1999 BMW 7 Series

Based on 331 Ratings for the 1995 - 2001 models.

My 2000 BMW 740IL

By on Wednesday, December 12, 2007

"This is an awesome car. It drives and handles like a dream. I have had few problems with my car and I bought it with 70K miles on it. It was on a car lot for a year before I finally bought it. The biggest problem I had is getting a mechanic to tell me the truth about what actually needed fixing. when my power steering hoses leaked, I had a mechanic change all my hoses & belts to include flushing the radiator. it was a bit much at first, but not nearly the cost of dealer work. I changed the thermostat myself and I can do small minor work on my car when needed. This car was worth the money I paid for it. I also changged my right rear window motor also. It was a tough job, but I did it and saved $450.00 during the process."

The best car I have ever owned

By on Friday, February 15, 2013

Reason: High miles

Pros: "Powerful engine, very comfortable, handling"

Cons: "Repairs maybe costly. High city consumption"

"I have had several BMW's and so far the E38 is the best. Extremely comfortable, if you have the full functioning seats. I own two 3 series now and will be looking for a low milage sports package soon. Repairs can be expensive but if you are mechanically inclined you can do most of the work yourself. I have to say any BMW engine is as simple as a honda, you just ge to to know it. I put on average 30k every year on my 7 and never left me on the road except for a blown tire. So yes, if you can find a well maintained 7 series and do not mind the maintanence I strogly recommend the vehicle."

2 740's in the driveway

By on Thursday, March 25, 2010

"I had always wanted a 7 series or a jaguar and am a bit of a car nut having already driven infinity, stealth, Porsche. Got a 99 jag xj8 with 21K and drove it for 5 years. I loved the jag, but at about 125k miles, it started for feel a little old. I traded for a 2001 740 IL with 72K on the clock. WOW. I couldn't believe the difference. It feels like a new car every time I get in it. The only maintenance beyond normal was power steering hose and radiator at 110K. The ride is incredible, power undeniable and gas milage in the 25 mpg range at 75+ mph. It now has 123K and going strong. I bought 98 740i for my son with 92K on it and it also drives like a new car. I am a believer. The ultimate driving machine is an understatement."

Simplicity, Reliability and Classy

By on Thursday, June 19, 2008

"In the 6 years I have driven the 1995 BMW 740i, I have always been confident that not only would I reach my destination safely, but that I wouldn't be exhausted upon arriving. The car has excellent power and the drive is incredibly quiet. I purchased the car second hand 6 years ago when the car had 24000 miles on the odometer. Other than the usual maintenance requirements (like oil changes), the car has not had any major problems. It has been the best car I have ever owned...I've owned a total of 18 cars."

Finest car I've ever owned

By on Sunday, December 16, 2007

"I bought my 1996 740iL when it was 8 years old, and had right at 100K miles (now has 146K). I still smile every time I drive it. Had a 1991 525i prior to this, and enjoyed it, too....but it didn't hold a candle to my 7. Perfomance is amazing...luxury a given...and, like many others here, I get about 21/27 MPG! You'll have a hard time finding any new cars that feel as good. I've driven Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferarri, and many others. While they are a blast, I'll take mine as a daily driver. Same luxury feel, great performance...and you can take 4 or 5 of your friends/family with you. What a deal! As to the naysayers: This car will cost money to maintain (compared to a Honda Civic), but it doesn't drive/perform/feel like a Honda either (Thankfully!!). You are either prepared for the cost, or you aren't. Another car guy once told me 'If you can't afford the tires, you can't afford the car'. He wasn't specifically talking about tires, of course, but you get the idea. Also, as some have mentioned, there are some great forums for the e38, for you DIY folks. Many of the links I found even include step by step instructions, and pictures! Good luck."

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 7 Series near Honolulu. See local deals