2012 BMW 5 Series

8.3

Based on 127 Ratings for the 2011 - 2016 models.

Great driver but...

By on Friday, December 16, 2016

Pros: "absolutly a drivers car!"

Cons: "cupholders, interior wear, servicability"

"2011 528i - premium package purchased this car in Florida, moved it to Oklahoma a few years ago. Love the feeling in the drivers seat! excellent control, comfort, cruise control is the best Ive ever used... It is one of my favorite cars to drive. Passenger comfort is very good, it is still a sports car at heart so they feel the road too. Real world fuel economy with the six is actually better than our MK5 Jetta 2.5L was. Hate the cupholders! Not enough in the front and when the multi-piece plastic fingers fail, the spring pops through cups and empties your huge american drink into the console, shorting out the lighter plug... c'mon BMW, this car is aimed at the american market, you should have better ways to hold our stuff for long drives! I know your engineers must be saying, who needs cupholders, the autobahn is only a few hours of driving. Americans can have a few hours commute every day and road trips, forget it, the japanese brands and CHRYSLER have better cupholders. The fuse panel with the cupholder fuse is a full arms length reach into the glove box hole, not serviceable on the side of the road... couple hundred bucks to replace a fuse at the dealer if you don't have extended warranty. (get the warranty!) Hate the spray on soft touch plastic around control buttons and vents. failed and replaced by dealer at 2 years, needs replaced again?!? this aspect was designed to wear out prematurely? Run-Flats that are not patch-able for nail/screw means your replacing a pair of premium tires every time you find road debris... trunk space may make up for that, its a tough call."

Great Cruiser!

By on Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Pros: "great road feel, great utility,"

Cons: "2013 Idrive not android friendly"

"This car is wonderful. You have to spend more than a few miles in it and it will grow on you instantly. Huge backseat and storage, luxury and comfort for the driver and passenger, perfect for a car seat and road trip, or put the back seats down and use it for utility (just get the rubber trunk mat!) I'm reconfiguring the backseat as a mobile office with laptop tray and great for Real Estate showings and just overall chauffeuring that is pleasant for both driver and passengers. It is a little button heavy with technology but you will get used to it really quick (what newer cars are not these days?)Don't let visual reviews fool you. This is beauty in the eye of the beholder, and from the inside looking out, not from the outside looking in."

I love my car! 2012 525i Xdrive

By on Thursday, December 31, 2015

Pros: "Great handling, fast, comfortable"

Cons: "little leg room in rear"

"I purchased the vehicle as CPO in November. At this time I do not have to worry when it comes to maintenance since it's covered until 1/17/2018. The driving experience is without question the best. The vehicle handles like a dream. The multiple driving options (ECO, Comfort, and Sports) was a pleasant surprise. I normally drive the car in Comfort mode but I'm glad to have the Sports mode, which turns the vehicle into a monster. Thanks to the Xdrive during a recent down pour I had complete confidence. No more worrying about hydroplaning. Other vehicles were pulling over and I was able to muscle right through the storm with ease. The Stop/Start option is nice but can be annoying so for the most part I disengage it. The interior is beautiful and very comfortable."

Great car but plenty of hidden costs to maintain

By on Saturday, December 10, 2016

Pros: "Fun to drive, awesome looking car, plenty of room"

Cons: "Expensive to maintain. Too many hidden costs."

"Enjoy driving this car and looks outstanding. Plenty of room inside and handle tremendously well. Too good to be true? Expect to buy new tires every 12-18 months (4x$450) and brake pads ($2k). The BMW PCO warranty is great for most items but expect to bring in for service every 3 months ($60/visit minimum). Suspension had to be replaced. (covered in PCO). Built-in DVD system went out and not covered under warranty. Battery replaced every 2 years and must be installed by dealer to reset electronics ($550 if buy battery outside of dealer, $750 buy from dealer). Expect to spend at least $2500/year on maintenance outside of warranty or PCO."

Holding up

By on Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Pros: "Dependable, good AWD, decent mpg, comfortable"

Cons: "Pricey, comes with runflats, lose them join AAA"

"We plan on running this car until it drops, and so far it has shown no sign of stopping. BMWs are pricey and with only one dealership in commuting range their prices aren't very flexible but the car is great. Other than routine maintenance we haven't put a dime into it, nothing has needed replacing or repair, all service is done at a local garage for about half of what the BMW center charges. Even with 103,000 the car still looks and performs like new. Not our first BMW, not our last."

Be Ready to Pay

By on Thursday, May 18, 2017

Pros: "Beautiful car, Luxurious interior"

Cons: "Expensive Maintenance, Fragile, Complex technology"

"This is my 3rd BMW and the second BMW 5 series that I own. These cars are really beautiful and luxurious but extremely expensive to maintain. I bought the 2011 two years ago and it is in the shop every three months for serious repairs. I had to repair for gasoline tank leaks, the front display went blank, and recently the steering wheel mechanism for stuck. It is +1,000 after 1,000. The mechanism in this car is so complex that no repair is cheap. I have spent so far +3,000 in repairs in two years, besides the regular maintenance. We had a similar situation with the previous 5 series(+4,000), and we thought it was that specific car, but no. This is the type of car where an extended warranty is required (they are no cheap either for a reason!). As much as we love the comfort and the luxurious of the interior, we decided to get rid of it."

By on Saturday, November 12, 2011

"Makes you feel you are in a Lexus LS 460 for less money!"

Third BMW, last BMW...

By on Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Reason: Not reliable

Pros: "Great handling, nice features"

Cons: "Not reliable"

"I didn't think I could ever drive anything but a Bimmer. The handling, ride, and features of BMW are great- when they're working. My 535i had electrical issues, brake squeaks that could never be resolved, and spent significant amounts of time in the shop for warranty work. The run-flat tires caused the sensors to alert frequently (temperature variations, etc.) The last straw was when the car completely shut down WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD. Fun fact, there's no easy way to put a BMW into neutral and push it out of a busy roadway after the electrical system shuts down. Mind you, the car was only about 20 months old. It was ridiculous driving a beautiful new BMW and having squealing brakes at every stop, which the dealer never resolved and even tried to blame on the way I was braking."

BMW is not the utimate driving machine

By on Sunday, July 22, 2012

Pros: "Good Gas Milage"

Cons: "Poor Value, and Reliability"

"For what this car cost it is not in my top ten. It rattles, has been in the shop 3 times and BMW still has not fixed the problem. I don't think they will ever fix the problem. My advice stay away and get something else."

Great car

By on Thursday, February 23, 2012

Pros: "a very great drive"

Cons: "tech can be a little hard to understand"

"Unique, cool and fun to drive."

2011 550xi / Sport

By on Sunday, July 24, 2011

Pros: "Power when you want it, Luxury when you dont."

Cons: "Potholes in MA are a tad harsh w/ Sport suspension and 20" wheels."

"This new 550i for 2011, by my experience, trumps the competition and raises the bar in every possible way from the previous BMW 5 series. Not a fan of the previous 5er bodystyle; however, loved the one prior to that from 98-04. That said, they don't always get it right, but they hit bull's eye w/ this one all around. Performance is second to none; turbo-lag non existent. Adaptive driving modes (Comfort, Normal, Sport, Sport ) shows that you can't please everybody with the the same thing, so you can decide how you want the car to respond - love that feature. Amount of technology in this car, especially when adding head-up display, comfort access,"

I recently bought a 550i sport and love it.

By on Sunday, June 17, 2012

Pros: "performance, style, interior, family space (trunk)"

Cons: "the cup holders block some controls."

"I test drove the A6, E550, CTSV and Lexus. The BMW was the last car I test drove and I knew within a few minutes I was going to own one. This is the first BMW I've owned and I'm a fan now. If you decide to buy one, I recommend the DINAN stage 2 chip upgrade. I did and my 550i is now equal to the CTSV. I've owned a few nice cars C43, Porsche 996 Turbo and a Shelby GT500. This is the best one so far, no matter what the reviews say, this car is awesome!"

Gotta love that German engineering!

By on Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Pros: "Great handling, quiet cabin, free maintenance"

Cons: "voice ativation issues"

"As a previous MB and LS460 owner just to name a few. The 5 series is clearly the best thats offered today in terms of performance, quality and style. Great gas mileage BTW which is great nowadays! Check it out!"

BMW 5 Series Goes Luxury

By on Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"This is one of several BMWs I currently own and the fourth 5 series. Compared with prior versions such as the '08 and '03 models, this car is definitely more luxurious in trim, feel. and passenger comfort. At least that's what my passengers say. I'm always driving it. To be honest, it has lost some of the more sporting feel and handling of previous models in favor of more which is not necessarily a bad thing. It's just a departure in packaging from previous models. My only real gripe is the electronic steering which has removed all road feel from the driving experience. The steering is very sensitive to even small movements of the steering wheel which takes a little getting used to. Seating is very comfortable even on long trips. Fuel economy is quite good for a car this size averaging about 23MPG. Acceleration is extremely smooth and I find myself going much faster than I think I am. The i-Drive is much more intuitive now than before so you don't even need to read the Owner's Manual to figure it out! Overall a great car."

2011 535xi

By on Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pros: "Styling, finish."

Cons: "Read above. And tech is not great, iDrive clumsy. Esp scrolling music from an iPod."

"Hugely disappointing. I'll cut to the chase. There is tremendous lag or delay, when accelerating from a complete stop. The car delays for about .75 of a second before lurching forward. Are you kidding me? Apparently, other 535 owners are reporting the same, and when I took the car back to my local dealership, service confirmed the problem and said the same was found in other cars they tested. Why would BMW allow these cars to be sold? The car is beautiful, fit and finish better then Audi A6, but engine unacceptable. Stay away from this car."

excellent car

By on Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Pros: "see above"

Cons: "see above"

"i traded in my jaguar xf for this car...the jag was getting terrible gas mileage and needed new brakes every 15k or so....at a cost of almost one thousand dollars.....i first looked at an audi, but after test driving it, and then the bmw 5 i felt there was no comparison....i think the one draw back is storage space in the front....barely enough for a pair of sunglasses and a few items in the center console.....also, seems strange that a car that ran me over 60k has no spare....yes, run on flat tires, but would of rather regular tires with a spare....."

Incredible Car!

By on Thursday, October 3, 2013

I don't own this car

Pros: "Great economy. Fun to drive"

"We drove this BMW 525 X Drive Diesel rental for two weeks around Europe including Germany, Austria, Italy. The 5 Series X Drive Diesel was flawless. Fuel runs around $8 per gallon in Europe so having a diesel was great. I thought we would have to trade performance for economy. Not at all! We drove Germany Autobahn speeds and winding mountain roads without any hesitation. Quiet with plenty of power and fun to drive. The navigation system is intuitive. The parking sensors really helped out in those tight Italian parking spots. Awesome Car! Why don't we have more diesel cars in the US?"

Love Love Love the Car

By on Friday, March 23, 2012

Pros: "Best BMW, owned 2 - 3's and 3 - 5's"

Cons: "Run Flat Tires - I wish they were real tires!"

Nice and Clean

"Just traded in the 2008 535xit Sport Wagon for the new 5281 x drive. I am amazed! The ride, the power, the styling, the iDrive - all amazing. I recommend the BMW Apps feature and the Concierge Service. You can look up your destination on GoogleMaps and send it to the car in just a few clicks. Otherwise in the car, BMW Online connects you to the internet via Google for searches, included apps are; fuel prices, and Yelp - even the weather displays on your screen. The BMW Apps allows internet radio and Pandora, but you are using your data plan. The interior lighting is pleasant and well as the comfort and design of the seats. The rear heated seats make my children happy while waitng for the bus in the morning. If they could make this model a convertible - I would buy it! Going from a 300hp 6 cylinder engine to the new 240hp 4 cylinder has not been an issue - it is nice to have the choice of ECO, Comfort or Sport for power. I have no complaints. I do miss my panoranic sunroof though."

Nice and Clean

The Ultimate Driving Machine

By on Friday, November 19, 2010

"This is my 3rd 535i over the last 8 years. I had taken a European delivery and the experience in Munich was wonderful. There is a marked improvement over the 2008 model and the Comfort and Sports driving is wonderful except that it is a little smoother and does not give the road feel like the earlier one. I remember when I bought my first 5 series in 2002, the sales man told me while giving the keys that I challenge you to buy a different car make in future. He was right. I have test driven many others over the years and nothing can beat the BMW. I just love this car."

Gorgeous car in excellent condition. Fun to drive

By on Saturday, January 30, 2016

Pros: "fun to drive"

Cons: "I wish it had more power,next time, will get an m4"

"Best handling vehicle I ever owned. This vehicle is fully loaded, power everything with sport package run flat 19' wheels,white exterior with black nappa leather interior, 8 speed automatic paddle shifter, navigation, not a ding or scratch, extending warranty that I never used, very reliable, gorgeous car, it's a must see vehicle in excellent condition, i wish it had a little more power, next time i'll get an m4."

No one can beat BMW's warranty

By on Thursday, January 2, 2014

Pros: "Great technology, smooth, & quiet, fun to drive"

Cons: "Body style lackluster, leather needs improvement"

"Debated between the E-Class & 5 series, but as a current happy 5-series owner, I've learned the power & peace of mind stemming from BMW's warranty program. My 2004 525i lasted 9 1/2 years w/ really no issues other than what was covered under the warranty (& it's still in great shape, but I was ready for a new car). Wish Mercedes would step up to the plate with the same offering w/ no additional cost. The new 528i 2014 interior is definitely upgraded. Technology is mind boggling! A smooth drive. Only disappointment is that the body style is so similar to the 3 series. I loved the distinguishable look of the '04 body. But I caved in and bought another 5 series due to the reliability!"

EXCELLENT CAR!

By on Saturday, November 23, 2013

Pros: "VERY VERSATILE, EXCELLENT LONG DISTANCE DRIVER"

Cons: "POOR RESALE AND FUEL ECONOMY"

"Great car overall. I can fit my Great Dane in the back. It is a luxury tourer when I need it. Great in the snow with snow tires. Quiet and really fast! I do wish it got better gas mileage. I get only about 21mpg on the interstate at 80mph."

This car is a beast!

By on Monday, November 14, 2011

Pros: "Fun to drive, handles well, excellent gas milage"

"The new body style and the improved engine performance make this a winner! This is my fourth 5 series and by far this top them all. BMW knows how to move the bar."

throttle tip in issue 2011 528 i (m sport)

By on Monday, January 14, 2013

Reason: throttle tip in issue

Pros: "looking great exteriror & interior"

Cons: "lag , lag and lag .. driving around town sometimes"

"this lag i have to deal with daily. step on the gas gently car hesitates , too much it launches forward like in a drag race,"

Best car I ever ownedw

By on Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Was reluctant to buy at first because I enjoy a soft ride of a Lexus. Owned several 3 series and great handling but tough ride! Owned several Lexus and very soft ride but doesn't handle as well as BMW. Decided to try 5 series and pleasantly surprised, both great ride and handling. Although the Lexus is a better buy I plan to replace my 2011 model with a 2013 because I like it that much"

Find Deals Near You vehicles for sale matching BMW 5 Series near Honolulu. See local deals