2008 Chevrolet Aveo

7.0

Based on 773 Ratings for the 2004 - 2010 models.

7.1/10
    7.1/10
    7.3/10
    7.4/10

Accident Awareness

By on Sunday, August 10, 2008

"Unfortunately recently as of yesterday my car was tottaled. I had a Chevy Aveo 2007. Ran perfect never had any problems. I loved the car because it was a great value and good quality. My parents purchased it in outlook of the safety of the vehicle. To our dismay yesterday when a car t-boned us and desecrated the passenger side of the automobile only to continue pushing it over so it landed on our drivers side, the side curtain airbags failed to show any use. Not a single airbag in our vehicle came out. Fortunately neither one of us, my mother [driver] or myself the [passenger] had any major injuries (just some scrapes and bruises from where we were hanging by the seatbelt). The car body did an ok job of holding up, yet when impacted compartments inside the vehicle also ended up broken, most likely because of the velocity of the crash. In conclusion, the car was liable and drove well, never any major complaints. I just wanted to let others know about the so called excellent 'safety' of this vehicle."

Loved it at first, Cooling to lukewarm now...

By on Saturday, August 4, 2012

Pros: "fun to drive, roomy in front, price"

Cons: "repair bills adding up"

"We bought our 2006 Aveo used, it had about 65,000 miles on it from being a rental. Now, at 90,500 miles, we have had several problems. The timing belt broke. The struts went shot, and it's was $ 1,000 to fix, just had to replace the thermostat cover, it blew and left me stranded. Had to replace tires twice because of the struts, before we figured out the struts were shot. Now the motor is having issues and we are waiting to find out how much it will be to fix it this time. It started off as a very reliable car, but now it seems to be one thing after another going wrong."

Bang for your buck.

By on Saturday, October 15, 2016

Pros: "Good price, fun car to drive, reliable"

Cons: "Maintenance can be pricey, lackluster interior."

My 2004 Aveo

"I've had my 2004 Aveo for almost 5 years. I have never had any serious problems with my Aveo. I researched my car before I bought it. All that I can say to people who are interested in buying one of these is pay attention to the timing belt. If that goes, the Aveo goes. With that being said, I had mine replaced about 30,000 miles ago. I currently have approx. 140,000 miles on my Aveo. Also, I had to have my catalytic converter replaced as well. The maintenance repairs for the car tend to be more expensive compared to other vehicles. Maintenance is inevitable and the only reason I mention it here is that it can be pricey. If anything breaks, I suggest going to a junk yard for replacement parts. Moving on. The car itself is fun to drive in my opinion. I've never owned a sub-compact vehicle prior to the Aveo. It has tight handling, never feels awkward on the road, and due to the size of the vehicle is a breeze to parallel park. (Which is a plus for me personally!) My only complaint about the car is lack of power. Going up steep inclines can be a chore for the Aveo. People say this vehicle is a gas saver. Not really. I'm not saying that it doesn't get decent gas mileage, but it's not great either. For a car in the sub-compact class, it should have better gas mileage. Compared to other cars manufactured around the same time, the Aveo isn't quite as good as it's competition. The car can be found at a low price. That's why I recommend this vehicle. It is a great value. As long as you take of it, the Aveo will take care of you."

My 2004 Aveo

Good Value

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Pros: "Good Value"

Cons: "one cup holder os round and the other is square"

"This car is a little small for me but I am taller than average I bought this car used a year ago and have not experienced any problems The only thing that i have done to the car is changed the timing belt and water pump but any four cylinder car has to have the timing belt changed between 60,000 to 100,000 miles it is normal maintenance and not very expensive to do i paid $230.00 at the dealer fun car to drive with good visibility decent handling and good gas mileage if i drive it at a constant 70 miles per hr I usually get around 38 miles per gallon in the city around 28 mpg"

Cheap to Buy , Very Expensive to Own

By on Friday, April 6, 2012

Pros: "Cheap to Buy"

Cons: "Very expensive to own"

"We bought this car for our daughter used with 35000 miles on it . Problems include door lock parts fell apart inside door,valve cover gasket leaked into spark plugs causing misfires(dealership wanted to sell us a new head, we found an honest mechanic who fixed it). Rear brakes fell apart backing up, this locked up the drum and back plate all had to be replaced. And several thousand dollars worth of front end work done at 70000 miles . I am a chevy Man always have been but this car is an embarassment. This car was cheap to buy initially but very expensive to own."

Great car for a low price.

By on Monday, January 6, 2014

Pros: "great price, low maintenance, fun to drive"

Cons: "only has a radio in SVM, no bells/whistles"

"I bought this car as a grad student and it fit my budget. It gets me where I need to go, which, for me right now, is exactly what I need. I am a scientist and need to haul coolers and as long as no one needs to sit in the back seat, it hauls my gear just fine! There is some room in the trunk but it's not super-spacious. I've replaced the timing belt and had to replace a wheel bearing (the latter was under warranty). I also had an issue with the door lock falling into the door recently! It was an easy fix (for the dealer), but was quite annoying. My car is a manual and at 85K, I am surprised the clutch is still in good shape. (My previous car's clutch needed to be replaced by this time, but then again I had learned how to drive stick-shift on that car...LOL). I am happy with this car overall and glad I purchased it nearly 7 years ago. I'll probably be in the market soon for a new vehicle (maybe) but happy this one has served me well. The only major complaint I have is the way the windshield is shaped. There seems to be more of a blindspot in this car than in other ones I have driven. I'm used to it, but I can see it being problematic for others."

Very satisfied - have 190,000 miles on this car

By on Sunday, April 22, 2012

Pros: "dependable, comfortable, easy to get in and out of"

Cons: "noisy cabin, doesn't cool quickly"

"I have put 190,000 miles on this 2005 hatchback car and it is still running great. It has a slight oil leak that I have not tried to deal with as it is very slight. I did replace a rear axle bearing early in the car's life, but that is the only work I've had to have done on it. The cabin is not quiet, but I don't mind that too much. Also the A/C works well but takes a while to cool the car when it's hot out as the car must not be insulated. The heater on the other hand heats the car up very well."

Great Little Car

By on Friday, August 28, 2009

"We now have 4 Aveos in our family. A 2004, 2005, 2007 and just bought q new 2009. They have all been extremely reliable, dependable and economical to opoerate. I am 6' 3" tall and have plenty of room both head and leg. For the money I consider it to be the best in its class."

Great Car 2 Drive

By on Monday, February 18, 2008

"I bought my 04 when they first came out (in 2004). I absolutely LOVE my little orange rollerskate. I bought the automatic, which I'm grateful for. The get up and go that this little car has is very suprising, the looks on the faces of the people in their big fancy cars when we blow pass them going up-hill is the best. I bought an upgraded model. It has the premium sound system with mp3, tinted windows, tilt wheel, rear spoiler and premium wheels. I replaced the original tires at 14000 miles and it does ride better. Since I replaced the tires my mpg has gone up to 36mpg. I have no bad things to say about this car. Its wonderful and I would and have suggested to others looking to buy a new car to look at the Chevy AVEO. By the way, I am 6 feet tall and most of my friends are 6 feet and taller. We all fit very comfortably in this car, there is a suprising amount of room from the tops of our heads to the roof of the car. Plus we all have long legs which is not a problem. My daughter and I have taken several cross crountry trips and have been more then comfortable on them. I have had NO mechanical problems, I just make sure I change the oil and rotate the tires when I'm supposed to. If your looking for a good, reliable, non gas guzzler, comfortable and cute car-then you should check out the AVEO."

Good Basic Transportation

By on Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Pros: "Easy to drive, Affordable, Practical"

Cons: "Acceleration, Blind Spots, Plastic Armrest"

Just Purchased!

"Owned the car two years. Drove 20,000 mi through major snow and rain. Some long drives, four were 500 mi, and one 1,300 mi trip. Surprisingly comfortable for long trips, CC is a must. Roadibility is good in every area except acceleration, and with AC on forget it. Can pack an amazing amount of stuff if squeeze it all in carefully. Seems to have average repairs for age and mileage. Issues: 1. Huge blind spots in this car, always look twice. 2. Hard plastic armrest on door is misery. 3. Check engine light comes constantly for no reason."

Just Purchased!

Very dependable.

By on Saturday, May 3, 2014

"Our Aveo has been very dependable. It has averaged 35 to 37 mpg. It is not as quiet as more expensive cars. We have been very happy with it."

At first I was in Love, no longer feeling the Love

By on Thursday, June 28, 2012

Pros: "Gas Mileage, get up and go for such a small car."

Cons: "Maintenance, Small, backseat isn't comfortable."

"We first bought this car thinking the mileage would be good. It started out great. Then we had to replace tires like crazy. The car just doesn't drive right according to mechanics. Radiator blew in it. Mileage deteriorated quickly. It seems there is always something that needs fixed with this car. I know cars need maintenance, but this much is becoming too much. The value of the car almost makes it no worth it to fix it. After getting this car, we found out 2 years later that a carseat does not work well in this car. The middle of the backseat is higher than the rest therefore the carseat does not fit there, and to put it behind the front seats means you have to move that seat forward quite a bit making it uncomfortable for the person in the front. The backseat is really small and really only seats kids in boosters well. Must have short legs to fit back there. Loved our little Jellybean for the first year, (bought in 09'), but it's becoming too much of a problem."

bigbangforlittlebucks

By on Monday, December 31, 2007

"Purchased the vehicle as a second choice to no inventory of solid used cars. It was a Red Tag Dealer Special. The vehicle is quiet, peppy, handles well. It has great standard features for the trim (LS Hatch) level. It does not have ABS - I don't feel that a vehicle this size needs it if one is an pre-ABS, experienced, driver. I was looking for a basic vehicle with a stick shift and crank windows, AC, CD/MP3 and dual side mirrors that had a low profile for urban parking. This vehicle is a comfortable commuter with very good comfort capabilities (all manual). It does what it has to do for the price point. The vehicle is serviced by the dealership that sold me the car new, and my experience has been excellent. I had only a few minor trim defects fixed and there was no problem. Recently, I detected a slight antifreeze odor outside the vehicle after a long highway trip. The dealer service department noticed that the thermostat housing was defective and replaced the defective part (overnight). I was offered courtesy transportation to and from my home; I own other vehicles and did not require a loaner. One Caveat I have not experienced the city/highway MPG it touted on the sticker. In 32K miles, I've only gotten 26/29 respectively at best estimate. This is a little disappointing as an ex- Chevy-Toyota Nova - Geo Metro owner. If I'd known that the actual MPG would deviate from the window sticker this much, I would have purchased more car. Other than this, it's been a great little vehicle."

I love my 2006 Chevy Aveo, I will not sale it!!

By on Sunday, August 21, 2016

Pros: "Fun to Drive"

Cons: "Has 3 Cup holders I like them"

"I really love my 2006 Chevy Aveo, its a LS Sedan, 4Door, Manual. It was my first car With a Manual really easy to drive, I will no sale it or trade it in I love my car. It has had minor things I've had to fix but that is with most cars When you get to 100,000 Miles now it has been Running great no issues at all."

Fine for the price

By on Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pros: "Responsive, stable handling, cost $10K new"

Cons: "low ground clearance"

"Multiple front wheel bearing replacements needed. Small electrical problems (flashing clock light when headlights on and it's damp; occasional other electrical anomalies, but nothing unduly serious). Small car, so scraping ground clearance for Vermont's "mud season", but lots of room to haul stuff if the back seats are folded down. Seems very stable in handling. Wide stance. Needs new tie-rod end at 100K miles. Leaking front MacPherson strut. Milage never better than 38 in summer with a light foot, highway driving, but roof rack likely why. ~ 27 mpg in winter in cold, with resisting studded snows, lots of friction, cold weather idling."

Wish they still made them !

By on Saturday, April 13, 2013

"I would buy another in a heartbeat. Comfortable driving, great gas milage,good hauling ability with fold-up seats and sporty looks. Only fault...cd only, no cassette player !"

Great car!A little small but great reliability.

By on Friday, May 25, 2012

Pros: "Great mpg and reliability Safe and easyto maintain"

Cons: "Rough handling on turns and limited cargo space."

"I love this car!!My dad purchased a 2007 Aveo and recommended the car to me.My dad and I have had our Aveo's for 3yrs. and my dad had over 100,000 miles and the car ran great!I did not look up any crash test ratings.But my dad was in a head on collision(with a hatchback Aveo)and both drivers walked away with only sore shoulders.I have put thousands of highway miles on my car and love it.Cruise control works great and have never had to many troubles with maintenance though the wheel bearings gave out early.(the warranty covered them) The car is a little cramped but mpg is great and it does great in-city and on highway.Handling is a little rough on sharper turns so be careful and go slower.Again the car is small so trunk space is limited.I have 4 family members(my dad,a cousin and a aunt and uncle)who own Aveo's and they would say the same thing.The car is small, a little cramped,great mpg and reliability."

You Get What You Pay For

By on Monday, January 19, 2009

"Learned a lesson here - cheapest is not best value. Mileage is disappointing for such a small car ( I average 31 mpg city/hwy). Valve job required at 69K due to broken timing belt, a $2.1K repair job (had I replaced the belt on schedule it would have still cost $750). Performance is sluggish. Front seating is very good for a car in this class. Plenty of room for 6'+ drivers, and, seating is somewhat high, so the driver gets a good view of the road ahead. To be honest, after the above noted catastrophic repair, my Aveo is running well [but slow] at 89K miles. I hope to drive it another two years, put 120K to 140K miles on it and trash it! If you have to have a new car and only have $11K to spend the Aveo is OK, but my recommendation is that your $11K would be better spent on a two year old [better] used car with 20-30K miles. Good luck!"

2006 Aveo LS hatchback

By on Thursday, February 28, 2008

"My first new car, and two years later I still couldn't be more happy with it! Great gas mileage, roomy and comfortable interior for such a small car. Decent amount of trunk space. Surprisingly large hauling area when the back seats are flipped up (I just hauled a recliner in mine!) Amazing pick-up and power, nice quiet, stable ride. Heat and AC kick in fast, but you have to aim the vents just right otherwise you get blasted in the face. Hold control is awesome in the snow. No traction problems or fishtailing in the rain. Cup holders in front if the heat/AC controls is odd, but not a real problem. I've seen the reviews about handling issues in strong wind, but it's a small car. Small cars tend to want go where the wind takes them. I had the same issue with my '87 Toyota. If you've ever driven a compact car before, you'll be able to handle it just fine. So far I've only had one minor mechanical issue with the car, but it was caused by a careless mechanic at the dealership, not a problem with the car itself. I wouldn't recommend the dealership, but the car is highly recommended. A high quality car for the price. I've let a few people borrow it, and every one of them wants one now."

I LIVE IN ALASKA W/ AN AVEO

By on Monday, December 10, 2007

"I just had to put in my 2 cents, well actually, a whole dollar's worth I suppose :) I've read several of these reviews and had to laugh! My Aveo handles BEAUTIFUL in ALASKA!! Yea...the land of SNOW and WIND....we get wind over 100MPH, and snow that's beyond a couple feet 9 months out of the year.... My car NEVER feels like it's going to "tip or be blown over" when I drive in these conditions, and as for it's "handling", it's EXCELLENT! I drive my little FRONT WHEEL drive car around in UN-PLOWED snow and it's just as good as the 4-WHEEL DRIVE car I used to own (an ol' Toyota Corolla 1989)..... I do have snow-tires with studs, and that has made a world of difference too.... The car is light and small LOOKING....it's weight doesn't affect my driving and handling, and as for the "small size", it's VERY roomy on the inside! I LOVE THIS CAR!! I have had my Aveo sense 2004, when they first were released, and I have NEVER regretted my purchase... But it's up to you, and it's your money...you can listen to these other people "complain and whine" about the technical issues, but lets face it, they must have gotten "lemons"..and ALL makes and models of vehicles are MECHANICAL & ELECTRICAL, it's impossible to not have a few that are going to have problems..... Did I mention I live in ALASKA with this car....that's one of the most extreme environments to test this car...and it's passed every test I've put it through...even steep, ICY, hills..... Take it from me...this car is worth EVERY PENNY! Oh yea...and they're starting to get a lot of fun after-market add-ons for this cute car too!!! GOOD LUCK ON YOUR AVEO DECISION!!!"

DON'T BUY Unless You are Looking for a Temp Car

By on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Pros: "Gas mileage"

Cons: "Value, parts replacements, bad ride, paint"

"When first buying this car it seemed like a great deal. The car was in very good condition and did not have any internal problems. I had read many reviews, both good and bad, before purchasing it and decided the pros overrode the cons. Boy was I wrong! As long as you have the time and money to put new parts (timing belt. struts, etc) on every 60,000 miles do NOT purchase this car. The other thing is that just a little over one year ago the car was valued on KBB at somewhere around $6,000 and now it is down to $4,600 if it is in very good condition. Also, the paint on the spoiler is awful and will have to be repainted around 50,000. As far as the drive goes, you can feel just about every nook and cranny in the road. I am thankful I have had a car that was good on gas, but 30,000 miles later I am getting rid of it and buying something more durable. This is a waste of time unless you don't have a lot of money at the time of purchase."

excellent and reliable vehicle

By on Wednesday, April 10, 2013

"i bought this car new. i change the oil every 3000 miles. changed the timing belt at 100000. have replaced the front brakes twice, the rear brakes are still very good. I have also replaced the thermostat and the belt tensioner. this car has been an unbelievable value. 185000 miles and still going strong"

chevy aveo 5

By on Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Pros: "37 mpg great car to drive"

Cons: "set belt snap gets into my side after 300 mile rid"

"I have put 3 sets of tires and a new a/c unit on this car and it runs great with 84000 miles i still get 37 mpg."

Best vehicle with no problems!

By on Monday, August 15, 2011

"This has been such a great vehicle for me. I have been the second owner and I bought it with 100.000 miles. It now has almost 200.000 miles on it. This vehicle has never broken down with me and I have so much confidence in it. Like any vehicle, I have always done the routine service and used the recommended good oil, and that is the key to owning a car that runs so well. I have no doubt in my mind that this car will run for another 200.000 miles without a problem so long as it is taken care of. This is the Best car for its price and has excellent gas mileage. Last year I bought one for my daughter and she has had no problems with it either. She drives it 500 miles to college and back and I never worry that she may break down with it."

good car for the price

By on Sunday, March 29, 2009

"I have had my Aveo for 4 years. It has been a dependable and durable car. I have had no major problems with it and I have close to 50K on it. The tires are cheap as well as all the basic maintenance parts. This car was not manufactured for luxuray or performance. It is a simple point A to point B car and nothing more. However the low maintenance and no frills suit my needs now and have for the past 4 years. I look forward to having it for at least another 6 years."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching Chevrolet Aveo near Honolulu. See local deals