which I was told that it was typical for this car, and it's a defect as it ages), had the blinker switch replaced twice(even know someone who had the same car, and had the same issue.). It heats up easily, and had to replace coolant in it many times. The fuel pump went, and now I need to get a new car, due to it being in such bad shape, it's too expensive for me to constantly maintain this car. Maybe it's just my experience, but I would definitely ask lots of questions and the history of this brand of car before buying it. It was a nice car, but I was told that the previous owner (before my dad and sister) may have done something to it that noone knew about until now. So, it goes through wheel bearings like candy. Again, ask questions, and make sure you know the issues with the car before buying it!"

Nice Vehicle - great highway cruiser

By on Friday, August 22, 2008

"I do a LOT of driving for work - about 20k per year, and have an 06 Impala LT with the 3.5 engine. I'm not sure how some people only get 18-22mpg, because this thing averages 32-34 on the highway (consistently - no exaggeration) - driving 70 to 75 mph. Very smooth ride, quite, comfortable, and safe feeling car, My only complaint is the ride is a little soft for my taste - I like a sportier, firmer ride, but then again, this isn't a sports car.. I believe the LTZ model, however, has firmer suspesion (the "FE2" code suspension) - so that may be something to look into. Other than that, no complaints. My last Chevy was a 98 Monte Carlo that was still running very strong at 160k - this one seems like it will go well past 200k w/o any problems."

Styling and Performance

By on Friday, June 6, 2008

"Very good acceleration and great handling. Nice appointments and great looks. Seats not as cushy as my 2000 Impala but certainly comfortable. Gas mileage on the highway is as advertised and good for the size of car and engine although around town does not quite measure up to estimates. Very reliable and great value. Will get another top-of-line Impala in another 2-3 years."

Vlad the Impala

By on Thursday, January 26, 2017

"Bought '04 "Vlad the Impala" in '06. Going on 300k miles now with just basic maintenance. Just keeps running. It's not going to drag race anyone, but gets 30 mpg and carries 6 passengers, with a huge trunk. Biggest repair was a leaky fuel filter which cost $7.95 + 1 hour labor to repair."

Reliable Car

By on Thursday, January 9, 2014

Pros: "Great Leg Room, Huge Trunk Space"

Cons: "Long car"

"I had my 2002 Impala manufactured for me and have been overly satisfied with how reliable it has been. There was an engine head gasket (minor) problem right before it hit 90,000 miles that was covered under the extended warranty. The transmission did not blow until 190,000+ miles. Oil didn't have to be changed every 3,000 miles ~ the car was set to let you know when oil was low. It is the roomiest car I have ever driven or ridden in, and there may not be any cars nor small SUV's that can compare to the legroom, headroom, and trunk space that the 2002 Impala offers (I know, I've checked!). Great car for the size, value, and reliability! Love it, love it, love it!"

Car is falling apart!

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Great ride, solid built car"

Cons: "bad transmissions, terrible paint job"

"This has been the worst car I've ever owned. If I wouldn't have bought the extended warranty, I would've paid about $12,000 for repairs after the original warranty expired."

love this car

By on Sunday, February 17, 2013

Pros: "sweet car"

"I love the style and looks of this car the comfort the handleing. My car has 153000 miles on it still has decent retail value. This car is very dependable get good gas mileage for the size of car it is. I have gotten up to 38mpg on highway"

Fantastic car!

By on Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Pros: "great A/C, Stereo, runs everyday and still looks g"

Cons: "They don't make this style anymore."

"This car has served 6 people in my family with no issues. It has been to college with 2 kids and still remains a loved tresure by each of us. Easy to maintain and great quality from front to back. The interior still looks new with no dash damage from the Arizona sun. The A/C is very good and all passengers even in 120 degree weather are comfortable. The base stereo is very good and has andled all types of music with no issues. We are extremely pleased with the vehicle and still find it a pleasure to drive as well as look at! No, it is not for sale!"

I love this car so much! It's been the best ever.

By on Monday, August 6, 2012

Pros: "It's all good!"

Cons: "A/C fan is not the strongest."

My 2002 Chevy Impala

"I've driven this car for 7 wonderful years. It has been very reliable & great to drive. I've gotten over 30mpg on long trips, I use the cruise control all the time. 16mpg in town is a bummer though. It's powerful,roomy with tons of storage space. Lots of leg room & comfy seats. Ive always like the way the radio lowers itself when the outside noise lowers, it lowers. I kept all weather tires on it for snow in Utah. It drove and handled great in snow, ice & rainy roads/weather. I'd buy it again but the 2012 Imps have terrible ratings. I truely love this car."

My 2002 Chevy Impala

Good solid car.

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

"Few problems after early transmission failure at about 30,000 miles. Dealer would not help with problem since it was just over 3 years old."

I would buy 18 of these

By on Monday, February 20, 2012

Pros: "Reliable. Safe. Beastly."

Cons: "Gas mileage has gone from avg. to poor over time."

"I bought this car used. It already had 160,000 miles on it (mostly highway miles--I know the previous owner). I have had it for four years and it is now an 11 year old vehicle. Outside of normal wear and tear/maintenance (oil changes, replacing worn break pads) I have put exactly $60 into this car. I replaced the resonator which had a hole in it and had gotten very loud over a long period of time. The car's performance has been phenomenal. I have never had a problem with it that did not allow me to drive it. It has had minor electrical problems--but considering the age of the car and the price I paid for it, I'm not worried about those kinds of things. The point is, if you are looking for reliability, safety, durability and endurance, this is your car. The thing is a tank. It thinks it is a truck in the snow. It will win in a fight with any other car. I would joust in this thing. Incredible. Superior. Runs like a dream. LOVE THIS CAR!"

One of Chevy's Better Products

By on Thursday, November 24, 2011

Pros: "price mpg comfort space"

"This car has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I have only had one maintenance problem in the 6 years that I have owned it and that was a small pump in the Trans that needed replacement at about 100000 miles. althought it is showing some age at the moment, I do not intend to sell it. I intend to have it rebuilt and keep it another 6 years. I have the V-Six and I like to brag that my 2005 Impala is a full size car that gets 33 mpg and which is equal to most of the so called compact efficient cars of the recent past"

By on Thursday, February 18, 2010

"bought used the car now has 120000 miles on it no problems ,Great gas MPG 32mpg.. Would buy another ,but for now we drive this one everyday no plans to sell or trade!"

Excellant car

By on Sunday, January 17, 2010

"I bought my Impala used in 2005 with 100k on it from the origional owners who maintained it regularly and took excellant care of it. I have had very few problems with it and now have 145k on it. Still looks great and I would not be afraid to take a trip anywhere in it. Which goes to show if you maintain & take care of a vehicle it will last!! GO CHEVROLET!!USA & PROUD OF IT!!"

A money pit..

By on Thursday, December 24, 2009

"We got our 2001 Impala at 3yrs with 36,000 miles. This is a poorly made car. Neither dependable or reliable. This car hit the point of deminishing returns long ago. I expected to have this car for 10 yrs and 150,000! Even my mechanic said it was becoming a money pit and recommended getting a newer one! It didn't qualify for cash for clunkers although it certainly was a clunker"

BEST CAR EVER MADE

By on Wednesday, May 6, 2009

"2002 Impala. Purchased in 2004. Leather interior, heat seats. Most comfortable ride, awesome gas mileage, fits 3 car seats in the back seat. This car has over 200,000 miles. I have never had to put it in the shop. I have never had to fix anything on it. Ideal for anyone who is looking for a dependable, efficient vehicle. Very sporty looking, awesome safety features. I have 2 children and 2 step-children, and the whole family fits. I Refuse to drive a momma-van. The trunk is amazingly huge. I LOVE IT !"

Yearly Fix

By on Thursday, January 8, 2009

"We bought a 2002 Impala in 2005 with 35K. Once per year there was something that cost big $$ to fix. The steering rack went out at only 50K ($1000 all told). The tab for the windshield wiper parking position broke ( a common problem with these cars) and cost $400 to fix what should be a $3 part. The blower motor resistor and motor went out at 60K. The 2-piece windshield washer reservoir is a constant annoyance. Our turn signals don't work at times, unless the hazard lights are turned on and off. At 80K, the stereo quit. I thought it was the amp, but the dealer wants >$600 for a new one!! I just laughed. The drivetrain has been rock solid, but the typical problems known to these cars have all seemed to crop up in mine."