2008 Chevrolet Equinox

7.2

Based on 815 Ratings for the 2005 - 2009 models.

7.6/10
    7.5/10

Much Better Than Expected

By on Thursday, February 12, 2009

"As a loyal GM owner, I chose the '08 Equinox 2LT AWD to replace the S10 extended cab I had been driving for 6+ years. I was looking for something more versatile, yet also more fuel efficient. I do not do much local driving but frequently drive across New York state or south to Ohio and wanted something comfortable for both my fiancee and I, as well something that would handle well in the upstate NY winter weather. We also wanted a vehicle that could hold another couple that we wanted to bring along. I have owned this vehicle for almost 11 months, putting on 9,900 miles and LOVE IT! In the good weather, I have gotten 27mpg hwy/ 20.5 city. It is outstanding to take roadtrips in... especially with the heated leather seats. The back seat has plenty of room for 3 people and seats 2 full-size adults comfortably. Since winter began, mileage has obviously dropped, but the AWD is as good or better than 4WD in my opinion. During our first snowstorm of the year in Buffalo I was afraid of being stuck when we tried to drive downtown to the Sabres game in a fresh foot of unplowed snow. The Equinox didn't slip once and I was able to keep on driving past stuck 2WD cars. The only downside to the AWD is that the car gets only 14-15mpg in long periods of heavy snow- since the computer senses when to use the AWD. Otherwise- I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone- VERY underrated!"

Great ride, very reliable.

By on Thursday, July 25, 2013

Pros: "Overall design, can handle larger size people."

Cons: "Changing head-lamp is a pain."

"Being a taller person finding a ride with good head-room is hard to do. This vehicle has it all, lots of great features, very reliable, milage isn't great - but what can you do. Handles great in winter and can haul just about anything. This vehicle is very comfortable, combination bus, truck & SUV. Nicest feature about this is it's slim. You can fit into any normal parking spot very easily."

Better than I expected!

By on Thursday, March 15, 2012

"When I bought the Equinox, I was in the market for a full size car. I just got it because of the price and the head room. It has ended up being the best car!! My favorite feature is being able to slide the rear seat forward and back. Its perfect for kids, and even comfortable for adults in the back seat. There is more leg room in my back seat than my friend's Tahoe. The gas mileage is good, I can park it anywhere, and there's tons of room for all of mine and my kids' junk!"

good family car

By on Friday, December 19, 2008

"My wife drives it most of the time. The main reason we bought it was the back seat roominess, great for getting kids out of car seats. Side air curtains. Decent mileage and pep. There are many blind spots and the turning radius is awful! The AWD in this vehicle leaves much to be deisred. My Audu A4 AWD will do circles in snow around the Equinox. The AWD is overated and not a value for this car. My wife enjoys the vehicle and it has been very reliable overall."

Great little SUV

By on Saturday, June 21, 2008

"I have had my 08 Equinox for 4 months. I did have a Saturn Ion, but needed something bigger for my son and myself and out of all of the SUVs and midsize cars I looked at, this had the most room in the back seat so my son could sit back there and have plenty of leg room, all the others his knees would hit the back of the front seat with it all the way back. Gas mileage I can not complain, yes we all want more, but I took mine to Tennessee and averaged 27 mpg only about 6-7 miles less then my Ion (which was plastic, 4 cyl, and front wheel drive as where the equinox is metal, 6 cyl, and AWD). So far I love this vehicle."

By on Tuesday, March 11, 2008

"I purchased this vehicle used in August of 2007 with 33k miles. It is an LT AWD with all available optional equipment. The feature-per-dollar ratio and exterior styling was the initial attraction to the vehicle. The interior is comfortable, but the vast array of plastic surfaces render a rather down market feel. The ride is very car-like, but handling is typical SUV sloppy. There have been no problems to date with this vehicle in over a year aside from routine oil changes and tire replacements. I would recommend this as a used vehicle to someone wanting a low-cost, low-maintenance SUV; however, avoid any negative equity into the final sale price as residual values of this vehicle are terrible."

Back in the shop

By on Friday, September 4, 2009

"My transmission - the electrical components have all been replaced and the sensors are still faulty. I have enjoyed this vehicle tremendously for the 4 years I've owned it. However, just this year it's been in the shop 6 times. I'm hoping if you are looking for a new Equinox the quality has improved. Unfortunately I had a similar experience with my prior GM vehicle - 3 years of excellent performance and then around 60K it went downhill. The service department has been helpful, but not been able to determine the problem in order to fix it. Make sure to shop the service department before you buy anything as well. Hope this note helps in your search."

Great mid size cross over

By on Wednesday, March 25, 2009

"Bought our 2005 Equinox in June of 2004. We have 50000 miles and have never had it in the shop yet. Gets great gas mileage. My wife loves it because it is easy to park anywhere. Plenty of room in the back seat since it adjusted. We got the all wheel drive and handles great in the snow."

Nice Vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 23, 2008

"I have had my 05 Equinox for about 7 months. I think it is very nice, dependable....very roomy inside. Some of the moldings (inside and out) are loose, which is a concern. Not the highest quality as far as the body and trim go. But, for the money, not a bad vehicle at all. Rides very nice. I drive it quite a bit on the turnpike, and it goes well on long trips. Would be interested to see if the newer models have better quality trim/body"

needs improving

By on Wednesday, September 19, 2007

"I was attracted to this vehicle because it was a small SUV and better on gas than the larger ones. Overall I like the car but, have some complaints... 1. Terrible blind spots from the front windshield left and right. The frame a of the window can easily block the view of a motorcyle and even oncoming cars. 2. Car does not always crank on first try. 3. Paint on interior door handles, knobs on radio, power window controls is chipping off."

Nice SUV

By on Monday, July 9, 2007

"I have had no trouble with my Equinox. But I do think people should know before buying one that they have Electronic Starters and there is some problems with the that. Sometimes when I go to start mine it will continue to turn over and sometimes start and sometimes not, if not, it can knock out your power steering when you do restart. I had this happen and the dealer told me this was normal...I don't think it is normal, should it be normal. I have had mine in 3 times and they say its normal. I think GM needs to do something about this. Other than that I like my Equinox."

I've loved this car ever since I bought it.

By on Saturday, March 24, 2012

Pros: "Great handling--love it."

Cons: "Blind spots."

"I have recommended this car to a lot of people. The only thing I had a problem with is that I am short and need two cushions to be able to see out the window. The seat does not adjust high enough. Also there are 2 blind spots for me. I have to be very careful backing up and making turns--(both left and right). Other than that, I love the car and am thinking of getting a new one."

Great for a Family of four!

By on Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pros: "Traction Control!, Good family car"

"I love this car! The best feature that this car has is traction control. There has been many times that it has saved me from sliding across ice on the interstate and when we lived in Georgia it was great on the wet roads!The back seat is adjustable to give more leg room if needed or trunk space if needed too. We too this car on a cross country drive twice and it was amazing. The interior is tan and with kids thats not a good thing but they do clean easy with soap and water. I don't really have anything to say negative about it other than it is not going to fit my growing family. If they were all out of car seats it would definitely work."

Love it! Our 2nd EQ. Great value/reliability.

By on Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Our car is comfortable, handles well, gets fair gas mileage (24mpg). The only negative is excessive road noise on certain types of highway toppings."

dead at 135k

By on Friday, December 9, 2011

Pros: "Lot's of space to carry bikes and sporting gear in"

Cons: "uncomfortable, anti driving experience"

"This isn't the wolds worst car but certainly not the most reliable. I know each car is different but the one I have had transmission replaced at 77,000 miles and now need a new engine at 135,000. I never liked the seats or huge blind spots from the rear headrests and small rear side windows."

good in the snow, but interior is lacking

By on Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pros: "good to drive"

Cons: "interior is not impressive"

"the seats and carpet stain easily, all the paint around the center console chipped off and the chevy emblem fell off within a month, its good to drive and great in the snow, but the inside is def. cheaply made!"

excellent mid-size SUV

By on Friday, March 18, 2011

"We bought our 2008 Equinox LT2 in Feb. 09 to replace our 1999 Blazer. The car was 11 months old and had 10,800 miles. It had been bought by a major rental agency and used in Virginia, sold at auction in Florida, and bought by a Ford/Mazda dealer in Baton Rouge. The history report was clean as a whistle. The Equinox is a larger vehicle than the S10 Blazer. The rear doors are very wide, and with the rear seat slid back, even very tall people have no difficulty entering and exiting, and have plenty of knee, leg, and head room back there. With the seat slid all the way forward, there is more cargo space than in our Blazer. The rear seat-back releases are easier to reach than the Blazer, but they don't lay flat when folded as the Blazer's did. I am told that in the new body style 2010's and 11's, they now fold flat. I have owned two Corvettes, and several other "muscle" cars in my younger days, and have a 6.0L GM truck right now. I was pleasantly surprised by the drive train in the Equinox. Acceleration and passing are excellent for this size vehicle, and the 5-speed transmission is smooth and very well programmed. As yet, I have never felt that the Equinox needed more power. (Most of the newer models have 4-cylinder engines, not the V6.) The only negative thing I have to say here is that the Equinox's 5-speed (not the Equinox Sport's 6-speed) automatic transmission control has only D-I-L positions on the shift quadrant. You cannot hold any gear (O/D, 3,2,1) as with the GM 4-speed automatics except "low" gear. The "I" position is supposed to downshift to hold back your speed going downhill. Here in the Texas Hill Country, it doesn't do much holding back down steep grades. I can't imagine going down a steep grade in Colorado. Fortunately, however, the Equinox has the best brakes I have ever had on a vehicle, and that includes my Gen 3 Corvettes and late model GM trucks. It stops VERY quickly, VERY Straight, and in a VERY short distance with absolutely no brake fade. (The anti-lock feature works great, too. I have never triggered the stability system into operation.) Shifting into "L" will not bring the trans down 1 gear at a time until it slows sufficiently to shift into Low, IT WILL SHIFT INTO "LOW!" RIGHT NOW. Don't try it! The unit body is very tight, no squeaks or rattles, the seats are comfortable (although I wish the slick leather seats had "bolsters" on each side to hold me in place.) Seat heaters work fine. I was a little dubious about the electric power steering, but it's also great. I don't know why some people said they can't "zip" into a parking space (should you ever "zip" around in a public parking lot, or in between two parked cars while turning?). The steering is very quick, has good feel, and is easy to hold steady on a constant-radius turn (like circular freeway entrance and exit ramps). This mid-size Sport Utility Vehicle's handling is superb for an SUV, easily surpassing the maneuverability of some cars we owned as recently as the mid-90's. It can be driven hard if needed in an emergency, under full control. Just in case, there's the electronically-controlled stability system, but even when speedily winding through our deserted and curving secondary roads at or above the speed limit, I've never triggered it, and the vehicle has never felt unstable, even though it's fairly tall (it doesn't "feel" top-heavy). The LT2's upgraded semi-chromed 17-inch wheels and tires (16-inch are standard on LS and LT1) make the Equinox ride firmly, but it's never harsh unless you hit some REALLY buckled or potholed pavement. But if there's no oncoming traffic to worry about, most of this can be easily dodged in this vehicle without ever feeling as though you're driving a box van. The handling really impresses me, for a grocery-getter SUV. After 25 months of ownership, we now have 34,800 miles on our Equinox. It's still very tight, and tread wear is just beginning to be slightly noticeable. I can almost say that we have had absolutely no trouble with ours, but I can't. When we bought it, the plastic license plate pal-nut, into which you thread the screw had fallen into the tailgate, and our local dealer had to remove the access panel inside the tailgate to replace it. And last winter, the windshield washers stopped squirting (the pump was running fine, the reservoir full). Our local dealership had to remove both washer lines and clean them out (he said they were full of dirt and aluminum corrosion). They are working fine now. And that's the extent of our repairs on the Equinox. The AM/FM/CD/MP3/Satellite sound system works great, and I'm glad it does. My major complaint about our Equinox? Excessive road noise. I noticed that when driving new ones before we bought this one. In defense of the Equinox, I will say that I think a large part of the problem is the tires. On Texas' roads resurfaced with the tiny artificial gravel they've used for 25 or 30 years, the tires make so much noise you can't hear normal conversation or the radio at highway speeds unless you turn it up quite a bit. However, if you hit a stretch of pavement that's been repaired with fresh, smooth asphalt, things suddenly get ghostly quiet in there. As with a Chrysler Concorde we had back in the 90's, as soon the Equinox needs tires, I'm going to search out the quietest-rated tires I can find. That made a world of difference on that Chrysler, and I hope it helps this car, too. We are well satisfied with our Equinox. Although it's a "utility vehicle" (and we have hauled stuff inside), it's a SPORT utility vehicle.... and you could almost call it "fun" to drive. We have very few complaints. By the way, if your vehicle has been involved in a crash, and not repaired properly, or you have neglected maintenance or not heeded gauge or driver information center warnings and your engine disintegrates, THIS IS NOT THE MANUFACTURER'S FAULT. Pay no heed to such negative reports. Such people could destroy an anvil with a ball-peen hammer."

Ok for 1st 3 years

By on Tuesday, December 22, 2009

"Bought this car new and had front strut problems from the get go. Good thing the warranty covered all that.Services are as regular as you can get it done. My wife drives the car so it is well taken care of. Seats get bad stains with any liquid that spills on it. Have changed the brakes once and still have a squeak in the front. On last maintenance we were told that A/C needs replacing (1200.00) to fix. A month later fuel pump went in ( 1800.00) to fix it. To much problems for a well maintained car. Car drives very good but not sure if we would get another one like it again. Front buttons wore off pretty fast."

BEST SUV

By on Sunday, December 13, 2009

"PURCHASED SUMMER OF 2005, VERY IMPRESSED WITH THE ROOM BETWEEN PASSENGER AND DRIVER, EXCELLENT HANDLING. I HAVE HAD THIS VEHICHLE FOR 4 YEARS NOW, WOULD NEVER LET IT GO. CONSTANTLY COMPARED TO LEXUS $10K MORE, LEXUS PEOPLE LOVE THE EQUINOX. THE 05 HAS ROOF RACK, WHEREAS 09 DOES NOT. WISH NOW I WOULD OF PURCHASED AWD, DUE TO MY OWN DRIVING HABITS/PLACES I GO. SILVER KEEPS CLEAN LONGER,WIDE WHEEL TURNING RADIUS TO THINK OF. IN 4 YRS I REPLACED A/C CONDENSOR AND FRONT BRAKES. NOTHING ELSE. AWESOME LOOKING, I ADDED A SUN ROOF, VERY DEPENDABLE AND RELIABLE VEHICLE. GAS MILEAGE IS AT 22."

dont buy

By on Monday, April 20, 2009

"I traded in a car that I loved to get something with better gas millage:{ I have put 3 new sets of tires on this car, my ignitions has always been alittle testy. When I start it, sometimes it want to continue starting. The seats are terrable stained, paint wearing off on all buttons in the front. Just had the fuel pump replaced at 76000 miles. That was an expence I didnt need:{ 1200.00 All in all I hate this car and Im stuck with it for another year and a half:{ Dont do it its not worth it"

GOOD VEHICLE

By on Thursday, April 16, 2009

"I WAS SKEPTICAL AT FIRST BECAUSE I OWNED A CAMARY PRIOR AND ALWAYS LOVED TOYOTAS. THIS SUV HAS BEEN FUN TO DRIVE, HAS LOTS OF ROOM AND FOR 3 YEARS HAS BEEN MAINTENANCE FREE, EXCEPT OIL CHANGES. THE NOISE LEVEL INSIDE THE CABIN IS A DRAW BACK - BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE A TRUCK, NOT A LUXURY CAR. IT HANDLES GREAT IN SNOW AND ICE. GAS MILEAGE ISN'T FANTASTIC, BUT NOT HORRIBLE."

worst vehicle ever

By on Wednesday, September 24, 2008

"From the day I purchased, the a/c has smelled. Dealer has told me I will have to live with it several times. Leather seat pops apart at the seams. Visor mirror covers are broken. Bulbs always burning out. This is a good vehicle if you want a poor mans suv but in the long run it will cost you a fortune. Did I mention the transmission has made a funny sound since purchased but they cant duplicate it. Car is now out of warranty-I am sure they will find the problem!"

great vehicle

By on Friday, September 5, 2008

"Have had this vehicle now for almost two years. Not one problem. Runs great, rides great, looks great. Get many compliments on style. Good gas mileage also. Remote start and Onstar are excellent features and provide a lot of conveience. When this one wears out (if it ever does) I will buy another one."

great value

By on Thursday, September 4, 2008

"I've had my equinox for about 6 months now. I bought it used, and have had one minor problem which was a recall and the dealer fixed before I bought it. Everyone that is complaning about fixing tires, etc. News.. every car has problems from time to time. Tires are going to need to be replaced after 2 or so years. Don't complain about it just fix it! I put brand new tires on mine right after I bought it.. true it cost me $500 but it was worth it knowing that I can get in the car and take off anytime without having to worry about them! If your not getting good gas mileage then there is a problem (air filter, fuel pump) and you need to get it looked at.. It should get around the same that the manual says.. I get around 24 all the time. I think its a great car for the money, right after I bought mine, my parents bought one as well!"

Not thrilled with this...

By on Monday, October 31, 2011

Pros: "Good leg room in back seat"

Cons: "Cheap plastic pieces, not a good value"

"We bought this new and it now has 110,000 miles on it. I would not purchase this vehicle again. It stinks to drive in the rain and snow and that is with its traction control feature. There are so many little pieces of things that have broken; seat handle, glove box handle, we have been through 4 headlamps! This car has depreiciated very quickly and hasn't been a good value. I average 21 to 22 mpg with both city and highway miles daily. It does have nice leg room in the back seat compared to others in its class, but overall a disappointing purchase."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Equinox near Honolulu. See local deals