2012 BMW X3

Based on 77 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Plenty of sport, average utility

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Pros: "Fast, quick handling, great driver position"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance items"

"I have the turbo and it is fast, when I want it. The Sport mode makes climbing hills with an automatic very smooth. Sport handling is good. This is my 5th BMW vehicle, including 2 motorcycles. As a daily driver the suspension is a little harsh, controls are just 'OK', seating for anyone other than the driver is tight. After 4 years I still fumble with the stupid turn signal stalk, the steering wheel blocks the view of several indicator lights, and several entertainment and car-control features are buried in menus. Two unforgivable flaws : 1) TPMS is sensitive to temperature and has been repaired multiple times. A lot of cars have figured this out...not BMW. 2) The water pump on X3's fails between 35K and 50K miles. And this has been a problem for years before 2012. It's become a regular maintenance item - a very expensive one."

Nice Upgrade

By on Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"I currently own a 2011 BMW X3 and am very happy with my purchase. After looking for 6 months and driving numerous vehicle, I went BACK to BMW. I previously owned a 2008 BMW X3 and when the newer model came out, I couldn't help but jump on the "wagon". It spacier than the 08 model and looks a lot more luxuorous than ever before. It's a comfortable ride. My only complaint is what some cars come with their basic models, BMW adds it as an additional option making the car slightly more expensive for the additional perks than the rest. With that said, well worth the money as you can expect to have this car for a life time!"

Like my 2016 X3 35i more than my 2010 535i wagon

By on Saturday, June 18, 2016

Pros: "A fun but practical vehicle"

Cons: "Next generation X3 arrives in 2018"

"The 35i engine is smooth, powerful and well matched to the 8-speed transmission. I have averaged almost 25 mpg during my first 2800 miles. Front seats are firm but comfortable on my long 10+ hour trips to visit family. The ride is nicely controlled despite the run flat tires. My wife much prefers the X3 brakes and handling over her previous crossover. The X3 is generally quiet at highway speeds with an authoritative rumble from the exhaust when accelerated. I like the higher seating position than that in my 535i wagon. Drive Assistant (DA) and DA+ packages are worthwhile additions for safety. Cargo space is nicely shaped to accommodate the dog crates we often carry. Back seat is good for 2, but tight for 3 adults."

The ultimate driving experience

By on Friday, March 30, 2012

Pros: "Luxury, Mileage, Convenience, Safety, and Control"

"Perfect balance, Perfect control, Awesome speed, Good Mileage, Perfect for a family of 4 and everything is attended to the minute detail possible. I am getting 30 miles per gallon if I drive at 60-65 miles/hour but gives only 16 miles per gallong in city due to stop and go traffic. Improvements: 1. Navigation - Even my $100 Garmin performs better. 2. Rear Brakes - Demands changing every 20-25K miles. 3. No Auto Headlights 4. Rear Side Airbags - At least as optional 5. Transmission lag (in the beginning if it is normal mode)"

New X3 a Great One

By on Saturday, April 2, 2011

"Don't know what the KBB reviewer means about no leg room--this is a very roomy vehicle, both front and back! Drives smoothly, with plenty of road information without the bumps; luxe interior with lots of standard equipment. This one will appeal both to people with things to haul--children, dogs, bicycles, etc.--and to those who want something sporty and interesting to drive. The 28i gets 4 stars to leave room for the 30i with its slightly more powerful engine. I drove many other vehicles in this class before purchase--about 15 of them, from the Audi to the Honda--and this was the best for the money, hands down."

Good but...

By on Sunday, August 11, 2013

Pros: "Good Looking"

Cons: "Expensive"

"Impressed with: Speed and maneuverability at highway speed. Look and style, I am proud of it. Not Impressed with: It has wheel alignment issue, been aligned 3 times over the life of the original tires. Tires are used up at 31k miles not to mention that these tires are not cheap at $340 each. Theres seem to be a hiccup on the initial acceleration, you have to very careful on the drive off. Rear door has to be slammed to close completely otherwise the sensor will let you know. The engine noise; My car is a 35I twin Turbo and the dealer told me its normal for the noise. Use of Premium gas only to give you an average of 21 miles a gallon."

Really an SAV, drives like a car,built like an SUV

By on Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Pros: "Good overall driving experience"

Cons: "Noisy, compact and pricey options."

"Wonderful driving experience. Acceleration is smooth and handling is effortless. The options ( panoramic moonroof, navigation, keyless entry, park assist, power liftgate etc) add to the experience and I found them worth every bit of the extra money spent ( many of them could be made standard) Great balance of power and efficiency. Have driven my X3 (28i) for about 2000 miles and am averaging 26.8 mpg with about 60% hwy miles. Space is adequate for a small family and the rear row seats my kid (6 yr old) comfortably. However, space ( 2nd row seating) could be a constraint for larger families. Also, I found the vehicle a little noisier than others and was disappointed that such a well made vehicle could not have been better insulated."

So much more fun to drive than others I've owned

By on Saturday, August 23, 2014

Pros: "joy of driving, attractive design inside and out"

Cons: "gas mileage, repair costs"

"I was lucky to find a low-mileage, used X3 with an odd configuration: no bells and whistles except just what I wanted: climate package and navigation, plus roof rails for my crossbars. That's all I wanted beyond the beautifully tuned 6-cylinder classic BMW engine and the 8-speed transmission that I think make this car special. I love driving this car, especially on winding, rural roads in the places in the northeast that I visit regularly. Aside from one major repair to a steering component, there have so far been no repairs -- just routine maintenance. I do think the extended service warranty to 100,000 miles, expensive as it is, may be worth it because, when a BMW starts getting older it gets much more expensive to take care of out of warranty. I'm lucky to own one of the last 6-cylinder xDrive28i cars. It should become a classic."

The Joy of Driving

By on Thursday, December 20, 2012

Pros: "Fun to drive, Fuel economy, Look, iDrive, Luxury"

Cons: "Price, Middle rear seat has less leg room"

In the mountains

"I am truly satisfied with the performance of this car. From steering response, to agility, fuel economy and state of the art electronics - it is a true BMW. With the added options like huge panaromic moonfoof, parking sensors and cameras, navigation, parked car auto ventilation and so on, it's pure luxury meets performance. The top view of the car itself on the road with visible parking lines or nearby object is something I have not seen in any other car yet. There are just so many things I am happy about this car. But I think this one sentence captures it all: I become happy when I am in it"

My video

In the mountains

My Love

Love my 35i

By on Saturday, December 22, 2012

Pros: "Handles great, fun to drive, power, power, power!"

Cons: "A few interior rattles"

"Owned the X3 for just over a year now and love every minute I'm in it. This vehicle handles like a dream and takes the twisties like a champ! Can't beat the power of the 35i. X3 performed beautifully in the snow and had no issues. I'd highly recommend this car to a friend!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X3 near Honolulu. See local deals