1998 Chevrolet Corvette

9.5

Based on 693 Ratings for the 1997 - 2004 models.

9.7/10
    9.8/10

My fourth Vette, best yet.

By on Thursday, April 25, 2013

Pros: "fun to drive, great trunk for conv"

Cons: "not enough sun shine in CT"

"Being the last year of the C5 model I believe has all of the little issues worked out. Would love to have move into a C6 or C7 but can't justify the cost as this one is without issue and only used for summer months."

Z06 - Truly FAST Traffic

By on Thursday, April 17, 2008

"I purchased my 2003 Z06 Corvette used from a Chevy Dealer in 2007 and is my third Corvette. I am a 'Boomer' and a very experienced driver. I've had performance cars all my life, including a 1970 SS-396/375 w/ solid lifters, 1986 Dodge Shelby Charger, 1992 Corvette, 2000 Corvette Coupe and a 1990 Mustang HO 5.0 Notchback. Compared to this Z06, all my previous cars are irrelevant and crude. My Z06 becomes a part of me when I'm driving. It's responsive to every input...my every thought...my every twitch on the gas pedal and steering wheel. ----She's unbelievably FAST, and seems to get a 'second-wind' as I shift up through the power band. My Z06 is a totally different driving experience than my 2000 Vette. The 2000 is a great winter and foul-weather car...also fast in her own right, a much smoother ride...a cruiser...a wonderful, comfortable daily drive. The Z06 is a rougher ride...tighter, noisier...almost a race car that you can drive every day. So far, I have not been able to find enough safe, open road to explore the full potential of the Z06. ----The 2003 Z06 up's: Super Power with no modifications necessary, high-G road holding and turning abilities, excellent brakes, head-up display really works! (I wouldn't buy a Vette without head-up), wonderful Millennium Yellow paint, great gas mileage that keeps getting better (23.2 average driving to work in-town everyday. 26.6 on a recent trip from Maryland to SC - compared to 28.2 with my 2000 Vette). ----The 2003 Z06 down's: Cheap leather seats w/ weak seat-backs, notchy stiff shifter, unable to find all-season/winter tires or run-flats for my Z06 at any price (Goodyear F1 supercar summer tires only are recommended). ----FINAL WORDS: 2008 is a great time for 'muscle cars', sports cars and big power. But, Premium gasoline prices are hitting $3.70 a gallon now and predicted to go to $4.00, perhaps even $5.00 a gallon. The new CAFE standards will require 35-MPG per model by 2020. Therefore, the future of performance cars is uncertain at best. So, if you have any thoughts about buying a car of this ilk, this may be your last chance to follow your dream. My credo is 'For the money, a good used Corvette is generally better than almost any NEW car on the road today'. They hold their value well and driving a Vette elevates you into an exclusive Club inhabited only by you and your fellow Corvette drivers. The 2003 Z06 is safer, faster, stronger, better than every 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's muscle car I've ever driven...and, I've driven many! So, (in Vette-speak) pursue your passion! Buy a Vette. Remember to 'Save the Wave' and acknowledge fellow Vette drivers whenever you see them. -DJ"

Quintessential American Sports car

By on Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Pros: "Best bang for the buck I have ever seen!!"

"Incredibly fun to drive, a huge head turning quotent, powerful, agile, beautiful to look at standing still or at 120 MPH on the track. The only minus (and a VERY small one) is that it can be a bit uncomfortable on a long trip (over two hours). BUT!! Come on! It's a Corvette!"

fast fun and great gas mileage if you can go easy!

By on Thursday, December 27, 2012

Pros: "great car for the $"

Cons: "parts are pricey"

"these are great cars with crazy 0-60 and a top speed you wont touch....up to 30 mpg lots of cosmetic upgrades to make them your own and just a nice car all around"

Solid reliable true sports car.

By on Saturday, March 31, 2012

Pros: "Best bargain in a supercar anywhere in the world"

Cons: "Can't bring home a sheet of plywood"

"Bought it new, had few problems. Tradeoffs are all up front--it's a real sports car, so ride is solid, without a lot of extra room for driver-passenger. But, the trunk's pretty spacious, even in the ragtop, and the heads-up display quickly became a favorite feature. Just look thru it and match it up to the road sign to be sure you're not attracting unwanted attention. Acceleration is all anybody ever needs, and handling is extremely sporty and predictable--with override on the traction control, if you ever want to go back to basics to spin a doughnut or swing the back end out to make a tight u-turn somewhere. Still looks great and gets interest (I'm an extrovert) after 10 years."

corners very well, accelerates and stops quickly,

By on Sunday, February 12, 2012

Pros: "handles well, fun to pass, accelerates well"

Cons: "expensive to fix, sits low, difficult to ent/exit"

"corners very well, accelerates and stops quickly, attractive, eye catching, draws positive attention, driving into a headwind the car seems to press down to the road and handles even better, great car to pass in on 2-lane roads - out and back in lane in almost no time, doesn't take much room to pass, surprising more storage space than expected Negatives little hard to get into and out of, sits very low, doesn't like speed bumps or road kill, like most sports cars, repair shops see you coming - not cheap to fix anything, only 1 cup holder"

Overall A Good Car

By on Saturday, August 22, 2009

"This reveiw applies only to the 1997-2004 5th Generation Corvette. Cons: The interior fit and finish. GM should have used higher quality leather throughout the car and designed a more suitable seat for the type of driving this car is intended for. They should have also built better/more sturdy door panels. This is GM's flagship automobile. The quality should be the best they can produce. Most purchasers of this auto would gladly pay the additional $1000-$3000 per unit it would require to improve the interior. The "Corvette Tax" is also a major pain. Vendors seem to figure, if they'll buy a 'vette, they'll pay a premium for mods and accessories. Nothing for a 'vette is cheap or reasonably priced, by any standard other than Corvette or maybe Harley-Davidson. Pros: IT IS A CORVETTE. Super car-ish performance for the person on a budget. The car accelerates, stops, and corners like nothing most people have ever driven. It looks great and is, mostly, reliable. I can park my 1998 next to a 2008 and draw as much or more attention. The air conditioner is great, even in my convertible. The Bose stereo is good, although mine found a trash can soon after I bought the car. The sound quality was more than adequate for all but the audiophiles among us, but the quantity of the sound was not enough for me while driving with the top down. The gauge cluster is informative a pleasant to look at. The car has ample storage top up or down. You can carry enough luggage for 2 people to spend 7+ days away from home and still enjoy top down cruising on the way to and from your destination. Would I buy again? YES Would I suggest it to a friend? Yes I give it 4 out of 5 stars overall!"

Zoooooooooooom!!!!!

By on Friday, November 14, 2008

"We've owned our arctic white coupe for over 4 years and it still looks like it's brand new. It's not a garage queen...we drive it around 10K/year. The only limitations are winter weather driving. It's the most comfortable car we own. Mileage on the highways is close to 30mpg. Needless to say it's FAST when you want it to be. We strongly recommend getting a coupe for several reasons. The most impotant reason being the HUGE trunk space. It also has more trunk space than any of our other cars. We take trips throughout the year and there's plenty of room...two sets of golf clubs, two decent sized soft-sided suitcases, two ice chests and all the wife's other cosmetic bags, etc. Second..the body style of a coupe cannot be beat. And thirdly...When you take the top(s) off (we have both solid and glass tops we interchange), you have a built in rollbar for extra safety (for the wife's peace of mind)...not that it's going to ever roll over the way it's built. Last but not least....these cars can last forever. I have friends who have over 200,000 miles on their vettes and have had little major problems."

My best Vette

By on Monday, September 1, 2008

"Over the years I have owned 7 vetts from a 66 427 convertable to my 99 C5. I have had this one for 3 Years now and it is the best Vette I have ever owned. Comfort, reliablity and economy you can't beat it. For an old man of 60 now I need the lixury and comfort this C5 delivers. All I have had to do with this one is Wash Wax Change the Oil and 1 set of tires. The rest of the time I just enjoy it. Like Jay Leno says you don't need a shrink when you ownn a Vette. All you need to do is just run it through the gears and you troubles are GONE !!!!!!!!"

99 Vette Rag Top

By on Saturday, August 18, 2007

"First Vette, am happy with it but the ride can be bumpy, performance is great, has all options except magnesium wheels, no problems with anything so far, however it only has 20,000 miles. I've decided to keep it stock. Concerns I have is that the radio/heater lights flicker when idling. Very fun to drive but hate to park in a public lot. It sits very low so much care is needed when parking, steep inclines, and debirs on the road. It also has a few sqeaks-not Lexus quality."