2011 BMW X3

Based on 77 Ratings for the 2011 - 2017 models.

Plenty of sport, average utility

By on Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Pros: "Fast, quick handling, great driver position"

Cons: "Expensive maintenance items"

"I have the turbo and it is fast, when I want it. The Sport mode makes climbing hills with an automatic very smooth. Sport handling is good. This is my 5th BMW vehicle, including 2 motorcycles. As a daily driver the suspension is a little harsh, controls are just 'OK', seating for anyone other than the driver is tight. After 4 years I still fumble with the stupid turn signal stalk, the steering wheel blocks the view of several indicator lights, and several entertainment and car-control features are buried in menus. Two unforgivable flaws : 1) TPMS is sensitive to temperature and has been repaired multiple times. A lot of cars have figured this out...not BMW. 2) The water pump on X3's fails between 35K and 50K miles. And this has been a problem for years before 2012. It's become a regular maintenance item - a very expensive one."

New model is overdue

By on Thursday, January 26, 2017

Pros: "great handling, decent mileage, just right size"

Cons: "stiff run flats, wind & road noise, jerky stp/strt"

"I caution anyone considering the X3 to wait for the 2018 model. I have owned two of this generation X3, a 2012 with the then base 6 and a 2015 with turbo 4. I loved the 2012 with its combination of smooth, quiet power train and great handling, but the 2015...not so much. The 4 gets decent mileage, has enough power to handle the car's weight and is well-mated with the unobtrusive 8-speed, but its loud, makes an odd ticking noise at idle, and the jerky stop/start has an annoying lag which seriously impacts driving enjoyment. I have driven other cars with stop/starts that are smoother and start more quickly, so it can be done right. However BMW has done it wrong. I also wonder whether BMW switched tires or fiddled with sound deadening or glass thickness to adjust balance and suspension tuning when they switched base engines. Either that or production quality has slipped. The 2015 lets in a lot more wind and tire noise at highway speeds than the 2012 and our patched and potholed Chicago area roads are uncomfortably more noticeable in the 2015 than they were in the 2012 model. Although the X3 is still a great car, these mass market car traits are annoying and hard to justify at a luxury car price. Hopefully BMW will address these shortcomings in the redesigned model that is coming for 2018."

First SUV and BMW - Impressed

By on Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Pros: "Performance and fuel economy"

Cons: "Harsh ride from 18 OEM run-flat tires."

"Having liked traditional station wagons and no interest in SUVs, my choices in replacing a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen Diesel (recalled by VW) were limited. The finalists were a used Acura TSX wagon and a new X3 diesel. After driving both, the BMW was the easy choice. Aside from the SUVs higher seating position, I am amazed how easily one gets use to this car. Like many other reviewers, I look for excuses to drive the X3. Its handling and response is like no other car Ive owned and that includes Volvo turbos and a 350Z. Moreover, I am getting close to 36 mpg in the ECO mode in suburban driving. While my X3 is moderately equipped (navigation, upgraded drivers asst package and trim), the idrive features are not that difficult to master. Thus far, the vehicle is without problems, but my only complaint would be the harsh ride of its 18 run-flat tires which appears to be a function of the OEM wheel/tire combination. Switching to 17 wheels with conventional winter tires instantly corrected this issue. On the subject of winter driving, I am impressed by the xdrive system. My area is subject to heavy lake-effect snow and getting around snow-covered roads in the X3 is fantastic - no wheel spin or understeer. Providing the vehicle remains reliable, I would not hesitate to recommend this vehicle to anyone wishing to move from a shrinking station-wagon market to a smaller SUV."

Like my 2016 X3 35i more than my 2010 535i wagon

By on Saturday, June 18, 2016

Pros: "A fun but practical vehicle"

Cons: "Next generation X3 arrives in 2018"

"The 35i engine is smooth, powerful and well matched to the 8-speed transmission. I have averaged almost 25 mpg during my first 2800 miles. Front seats are firm but comfortable on my long 10+ hour trips to visit family. The ride is nicely controlled despite the run flat tires. My wife much prefers the X3 brakes and handling over her previous crossover. The X3 is generally quiet at highway speeds with an authoritative rumble from the exhaust when accelerated. I like the higher seating position than that in my 535i wagon. Drive Assistant (DA) and DA+ packages are worthwhile additions for safety. Cargo space is nicely shaped to accommodate the dog crates we often carry. Back seat is good for 2, but tight for 3 adults."

Nice Upgrade

By on Wednesday, January 4, 2012

"I currently own a 2011 BMW X3 and am very happy with my purchase. After looking for 6 months and driving numerous vehicle, I went BACK to BMW. I previously owned a 2008 BMW X3 and when the newer model came out, I couldn't help but jump on the "wagon". It spacier than the 08 model and looks a lot more luxuorous than ever before. It's a comfortable ride. My only complaint is what some cars come with their basic models, BMW adds it as an additional option making the car slightly more expensive for the additional perks than the rest. With that said, well worth the money as you can expect to have this car for a life time!"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW X3 near Honolulu. See local deals