ZIP code

2005 BMW 7 Series

8.3

Based on 285 Ratings for the 2002 - 2008 models.

Expected better then what I got

By on Friday, January 23, 2009

"Happiest days of ownership of the car is when I bought 2002 BMW 745i and when I sold it!!! Do not buy this vehicle if its out of warranty!!! This car looses value very quickly. Go with 3 or 5 series BMW."

dont do it

By on Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"I read the other reviews and can't believe what people are willing to put up with to drive this car. I have replaced 2 power windows and a transmission in 7 months. Also had an oil leak. Sure, it looks good and drives nice but I would never own one again. Nothing but headaches."

Best car I've ever owned.

By on Monday, September 15, 2008

"I bought the car brand new in November 2002 . I added conveniance, cold weather and luxary seating packages and ponyed up for the 19" chrome sport wheels with pirelli tires. The car has been a dream and I actualy look forward to driving to work every day . It turns heads everywhere I go and drives like a sports car. II'll be honest you will hate the iDrive that the car is based on , but after a few weeks you wil probably learn to love it because I did . The only problems I have had is the battery dying twice and idrive needing updating twice. Other t han that just the regular maitinance. Be prepared to bring your wallet because BMW service realy is as expensive as they say it is . I will never buy another model car and will run this car until its last day it can go anymore. (its fuel economy is actualy very impressive)"

Owned Since New - Looks Like New - 745Li

By on Friday, April 7, 2017

Pros: "Smooth, quiet, powerful, comfortable, stylish"

Cons: "Parts and repairs can be very expensive."

"I keep waiting for something really expensive to break on this vehicle, like the transmission, or one of those computers. Outwardly, it looks like a brand new car - always garaged, waxed and well maintained, never been in an accident, flood, tornado, hailstorm, and in snow only once (not recommended!). Even the windshield is the original. After 14 years, I just cant get rid of it. It always starts immediately, even after sitting for weeks. It has never burned a drop of oil between oil changes (unlike the new ones). It gets about 22 mpg on the highway and about 16 in the city, just like it did when it was new. It doesnt leak, doesnt smoke, doesnt smell like an old shoe, and the engine is as quiet and as smooth as it was when it came from the factory. I always changed the oil with synthetic every 5000 miles rather than the recommended 15,000. I think it likes that. It continues to pass annual smog and safety inspection without problem. I still feel great when I drive it. Its a tremendous highway car, very comfortable seats, quiet cabin, and with the radar cruise control - just set it and leave it, and the car adjusts speed up and down based on the vehicles in front (maybe a bit ahead of its time back in 2003), massaging and air ventilated power seats, great headlights, fine sounding factory radio/stereo, soft closing doors -- exemplary ride and handling -- all very comfortable . I even prefer the feel of the hydraulic steering in this car (the new BMWs are electric steering - to improve gas mileage - I have a new BMW too and road feel just isnt there). It still stops on a dime and straight as an arrow. And the Li is about 5 or 6 inches longer than the standard 745, and that extra long wheel base just makes driving a dream. It is showing signs of age however, even though mileage is fairly low for a fourteen year old car. These cars can cost a bomb to maintain. Here are a few items that were replaced under the original factory warranty: the radio (complete failure), the gas gage (sender inside the tank), one small suspension part. Here are a few items that were replaced after the warranty expired: the two coronas surrounding the headlights (very expensive), the disc brake rotors and pads (very expensive), the transmission filter and pan (very expensive), two key fobs (very expensive, to replace the two originals that failed), the 12V battery in the trunk (twice - not cheap), all of the engine hoses and belts (preventative maintenance - expensive, the guibo (relates to the drive shaft, like a universal joint) expensive. Did I say this car costs a bomb to maintain? Ok it really doesnt if its just regular maintenance, but if something fails, its always expensive, and the dealerships really know how to work those billing hours such that you pay luxury prices for a luxury vehicle even if it is now just a mere shadow of its former self. Here are a few items that have failed but havent been replaced/repaired: the front hood support struts (they dont hold the hood up any more); the rear trunk support struts (they dont hold the trunk open any more); the rear trunk hydraulic motor (it doesnt lift the trunk any more); the GPS navigation unit (2003 was the last year of the CD disc type rather than DVD, it works intermittently but usually not when you need it - iPhones with Google maps are so much better anyway). If I knew that the transmission would last another five years, I would replace all of this, but..... Here are a few black clouds hanging over the car waiting to fail: the transmission. Just google BMW 745 transmission problems for the year of the car, and youll see all kinds of odd behaviors that I wont repeat here. Expensive to repair (very specialized) and very expensive to replace (starting to be close to more than the entire car is worth). The electronic suspension and directional stability control. One of the computers has been throwing a lot of warning codes up on the digital display when the car takes a corner, especially when cold - and something about See your BMW dealer immediately. Hard to tell whether its the computer thats messing up, or the suspension is actually having cardiac arrest. Turning the car off and then back on clears the code. So far, so good, but I keep waiting for the big one. In summary, if I spread the cost of repairs over its 14 year life, and add in the depreciation (which is very high for almost any luxury vehicle), and maintenance, a car like this doesnt make any economic sense whatsoever. But the longer I keep it, and the longer it runs without a major failure, the more cost effective it becomes. I hope that expensive failure is still a few years away, as the car is a joy to drive just like it was when new."

Utimate Driving machine

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "smoothness, tight steering, power, comfortibility"

Cons: "not a big enough center console"

"Smooth GREAT ride! the most comfortable car i have ever been in. I have the sport package and it hugs the road like no other. All I have really had to do is change the oil. Very fast and fun car. I would recommend this car to anyone who likes powerer, but also needs a nice classy four door sedan."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 7 Series near Honolulu. See local deals