2012 BMW X3

Based on 77 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next

Nice Upgrade

By on Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"I currently own a 2011 BMW X3 and am very happy with my purchase. After looking for 6 months and driving numerous vehicle, I went BACK to BMW. I previously owned a 2008 BMW X3 and when the newer model came out, I couldn't help but jump on the "wagon". It spacier than the 08 model and looks a lot more luxuorous than ever before. It's a comfortable ride. My only complaint is what some cars come with their basic models, BMW adds it as an additional option making the car slightly more expensive for the additional perks than the rest. With that said, well worth the money as you can expect to have this car for a life time!"

Plenty of sport, average utility

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Pros: "Fast, quick handling, great driver position"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance items"

"I have the turbo and it is fast, when I want it. The Sport mode makes climbing hills with an automatic very smooth. Sport handling is good. This is my 5th BMW vehicle, including 2 motorcycles. As a daily driver the suspension is a little harsh, controls are just 'OK', seating for anyone other than the driver is tight. After 4 years I still fumble with the stupid turn signal stalk, the steering wheel blocks the view of several indicator lights, and several entertainment and car-control features are buried in menus. Two unforgivable flaws : 1) TPMS is sensitive to temperature and has been repaired multiple times. A lot of cars have figured this out...not BMW. 2) The water pump on X3's fails between 35K and 50K miles. And this has been a problem for years before 2012. It's become a regular maintenance item - a very expensive one."

The ultimate driving experience

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Luxury, Mileage, Convenience, Safety, and Control"

"Perfect balance, Perfect control, Awesome speed, Good Mileage, Perfect for a family of 4 and everything is attended to the minute detail possible. I am getting 30 miles per gallon if I drive at 60-65 miles/hour but gives only 16 miles per gallong in city due to stop and go traffic. Improvements: 1. Navigation - Even my $100 Garmin performs better. 2. Rear Brakes - Demands changing every 20-25K miles. 3. No Auto Headlights 4. Rear Side Airbags - At least as optional 5. Transmission lag (in the beginning if it is normal mode)"

Like my 2016 X3 35i more than my 2010 535i wagon

By on Saturday, June 18, 2016

Pros: "A fun but practical vehicle"

Cons: "Next generation X3 arrives in 2018"

"The 35i engine is smooth, powerful and well matched to the 8-speed transmission. I have averaged almost 25 mpg during my first 2800 miles. Front seats are firm but comfortable on my long 10+ hour trips to visit family. The ride is nicely controlled despite the run flat tires. My wife much prefers the X3 brakes and handling over her previous crossover. The X3 is generally quiet at highway speeds with an authoritative rumble from the exhaust when accelerated. I like the higher seating position than that in my 535i wagon. Drive Assistant (DA) and DA+ packages are worthwhile additions for safety. Cargo space is nicely shaped to accommodate the dog crates we often carry. Back seat is good for 2, but tight for 3 adults."

New X3 a Great One

By on Saturday, April 2, 2011

"Don't know what the KBB reviewer means about no leg room--this is a very roomy vehicle, both front and back! Drives smoothly, with plenty of road information without the bumps; luxe interior with lots of standard equipment. This one will appeal both to people with things to haul--children, dogs, bicycles, etc.--and to those who want something sporty and interesting to drive. The 28i gets 4 stars to leave room for the 30i with its slightly more powerful engine. I drove many other vehicles in this class before purchase--about 15 of them, from the Audi to the Honda--and this was the best for the money, hands down."

Good but...

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Good Looking"

Cons: "Expensive"

"Impressed with: Speed and maneuverability at highway speed. Look and style, I am proud of it. Not Impressed with: It has wheel alignment issue, been aligned 3 times over the life of the original tires. Tires are used up at 31k miles not to mention that these tires are not cheap at $340 each. Theres seem to be a hiccup on the initial acceleration, you have to very careful on the drive off. Rear door has to be slammed to close completely otherwise the sensor will let you know. The engine noise; My car is a 35I twin Turbo and the dealer told me its normal for the noise. Use of Premium gas only to give you an average of 21 miles a gallon."

So much more fun to drive than others I've owned

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "joy of driving, attractive design inside and out"

Cons: "gas mileage, repair costs"

"I was lucky to find a low-mileage, used X3 with an odd configuration: no bells and whistles except just what I wanted: climate package and navigation, plus roof rails for my crossbars. That's all I wanted beyond the beautifully tuned 6-cylinder classic BMW engine and the 8-speed transmission that I think make this car special. I love driving this car, especially on winding, rural roads in the places in the northeast that I visit regularly. Aside from one major repair to a steering component, there have so far been no repairs -- just routine maintenance. I do think the extended service warranty to 100,000 miles, expensive as it is, may be worth it because, when a BMW starts getting older it gets much more expensive to take care of out of warranty. I'm lucky to own one of the last 6-cylinder xDrive28i cars. It should become a classic."

Really an SAV, drives like a car,built like an SUV

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "Good overall driving experience"

Cons: "Noisy, compact and pricey options."

"Wonderful driving experience. Acceleration is smooth and handling is effortless. The options ( panoramic moonroof, navigation, keyless entry, park assist, power liftgate etc) add to the experience and I found them worth every bit of the extra money spent ( many of them could be made standard) Great balance of power and efficiency. Have driven my X3 (28i) for about 2000 miles and am averaging 26.8 mpg with about 60% hwy miles. Space is adequate for a small family and the rear row seats my kid (6 yr old) comfortably. However, space ( 2nd row seating) could be a constraint for larger families. Also, I found the vehicle a little noisier than others and was disappointed that such a well made vehicle could not have been better insulated."

The Joy of Driving

By on Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, Fuel economy, Look, iDrive, Luxury"

Cons: "Price, Middle rear seat has less leg room"

In the mountains

"I am truly satisfied with the performance of this car. From steering response, to agility, fuel economy and state of the art electronics - it is a true BMW. With the added options like huge panaromic moonfoof, parking sensors and cameras, navigation, parked car auto ventilation and so on, it's pure luxury meets performance. The top view of the car itself on the road with visible parking lines or nearby object is something I have not seen in any other car yet. There are just so many things I am happy about this car. But I think this one sentence captures it all: I become happy when I am in it"

My video

In the mountains

My Love

Very Concerned

By on Saturday, December 19, 2015

Pros: "Comfort"

Cons: "Problems from day one!"

"Just purchased a new 2016 X3 xDrive28i. Less than 800 miles we get a drivetrain malfunction error. Can't drive over 20MPH and won't shift. Very disappointing to have such a serious issue with a brand new BMW. Traded out of a GMC Acadia that was just a service nightmare. Hopefully this is a one time thing but from what I have read, it seems to be relatively common. We shall see......"

Love my 35i

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Handles great, fun to drive, power, power, power!"

Cons: "A few interior rattles"

"Owned the X3 for just over a year now and love every minute I'm in it. This vehicle handles like a dream and takes the twisties like a champ! Can't beat the power of the 35i. X3 performed beautifully in the snow and had no issues. I'd highly recommend this car to a friend!"

Awesome SAV

By on Saturday, October 15, 2011

Pros: "Awesome to drive (very fast)"

Cons: "Sport Seats are a little over bolstered"

"I have owned my X3 for about 3 months and continue to be impressed with the power, handling and comfort. The car is also getting up to 25 MPG on the highway under spirited driving in the Rocky Mountains."

Do not buy this car ..

By on Sunday, February 27, 2011

"I recently purchased the 2011 BMW X3 (end of January)and have had nothing but issues with. The engine oil sensor malfunction light has gone on numerous times, trouble with the remote key and yesterday got stuck and it just died and leaked gas out all over the road. In addition, BMW roadside assistance was useless - took them 5 hours to get a tow truck to get the car"

The Ultimate Driving machine

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive easy to learn the iDrive Technology"

"My first new Vehicle and I chose the 2012 X3 xDrive28i. I picked it up on 10/26/11. I am very pleased and although the added options cost a lot more than I planned I have no regrets. What a ride. The Technology package, Premium package and Heated seats/steering wheel makes the luxury a true pleasure. The Xenon headlights make its an even cooler SAV with those electro-mechanical lights. 3 cameras with Park Distance control takes the stress out of parallel parking especially living in New York City. You get use to the iDrive functionality easily. I love it so much it makes me want to keep on driving."

Great Automobile

By on Thursday, April 5, 2012

"I will try not be biased in my review. I purchased the 2012 BMW X3 28i a few weeks ago. Although I have owned the car a short time, it is not my first car nor my first BMW. First off, the car does handle extremely well around turns as well as on the open road. BMW has really put a lot of thought, technology, and engineering into their latest edition. The exterior of the suv is amazing in that its curves and lines give the car a sense of movement while standing still. Interior wise, BMW has laid out the cabin to be more roomy and comfortable. As many have mentioned, the new X3 is comparable in size to the original X5. The instrument cluster as well as middle console work well for those who want that feeling of piloting an airplane. Remember, this is a car that is meant to be driven and experienced. As for cons, there are a few. The lag time between the gas pedal to motion at a full stop is noticeable but not a deterrent. The electronic parking brake can be odd and unfamiliar for some."

Great car

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "gas milage, size and horse power"

Cons: "no towing package offered"

"I traded in my '07 RX 400H (wasn't that impressed with gas mileage and didn't like the way it handled in the snow). I got the 35i twin turbo and now I am planing on selling my Solstice GXP next summer since I hardly ever drive it (I think the BMW is faster) My only regret is that there was not a towing package offered. I see now that there are after market towing package available so I will add that also in the spring. At 6' 4" I find there is plenty of room in this car too. When I show people the video that BMW emailed me of my car being made at the new US plant, they are blown away. Love this car."

2015 BMW X3 is the best luxury compact SUV

By on Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Pros: "Diesel, MPG, Torque, M sport look, comfort."

Cons: "Auto start stop hesitate."

"I owned a 2011 X3. I was in the market to traded in for a sporty car. I considered Fusion, Edge, Murano, VW CC, Touareg, Volvo S60, V60, XC60, Q5, GLK, and X5. I wanted to maximize Utility, Quality, Performance, and Efficiency out of my budget. In conclusion, I, again, choose 2015 X3, now with M sport look. Value: I traded in my 2011 X3 on June 2014 at 53.6% of original MSRP. I think that is not bad. Driving Dynamics: No doubt, every professional car reviewer agrees BMW has best overall driving dynamics. X3 is one good example of it. Reliability: I owned my first X3 for more than 3 years. I never paid any maintenance, fixing, etc.... Never have any problem. This is one big reason why I want BMW again. Interior : Thanks to the LCI treatment for 2015 model, I am sure BMW has the best interior material quality of the segment. Exterior: this is the part I love my car the most. I have been dreaming to get a M sport Package BMW for years. Finally, I drive one now. Quality: Some said GLK has best built quality of segment. I said X3 is not any worse than GLK. Comfort & Convenience: X3 has best cargo space of the segment, so I don't need to put further explanation. My wife love the comfortable sport seat and minimal wind noise. At 80 MPH, the wind noise is still very low. In conclusion, how to define a car of your dream? I think it is that every morning you get ready to work. You go to garage about to drive. You see your car and you feel this is going to be a wonderful day. That is how I feel. By the way, thanks to its diesel engine, I average 32.3 MPG on my entire 2500 miles. I am very happy at this result."

fun and you can get in and out

By on Thursday, May 3, 2012

Pros: "fun fun till she took the magic fob{keyless entry}"

Cons: "she took the fob"

"This is my second BMW, first was a X5, the new X3 is a pure joy to drive. Ive have had 3 Corvettes and know fun when you drive a car, now that im older this X3 comes close,and its much easier to get in and out.Great looking car a little wild on price and add ons but worth it .I think my wife likes it more then I do."

New model is overdue

By on Thursday, January 26, 2017

Pros: "great handling, decent mileage, just right size"

Cons: "stiff run flats, wind & road noise, jerky stp/strt"

"I caution anyone considering the X3 to wait for the 2018 model. I have owned two of this generation X3, a 2012 with the then base 6 and a 2015 with turbo 4. I loved the 2012 with its combination of smooth, quiet power train and great handling, but the 2015...not so much. The 4 gets decent mileage, has enough power to handle the car's weight and is well-mated with the unobtrusive 8-speed, but its loud, makes an odd ticking noise at idle, and the jerky stop/start has an annoying lag which seriously impacts driving enjoyment. I have driven other cars with stop/starts that are smoother and start more quickly, so it can be done right. However BMW has done it wrong. I also wonder whether BMW switched tires or fiddled with sound deadening or glass thickness to adjust balance and suspension tuning when they switched base engines. Either that or production quality has slipped. The 2015 lets in a lot more wind and tire noise at highway speeds than the 2012 and our patched and potholed Chicago area roads are uncomfortably more noticeable in the 2015 than they were in the 2012 model. Although the X3 is still a great car, these mass market car traits are annoying and hard to justify at a luxury car price. Hopefully BMW will address these shortcomings in the redesigned model that is coming for 2018."

Surprised at how much I enjoy this car

By on Thursday, December 31, 2015

Pros: "Fun to drive, reliable, decent fuel economy"

Cons: "Price when adding options, interior color choices"

"I never thought I would get a crossover or SUV but some how I was talked into looking at them. So far I am pleasantly surprised at how well this car has turned out for me. It's not quite at three series like some say it is however the driving dynamics are not matched in this field my other competitors. The options add up quickly and if I had the options to pick again I would choose Xeon headlights and heated seats and forgo the navigation. Although with the navigation you get a top-down camera which works really well. I have not had any issues with this Carsons I owned it and if you're coming to me is a horrible however it's not as good as a sedan or economy car by any means. If you're in the market for A crossover you'll enjoy driving every day and won't beat you up I would definitely go for the x3. Maybe you'll be as pleasantly surprised as I was."

excellent

By on Tuesday, March 15, 2011

"HAVE ONLY HAD IT FOR TWO WEEKS - BUT WE LOVE IT. WE HAD OUR BMW X5 FOR TEN YEARS AND IT WAS LIKE NEW WHEN WE TURNED IT IN. NOTHING DRIVES LIKE A BMW."

best car i ever owned

By on Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Pros: "comfortable to drive. 20 mpg around town!"

Cons: "console not designed for convenience."

"20 mpg around town. nearly 30 on highway. comfortable to drive."

after 8 months, going to get rid of it

By on Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Pros: "performance"

Cons: "user controls, navigation, I-drive"

"Worst user controls, worst navigation, plagued with engine warnings. twice after returning to the car, the engine is running. Car rattles and creeks. The I-drive is awful. Sorry I bought this car. The engine performs well, and transmission is smooth, You will hate the auto engine shut off. The dashboard and I-Drive controls are terrible. They couldn't possibly have focus grouped the user controls. This is my seventh trip back to the dealer. The engine warning light is on many times."

My First Luxury Car

By on Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Pros: "Technology, quality, performance and reliability."

Cons: "It's luxury so you need money to own one."

"It was not disappointing at all to own this luxury car. I was skeptical to own BMW for a long time because of reliability issues. This time I made a decision to own one and chose BMW X3. Very impressed and I am proud to own one now."

Sporty, Comfortable, Quiet

By on Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Pros: "mileage, cost of fuel, build quality, sportiness"

Cons: "diesel rattles from standing start"

"I was tired of filling an Acura MDX over and over with premium fuel, so I looked around for a higher mileage SUV. I just happened on this car at a Chicago dealership, with only 1,700 miles. The diesel engine is powerful and with BMW's transmission, you can have all the acceleration you want. I especially love the mileage: 30 mpg on a 30 minute commute, even with the transmission in Sport mode, and 35 mpg on long trips. Add the cost of diesel fuel, usually the same as, or less than, regular, and it's a real winner. Yes, it costs a bit more than some others, but buy CPO and you save most of the initial depreciation. Be aware that it has more of a sport suspension than most and the diesel (like any diesel) sometimes rattles a bit from a standing start. I am very pleased with this X3 diesel."

Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next
Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X3 near Honolulu. See local deals