2005 BMW 7 Series

8.3

Based on 285 Ratings for the 2002 - 2008 models.

Rocky beginnings

By on Wednesday, August 19, 2009

"Always loved the new body style and finally had a chance to pick one up. Bought the 2003 745i from local dealer and should have paid more attn to the amount of maint this car encountered before the extended warranty expired. I've had too many issues that I never expected from this car. Now resale value on these cars has dropped so buy cheap if you do."

Fantastic

By on Thursday, November 3, 2011

Pros: "fun to drive for such a large car"

Cons: "expensive maintanence when warranty expires"

"I have had my 2007 BMW 750Li with Individual Composition. Car is fantastic and drives like a dream. Love the upgrades with the individual package and with snow tires, this thing gets around just fine in our winters. Would highly recommend as long as the car is under warranty. If it does not have a warranty, and you are not handy, many repairs reach the $500 level pretty quickly. Other than that its a great ride! I am 6'7" and I can have a friend that is 6'5" behind me while I am driving and his knees do not touch the drivers seat. This is a huge plus for my line of work."

completely unreliable super car

By on Saturday, July 28, 2007

"This car spends more time at the dealership than in my garage it seems. Almost everything on the car has broken down at one point or another and BMW is fairly awful at scheduling appointments and fixing things. Having said that, this car is extremely beautiful and powerful beyond belief. The inside comfort is simply incredible and the ride is smooth and very powerful. You get noticed in this super car. If you can handle this unreliability, this is a great car, but you need to have a backup car in your garage (I do) because you'll frequently need."

Great vehicle until repairs come along...

By on Sunday, April 7, 2013

Pros: "most comfortable to drive and can be sporty"

Cons: "repair costs, no back up cam,"

"Great car until the repairs come,,,which can be very pricey. Beautiful and comfortable, but can be sporty and quick when needed (although long). Had a great time with it, but repairs that do come along keep asking myself if I should go for A8 or something else."

This BMW is the best car I have ever owed!

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "Excellent condition - garage - LoJack installed"

Cons: "very few wear"

"This car is safe, extrememly comfortable to drive and in great condition. It's a great looking car that will never go out of style. It has a great sound system, all of the comforts with sterring wheel controls and voice recognition. We feel very protected driving the car. It has very low mileage for a 2004 and has been garaged the entire time we've owned it."

Large vehicle

By on Tuesday, December 2, 2008

"Having grown up in the BMW family since 1997---and moved from Z3 to 745LI...it is a huge change...the car is large and roomy. The computer has issues in general and requires maintenance---do not own this car without a warranty...you'd go broke. The tires and rims alone are something to protect with your life and the size makes this difficult...curbing, etc. Driving it is a dream and the amenities are extraordinary."

This car rocks!

By on Saturday, September 15, 2012

Pros: "Responsive"

Cons: "No Remote start and blue tooth for iPhone."

"Had a 740i for 12 years. This is a great upgrade! The technology has come along way. Best value for a lux car out there."

great car

By on Monday, March 26, 2012

Pros: "smooth driving ,reliable,luxury runs great, great"

"I love this car very reliable and luxury"

Hard not to love and hate!!

By on Thursday, May 21, 2009

"I love my 2002 BMW 745i it is a fun car to drive and attracts alot of attention because the car really stands out...BUT the maintanence on these vehicles is very expensive and even little things cost of alot to fix. So if you don't mind spending a few bucks on regular service, then you wont mind driving this car. But do research before you buy one."

Expected better then what I got

By on Friday, January 23, 2009

"Happiest days of ownership of the car is when I bought 2002 BMW 745i and when I sold it!!! Do not buy this vehicle if its out of warranty!!! This car looses value very quickly. Go with 3 or 5 series BMW."

dont do it

By on Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"I read the other reviews and can't believe what people are willing to put up with to drive this car. I have replaced 2 power windows and a transmission in 7 months. Also had an oil leak. Sure, it looks good and drives nice but I would never own one again. Nothing but headaches."

Best car I've ever owned.

By on Monday, September 15, 2008

"I bought the car brand new in November 2002 . I added conveniance, cold weather and luxary seating packages and ponyed up for the 19" chrome sport wheels with pirelli tires. The car has been a dream and I actualy look forward to driving to work every day . It turns heads everywhere I go and drives like a sports car. II'll be honest you will hate the iDrive that the car is based on , but after a few weeks you wil probably learn to love it because I did . The only problems I have had is the battery dying twice and idrive needing updating twice. Other t han that just the regular maitinance. Be prepared to bring your wallet because BMW service realy is as expensive as they say it is . I will never buy another model car and will run this car until its last day it can go anymore. (its fuel economy is actualy very impressive)"

Owned Since New - Looks Like New - 745Li

By on Friday, April 7, 2017

Pros: "Smooth, quiet, powerful, comfortable, stylish"

Cons: "Parts and repairs can be very expensive."

"I keep waiting for something really expensive to break on this vehicle, like the transmission, or one of those computers. Outwardly, it looks like a brand new car - always garaged, waxed and well maintained, never been in an accident, flood, tornado, hailstorm, and in snow only once (not recommended!). Even the windshield is the original. After 14 years, I just cant get rid of it. It always starts immediately, even after sitting for weeks. It has never burned a drop of oil between oil changes (unlike the new ones). It gets about 22 mpg on the highway and about 16 in the city, just like it did when it was new. It doesnt leak, doesnt smoke, doesnt smell like an old shoe, and the engine is as quiet and as smooth as it was when it came from the factory. I always changed the oil with synthetic every 5000 miles rather than the recommended 15,000. I think it likes that. It continues to pass annual smog and safety inspection without problem. I still feel great when I drive it. Its a tremendous highway car, very comfortable seats, quiet cabin, and with the radar cruise control - just set it and leave it, and the car adjusts speed up and down based on the vehicles in front (maybe a bit ahead of its time back in 2003), massaging and air ventilated power seats, great headlights, fine sounding factory radio/stereo, soft closing doors -- exemplary ride and handling -- all very comfortable . I even prefer the feel of the hydraulic steering in this car (the new BMWs are electric steering - to improve gas mileage - I have a new BMW too and road feel just isnt there). It still stops on a dime and straight as an arrow. And the Li is about 5 or 6 inches longer than the standard 745, and that extra long wheel base just makes driving a dream. It is showing signs of age however, even though mileage is fairly low for a fourteen year old car. These cars can cost a bomb to maintain. Here are a few items that were replaced under the original factory warranty: the radio (complete failure), the gas gage (sender inside the tank), one small suspension part. Here are a few items that were replaced after the warranty expired: the two coronas surrounding the headlights (very expensive), the disc brake rotors and pads (very expensive), the transmission filter and pan (very expensive), two key fobs (very expensive, to replace the two originals that failed), the 12V battery in the trunk (twice - not cheap), all of the engine hoses and belts (preventative maintenance - expensive, the guibo (relates to the drive shaft, like a universal joint) expensive. Did I say this car costs a bomb to maintain? Ok it really doesnt if its just regular maintenance, but if something fails, its always expensive, and the dealerships really know how to work those billing hours such that you pay luxury prices for a luxury vehicle even if it is now just a mere shadow of its former self. Here are a few items that have failed but havent been replaced/repaired: the front hood support struts (they dont hold the hood up any more); the rear trunk support struts (they dont hold the trunk open any more); the rear trunk hydraulic motor (it doesnt lift the trunk any more); the GPS navigation unit (2003 was the last year of the CD disc type rather than DVD, it works intermittently but usually not when you need it - iPhones with Google maps are so much better anyway). If I knew that the transmission would last another five years, I would replace all of this, but..... Here are a few black clouds hanging over the car waiting to fail: the transmission. Just google BMW 745 transmission problems for the year of the car, and youll see all kinds of odd behaviors that I wont repeat here. Expensive to repair (very specialized) and very expensive to replace (starting to be close to more than the entire car is worth). The electronic suspension and directional stability control. One of the computers has been throwing a lot of warning codes up on the digital display when the car takes a corner, especially when cold - and something about See your BMW dealer immediately. Hard to tell whether its the computer thats messing up, or the suspension is actually having cardiac arrest. Turning the car off and then back on clears the code. So far, so good, but I keep waiting for the big one. In summary, if I spread the cost of repairs over its 14 year life, and add in the depreciation (which is very high for almost any luxury vehicle), and maintenance, a car like this doesnt make any economic sense whatsoever. But the longer I keep it, and the longer it runs without a major failure, the more cost effective it becomes. I hope that expensive failure is still a few years away, as the car is a joy to drive just like it was when new."

Utimate Driving machine

By on Monday, December 19, 2011

Pros: "smoothness, tight steering, power, comfortibility"

Cons: "not a big enough center console"

"Smooth GREAT ride! the most comfortable car i have ever been in. I have the sport package and it hugs the road like no other. All I have really had to do is change the oil. Very fast and fun car. I would recommend this car to anyone who likes powerer, but also needs a nice classy four door sedan."

Excellent car, no troubles and great service

By on Thursday, October 27, 2011

Pros: "Great car all around."

"The car is nothing but joy to drive. I selected 750i for the driving dynamics. The il has more rear seat room but the i has plenty and I did not see a reason to give up on great driving performance of the i for the little extra rear space in il. The car drives fantastic, is great to look at and above all has had less issues compared to my other cars. I love this car!"

shopahollic

By on Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"The 2003 760 is one of the funnest cars to drive only thing is its in the shop every 3 months. Replaced radio, radiator,waterpump,radio and nav, drivers seat, antifreeze sensor and more. Never by a first year anything,this car has given me nothing but problems. No warranty no life because this car will break you."

Awesome vehicle

By on Saturday, January 31, 2009

"I have owned 2 745s & curently drive a 2003 with the sport package and its been a pretty realiable car. yes I have had minor problems but so far none of the monster problems I have read about. As the 745 gets older there are less and less out there with any factory warranty left so make sure you find one that has not beeb beaten. I think the 745 is a terrific value in the used car market right now."

Best car

By on Wednesday, August 29, 2007

"I purchased a BMW Certified 745LI @ 39000 miles...Best car ever. Comfort, speed and reliability. Minor things have needed attention...my local dealer is excellent at scheduling and servicing...They also provide me with a loaner. Will definitely buy another when the warranty runs out. Only down side...would be scared to keep when warranty and extended maintenance runs out...very expensive, if it were out of pocket."

Power and luxury up to Warranty Expiration

By on Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pros: "Power, luxury features, esthetics"

Cons: "Eletrical, post-Warranty"

"Enjoyed owning this vehicle. Purchased new and it was all that I expected for the first few years. Pros: Power, luxury features, fun to drive, esthetics, service (up to warranty expiration) Cons: Problems after warranty expiration, especially electrical"

BMW 7

By on Friday, April 29, 2011

"No finer , more comfortable and fun vehicle on the road. My wife says being driven in it makes her feel like a million bucks. The added benefit is its fun for the driver, as well. Its not a sports car but it handles beautifully for a bigger car."

750li

By on Saturday, February 6, 2010

"Fantastic car, i like every major thing about it. I had to buy a second car just to keep the miles down, because i was enjoying driving it a bit to much. Bought it with 17500(2006), and had to put tires on it at about 20000. I heard about the tire issues with this car so the jury is still out on that. Minor thing, i would like the side view mirrors to fold in(auto). The price of the extended warranty went up 600.00 since i purchased the car, so make sure you get it when you buy the car. Happy driving people."

Has been a Great Car

By on Friday, August 7, 2009

"I have now driven this 2006 750i 127,000 miles (yes that many) since I do a LOT of traveling. It has been a great car and a pure joy to drive. My only complaint is man does it like to go through rear tires....but I guess thats the price for that much engine power going to the rear wheels."

745LI(2004) and M3(2005)

By on Saturday, July 25, 2009

"I bought both cars new. The 745Li has a lot of room. I got triplets and all their car seats fit nicely in the back seat. I am starting to have a few problems ex: radio amp goes in and out, various lights on dash come on randomly. What would give this car 5s all the way around is to purchase the maintenance and repair extended warranties. You gotta like computers."

great 4 door luxury sedan

By on Sunday, June 14, 2009

"really like this car for looks, power, and ride. has very comfortable ride enough power for its size but would want more power like 400hp to compare to the s55 but i like the roomy interior and the attention grabber!"

Big Mistake

By on Friday, July 18, 2008

"This car has been a real let down. Also, the value of this vehicle dropped like a rock after I bought it - lucky for me it was a lease. The interior doesn't hold up well, the controls are confusing, and lots of little electrical problems. Also, paint chips like mad all over the car. Only 20K miles in two years and looks like it has 50k. Won't make this mistake again."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 7 Series near Honolulu. See local deals