2005 BMW X5

8.4

Based on 405 Ratings for the 2000 - 2006 models.

2002 X5 3.0

By on Monday, November 12, 2007

"No doubt about it, this is the best vehicle I have owned in 36 years of driving. Purchased off eBay with 53k miles, I have added 40k miles in the last year with few problems. Only unexpected expense was a blower relay for the AC. Fuel mileage is amazing: 19.7 mpg in town and up to 25.6 mpg on the highway, even running 70 mph. Performance is more than acceptable from the 3.0 six cylinder. Towing our Waverunner is an easy task, and reduces fuel mileage about 10%. Very quiet as well, with almost no windnoise. The handling and ride are just the right balance between comfort and control. Mine does not have the sport package, and from what I have read and heard, the sport package can make the X5 uncomfortably hard riding for some people. But I am extremely pleased with the base suspension setup, and will go from the stock 235/65R17 tires to a set of 255/60R17 on the next replacement to enhance the cornering just a bit. New ones are a bit pricey, but they do hold their value very well. And you can't beat the free service under the warranty - but mine of course was used with an expired warranty - so how has it been? I have had to replace the brake pads and rotors (went with ceramic pads - dust free!), but that is normal at 60k miles. I also had to replace the front axles because the previous owner didn't catch the cracked CV joint boots. Keep an eye on those things. The repair bill was $1100, but I don't think that was the fault of the vehicle. I change the oil and filter every ten thousand miles (synthetic of course), even though the indicator looks like it would go about fourteen thousand. Surprisingly, the dealer only charges $80 for that service, and they alway do a quick check for any leaks, and inspect the belts and hoses, as well as top off the windshield cleaner and wash the vehicle. There are two minor convenience items: sometimes the automatic climate control is a little slow to kick the fan speed back up when you're sitting in the sun, and I can't get rid of a slow speed rattle from the left side of the liftgate. The dealer knows about the rattle problem and the 2007 liftgate design has eliminated that one. Overall, I am sure I will drive the wheels off this thing, on my way to another in the future!"

Couldn't ask for more

By on Sunday, September 4, 2011

Pros: "Keeps value very well over the years, quiet, drives like a car."

Cons: "...can't think of any."

"I couldn't ask more out of an SUV. The gas mileage is excellent on the 3.0 (18mpg combined), and it has been nothing but reliable over the past 3 years of my ownership. Don't let complaints of maintenance costs from others fool you. If you have general mechanic experience then you too can maintain this yourself quite cheaply - order parts online: autohausaz, pelican, etc."

favorite car ever!

By on Sunday, October 19, 2008

"My husband and I have owned 5 BMW's and my 2001 X5 3.0 is my favorite. I have owned it almost 6 years and it just hit 100 k miles! I call it my "tank" and "snow beast'.I love everything about it except my passenger seat is not power which i think should be standard on a luxury suv in this price range. We have had to replace 2 window regulators and the power door locks were malfunctioning, both inexpensive fixes considering that's all we have had to fix on a car with that much milage! My husband and I have never had any major mechanical problems on ANY of our BMW's and his has 172 K! We have both been in wrecks that should have taken our lives and we walked away! We will always be loyal to BMW!"

Good overall vehicle

By on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Reason: bought another BMW

Cons: "Cup holder is bad"

"Was a good vehicle. We had it for 3 years and bought another BMW. Never had any problems with it. I would get the bigger engine next time. Will always own a BMW."

not a good vehicle

By on Friday, June 10, 2011

Pros: "enjoyed the ride when it was operable"

Cons: "MAINTENANCE BE CAREFUL"

"I will never buy another BMW maintenance is to high.Bought car in 2005 had 65000 miles. Two months later had to spend $1300 on fan belt radiator and car battery. Year later another $1100. Then $900 to pass smog,$400 on hoses. $90 to have window re-set do to it dropping.2011 spent $1360 oil leak and to pass smog. Same month oil still leaking now i was being told it is coming from somewhere else and the engine would have to come out.A big job i was quoted at a couple of place $2 to $3 thousand to fix. One other place quoted $6600 they have lost their mind. The car was only worth $6000.Let me not forget motor gone in two windows repair would have costed over $1000. Back door handles sticking you would have to darn near snatch you arm out of place to pull them open. Front drivers door inside latch broke had to roll window down to open door from outside handle. To Repair would have been on all doors bout $2000. Wow. Rear left light some sort of shortage to repair would have cost $260 for the outside cover panel another $200 to $300 hundred to repair socket due to poor conection at BMW dealer. All these reapairs at the labor cost of $180 an hour. Other cetified BMW repair shops labor $110 to 120. The cheapest cost were the light bulbs from $8 to $12 and the BMW emblem cap the fits over the rim on the tire at a only shocking price of $6. Everywhere i go BMW horror stories including from a financil clerk at the credit union that financed the car loan. The shuttle driver at my job people ridding the shuttle all voicing their BMW horrer stories. Even on guy at BMW told me he would not purchase one and that a lot of people are trying to get out of theirs.Upside down of it all these cars look good but in the long will burn a hole in your pocket. So you need to start a special bank account for BMW repairs only and do trust you will use it all. This is not a person working to survive car i think even the well off would get tired of spending money on repairs. Again never want another one new or used. Buyer Be ware"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X5 near Honolulu. See local deals